Gran Turismo Sport VR discussion thread

• Thread starter cocoflowa
  • 242 comments

Are you interested in GT Sport VR experience?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Crikey, I was not expecting that either!

I was really looking forward to this on VR, guess DriveClub VR has some life in it yet. I do so hope that we get a VR racing sim that has been created for the VR experience.

Just another reason for me to dump my PS4. GT Sport not the game I'm looking for, no Fanatec support and now this, seemingly, very limited VR mode. Glad I cancelled my PSVR pre-order before release.

The only reason I have a PSVR was for GTS, and now I'm thinking on selling all my GT games PS4, cancel my PS4 PRO pre order, and PSVR and go PC!! This is a hard hit to me because I've been a GT fan from day 1. This seem's like a cop out to me.

Having an HTC Vive, I have seen the performance impact when you move from 1080p display to VR.

I was very interested to see how a "real games" and not only VR experiences or mini-games could run on the PS4 or PS4 Pro considering the 90 fps target.

... then I guess we have the answer: it will be nearly impossible for the PS4 / PS4 Pro hardware to allow playing a full AAA game in VR. In most cases we will be limited to VR-specific games or VR restricted modes like it will be the case for GT Sport.

I run VR (Oculus Rift) on the PC and love it, mostly iRacing. I thought it was great that GT Sport was going to get VR support even though I'm unlikely to move back to PS4 and GT. So, I'm very sad to see this news - GT Sport and VR would have been a match made in heaven, it really would. Once again PD fails. :-(

Having an HTC Vive, I have seen the performance impact when you move from 1080p display to VR.

I was very interested to see how a "real games" and not only VR experiences or mini-games could run on the PS4 or PS4 Pro considering the 90 fps target.

... then I guess we have the answer: it will be nearly impossible for the PS4 / PS4 Pro hardware to allow playing a full AAA game in VR. In most cases we will be limited to VR-specific games or VR restricted modes like it will be the case for GT Sport.
You dont need to hit 90fps on PSVR. 60fps reprojected to 120fps seems to work ok. Even Oculus is now creating a 45fps reprojected to 90fps mode via asynchronous spacewarp so people with lesser PC's can run VR content.

PSVR also has a lower resolution target than Vive and Rift. It's not by much, but 25% less pixels needing to be rendered is still a worthwhile savings.

Combined, it means that hardware requirements for a given title are less than they'd be on PC(using the full blown 90fps refresh rate max). Sounds like that still wasn't enough for GT Sport, though. It's a huge loss for PSVR and existing PSVR owners. I know plenty of people bought one in the hopes of having some good racing titles for it.

Anyways, I think the biggest thing that I really hope PD include in GT Sport is an ability to run multiplayer races in VR. Looking over at a car next to you and knowing that a human is piloting the vehicle is a far cooler sensation than if it's just AI, especially if the AI is predictable and uncompetitive.

Idk why everyone's upset about a limited VR mode. Pretty much all of the "Triple A" games coming out recently with VR support have been limited in some form or fashion.

Idk why everyone's upset about a limited VR mode. Pretty much all of the "Triple A" games coming out recently with VR support have been limited in some form or fashion.
Because they had previously said that VR would be available for all aspects of the game.

It was supposed to be one of PSVR's killer titles and only learning about this after PSVR has been released and many people have already spent their money on it is a bit lousy.

We haven't seen what 'VR Tour' mode actually entails, but considering that the game will be drastically short on any sort of single-player campaign, I'm guessing it will something like a series of set AI races using varied cars and tracks with small grid sizes and probably some sort of car viewing feature where you can inspect the car models in VR. Still worthwhile, but also still painful given what was originally promised.

Last edited:
Because they had previously said that VR would be available for all aspects of the game.

It was supposed to be one of PSVR's killer titles and only learning about this after PSVR has been released and many people have already spent their money on it is a bit lousy.

