Gran Turismo Sport: General Discussion

• Thread starter Formidable
  • 47,123 comments

Am I supposed to read the whole thread?
Anyway, I didn't read anything saying that a standard PS4 is capable of 4k (running games at that resolution). I'm not talking in ideal conditions, with an over simplistic game. I'm talking about running 4k in a full game.

PD are absolutely not the only company to boast about tiny details but I honestly can't fathom who they think is impressed by talk of hyper-accurate paint colours? Has anyone played old GT games and been put off by the 'incorrect' car colours? I somehow doubt it. Of all the things to talk about and focus on, it strikes me as odd.

I assume it's just marketing to the console itself. They even mentioned a hugely known color, the one and only Ferrari red. Associate a big name with a product, and it's automatically good marketing.

Am I supposed to read the whole thread?
Anyway, I didn't read anything saying that a standard PS4 is capable of 4k (running games at that resolution). I'm not talking in ideal conditions, with an over simplistic game. I'm talking about running 4k in a full game.

Start from post #30. Basically 99% of people know the original PS4 wasn't powerful enough for 4k but one person was adamant it was with a simple update. That was what you were missing when they jokingly asked Saidur that.

I assume it's just marketing to the console itself. They even mentioned a hugely known color, the one and only Ferrari red. Associate a big name with a product, and it's automatically good marketing.

Perhaps, I still don't know who is going to be that impressed though because as I say, it's not like a lot of people were saying it never looked right to start with. I mean it's a nice touch, sure, but it's not something to shout about ahead of what should be more important talking points.

PD are absolutely not the only company to boast about tiny details but I honestly can't fathom who they think is impressed by talk of hyper-accurate paint colours? Has anyone played old GT games and been put off by the 'incorrect' car colours? I somehow doubt it. Of all the things to talk about and focus on, it strikes me as odd.

Same thing as them boasting with realistic star positions in GT6, and the worst thing about those "cool" details is that no one really cares about them nor are they important at all... They just use it to say: "Oh look at us we have such an attention for details" never mind that the game lacks or could be improved in other more important aspects...

Are these HUD sections new?
3w0iXr.jpg

Perhaps, I still don't know who is going to be that impressed though because as I say, it's not like a lot of people were saying it never looked right to start with. I mean it's a nice touch, sure, but it's not something to shout about ahead of what should be more important talking points.

The thing is, there is not really much to be impressed, really. The introduction to 4k is probably the biggest improvement, and of course the HDR (that the normal PS4 got in an update). A better colour presentation is probably the next improvement they could get out of the Pro. Apart from this, anything else like shadows and framerate, wouldn't really be good marketing for the game itself. They wouldn't want the community to take something like "the shadows look better", as "the shadows in GTS on the standard PS4 are not good, we need a Pro so they are presented properly".

But this is my take on it. I wasn't really expecting to be impressed by the game on the Pro. Looks better, sure, but the game looked good already on the standard console.

Wait, what's the point of having this "VR Tour"?

Maybe because the console wouldn't be able to handle 16 to 20 cars on track with VR. It makes sense, they don't need to make two versions of the same game. One regular, and one stripped down for VR.

So no new modes, features, cars and tracks have been showed but they proudly announce they are able to show the Ferrari red properly. Seriously... :dunce:

Well, it was mainly a PS4 Pro event. And they did show new stuff. VR for the first time, and the McLaren 650S... Waiting to know if there was anything new as far as cars go.

Maybe because the console wouldn't be able to handle 16 to 20 cars on track with VR. It makes sense, they don't need to make two versions of the same game. One regular, and one stripped down for VR.
So it almost seems like a gimmick if there's no other implementation other than a virtual tour of things within the game, rather than outright implementation into actual gameplay. What this tour consist of, we don't know yet, but it doesn't sound like a promising inclusion.

So it almost seems like a gimmick if there's no other implementation other than a virtual tour of things within the game, rather than outright implementation into actual gameplay. What this tour consist of, we don't know yet, but it doesn't sound like a promising inclusion.

All good points, but that VR video looked amazing to me!

I thought Kaz was bragging about how there will be full VR implementation for the whole game?

