GT Mobile pictures (big update from reply #191)

• Thread starter Fruitcake
  • 223 comments
Merged threads...

Although I like to see the new info i.e. cars, tracks etc., I'm highly suspicious of these "screenshots" as well. Correct me if I am wrong, but how are these 'screenshots' even possible on a PSP? :confused:

They are in-game, but ediited a little to give it a better look. They took out the jaggies, the very few they had, and upscaled them to HD.
You have got to be joking.

Last edited:
again not true PSP reso shots:

gran-turismo-psp-chevrolet-corvette-zr1-front-three-quarter-1.jpg

gran-turismo-psp-chevrolet-corvette-zr1-front-three-quarter-2.jpg

Thats more than not PSP res, thats not even a PSP car model. Notice the high poly count round the headlights and the wing mirror, fully modeled interior and use of bump mapping and reflections on the spotlight, then compare it to the other bullshots of the enzo and GTR that have painted on body panel gaps/exhaust pipes/shadows as well as a much lower poly count.

So is this PD overselling GTM or giving us little hints about what is clearly GT5 content?

Or, its all just photomode. Although I must say, if it is photomode, then you can expect some of the best screenshots coming from the psp...

I don't want to think its GT5, I would rather PD give us shock with GT5 information, stuff that looks even better than these BShots, anyway that corvette driving in el captain, if you look at the mountain behind it, it is really similar style to the mountain thats on eiger.

Or, its all just photomode. Although I must say, if it is photomode, then you can expect some of the best screenshots coming from the psp...

I don't want to think its GT5, I would rather PD give us shock with GT5 information, stuff that looks even better than these BShots, anyway that corvette driving in el captain, if you look at the mountain behind it, it is really similar style to the mountain thats on eiger.

I don't think they would swap in a bunch of ultra high res cars in just for photomode, PD have said that they are trying to get the game down to 1GB, not sure they'd manage it with 800 car models that sexy!

Anyway, I do agree with you, I don't think thats a GT5 shot, more likely a GT5 car model using the GTM game engine, or at least the same engine as those other Bshots. It clearly is El Capitan as you say, and it looks exactly like it did in GT4 as you would expect from GTM not GT5. Also note the angular shadow...

I've come up with a theory about this, because this isn't the first time GT5 stuff has been leaked through GTM info. Maybe Sony have told PD they can't market GT5 yet and have to push the PSP version first as a poster child for the upcoming PSP Go, so what they are doing, as a way of keeping us civil, is putting little messages in that give clues about GT5, such as Nurburgring and the ZR1 here.

When the time comes though, I'm sure PD will have a whole bunch of more exciting stuff to show off than 'it will have a Corvette!' :sly:

For me the first picture of the corvette is clearly a gt5 image, the others are gt5 models renders in gtpsp tracks, but in any case this shoots are not taken by psp gameplay

Completely agreeing with Paladin here... you must be real die-hard fanboys to blindly believe these bullshots. Come on! Get Real: THIS IS IMPOSSIBLE ON A PSP!!! It really amazes me to see that people believes in these "crap"shots... you must live in a dream or never have seen what kind of graphics a PSP can deliver when pushed to the limit (God of War, Resistance). Geez!

What doesn't lie between my screenshots (from the most crispiest ingame video at the moment) and the bullshots:
Ingame: much (much) lower polygon model, specular reflection (by one light source, no real reflexion) and very basic shadows, jaggies,...
Bullshots: much higher polygons count (look at the rims for Xsake!), REAL reflections on the cars and dynamic ported shadows, NO jaggies, Motion Blur etc...= BULLSHOTS (or photomode shots or more obviously starting cinematic) = Shots that don't reflect at all what the visuals are when you actually PLAY THE GAME.

Last edited:
Yeah not a chance those shots are legit, not even for photo mode. Poly count is way too high, effects are way too much for PSP to handle.

Crappy camera or RAM dump doesn't matter, no way the PSP is pushing that level of image not to mention the obvious resolution issues.

I can't believe anyone thinks those are real, the PSP is less powerful than the PS2. So how could it make better graphics?

I can't believe anyone thinks those are real, the PSP is less powerful than the PS2. So how could it make better graphics?

Wishes, dreams and a lack of understanding of what can be accomplished by technology?

I would assume those who think these are cleaned up anti aliased versions of PSP screenshots are the same people who believe all the tricks they see in CSI and that you can "enhance" a grainy 1/4 res security camera shot of a reflection of a license plate on a rainy night enough to see that the tags have expried.

Too complicated... the most obvious is that theses screens are from the developer build engine of the game rendered on a powerful PC with all the bells and whistles (real time reflections, higher polygons count, better texture, higher resolution and antialiasing X8 at least) that YOU WON'T HAVE when playing the game on the PSP and its lack of horsepower. What I don't understand is like Paladin said: why these bullshots when the more realistic and fair ingame videos give already a graphic advantage on all the other car racing on the PSP??? Why are they taking us for a bunch of fools with these obvious fake "ingame" screenshot? this is really stupid.

Yep, NYC.

