Gran Turismo Sport VR discussion thread

• Thread starter cocoflowa
  • 242 comments

Are you interested in GT Sport VR experience?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Czech Republic
Czech Republic
cocoflowa
Me personally not. I don't care about VR. It's a nonsense like move or kinect was to me. What's your opinion on that?

Last edited:
No, I haven't.
How can you claim it's a nonsense then?

VR is the single most immersive experience I have ever had. Using a VR headset for the past couple of months in Asseto Corsa, PCars, iRacing and it is fantastic. It's the future of sim racing, maybe not this gen but certainly 2nd or 3rd gen. I would advise you not to discount it before you try it.

I have no interest in VR. But I might be interested in any benefits that come from it. Many feel that VR is hampering GTS development. In my ignorance of such things I believe that VR might help PD as they over reached on PS3, hence fluctuations in frame rate, poor AI ect. Love GT and Sport looks fantastic already.

How can you claim it's a nonsense then?

VR is the single most immersive experience I have ever had. Using a VR headset for the past couple of months in Asseto Corsa, PCars, iRacing and it is fantastic. It's the future of sim racing, maybe not this gen but certainly 2nd or 3rd gen. I would advise you not to discount it before you try it.

And have you played with VR 10 or more hours yet? Or just tried it for a few minutes?

...I am genuinely interested in VR for sure. Imagining No Man's Sky or Fallout 4/Elder Scrolls in VR just makes me giddy like a little kid again. Of course, GT fits the bill pretty nicely as well too.

Only thing remaining to consider is the cost factor - for PC it takes a substantial rig to have a smooth VR experience, and for Playstation ecosystem I'm waiting on the fence to see whether or not Sony would ditch the hardware just because of a poor initial sales.

So I'll have my answer sometime next year, or maybe after that. We'll see.

I mean playing VR gotta have some influence on human in a long term view.
Just wear one of these while you play ;)

1-tin-foil-hat.jpg

what influence do you think it will have?

Brilliant, absolutely brilliant. You start a thread asking for opinions with your own opinion seemingly set in stone based on nothing and then take the hump when people express their opinion and challenge your own!

I don't have any problem with your opinion. I don't want to argue. I said my opinion already and now is space for the others.

what influence do you think it will have?

Potentially:
  • Immediately discontinue using the headset if any of the following symptoms are experienced: seizures; loss of awareness; eye strain; eye or muscle twitching; involuntary movements; altered, blurred, or double vision or other visual abnormalities; dizziness; disorientation; impaired balance; impaired hand-eye coordination; excessive sweating; increased salivation; nausea; lightheadedness; discomfort or pain in the head or eyes; drowsiness; fatigue; or any symptoms similar to motion sickness.

• Just as with the symptoms people can experience after they disembark a cruise ship, symptoms of virtual reality exposure can persist and become more apparent hours after use. These post-use symptoms can include the symptoms above, as well as excessive drowsiness and decreased ability to multi-task. These symptoms may put you at an increased risk of injury when engaging in normal activities in the real world.

• Do not drive, operate machinery, or engage in other visually or physically demanding activities that have potentially serious consequences (i.e., activities in which experiencing any symptoms could lead to death, personal injury, or damage to property), or other activities that require unimpaired balance and hand-eye coordination (such as playing sports or riding a bicycle, etc.) until you have fully recovered from any symptoms.

• Do not use the headset until all symptoms have completely subsided for several hours. Make sure you have properly configured the headset before resuming use.

• Be mindful of the type of content that you were using prior to the onset of any symptoms because you may be more prone to symptoms based upon the content being used.

• See a doctor if you have serious and/or persistent symptoms.

Source: https://www.oculus.com/en-us/legal/health-and-safety-warnings/
So the things you can experience from looking at any display technology?

Regular displays aren't operated by head movement, and do not immediately involve our vestibular system. Sure VR set makers had to overcome what could be initially interpreted as a natural/ physiological reject of such device.

