Gran Turismo Sport: General Discussion

• Thread starter Formidable
  • 47,123 comments
Emulation takes a lot more power so strange comparison to make. I'm on about the latest phones. Should run cooler, take less power with a lot better performance.

High-end phones run hot when playing Real Racing 3, a native mobile game.

I'll ask again. How are these phones going to run a game at 1080/60 with graphics better than a late PS3 game (known to be one of the best looking PS3 games)?

Did you even read what I typed?

If the most powerful phones (i.e. Xperia Z5 Premium, Galaxy S6 Edge, etc) struggle to play 6th gen games properly (frame drops are prevalent), how can they handle a game with graphical capabilities that are above that of a PS3?

I have a friend who owns a Z5 Premium, and he has a Gamecube emulator on it. When using it, his phone gets stupidly hot, and the game drops frames very often.

Although I agree with the point you're making that's not the best example to use - emulation is considerably more difficult to do than running a game natively and so requires quite a bit more power than you'd think. Saying phones can't emulate games of that era is different to saying they can't play them, when they've been ported (which they can do perfectly fine from the ones I've seen).

But ultimately yes you're right, whilst phones can benchmark well in some ways, a lot of unavoidable compromises have to be made for the sake of power, heat and suchlike (don't forget other restrictions like storage - you think Apple will let you upload all the assets of a 25GB Blu-ray disc to the App Store anytime soon? :P ). Run a PS4 game with all the bells and whistles you'd come to expect, you can't do today.

It's a bit of a moot discussion though I think - PD are already making a mobile game. It's called GT Sport, and it will "run" on your PS Vita, won't it? You just need a PS4 within a few feet of you, that's all........ :D But seriously, if streaming services continue to grow, then that could well be the future of mobile gaming - it won't matter what processor your phone has, you'll be able to play whatever console-quality game you want, probably.

High-end phones run hot when playing Real Racing 3, a native mobile game.

I'll ask again. How are these phones going to run a game at 1080/60 with graphics better than a late PS3 game (known to be one of the best looking PS3 games)?
Think it runs 1080p 60FPS on 6S Plus and doesn't get hot IIRC:

Having a lot more GPU power and RAM should make it a lot easier to run better. GPU on left should be better than one in PS3, should leave a lot of headroom to do something better graphically with the mobile phone GPU on the right given how much extra performance it has.

T-Rex Benchmark.png

Think it runs 1080p 60FPS on 6S Plus and doesn't get hot IIRC:

Having a lot more GPU power and RAM should make it a lot easier to run better. GPU on left should be better than one in PS3, should leave a lot of headroom to do something better graphically with the mobile phone GPU on the right given how much extra performance it has.

View attachment 523662

That looks a lot better than I remember to be fair, but ye gods, the sound is shocking.

They're hiring mobile app engineers, wonder if they will expand beyond just companion apps. Also I wonder why they made GT6 UI support touch?

Mobile gaming has a lot of potential with hardware and accessories currently available. There is this funny racing game for Gear VR (Hopefully Real Racing 3 is updated to support VR):

Last edited:
The question is, WHY should anyone play a racing game seriously on a mobile phone??

I'm scratching my head on why the hell would i wanna play a gt game on a phone???

Why not? There are plenty of game types/genres which are fun to play at home which can also be fun to play on the go. I don't see why racing games like GT should be an exception to that. Despite its faults I enjoyed GT PSP for instance (even if most people didn't :P )

No you didn't. You chose to.

Fair enough. It was, though, in the (naive) belief that the PS4 would bring an end to the development issues that plagued the PS3. I really believed the next GT would release 12-18 months after launch. In fact, WWS have, IMO, had even worse issues than last gen.

I fondly remember the sound bites from devs (including Kaz) at the PS4 reveal in February 2013. 'very simple' 'blank canvas' etc.

As much as I'm criticising, the bottom line is I believe GTS will be a great game. It's just a pity Sony/PD seem hell bent on testing the fans loyalty. I now don't expect things to improve much at all for the rest of the gen with their big focus on PSVR.

SlipZtrEm
No need to apologize!

But really, you're looking at it all wrong. There's no need for it to be "moving over" to another franchise. GT's feelings aren't going to be hurt if you enjoy more than one driving game at a time.

Oh, I know that, but the usual response is: If you don't like it you know where the door is.

Yes we all need 4k 120fps in GTSport because everyone has 4k displays nowdays
I have more intrest in a 4k racing game than a racing game with PSVR.
Have you seen 4k? It's phenomenal.

Last edited:
Fair enough. It was, though, in the (naive) belief that the PS4 would bring an end to the development issues that plagued the PS3. I really believed the next GT would release 12-18 months after launch. In fact, WWS have, IMO, had even worse issues than last gen.

Oh, I understand that. It's why I didn't buy a PS3 until GT5 had a genuine release date, not just vague time frames. Of course, then it got delayed anyway. :lol:

Still, in GT6's case, it came out around the same time as the new system. If you're a GT fan, I can't understand all-out skipping a title, even one as divisive as GT6.

I fondly remember the sound bites from devs (including Kaz) at the PS4 reveal in February 2013. 'very simple' 'blank canvas' etc.

I was just reading those last night, actually. Yep, it's now been three years since the PS4 release and those statements...

As much as I'm criticising, the bottom line is I believe GTS will be a great game. It's just a pity Sony/PD seem hell bent on testing the fans loyalty. I now don't expect things to improve much at all for the rest of the gen with their big focus on PSVR.

