Gran Turismo Sport VR discussion thread

• Thread starter cocoflowa
  • 242 comments

Are you interested in GT Sport VR experience?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Question: kinda off topic, have they said if you can use PSVR with non-VR games? like it would replace your TV, so its like a Sony 3D Viewer? i'd love to use it in GTA so i can sky dive off maze bank and face plant the ground in first person, im sure that would feel soooo strange, but awesome.

Question: kinda off topic, have they said if you can use PSVR with non-VR games? like it would replace your TV, so its like a Sony 3D Viewer? i'd love to use it in GTA so i can sky dive off maze bank and face plant the ground in first person, im sure that would feel soooo strange, but awesome.
I do remember reading a quote from a Sony representative that you could use it as a screen for normal games, just that your head won't move in the game, obviously. I also remember reading that you could use it for movies/Netflix too, to watch them with the PlayStation VR headset on. Here, check this out, it has the details on the first post: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1197520

Only thing remaining to consider is the cost factor - for PC it takes a substantial rig to have a smooth VR experience, and for Playstation ecosystem I'm waiting on the fence to see whether or not Sony would ditch the hardware just because of a poor initial sales.
Fortunately, even if it bombs after a few million sales, which is all but guaranteed on this toy happy planet, there will be enough games supporting it to make it worthwhile. No Man's Sky and Gran Turismo definitely fall into those "I have to experience this" category. Flight sims too.

i have a GEAR VR with my Samsung S7, its not bad, but its not good. it just does head tracking. No body movement like the HTC vive, but its VR none the less. For me, unless it can be integrated well, its best not to have it in GTS.

VR can be useful for cockpit view for sure, but any other view is pointless. like chase cam, you may as well be looking at a regular TV screen. As for whether or not i would like it in GTS, i don't feel its a necessary thing. Its just more money on top of buying a console, a game, a wheel, and a PSPlus subscription, and of course being connected to the internet. Its only viable if you use it all the time.

VR is coming and will be taking over the industry (many industries actually), embrace, or just be left behind.

VR can be useful for cockpit view for sure, but any other view is pointless. like chase cam, you may as well be looking at a regular TV screen.

I get what you're saying, but the point of VR is to feel that you're in a space, and not just looking at a screen. So for chase cam it will feel as though you are floating behind the car. Which may be extremely disorienting if not handled well. Someone will get a kick out of it.

How will it affect the psychic industry?

Duh dude, you will be able to sit IN VR, ACROSS THE WORLD, in a Virtual Room, with a famous psychics, FOR THE LOW LOW PRICE OF $19.99/MIN!

giphy.gif

I was interested in this until the nature of GTS became apparent. Now I have no interest at all. Perhaps in the future - after any side affects become properly understood.

Perhaps in the future - after any side affects become properly understood.

Health involving issues and associated side effects of the usage of Head Mounted Displays are well documented and do not appear to be subject of major controversy. From the many studies available the following offers a rather comprehensive synthesis. It is published by the Australian Departement of Defence and is extensively referenced; an easily recommended read for people evaluating the purchase of a VR headset: “Side Effects of Virtual Environments: A Review of the Literature” Judy Barrett.

No interest whatsoever because I know I wouldn't be able to use it owing to motion sickness, which I get badly from normal first person games.

Hmm yeah, me too. I've never played Call of Duty because of this, but maybe that was a frame-rate issue from older games...

I hope VR doesn't make me sick, because I really want to play GT/AC/DC with it.

Last edited:
VR can be useful for cockpit view for sure, but any other view is pointless. like chase cam, you may as well be looking at a regular TV screen. As for whether or not i would like it in GTS, i don't feel its a necessary thing.

One of the reasons I play gt6 is because its a "driving simulation" game. I use cockpit view exclusively to get that immersion but it can be a disadvantage when racing in close quarters as it can be almost impossible to know where the other cars are if they are slightly behind you. Blind spot indicators do a poor job of compensating for actually being able to turn your head like you can do in real life. That's the advantage of VR. Spotting apexes, checking blindspots, feeling like your actually in the car!

If you don't race in cockpit view, I think you're right VR would be useless in GTS.

One of the reasons I play gt6 is because its a "driving simulation" game. I use cockpit view exclusively to get that immersion but it can be a disadvantage when racing in close quarters as it can be almost impossible to know where the other cars are if they are slightly behind you. Blind spot indicators do a poor job of compensating for actually being able to turn your head like you can do in real life. That's the advantage of VR. Spotting apexes, checking blindspots, feeling like your actually in the car!

If you don't race in cockpit view, I think you're right VR would be useless in GTS.