No because they'll all be taking photos in HDR. I can't though. The shutter release button on my G29 is missing. Oh well I'll have to stick with racing then. Do I need a photo game for that?

The more I look at this game, the more interested I become. On release, this game will finally launch sim racing to the esports audience in a grand way.

I've seen a few articles mention them making their own "new camera".

The studio is future-proofing all its games by creating a new camera that has a brightness range 100 times higher than the current camera standard.

All Gran Turismo games will support current HDR TVs, but also all future HDR devices that can reach brightnesses up to 10,000 nits (the HDR10 ST.2084 standard).
But I can't fathom what they mean. Are they talking about an SLR to photograph cars and get the correct colours? Have PD created a camera? Or are they talking about in-game cameras, in which case it makes even less sense? I'm lost.

I've seen a few articles mention them making their own "new camera".

But I can't fathom what they mean. Are they talking about an SLR to photograph cars and get the correct colours? Have PD created a camera? Or are they talking about in-game cameras, in which case it makes even less sense? I'm lost.

It's the camera of the rendering engine. It picks up a wider brightness range, which makes sense when you want to display the image on an HDR screen.

So on 1080p screen it will look just a lot cleaner or the effects from replays are on during gameplay ? Since replays are suppose to run at 60 on PRO this could be the case.

So every one you race against who is using the gt sport on the ps4 pro is going to win because there game runs better
"Will PS4 Pro owners have a performance advantage in online games when competing against standard PS4 players?
Generally, no. Playtesting and balancing is up to each game developer, and while it’s true that PS4 Pro’s more powerful hardware can drive smoother or more stable frame rates in supported titles, developers have many tools and processes they can use to prevent imbalances."
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/09/08/ps4-pro-the-ultimate-faq/

Last edited:

To be honest, it would still be a gimmick anyway. I don't see anyone playing for more than one hour straight with VR. People would have to stand straight, and with a big device in their head. It's kind of like the 3D TVs. You watch one movie in 3D, and then get tired of it and go back to normal.
We will see what this VR Tour has to offer. Maybe some events, maybe the full campaing but with less cars on track, who knows?

I thought Kaz was bragging about how there will be full VR implementation for the whole game?

Don't know. Unless there was an interview where he stated that.

It's the camera of the rendering engine. It picks up a wider brightness range, which makes sense when you want to display the image on an HDR screen.

Still none the wiser to be honest. Why is it called a camera, if it's just (essentially) code in-game? What exactly have they created?

It is another "intention" that has failed to materialize.

https://www.videogamer.com/news/yam...-sport-to-be-fully-playable-in-playstation-vr

Polyphony Digital boss Kazunori Yamauchi intends to make Gran Turismo Sport fully playable in PlayStation VR, with support for the technology planned for day one of the game's release.

Speaking to VideoGamer.com yesterday, Yamauchi revealed that the team is "trying to support [PlayStation VR] from launch. It's a good timing for it."

"My plan is that Gran Turismo Sport will be compatible to allow all aspects of [the game] to be experienced in VR," he continued. "We've been compatible with 3D before, in GT6 we've been compatible with Oculus, so it's just a continuation of that."

PlayStation VR is set to launch this October, with Gran Turismo Sport arriving in the following month. And if Polyphony manages to get it right, the game could be one of the first major system-sellers for PlayStation VR.

To be honest, it would still be a gimmick anyway. I don't see anyone playing for more than one hour straight with VR. People would have to stand straight, and with a big device in their head. It's kind of like the 3D TVs. You watch one movie in 3D, and then get tired of it and go back to normal.
We will see what this VR Tour has to offer. Maybe some events, maybe the full campaing but with less cars on track, who knows?

Don't know. Unless there was an interview where he stated that.
A big device in their head and a source of light in a few centimeters of the eyes...This is not a whealthy thing.

Well I'm pissed of because of VR. Just bought the device and it is awesome in every way (at that price for me). I just hope that that mode is not restricted for Time Trials only. Driveclub did not induce any motion sickness to me. It would be a shame if they made a cut for it to run at 120fps or something. I know that Motion tracking and lens distortion takes up some resources but they could just lower the effects as an option. The only thing I can think of now that there are some features like weather and they make the game run sub 60 fps.

Back