Gran Turismo Sport: General Discussion

• Thread starter Formidable
  • 47,123 comments
there are 1080p HDR TVs too ;)

Really? I have never seen one anywhere, ever. In fact, I've seen comments on other forums to the contrary, asserting there is no such thing. I would genuinely be interested if there were, because I'd rather have a 1080p HDR set than a 4K, non-HDR one.

I remenber saw at eurogamer that some 1080p tvs havr HDR support. I think that Dony even showed some gameplay of this zumbi game with HDR on with a 1080p TV.

I can't watch that with sound right now so I don't know what it's saying but I don't know of any. It's a selling point for 4K sets and is part of the 4K specs. Before PS Pro existed there was no possibility of 1080p HDR content, so why would anyone make a TV to those specs?

"Guys, we need to show off GT Sport on the most powerful, most advanced PlayStation in history. What visually stunning location should we use? An immersive Green Hell? Brands at sunset?"

"Sir, I recommend the endlessly gray corridor that is the Tokyo track."

"Brilliant, you get a raise!"

Joking aside, after seeing the difference between usual FH3 and FH3 with HDR, I will say it's quite the difference. I'm sure it'll be equally as stunning in GT Sport. Then again, graphics have been the one (and increasingly, only) area I haven't been concerned about with the new game.
Might be interesting to see HDR difference through the tunnel though and IMO some of the photos of the new Tokyo track were the best looking ones. I do hope they bring back the London track, one of my favourites. They sure like to go there for events, surprised GTPlanet wasn't invited unless they were?

I might wait until there are smaller, faster and better Sony TVs with Backlight Master Drive before getting HDR TV for bedroom, wonder how long they're going to delay game for. Tempted to order a PS4 Pro for launch day delivery and upgrade from recently purchased 1TB PS4, will try and resist and hope there is a GT branded one coming out soon™.

Hopefully for gaming shows, Sony update hardware to 4K HDR TVs, PS4 Pro and maybe even the new direct-drive wheel, should make it more worthwhile for people attending and result to more impressions shared.

Really? I have never seen one anywhere, ever. In fact, I've seen comments on other forums to the contrary, asserting there is no such thing. I would genuinely be interested if there were, because I'd rather have a 1080p HDR set than a 4K, non-HDR one.

There are no TV's in the market today that are 1080p and support HDR - Vendor's are using HDR tech as a way to push 4k sales, which leads to higher profits. There is no technical reason that 1080p tv's cannot support HDR - but currently nobody is producing a TV that is available for consumers. http://www.techhive.com/article/302...-to-know-if-you-plan-to-buy-a-tv-in-2016.html

Might be interesting to see HDR difference through the tunnel though and IMO some of the photos of the new Tokyo track were the best looking ones. I do hope they bring back the London track, one of my favourites. They sure like to go there for events, surprised GTPlanet wasn't invited unless they were?

Nah, we're busy elsewhere. This isn't a major event like the Copper Box was. 👍

I might wait until there are smaller, faster and better Sony TVs with Backlight Master Drive before getting HDR TV for bedroom, wonder how long they're going to delay game for. Tempted to order a PS4 Pro for launch day delivery and upgrade from recently purchased 1TB PS4, will try and resist and hope there is a GT branded one coming out soon™.

Why buy a Pro when the vanilla PS4's capable of 4K with little more than an update, apparently?

Hopefully for gaming shows, Sony update hardware to 4K HDR TVs, PS4 Pro and maybe even the new direct-drive wheel, should make it more worthwhile for people attending and result to more impressions shared.

It'd certainly offer more for people to talk about, sure (though they shouldn't completely abandon regular PS4+1080P setups for comparison purposes). The problem is Polyphony barring direct-capture (though oddly being fine with shoddy quality phone recordings): the differences HDR provides literally need to be seen to be understood. Direct recording would help with that, but most monitors still won't display it properly. Same with smartphones.

Yep like Kyle said, there is no way to properly show HDR unless you have a TV that supports it and even then it's still new-ish tech that will keep evolving, granted most people don't even calibrate their RGB settings properly so yeah.

Why buy a Pro when the vanilla PS4's capable of 4K with little more than an update, apparently?

Is it capable of 4K? All I heard was that now it has HDR. Or am I missing something?

Anyway, apparently, GT Sport in PS4 Pro would be useless, to me, since I don't have 4k HDR tv, so...
What would PS4 Pro offer for other games, such as Fallout 4, to make me buy one (I won't, but hypothetically speaking). Would it be capable of running the game at 60 FPS? Does the Pro version give anything meaningful to a 1080p TV user? The way I see it right now, if you don't own a 4k/HDR TV, it's not worth replacing the standard PS4 with the Pro.

Is it capable of 4K? All I heard was that now it has HDR. Or am I missing something?

