Gran Turismo Sport: General Discussion

• Thread starter Formidable
  • 47,123 comments
The GTS home screen shot was seen ages ago also here. You remember there was the money symbol but also the 'pile of tokens' (468 pieces) symbol. Any idea of them? Just occurred, maybe they are tyres?
What if we had to buy in-game tyres in stock because worn out tyres couldn't be used again? 💡

The GTS home screen shot was seen ages ago also here. You remember there was the money symbol but also the 'pile of tokens' (468 pieces) symbol. Any idea of them? Just occurred, maybe they are tyres?
What if we had to buy in-game tyres in stock because worn out tyres couldn't be used again? 💡

Could be an alternative currency alongside the credits system and potentially a place where microtransactions could be pushed.

Still able to do some hot laps...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 115
I can also still login into the menus and garage and stuff, just that there are no more events in Sport mode.

Which is weird. I expected the login server to be shut off by now. o_o

What if credits are used to buy cars and tokens are used to buy customization pieces such as livery decals, parts, etc.? I don't know, just a random idea.

What if credits are used to buy cars and tokens are used to buy customization pieces such as livery decals, parts, etc.? I don't know, just a random idea.

No idea about tokens, but I'm hoping credits are also used to make repairs to your car, at minimum for Sport Mode. It does depend on how easy credits are to earn, but I think it'll make the credit system a bit more balanced, and give the player a much stronger relationship with the cars they own, as well as encourage cleaner driving as it will yield lower repair costs.

Anyone else think they are Surely going to add tuskuba, seems such a big Japanese track to miss.

I'd rather have Suzuka or Fuji. They're way more fun and tricky to race on (even if you like drifting).

ps: Tsukuba? Big? :P

Us Europeans were never able to do hotlaps throughout the whole beta, it was GTSport races or nothing (even then we didn't get Tokyo until the final day). Your beta was better from what I hear.

Us Europeans were never able to do hotlaps throughout the whole beta, it was GTSport races or nothing (even then we didn't get Tokyo until the final day). Your beta was better from what I hear.

It was the same across the board for all regions - you could in fact "hotlap", but only with the available daily race track/class combo and were forced to use the set tire type and BoP settings. The only extra thing made available to the U.S. as far as I remember was a section of Arcade Mode, but that was only limited to a time trial or 3 lap race with max grid at Brands Hatch with a selection of something like 6-8 ToD settings. That was the only time you could select tires and BoP in the Beta period, but even then it was removed only a few weeks in - there was a never a time where you could actually pick any track and just drive with whatever settings you wanted.

Last edited:
It was the same across the board for all regions - you could in fact "hotlap", but only with the available daily race track/class combo and were forced to use the set tire type and BoP settings. The only extra thing made available to the U.S. as far as I remember was a section of Arcade Mode, but that was only limited to a time trial or 3 lap race with max grid at Brands Hatch with a selection of something like 6-8 ToD settings. That was the only time you could select tires and BoP in the Beta period, but it was removed a few weeks in - there was a never a time where you could actually pick a track and just drive with whatever settings you wanted.
Which sucks because I'm pretty sure certain car and track combos were never seen. Then again, the whole reason for the Beta was to test the online servers.

The more I think about the new career mode, the more I get excited for it. Having real life tutorials etc is something that really intrigues me. The events number is big so hopefully I don't get bored but I'm looking forward to it.

I must say that I am intrigued by the picture I did see and it seems they have added several extra missions. I do wonder though if Playstation Plus will be really needed to race online in GT Sport? I could imagine for official FIA/Playstation championship one is required to have Playstation Plus but for the regular and casual races maybe it is not needed?

I am worried about the locationlist though. I find it really shallow. The ovals and the dirt tracks don't really interest me so there is only a handful of tracks. With 3 locations left to be revealed I hope there are some very good ones. I could see Seattle getting back in. The one track that I really want to see is the circuit based around Lake Maggiore because that truly seems a stunning one 👍

I can't complain about the cars and definitely liking the RCZ GR4 and GR3. It's attractive and still for me the only game that offers a range of models from this brand.