Honestly, if you don't use cockpit view...

images

You can use VR for spatial awareness but it isn't the only solution. IRacing has a spotter app, Assetto Corsa has HeliCorsa and GT5 had an excellent mini map feature. I've used all 3 and in my opinion both types of systems should be available in all simulation racing games.

I'm calling it now, unpopular opinion or not: I don't think VR will make it in the game at release, and could very well be this game's course creator. That response didn't exactly fill me with confidence. :-/

Which is a shame, because after trying it, it's fantastic. I feel bad for those that get nauseous from VR headsets, because they really bump immersion up to a level even an expensive triple-screen setup can't provide. Racing games are also arguably the best genre to take advantage of it, too. I can't wait to play my favourite driving games with a VR setup; it's too bad that, much like wheels, it looks like almost nothing will work across the board.

That reads like right away (ps4) it wont have an advantage, but later it will (NEO), because of frame timing, tearing and resolution.

Just need to know when NEO is being released...

Hmm yeah, me too. I've never played Call of Duty because of this, but maybe that was a frame-rate issue from older games...

I hope VR doesn't make me sick, because I really want to play GT/AC/DC with it.

I don't think they know exactly what causes it, it used to be speculated it's because of the disparity between the camera moving and the fact you're not, and your brain gets confused, but for me it can happen just by fast moving cameras in any game and shaking/bobbing. For example the Tomb Raider reboot had a subtle camera shake and that made me feel funny, I'm not the only one either - https://www.reddit.com/r/TombRaider...raider_definitive_edition_ps4_shaking_camera/

Also as the person there points out, MGS GZ and MGS5 both have a camera shake but thankfully that one can be disabled. They're third person games which generally speaking are fine, but add in that camera shake and my brain doesn't like it. Another game that I've mentioned on this board before is Spyro. The fast, spinning cameras on that always made me feel awful, as a kid I didn't make the connection but as an adult I realised.

First person games are by far the worst and I just don't attempt to even play them any more, last one I gave a go was 'The Stanley Parable', which isn't even particularly fast paced but I had to turn it off after half an hour. Oh and a few years ago 'Mirrors Edge', that was awful.

I also remember going on those theme park rides where you're in a motion seat simulating what you're watching on a screen, like a roller coaster or something, I couldn't stomach those either. Which does suggest that either my brain can't be tricked into thinking it's moving, or it's something else.

But anyway, with that in mind I'm 99% sure VR would do the same for me.

I don't think they know exactly what causes it, it used to be speculated it's because of the disparity between the camera moving and the fact you're not, and your brain gets confused, but for me it can happen just by fast moving cameras in any game and shaking/bobbing. For example the Tomb Raider reboot had a subtle camera shake and that made me feel funny, I'm not the only one either - https://www.reddit.com/r/TombRaider...raider_definitive_edition_ps4_shaking_camera/

Also as the person there points out, MGS GZ and MGS5 both have a camera shake but thankfully that one can be disabled. They're third person games which generally speaking are fine, but add in that camera shake and my brain doesn't like it. Another game that I've mentioned on this board before is Spyro. The fast, spinning cameras on that always made me feel awful, as a kid I didn't make the connection but as an adult I realised.

First person games are by far the worst and I just don't attempt to even play them any more, last one I gave a go was 'The Stanley Parable', which isn't even particularly fast paced but I had to turn it off after half an hour. Oh and a few years ago 'Mirrors Edge', that was awful.

I also remember going on those theme park rides where you're in a motion seat simulating what you're watching on a screen, like a roller coaster or something, I couldn't stomach those either. Which does suggest that either my brain can't be tricked into thinking it's moving, or it's something else.

But anyway, with that in mind I'm 99% sure VR would do the same for me.

Argh, Mirror's Edge!! :boggled:

Yeah, I've always had broadly the same experience, my worst include having to basically entirely skip the N64 - GoldenEye made me sick in like 10 frames (ten minutes of gameplay).

I think of it as movement with no context. Or just low frame rate movement in general. FPS games are bad because you generally see just a gun. And when you're further disconnected watching someone else play? Instant quease. Being on a boat at sea is much worse when you can't see the horizon.

In this sense, for driving games, being able to see the cockpit, your hands etc, hopefully gives you that context. It's never been a vision thing for me, personally.

The lack of physical feedback is my biggest worry, the g-forces not being there when you slam the brakes at 200mph and whatnot...

Yeah thankfully I've never had an issue with any racing game. I might try VR with a racing game, to see how it goes with that, but I certainly won't be buying one because it seems highly likely to be nauseating for most games.

I have done 100 or so online races in VR in iRacing, plus even more numerous hours practising and other than feeling light headed for the first couple of laps using the Oculus DK1 a few years ago I haven't felt anything strange at all whilst driving racing games with the DK1, DK2 and now the CV1. It's flat screens trying to give an approximation of reality that is strange, not a VR headset getting much closer to reality (head tracking, 3D etc).

