Gran Turismo Sport: General Discussion

• Thread starter Formidable
  • 47,123 comments
I posted the chart (a print screen from one of the videos PD had taken down), to answer a specific question of someone doubting about the cars being re-balanced.
Of course it would raise more questions.

I don't know how the PP system will work this time, and I don't know how it worked before. Maybe small things such as top speed, and electric power of some hybrid cars isn't calculated. The Toyota has a temporary boost of power, so maybe that explains it's low PP if they do not count the hybrid system. After all, it works just like NOS, a temporary boost of power giving extra acceleration, once it cuts out, these cars only have the power of the combustion.

But hey, what do I know? They are the only ones who in fact know what counts and what doesn't count for the PP system, we just speculate...

Yeah, I should've made it more clear: wasn't expecting answers from you with the chart, mostly pondering out loud.

I'd love for PD to offer a more detailed breakdown of how the PP system works, as it'd definitely help explain some of the more unusual aspects of it. The other game that has a similar system in place – FM6 – has had a little explanation from its creators, and while it offers a broad-strokes sort of balancing system, there's always the stand-outs in each tier. Much as I suspect will be the case with GTS, unless PD has gone the BoP path, and it's just not reflected very well in the PP ratings. Even then, I'd be reasonably sure cars like the Bugatti would be far better-suited to out-and-out speed tracks like, say, La Sarthe.

As with most blanket statements, this is untrue. While PP was not a perfect calculator of performance it was nowhere near useless. The problem with it was the outliers, cars that dramatically outperformed others at the same PP levels. Because they were so much faster than other cars they got all the focus and made the system look much worse than it really was. If the outliers were taken care of, many of the rest of the cars were actually fairly close in performance.
That's true. You see, one car that I remember in GT6 was the Focus RS from 2001 - in pretty much all 550PP lobbies this thing dominated and there was no way of beating one unless you drove one yourself. There were plenty of other vehicles which were unusually fast for their PP, like the Dino and the RX-500. I had a fully tuned Alfa Romeo 155 V6 Ti and it was able to compete with 600PP vehicles, although it had 574PP. These little issues have to be ironed out for GT Sport if it is to provide close racing.

Honestly, I didn't think the P.P. system in GT was a bad idea, it just didn't have the right execution. Turn 10 did a similar system in Forza, but included factors aside from power & weight such as grip and aero. If Polyphony includes those factors in, I imagine that the P.P. point system would turn out fine.

I think the Power Point system is much better than how Gran Turismo was. In the past, it was the fastest car wins. Now there is a threshold to how much power you can have. I do feel it can be improved though.

On the other hand, in career mode, the AI is so nonchalant, even having PP doesn't help.

They already have the classes down, so why was PP necessary...?
Good question, especially since there doesn't seem to be any car customization that would allow you to move the PP up and down anyway. If the cars are all BoP'd then even open lobbies will only have class based racing because anything else will be pointless. I wonder if it's fully sunk in how limiting open lobby racing is going to be with such a small car list and a limited number of classes to race in.

Yeah, I should've made it more clear: wasn't expecting answers from you with the chart, mostly pondering out loud.

I'd love for PD to offer a more detailed breakdown of how the PP system works, as it'd definitely help explain some of the more unusual aspects of it. The other game that has a similar system in place – FM6 – has had a little explanation from its creators, and while it offers a broad-strokes sort of balancing system, there's always the stand-outs in each tier. Much as I suspect will be the case with GTS, unless PD has gone the BoP path, and it's just not reflected very well in the PP ratings. Even then, I'd be reasonably sure cars like the Bugatti would be far better-suited to out-and-out speed tracks like, say, La Sarthe.

I know, I was just clearing things up, in case someone took my post as an "answer to everything" kind of post. 👍

Maybe next time there is a chance to interview Kaz, that question is asked and hopefully answered.
And also, there are cars that are faster in fast tracks (like Monza or Sarthe), and others have their strength in shorter/more technical tracks. Don't know how the PP system works in these cases.

This PP thing... I don't see it in PCars. By trying different cars, I can see some strengths from car to car.
GT4 Mustang has grunt out of slow corners and on long straights.
GT4 M3 has good brakes and handling.
GT4 Aston is well balanced in all aspects.
GT4 Ginetta like the M3 but, with more downforce
The GT3 cars vary across the range as well.

It's not needed. In GT6, I used the GT3 GT-R the most. To me, only the Z4 felt like it was running out of breath. I do wish PD negate that system(ain't gonna happen).

http://www.gran-turismo.com/jp/news/00_8464463.html

i1HfG6ZxQxrwO.jpg

I thought PP stood for power point, like engine power points? :confused:

Although, performance and power are pretty similar.

Last edited:
I thought PP stood for power point, like engine power points? :confused:

Although, performance and power are almost synonymous.

Nope, Performance Points it is.

It's a strange one, though, since there seem to be only a few parameters that affect it when tuning in GT6 (engine performance, weight and its distribution, and downforce). I've always found it bizarre that a car with a fully adjustable suspension is rated the same as its stock counterpart.

I have to say, even with the PP system in Gran Turismo. In career mode, it still doesn't help, especially when the AI drives like zombies, and you cut across grassy area's, which I admittedly do lol.

I have to say, even with the PP system in Gran Turismo. In career mode, it still doesn't help, especially when the AI drives like zombies, and you cut across grassy area's, which I admittedly do lol.
The PP system in career mode is there so it wouldn't be a curb stomp fest.

PP of a car should be different for each track. No other way.

La Sarthe and Tsukuba favors totally different cars for example. Small and nimble car can battle it out with a heavier and more powerful car on Tsukuba but it would lose a tone of time on La Sarthe.

The more I read about this, the more I am excited to try this mode out. I could literally spend hours here.
Going off @Samus post over in another thread

proxy.php

Racing Etiquette does what it says on the tin, teaches you the do's and don't of real racing. Again, just simple scenarios are presented here, no race events.

If this is how it stays, I'm not sure how many hours you'd be getting out of it, really. A mix of 10 events, which videos look to be part of that count. Hopefully they expand upon the single-player aspect.

Going off @Samus post over in another thread

If this is how it stays, I'm not sure how many hours you'd be getting out of it, really. A mix of 10 events, which videos look to be part of that count. Hopefully they expand upon the single-player aspect.

I may be off in assuming this, but I can imagine that since the FIA license requires at least a silver, the Gold trophy may be difficult for most (well, at least me).

If these events have friends leaderboards, yeah, I can see myself easily spending extraordinary amounts of time of them!:)

I may be off in assuming this, but I can imagine that since the FIA license requires at least a silver, the Gold trophy may be difficult for most (well, at least me).

If these events have friends leaderboards, yeah, I can see myself easily spending extraordinary amounts of time of them!:)
Glossing over the other categories in this thread, I'm not so sure there is a ranking system in this category. I mean, you can't really get a gold on watching a video, can you? As for the other selections within that category, they seem more like a "Pass or Fail" type of thing. From what we can see from the first two selections, one being "Experience the start of a race" and reading the description, all you're doing is waiting for the start and making sure not to jump the gun. The next selection is keeping and maintaining speed for a rolling start.

That's why I'm hoping for a bit of last minute surprises concerning the single-player aspect.

Back