Which sucks because I'm pretty sure certain car and track combos were never seen. Then again, the whole reason for the Beta was to test the online servers.

The only car/track combos that didn't occur were the ovals with non-Gr.3 cars, everything else definitely got used - though as a technicality you could say not every combo was used for the fuel economy events.

Probably the least common combo was the Gr. 3 Tokyo races since that track got cut pretty early on (I assume because lots of people were complaining about it), it came back in the final few days but only N300 and I think Gr. 4 events were made available. The Gr. 3s definitely happened though, as I remember the mess they were.

It's a little sad it seems some of the folks that wait until they're lapped to try and take other cars out have migrated from Forza to GT.

I think this is one of the other problems with leaving people that are out of fuel on the track. At that point, the only real interaction left to them is trolling other players. I think there will be far too many people who will run out of fuel and think "well, might as well try and nail a few cars as they come past me".

So what does everyone think of 150 cars at launch, 1/2 of which are either VGTs or pretuned PD race and rally cars? I'm rather disappointed to be honest. Seriously though, what happened to PD and the GT series? It used to be groundbreaking and the kind of game you just couldn't wait to play.
Seems like now people are satisfied and excited with whatever they're given because it carries the GT logo...

So what does everyone think of 150 cars at launch, 1/2 of which are either VGTs or pretuned PD race and rally cars? I'm rather disappointed to be honest. Seriously though, what happened to PD and the GT series? It used to be groundbreaking and the kind of game you just couldn't wait to play.
Seems like now people are satisfied and excited with whatever they're given because it carries the GT logo...
The truth hurts :lol:
Said that way, I agree.

Better have 150 than 140, it probably lets room for unique cars on the additionnal counts

• The Forza games have 500+ cars.
  • I only ever use 50 at most (5 cars per Class).
Provided Gran Turismo Sport's cars are all fun to drive and fun to race, I am perfectly happy with the current car count. It gives me more time to develop a personal bond with a car than to quickly hop from one to the next in order to experience them all.

Provided Gran Turismo Sport's cars are all fun to drive and fun to race, I am perfectly happy with the current car count. It gives me more time to develop a personal bond with a car than to quickly hop from one to the next in order to experience them all.

I'm not saying GTS needs 500 + cars but having only about 75 real world cars for such a well known studio is poor. I mean Project Cars 2 has 189 but they have so many desirable and unique cars not seen in other games. The vast majority are real life cars too. I think PD gets away with ALOT because of who they are. If SMS were to come up with a similar car list to GTS they would be slaughtered.

Better have 150 than 140, it probably lets room for unique cars on the additionnal counts

Yeah that's not really groundbreaking though is it? I mean ok it was 140 then it became 177 + whatever that meant and now 150. Ten extra cars isn't exactly OMFG territory.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have broken my wheel just before appearing fuel consumptiom races but when i check some GTS video like the Z28 ones, it seems that early shifting save fuel. Is it correct ?? From what i remember of mechanic , at the time of carburators or injection systems a few decades ago, only gas pedal and the good use of torque can result in a lower waste of fuel . Or did the new electronics components influence this result ??

Thanks @Z28_ for this video

Last edited:
You chose 50/500 in Forza and most of those were unique cars. In GT you have < 1/3 the cars to choose from and many of those are identical models with different trim. A tiny number of historics, no open wheelers, very few cars that are older than 2009. It's a significantly smaller pool to choose from with significantly less variety.

The car list is disappointing. Worst car list of any full GT so far and worst of any racing game of this generation IMO.

I have broken my wheel just before appearing fuel consumptiom races but when i check some GTS video like the Z28 ones, it seems that early shifting save fuel. Is it correct ?? From what i remember of mechanic , at the time of carburators or injection systems a few decades ago, only gas pedal and the good use of torque can result in a lower waste of fuel . Or did the new electronics components influence this result ??