We haven't seen what 'VR Tour' mode actually entails, but considering that the game will be drastically short on any sort of single-player campaign, I'm guessing it will something like a series of set AI races using varied cars and tracks with small grid sizes and probably some sort of car viewing feature where you can inspect the car models in VR. Still worthwhile, but also still painful given what was originally promised.

True, but I think it's kind of a precipitation, buying/pre-ordering PSVR just for one game, that didn't even came out yet. Maybe that's just me, but I wouldn't risk so much money for something that's yet to be seen.

True, but I think it's kind of a precipitation, buying/pre-ordering PSVR just for one game, that didn't even came out yet. Maybe that's just me, but I wouldn't risk so much money for something that's yet to be seen.
I wouldn't either, but I'm guessing most people wouldn't have bought PSVR early *just* for GT Sport. They can still want to get one because there are other titles they'd like to play while also anticipating GT Sport and factoring that in the decision to buy one.

I wouldn't either, but I'm guessing most people wouldn't have bought PSVR early *just* for GT Sport. They can still want to get one because there are other titles they'd like to play while also anticipating GT Sport and factoring that in the decision to buy one.

The word "just" is crucial here.
There are some comments in this exact topic that point that, the full interest on PSVR just for GTS.
At this stage I don't think there is a game that would make it totally worth it. It seems very limited so far (even Fallout will have a different game to be played with VR, from what I've heard), and so far there are no big games with such feature. It's very risky for someone who will only be using VR from time to time.
But I get what you're saying.

I bought PSVR because having grown up with gaming since it's very early days (ok I'm getting on a bit) VR was a dream. The experiences I have had have mostly been quite amazing, I did not expect it to be quite so immersive.

I love driving games and have played nearly all the GT series along with the more recent PCars and AC. Now with PSVR, the arcade DriveClub has taken my time over from the others, just because I can sit in the car with my wheel and feel at one with that game.

DriveClub took a significant hit in the aesthetics and I can't help think that Kaz, being the perfectionist that he is, was not prepared to drop to the requirement to run in VR for the full game. Personally, I think it is a shame because immersion is key, it is amazing as another poster said, to look left or right and see another users car racing for his/her life.

Still early days, I am sure there will be a sim racer made for PSVR, I've been prepared to wait nearly fifty years !!

Hi Guys, I have played DK1 for many hours, and then when my friend got the Full fat Oculus I hammered that too, probably played it more than him for first few months lol, I could see pixels quite clearly on DK1 and visuals where not great, but I tell you this, playing mainly project cars with it, it was still ace, did I feel sick at some points, hell yea, did it make me want to stop, hell no.

The Rift is not any better really motion sickness wise, but the visuals are great, not as good as a great tv setup but good enough to not make it like playing a ps2 game, I can tell you this from someone who has never suffered motion sickness of any kind, you will feel it at some point, mainly during quick movement changes such as the car spinning out which I felt added to the immersion, you also get the belly feeling from going over a hill very quickly in a car, so if you go up the crest of a hill up and down very quickly you will feel the butterflies in your tummy like you would for real, your brain tries to replicate what it sees, it is a brilliant experience but unfortunately if you suffer motion sickness in real life you won't be able to play VR, when your not crashing, the motion sickness wasn't an issue an as a decent player I won't crash much anyways so its not an issue like I said. once you play it it is a game changer you don't want to go back to normal TV, what I will say is the sense of speed isn't what I would have liked, didn't get sense of going really fast when up pst 100 mph etc, and when you were travelling at say 50 mph g oing into a corner it felt really slow and you need time to adjust, so I found fast corners easier than I did for slower corners regarding judging entry speed etc, I think this may be part of the power required for all the variables, but for a new product on the market I am ecstatic, as I can't imagine what the next wave of versions bring, for racing games and flying games it is no better match up as they both have the user sitting still, and even just sitting in a car looking in the back, up out the sun roof, moving your hands about trying to touch things, its awesome, I must admit it didn't track arms which I can only imagine will make it better, but to the guys saying if it doesn't do this there's no point, I can assure you even with your virtual arms stuck to the wheel, if you play a decent racing game on a VR and you are into racing games(like everyone on this website) you will want it now, no questions asked, it is the future of our favorite genre, utterly immense and I only ever felt motion sickness when I would have felt something in real life as the car was changing direction rapidly.