Potentially:
  • Immediately discontinue using the headset if any of the following symptoms are experienced: seizures; loss of awareness; eye strain; eye or muscle twitching; involuntary movements; altered, blurred, or double vision or other visual abnormalities; dizziness; disorientation; impaired balance; impaired hand-eye coordination; excessive sweating; increased salivation; nausea; lightheadedness; discomfort or pain in the head or eyes; drowsiness; fatigue; or any symptoms similar to motion sickness.

• Just as with the symptoms people can experience after they disembark a cruise ship, symptoms of virtual reality exposure can persist and become more apparent hours after use. These post-use symptoms can include the symptoms above, as well as excessive drowsiness and decreased ability to multi-task. These symptoms may put you at an increased risk of injury when engaging in normal activities in the real world.

• Do not drive, operate machinery, or engage in other visually or physically demanding activities that have potentially serious consequences (i.e., activities in which experiencing any symptoms could lead to death, personal injury, or damage to property), or other activities that require unimpaired balance and hand-eye coordination (such as playing sports or riding a bicycle, etc.) until you have fully recovered from any symptoms.

• Do not use the headset until all symptoms have completely subsided for several hours. Make sure you have properly configured the headset before resuming use.

• Be mindful of the type of content that you were using prior to the onset of any symptoms because you may be more prone to symptoms based upon the content being used.

• See a doctor if you have serious and/or persistent symptoms.

Source: https://www.oculus.com/en-us/legal/health-and-safety-warnings/

Regular displays aren't operated by head movement, and do not immediately involve our vestibular system. Sure VR set makers had to overcome what could be initially interpreted as a natural/ physiological reject of such device.
Health Warnings
WARNING: PHOTOSENSITIVITY/EPILEPSY SEIZURES
A very small percentage of individuals may experience epileptic seizures or blackouts when exposed to certain light patterns or flashing lights. Exposure to certain patterns or backgrounds on a television screen or when playing video games may trigger epileptic seizures or blackouts in these individuals. These conditions may trigger previously undetected epileptic symptoms or seizures in persons who have no history of prior seizures or epilepsy. If you, or anyone in your family has an epileptic condition or has had seizures of any kind, consult your physician before playing. IMMEDIATELY DISCONTINUE use and consult your physician before resuming gameplay. If you or your child experience any of the following health problems or symptoms:

• Dizziness
  • Altered vision
  • Eye or muscle twitches
  • Loss of awareness
  • Disorientation
  • Seizures or
  • Any involuntary movement or convulsion
RESUME GAME PLAY ONLY ON APPROVAL OF YOUR PHYSICIAN.

Use and handling of video games to reduce the likelihood of a seizure:

• Use in a well-lit area and keep as far away as possible from the television screen.
  • Avoid large screen televisions. Use the smallest television screen available.
  • Avoid prolonged use of the PlayStation® system.
  • Take a 15-minute break during each hour of play.
  • Avoid playing when you are tired or need sleep.
Stop using the system immediately if you experience any of the following symptoms: lightheadedness, nausea, or a sensation similar to motion sickness, discomfort or pain in the eyes, ears, hands arms, or any other part of the body. If the condition persists, consult a doctor.

https://legaldoc.dl.playstation.net/ps3-eula/psn/u/u_health_en.html

So just the usual health and safety ass covering all companies include for any piece of tech these day then? What's your point?

The OP was suggesting some brain altering effect ;)

Feel free to classify the warnings as the "usual precautionary" legal stuff. The vestibular system feeds the central nervous system by the way.

Feel free to classify the warnings as the "usual precautionary" legal stuff. The vestibular system feeds the central nervous system by the way.
I'm fully aware what it is. And they haven't banned human transportation by boat yet so I'm not too concerned about VR. Don't worry though as you can see up thread I've got my tin foil hat ;)

Interested in GT Sport VR?
Absolutely. :)

Not too worried about health concerns personally.
You get the standard health warnings on start-up.
You also get 3D warnings if your TV is 3D compatible.
http://doc.dl.playstation.net/doc/3D-support/en.html
Least of my concerns TBH.

But looking forward to seeing what this is all about and how it alters my experience.
I assume I'll be considerably slower for a while until I adjust to the new FOV though.

No interest whatsoever because I know I wouldn't be able to use it owing to motion sickness, which I get badly from normal first person games.

Back