For some people their brains won't cope and VR will not be for them. For the vast majority it is the future. I used to use triple screens, nice but not remotely as good as a VR headset (for me).

Yeah thankfully I've never had an issue with any racing game. I might try VR with a racing game, to see how it goes with that, but I certainly won't be buying one because it seems highly likely to be nauseating for most games.
There are VR places springing up across the country, including one across the road from where I work. I'll be checking it out once it opens just to be sure that I'm "compatible", perhaps that could be an option for you (maybe skip lunch as well as work...) :)

Me personally not. I don't care about VR. It's a nonsense like move or kinect was to me. What's your opinion on that?

lol. That just means you haven't tried it. It's the future. And the future is now.

For sim racing or flying games it's a total game changer. Even when the res and image quality is lower, the immersion totally makes up for it. You can see everything like you would in a real car. You can check your mirrors, look in your blind spot and turn your head to look at an apex. You can judge distances better because it's all in the 3d. When you spin out you feel it. You have a better sense of how fast you're going.

It's just fantastic.

The only thing is it requires much graphic crunching power. If the screens are so close to your eyes than you need very high resolutions. Plus now you have to render one screen on each eye. So you need 2 x HD graphics power. It's more like 4K gaming. Oh, and you need a solid 90 fps. So, most graphics cards can't handle 4K gaming with AA and all the post processing turned up and hold 90 fps.

For now, the graphics take a hit but it's totally worth it. I can't wait for the next generation of DX12 graphics cards, games and the next gen of VR headsets.

Those concerned with side effects might want to Google search "VR therapy" and see the things medicine is doing with it.

That reads like right away (ps4) it wont have an advantage, but later it will (NEO), because of frame timing, tearing and resolution.

Just need to know when NEO is being released...
That's not what I took away from it.

For one, frametiming has to be perfect for VR. That should not be an issue on the base PS4, it's not actually that difficult to get a game to run at a capped framerate with proper timing. Shouldn't be, at least.

And tearing cant happen in VR. Another thing that shouldn't be difficult to eliminate with a simple capped and v-sync'd solution. Variable framerates in VR are a no-no.

In terms of resolution, Neo should allow for a higher pre-buffer resolution, which will definitely help sharpen up the IQ a good bit, but the output resolution will always be 1920x1080, Neo cant help with that. While this may have a positive benefit on competitiveness, I think whether somebody is better or worse in VR compared to on a flat screen will be very individual. VR affects the experience in so many ways and there's so many small little things that aren't at all obvious on a flat screen that play a part in VR and these can all influence whether you're able to do better, the same, or worse.

From all the people I've talked to, *most* seem to think that they drive better in VR. I do tend to notice that a good percent of these people were not expert sim racers to begin with, so it may just be that the intuitiveness is much better in VR, whereas people who have been sim racing for a long time may already be 'trained' to deal with some of the limiting factors of flat screen racing, such as judging depth, having a locked forward view, artificial sense of speed and all. That said, I have heard top drivers say they drive even better in VR, too. So obviously there's a whole more to it.

It's gonna be interesting and I dont think there's going to be any one clear 'advantageous' way to play for everybody.

Interested yes buy probably not. $400 for psvr, rather get a new wheel. It could be the perfect medium for racing. I read best buy has demo of psvr so I may change my mind afterwards. Cheers

Me personally not. I don't care about VR. It's a nonsense like move or kinect was to me. What's your opinion on that?
I agree I'd rather also be able to look at the rest of the surrounding besides The game, like with a screen.

I kinda hope they add the feature GT5 had. Just make it better. With a PS Eye camera, you could move your head right/left, and the camera angle in cockpit view did the same. Kinda a baws feature if you look at it.. It just should've been better.
Pretty much what it'll be. The main problem IMO is getting 3 year old low end hardware to run something made for 2016 basic PC specs

Pretty much what it'll be. The main problem IMO is getting 3 year old low end hardware to run something made for 2016 basic PC specs
It won't be "made for 2016 basic PC specs", it'll be made to run on PS4. Or else it won't run at all, will it?

So the issue is going to be what it will look like, and what role "Neo" will play.

The "head tracking" using only face recognition is very different so, whilst I hope it's in, it's extra developmental effort so it shouldn't be expected.

It's quite interesting actually, because you've effectively got all these additional tasks / modules according to what hardware the player has: camera for optical tracking, 3D display, VR display, different controllers etc. That means the game will have to be tuned to work with all of that optimally and in some cases in combination, assuming any / all of it is to be included.

Back