Anyway, apparently, GT Sport in PS4 Pro would be useless, to me, since I don't have 4k HDR tv, so...
What would PS4 Pro offer for other games, such as Fallout 4, to make me buy one (I won't, but hypothetically speaking). Would it be capable of running the game at 60 FPS? Does the Pro version give anything meaningful to a 1080p TV user? The way I see it right now, if you don't own a 4k/HDR TV, it's not worth replacing the standard PS4 with the Pro.
If GT Sport in the 'Pro' had better shadows than PS4, you will have better shadows (with PS4 Pro) in any TV.

clearly you dont know how business talk work... you dont lie to your customers if you cant answer the question...

the way to go is not commenting on the question or tell something interesting that will make the interviewers pay their attention to.

btw I highly doubt they mean native 4K, probably just an upscaled 2K resolution just like all the other Pro titles.
It's you who don't know how business work..
Just on word...NDA

You can still enjoy the ps4pro with just a 1080p, enhanced graphics, better IQ and so on
Ps4pro is not only about 4k or hdr

You can still enjoy the ps4pro with just a 1080p, enhanced graphics, better IQ and so on

I don't think we should expect better graphics in 1080p. A cleaner picture, yes, thanks to improved AA and IQ but that's all.

I think the biggest difference will be on HDR. And to have a good HDR, we must buy a TV 4K :)

Last edited:
I don't think we should expect better graphics in 1080p. A cleaner picture, yes, thanks to improved AA and IQ but that's all.

I think the biggest difference will be on HDR. And to have a good HDR, we must buy a TV 4K. In France (and Europe I suppose), we have for exemple, Panasonic DX750 (~1300 €) or DX900 (~3,000€), Sony XD93 (~2000 €) or ZD9 (over 6,000€) :)

Pro games will have better AF, draw distance and improved IQ and AA as you said, how does that not equal to graphics?

Pro games will have better AF, draw distance and improved IQ and AA as you said, how does that not equal to graphics?

Maybe, we haven't same definition of graphics.

And all games will not have everything you mention.

For example, The Witness, we will have just 1080p and MSAAx4 (900p, MSAAx2 for PS4 vanilla)

Even news are not actual news with this game. I'm not sure that 4k HDR will make the Tokyo track more enjoyable. No pitstop article or on the official website, no fb post... I can understand delays but not this lack of communication. I trust them for graphics but for the core of the game? GT1 to 4 are playable even if graphics are not up-to-date because they are good games. I'm not sure it will be the same in ten years for GT6.

If GT Sport in the 'Pro' had better shadows than PS4, you will have better shadows (with PS4 Pro) in any TV.

But shadows can't be a selling point for a revamped console. In most games the shadows are already pretty good. That's why I mentioned the 60FPS in Fallout 4, since that's far more important and a bigger selling point than shadows.
At this point, I feel it's more as a "would you rather" situation. Better graphics or higher framerate? To me, personally, it would be much better to have Fallout 4 at 60 FPS instead of small improvements in graphics/shadows, etc. But that's just me.

I suppose, but will those differences be big enough to make someone exchange the standard for the Pro?

What PS4 is about will depend on what the developers focus on. In some games could be the equivalent of a remastered, 1080p version of the game, or an upscale to 4k, or a higher framerate.

For anyone at SEMA or in Las Vegas: GT Sport will be playable tonight at the Gran Turismo Awards, taking place at the Marquee Nightclub in The Cosmopolitan resort and hotel. I'm not sure of the build details yet, but it should be pretty fresh. I'll share as many details as I can.

The event is open to the public (regular restrictions to the Marquee club apply), but a SEMA badge should also grant you free entry. Send me a message if you're able to stop by!

Nah, we're busy elsewhere. This isn't a major event like the Copper Box was. 👍
Wonder if Kaz will be more talkative now with the Pro support being shown off to the media. Looks like a major PlayStation event though.
An update doesn't give extra hardware power. ;) I'm interested in 1080p gaming for the moment, PS4 Pro should bring gaming fidelity to similar level as my current PC, will be good also to be able to capture 1080p gameplay footage without need for an external capture device.
It'd certainly offer more for people to talk about, sure (though they shouldn't completely abandon regular PS4+1080P setups for comparison purposes). The problem is Polyphony barring direct-capture (though oddly being fine with shoddy quality phone recordings): the differences HDR provides literally need to be seen to be understood. Direct recording would help with that, but most monitors still won't display it properly. Same with smartphones.
I wonder if they've got some big improvement lined up whether for likes of graphics and/or sound hence why they're not allowing such type of capture. Got 4K HDR TV in living room, seen some HDR content on it and looks a sizeable step up from the little I've seen.

Didn't expect 4K upscaling to be a thing on the PS4 Pro... Of course PD would take advantage of the new graphics tech, it's all they seem to care about:lol:

Anyway, the promise of 4K and 60FPS is a REALLY big statement from Sony, and I honestly don't know how GT Sport could sustain such high caliber graphics and framerate without the whole system crashing. Hopefully these concerns have been addressed, but I doubt it very much.

Back