Gran Turismo Sport VR discussion thread

• Thread starter cocoflowa
  • 242 comments

Are you interested in GT Sport VR experience?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
I kinda hope they add the feature GT5 had. Just make it better. With a PS Eye camera, you could move your head right/left, and the camera angle in cockpit view did the same. Kinda a baws feature if you look at it.. It just should've been better.
Yes. I hope that too. I think the head tracking worked only in single player mode in GT5, if I remember correctly.
It's interesting to see how limited the usage of the PSVR will be in GTS on PS4.

It won't be "made for 2016 basic PC specs", it'll be made to run on PS4. Or else it won't run at all, will it?

So the issue is going to be what it will look like, and what role "Neo" will play.

The "head tracking" using only face recognition is very different so, whilst I hope it's in, it's extra developmental effort so it shouldn't be expected.

It's quite interesting actually, because you've effectively got all these additional tasks / modules according to what hardware the player has: camera for optical tracking, 3D display, VR display, different controllers etc. That means the game will have to be tuned to work with all of that optimally and in some cases in combination, assuming any / all of it is to be included.
The PSVR will need specs similar to a RX480 with a quad core 2.5gHZ minimum if it even wants to get close to hitting 90fps at 900p.

The PSVR will need specs similar to a RX480 with a quad core 2.5gHZ minimum if it even wants to get close to hitting 90fps at 900p.
I don't claim to know anything about the current hardware, in terms of shader / compute units or ROPs or clocks etc., but the simple fact is that the detail can and likely will be turned down.

Also, don't forget that console development is considerably closer to the metal than it is on PC. The recent strutting of Vulkan's prowess* is a sure sign that PC in the main is not a great indicator of what the consoles can already do. I've been saying for years that parallel is the future, now it's here.

*Note the video shows an improvement of "only" 15 fps, but look closely and you'll see it was around a 2 millisecond frame speed up at 1440p. That is massive in the context of per-frame budgeting, which is a fixed target on consoles. My own personal experience is a doubling of framerate at 1080p on a lowly R9 380, but I'm significantly CPU limited (Core 2 Quad!).

I'm personally curious as to if VR w/ wheel and pedals will be the new meta for the FIA leagues. Being able to see around the car and glance at your mirrors and such, would probably help a great extent. (Closer to real driving rather than just look straight forwards for the most part) Do you think it will make that large a difference? I suppose it also depends on how many people use cockpit view...

I'm personally curious as to if VR w/ wheel and pedals will be the new meta for the FIA leagues. Being able to see around the car and glance at your mirrors and such, would probably help a great extent. (Closer to real driving rather than just look straight forwards for the most part) Do you think it will make that large a difference? I suppose it also depends on how many people use cockpit view...

I'd like to see, and maybe even limit by, who is using wheel + VR. I think there *should* be greater awareness of side by side / overlapping in the braking zone if you have a grid of VR racers.

GTSport + VR should add the much needed immersion that we all crave. As long as they execute it well enough, it will be the one of best racing experiences to hit the two little screens in front of our eyes !!

I like your thoughts of filtering VR & Wheel users as this will allow for better racing, visibility while in cockpit for instance. On a single front mounted screen it is very difficult to accurately gauge where everyone is on the track, this way you can physically look.

I also think we will be able to drive better, closer to real life driving.

GTSport + VR should add the much needed immersion that we all crave. As long as they execute it well enough, it will be the one of best racing experiences to hit the two little screens in front of our eyes !!

I like your thoughts of filtering VR & Wheel users as this will allow for better racing, visibility while in cockpit for instance. On a single front mounted screen it is very difficult to accurately gauge where everyone is on the track, this way you can physically look.

If VR was cheaper I'd probably get it, but it would work perfectly with GT Sport. For that reason I may get VR, but performance will definitely be an issue, as it's been discussed quite a lot here.

There has been some comment from the driveclub VR demo, that people instinctively braked due to actual "fear" of hitting the "solid object" their brain perceived was in front of them - hopefully this too, combined with fear of damaging sportsmanship rating, will make for better racing.

I can't wait.

Has anyone already tries PSVR in combination with GT Sport? Was this already available at the demo days in the US?
In Europe we have to wait a couple of weeks to experience PSVR before hitting some gamestores.