I'm reasonably sure GTS can be a great game. It sort of has to at this point: Sony and PD can't have a middling game after this long. There's a lot riding on the title, and the genre has never been stronger than 2016. I hope for the best, but with so little information given to us, it's hard to go on anything other than that.

Oh, I know that, but the usual response is: If you don't like it you know where the door is.

And that response is a silly one. :)

I have more intrest in a 4k racing game, than a racing game with PSVR.
Have you seen 4k? It's phenomenal.

Really? I mean, I don't deny it's impressive, but for immersion, more pixels pales in comparison to VR, IMO. I don't have (nor plan on getting) a TV large enough to make a noticeable difference between 1080p and 4K, and this generation won't run it anyway.

Meanwhile, I've tried VR, and it really does trick you. It's eerie, but very cool. I have yet to try it with a racing game, but if it's anything like the Oculus Rift demo I tried over a year ago, it'll be an excellent addition to the experience.

Oh, I understand that. It's why I didn't buy a PS3 until GT5 had a genuine release date, not just vague time frames. Of course, then it got delayed anyway. :lol:

Still, in GT6's case, it came out around the same time as the new system. If you're a GT fan, I can't understand all-out skipping a title, even one as divisive as GT6.

I was just reading those last night, actually. Yep, it's now been three years since the PS4 release and those statements...

I'm reasonably sure GTS can be a great game. It sort of has to at this point: Sony and PD can't have a middling game after this long. There's a lot riding on the title, and the genre has never been stronger than 2016. I hope for the best, but with so little information given to us, it's hard to go on anything other than that.

And that response is a silly one. :)

Really? I mean, I don't deny it's impressive, but for immersion, more pixels pales in comparison to VR, IMO. I don't have (nor plan on getting) a TV large enough to make a noticeable difference between 1080p and 4K, and this generation won't run it anyway.

Meanwhile, I've tried VR, and it really does trick you. It's eerie, but very cool. I have yet to try it with a racing game, but if it's anything like the Oculus Rift demo I tried over a year ago, it'll be an excellent addition to the experience.
I don't doubt PSVR can be a great feature, but I strongly suspect it will be the new PD flagship for why they can't make games quickly, or why they're unfinished.
It sounds very reminiscent of the GT5 era, where PD focused on new technology to push that Sony is selling. It seems to me like they're more concerned with selling me accessories than making GT actually work properly. At least that was the way it seemed on PS3.
I expect GTS will come out and be 70% of a great game that needs updates, but the PSVR will work fine, because of taking the front row seat.

4K is just good graphics, which GT always has, and they've (pd) shown they can make games with good graphics without getting sidetracked or forgetting the rest of the game.(GT1-4)
(yes I know not to expect a 4k game on PS4)

I don't doubt PSVR can be a great feature, but I strongly suspect it will be the new PD flagship for why they can't make games quickly, or why they're unfinished.
It sounds very reminiscent of the GT5 era, where PD focused on new technology to push that Sony is selling. It seems to me like they're more concerned with selling me accessories than making GT actually work properly. At least that was the way it seemed on PS3.
I expect GTS will come out and be 70% of a great game that needs updates, but the PSVR will work fine, because of taking the front row seat.

4K is just good graphics, which GT always has, and they've (pd) shown they can make games with good graphics without getting sidetracked or forgetting the rest of the game.(GT1-4)
(yes I know not to expect a 4k game on PS4)

I'm with @SlipZtrEm on this one - VR all the way...

Oh, it's better than that. Here's something from before GT6 that I think you guys will find interesting to read again:

http://www.polygon.com/2013/9/11/47...-talks-physics-engines-smartphone-linkups-and

Some choice quotes from our friend Kaz:

The PlayStation 4 game which we'll likely call GT7 will be done in about a year or two, I think, and I think the community aspect's going to be vital there as well.

It probably ended up being called GTS instead of GT7, but this was September 2013. It's looking like we'll be lucky if it's done in three years.

Someday I'd like to try making the game playable on mobile devices, but we're starting out just with community tools for now. Technically it's possible, but it'll be a gradual sort of thing.

How relevant to the current direction of the thread. GT:iPhone Edition confirmed.

P.S. For extra hilarity, here was his assessment of how complete GT6 was in September 2013:

The basic components are already complete, so overall I'd have to say about 80 percent. The physics engine, the steering controls; those parts of the user interface are things that we fine tune-right up to the very end. Things like the game modes; I can say that those are complete.

Game modes. Complete. Yes.

Pull the other one, it dispenses candy.

It probably ended up being called GTS instead of GT7, but this was September 2013. It's looking like we'll be lucky if it's done in three years.
The sad part is that it seems like he was likely talking about a full-fledged game, rather then what GTS is appearing to be. Now, I don't necessarily have a problem with what GTS is doing, but reading things like that is a bit discouraging seeing the lack of progress.

How relevant to the current direction of the thread. GT:iPhone Edition confirmed.
Great find. 👍

Seems possible then that one day I can be playing a proper GT game on mobile phone. Only way now is emulating the PSP game.

Why not? There are plenty of game types/genres which are fun to play at home which can also be fun to play on the go. I don't see why racing games like GT should be an exception to that. Despite its faults I enjoyed GT PSP for instance (even if most people didn't :P )
I loved GT PSP, the thing is that on the PSP you had buttons to press instead of just a touchscreen!

^^^The person who typed the thread/poll is the author, and the site is the publisher.
I'm with @SlipZtrEm on this one - VR all the way...
It really wouldn't surprise me to hear PSVR compatibility is why the game's taking twice as long as Kaz claimed, and that's my point.

VR sounds awesome, but with PD, I suspect every other part of the game will be neglected because of it's high priority.

Back