I have played some indie games like Jump and felt really sick at times, nearly collapsed as my knees where physically shaking and if I didn't take headset off I would have collapsed, it is like your brain gets confused and goes haywire at some points as it tries to replicate what the eyes are seeing but the balance etc which works from fluid in your brain and ears etc isn't being tricked, this is what can cause issues not just how god the pic is, full fat rift i didnt notice any pixels, bear in mind fps games involve actually replicating moving and jumping in first person view, this is the area that's a minefield and will be a no no for a lot of gamer's physically, but for our genre its brilliant. I can't wait.

I can tell you this from someone who has never suffered motion sickness of any kind, you will feel it at some point, mainly during quick movement changes such as the car spinning out which I felt added to the immersion, you also get the belly feeling from going over a hill very quickly in a car, so if you go up the crest of a hill up and down very quickly you will feel the butterflies in your tummy like you would for real, your brain tries to replicate what it sees, it is a brilliant experience but unfortunately if you suffer motion sickness in real life you won't be able to play VR,
I appreciate your impressions, but be very careful thinking that your experience will be the same for everybody else. If VR has taught us one thing so far, it's that people's reactions to the technology can be *wildly* different and quite unpredictable. I've seen quite a lot of people who say they are motion sick-prone in real life, yet are basically impervious to it in the VR apps they've tried, including ones that are typically considered some of the more 'extreme' ones in terms of comfort levels.

I have the PlayStation VR. Got it day 1 it was released thankfully and popped in Driveclub VR. Now, as a person who usually hates arcade racing games, I found it to be quite fun to race in. The movements with the headset were sharp and it really felt like I was in the car. The headset is also a lot lighter than I initially thought it would be. The only problem I had with it was no G-forces while turning, which should be expected. Just be sure to focus it before use otherwise it'll be pretty blurry even if you have 20/20 vision.

Edited: I forgot to add that while I did not feel like having motion sickness at all, that's generally because I'm not one to get sick. Experiences with any headset may vary.

As for GT Sport, I cannot wait to finally try VR on a legitimate simulator.

I appreciate your impressions, but be very careful thinking that your experience will be the same for everybody else. If VR has taught us one thing so far, it's that people's reactions to the technology can be *wildly* different and quite unpredictable. I've seen quite a lot of people who say they are motion sick-prone in real life, yet are basically impervious to it in the VR apps they've tried, including ones that are typically considered some of the more 'extreme' ones in terms of comfort levels.
Your right without doubt, and tbh I only know of my own and my friends experience who owns the rift that have played it, and we both get a bit of motion but as long ass it's just when crashing I don't mind, but yes people should really be trying this out before investing quite a lot of money, there are loads of oculus and PS vr systems on the second hand market here in Britain, and not at inflated prices as there is no stock but many for less than the cost new, this would indicate some people just don't like it or suffer from motion sickness, but for me personally it is amazing. try if you can guys.

upload_2016-12-3_14-35-29.png

"Select cars and tracks." Is this referring to the VR Tour mode or is it even more restricted than we thought?

exactly the same as Driveclub vs Driveclub VR. less cars, tracks, details but maximum immersion
Oh DC VR cuts back on the tracks too? Didn't know that.

I was just expecting the GT VR Tour mode to be reduced number of cars on track with slightly less track details to be honest. Guess I'm going to be wrong.

See? How will this work for someone's manufacturer campaign?
Do VR Mode "points" not payout in VR Mode. Will VR Mode driver's etiquette be separate to all other modes?
Going to be a long wait for game details.

I see. So, people that buy a Pro for a premium, will then have to buy the GTS Pro for a premium and not be able to "fully immerse" themselves in the whole game.

I see. So, people that buy a Pro for a premium, will then have to buy the GTS Pro for a premium and not be able to "fully immerse" themselves in the whole game.
Pro versions of games are not separate or extra cost.

Back