Yeah early shifiting does save a lot of fuel in GT Sport. At Brands Hatch GP for example, without doing it and just shifting near the rev limiter you'd run out of fuel in lap 9 with the GT-R GT3. By Doing short shifts however you'd have about 1/8th left near the end which you can use to have some more power to gain time or overtake.

You can see it in my video as well, I started doing it from lap 3 onwards when I noticed I was using too much fuel already. Was on fuel map 6 the whole race, which Marcolah probably used as well. He ran out of fuel in the last lap while I easily made it and could even do a faster last lap.

As for how and why, the easy comparison I make is driving on the streets in your road car. You shift at low RPM as well to save fuel. If you keep shifting at high RPM's you'll be visiting the gas station more often as well. ;) Makes sense to me anyway that more fuel is burned in the higher RPM's since that's where most of the power is at.

Yeah that's not really groundbreaking though is it? I mean ok it was 140 then it became 177 + whatever that meant and now 150. Ten extra cars isn't exactly OMFG territory.
Still better than letting the original count at the launch, and waiting this "10 cars" as DLC
And it says over 150 so we dont know if it s around 150 or 160
I dont think PD try to mindblowing the the car numbers this time, so if you expect them to do it, you can wait
It s an WIP, it s a good initiative from them to adjust it

Yeah early shifiting does save a lot of fuel in GT Sport. At Brands Hatch GP for example, without doing it and just shifting near the rev limiter you'd run out of fuel in lap 9 with the GT-R GT3. By Doing short shifts however you'd have about 1/8th left near the end which you can use to have some more power to gain time or overtake.

You can see it in my video as well, I started doing it from lap 3 onwards when I noticed I was using too much fuel already. Was on fuel map 6 the whole race, which Marcolah probably used as well. He ran out of fuel in the last lap while I easily made it and could even do a faster last lap.

As for how and why, the easy comparison I make is driving on the streets in your road car. You shift at low RPM as well to save fuel. If you keep shifting at high RPM's you'll be visiting the gas station more often as well. ;) Makes sense to me anyway that more fuel is burned in the higher RPM's since that's where most of the power is at.

In my opinion low rpm with full throttle will not save gas. Only if electronic itself regulate the gas liberated by the accel pedal. That s why i am asking this, i am a bit out of step with this new mechanical options.:)
Less throttle in the max torque range only can save fuel significantly .

In my opinion low rpm with full throttle will not save gas. Only if electronic itself regulate the gas liberated by the accel pedal. That s why i am asking this, i am a bit out of step with this new mechanical options.:)
Less throttle in the max torque range only can save fuel significantly .

Fuel is consumed the fastest at high RPM. High RPM means more fuel injections per second than low RPM. 100% throttle means the most amount of fuel each injection. The most popular method it seems for saving fuel (at least in F1) is the lift-and-coast method, where you lift off throttle to start slowing down just a little bit before each corner. Once you lift, most modern engines will stop injecting fuel (you are no longer asking the engine to accelerate the car). At top speed the car produces the most drag, which produces a bigger load on the engine than say the same RPM in 1st gear, which means the ECU compensates by trying to inject more fuel. So fuel is consumed the fastest when at your top speed and highest RPM, by lifting ~30-50 meters earlier than your normal braking point you are saving fuel at what would normally be its highest usage.

You can also save fuel by short shifting, but when you do this you do need to be careful that you are keeping the engine in an RPM range that produces near its maximum torque, otherwise you are injecting fuel into the engine that is not giving you the maximum amount of acceleration in return.

Engine power or horsepower is just a calculation of the engine torque at a given RPM: HP = Torque x RPM ÷ 5252
http://www.epi-eng.com/piston_engine_technology/power_and_torque.htm

Most turbo cars produce max torque between ~1500-5000 rpm, naturally aspirated engines tend to start max torque ~3500rpm but go up to 6500-7500rpm, so you really need to know the torque curve of the particular car you are driving in order to know where you should be keeping the rpm's to balance the most acceleration for the fuel being used, and the most effective places for fuel savings.

Last edited:
Back