BTW both PSVR and GT Sport already pre ordered :)

I'm a bit worried about the immersion when the ingame steering wheel doesn't match the movements of your real steering wheel. It's weird that GT still doesn't have this while basically every modern racing game has it.

I'm a bit worried about the immersion when the ingame steering wheel doesn't match the movements of your real steering wheel. It's weird that GT still doesn't have this while basically every modern racing game has it.
This will be a complete immersion killer if it's not implemented correctly. Having used my Vive in PCars and Asseto Corsa I can honestly say that after a while you really believe the arms and steering wheel you see in the headset are your real arms. There have been a few instances when I've been playing and got a genuine shock when I took my real hand of the steering wheel and the in game hand didn't do the same thing!

If in the in game wheel and arms suddenly stop and your real arms keep moving it will be a very strange feeling.

This will be a complete immersion killer if it's not implemented correctly. Having used my Vive in PCars and Asseto Corsa I can honestly say that after a while you really believe the arms and steering wheel you see in the headset are your real arms. There have been a few instances when I've been playing and got a genuine shock when I took my real hand of the steering wheel and the in game hand didn't do the same thing!

If in the in game wheel and arms suddenly stop and your real arms keep moving it will be a very strange feeling.
It's also a big immersion killer without VR. I use cockpit cam for every car in PCars but it just doesn't work in GT. When taking a corner I get the feeling that the car can turn much more, but it obviously can't.

It's also a big immersion killer without VR. I use cockpit cam for every car in PCars but it just doesn't work in GT. When taking a corner I get the feeling that the car can turn much more, but it obviously can't.
Very true, I always try and turn wheel and arms off in game if I can and then adjust cockpit position so that my real wheel looks right.

If VR was cheaper I'd probably get it, but it would work perfectly with GT Sport. For that reason I may get VR, but performance will definitely be an issue, as it's been discussed quite a lot here.
Performance will not 'definitely' be an issue.

I'd wager that perceived resolution/graphical fidelity will be the main talking point once people have it in their homes.

Dirt Rally has the same issue.

Unless they plan on implementing accurate steering ranges and arm animations to match, they're going to need an option to disable both these, largely for PSVR users.

If they dont, it could be a total deal-breaker for many.

Last edited:
I am surprised not to see this thread on top of the list.
With ps vr launch just 2 weeks away there is barely any info to be found.
But then again, GTS delayed with no release date and no info on vr implementation.
I can not wait to get my hands on my gamestop preorder of ps vr.

And probably that is the main reason for delay?? GT Sport experience for PSVR. As far as I know (or I should google better) We have not seen any footage of GTS PSVR combo yet. Or am I talking ****?

And probably that is the main reason for delay?? GT Sport experience for PSVR. As far as I know (or I should google better) We have not seen any footage of GTS PSVR combo yet. Or am I talking ****?
There was only talks earlier this year of ps vr support.
No actual footage anywhere, while driveclub vr is being released same day as the ps vr.

There was only talks earlier this year of ps vr support.
No actual footage anywhere, while driveclub vr is being released same day as the ps vr.
Yeah there hasn't been any new information on PSVR compatibility after the announcement. I don't think VR is the cause of the delay because they are making the game with PSVR in mind and they devs of Driveclub had to convert and optimize a 30fps game to a VR-able environment while still looking good.

I personally can't wait for PlayStation VR And will be playing GT SPORT only in VR if u are Unser about it you can follow me on YouTube at LOW LOWS GAMING I will be posting vids as much as I can on PSVR I will have my first VR video out the 18 or 19th of this month and u can see a real perspective and viewing

I personally can't wait for PlayStation VR And will be playing GT SPORT only in VR if u are Unser about it you can follow me on YouTube at LOW LOWS GAMING I will be posting vids as much as I can on PSVR I will have my first VR video out the 18 or 19th of this month and u can see a real perspective and viewing

Are some of the keys missing on your keyboard? Also, I'll pass, thanks.

Nope, as far as I've seen, GT Sport has not been demonstrated on PSVR anywhere yet.

Scepticism I see :P
I think it's from VR given that the head is moving, and the trailer is about VR. However, it looks too clean for a VR version when I compare it with Driveclub VR videos.
You think it is from VR even though the image looks better than VR and the head movement could either be part of the base game are created through post processing. Makes perfect sense:dunce:

Back