These pics are cool, add higher res textures and you almost have GT5. :lol:

EDIT: This looks better than Forza 3. :D

Too complicated... the most obvious is that theses screens are from the developer build engine of the game rendered on a powerful PC with all the bells and whistles (real time reflections, higher polygons count, better texture, higher resolution and antialiasing X8 at least) that YOU WON'T HAVE when playing the game on the PSP and its lack of horsepower. What I don't understand is like Paladin said: why these bullshots when the more realistic and fair ingame videos give already a graphic advantage on all the other car racing on the PSP??? Why are they taking us for a bunch of fools with these obvious fake "ingame" screenshot? this is really stupid.

That doesn't fly either because all those effects you are talking about (that won't be on the PSP version) would need to be programed into this developers version and they are not easy or fast to do well (as they are done here) not to mention that the car models actually exceed what will be on the PSP (modeled interiors and 3d rims to start).

This is not GTM models, this is not the GTM graphics engine, and the resolution is not one PSP is capable of (even upscaled PSP resolution would lack the crispness and fine detail and if these were just rendered at higher resolution it still wouldn't make sense as the poly count is too high, try running a PS2 game in an emulator on your PC at high res, the textures and poly detail doesn't get better, the edges just get sharper).

This is so much not GTM that it's just not right to lable it in any way GTM unless you are simply saying "This type of car and a course with this layout will be in GTM".

OK guys, I took some of these new "GTM" shots and put them into PS at their shown resolution (NOTE uploading these pictures to GTplanet resulted in them being shrunk down, to see them in their original size download this zip file of the pictures as I made them the difference is even more pronounced) than took some of the PSP screen shots and enlarged them up to the same resolution and put them side by side for comparison. Note PS when enlarging a picture does a decent job of cleaning it up so it's not a super harsh pixelated eyesore, so while not super processed, these blown up PSP screens are indeed smoothed and touched up a bit.

Now this is certainly not rendering at a higher resolution on a powerful PC or anything like that, but even so you can clearly see the HUGE jump that would be necessary to get from the PSP to these shots... not jus the crispness of the images, but the texture detail, the effects, the complexity of the models... it's just not there...

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

And just for fun, here is one of the new "GTM" screenshots up against a GT5 Prologue screenshot...

attachment.php

Now really... those new screenshots aren't upscaled prettied up GTM mobile screenshots...

Attachments

• GTM.jpg
    GTM.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 266
  • GTM2jpg.jpg
    GTM2jpg.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 263
  • GTM3.jpg
    GTM3.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 264
  • GTM5p.jpg
    GTM5p.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 264
Last edited:
LOL...

but seriously, I think the real screenshots are from a very early build when the specular reflections weren't fully implemented... it's why there is so much difference between thre Youtube ingame videos and the screenshots (I speak about the ones with the toyota supra and the TVR)

There is always the possibility that these pics are actually from the game, but are not "screenshots" - the idea that they could represent game modes other than "in game" is entirely plausible. Bear in mind also that these "screens" do not appear anywhere on the "Official" websites but are press releases, and as such there is always the possibility that these are not considered representative screenshots of GT Mobile (or whatever they call it) by PD themselves. Either way, they look funky as heck (Oh no, I sound like my Dad :ill: ) and they are "real" - but there's no doubt that those hi-res pics are not what you're going to see on your PSP screen.

Last edited:
Mars I am curious what areas of the game these might come from?

The resolution alone says they are not FMV from the game or intro as there is no point in having video that resolution on a console with a screen that is so much less. Also the images show no video compression artifacts which makes it hard to believe they are video used in game as video of that resolution and quality would take a LOT of space to have any decent amount. I am not even sure the PSP could decode video of this resolution and quality.

As for any game generated graphics (in game, photomode or otherwise) again the reolution points to these not being made for the PSP, the car models are such high poly count and the textures so high quality that it does not stand to reason they would be packed into a game (especially one trying to be less than 1GB) that would never get to use them and the effects (reflections, motion blur etc) are beyond what the PSP could do even on a very limited basis in anything near real time (eg photo mode where you aren't really driving but the game engine must render the scene dynamically).

The consessions that have to be made to place these as anything to do with GTM seem beyond reason... so many if's and's or buts that, while possible, just don't make any sense (an almost completely different build of GTM running on hardware that far exceeds the PSP) and even if they are real, it just doesn't seem like an ethical way to represent the product.

These go beyond myspace angle photos in terms of representing what they say they do. I mean if you can say "Car models that aren't the ones in game, effects that aren't the ones in game, shown at a resolution that the console can't do" are reasonable to lable as "GTM pictures" then ok... I am not sure how you can make that statement though as it seems to me like saying oh yeah, that ferrari is a good represntation of a prius... just a prius with a different engine, different tranny, different interior, different body and different chasis. But other than that it's a prius so we are going to show you the ferrari while selling you the prius.

I find this kind of thing aggregious for a simple reason... just look at the responses - people are looking to buy a PSP over what is being represented here... that's false advertising.

Last edited:
I find myself thinking that these screenshots are from some sort of functionality between GTPSP and GT5, such as a photomode from GTPSP to GT5, where you take the picture on the PSP version, but it is "developed" on the GT5 version. Or they could be from a replay theater, where a PSP replay is played back on GT5 (I believe it was mentioned that the physics models can more or less be directly ported between platforms, whereas graphics are another beast entirely). Naturally, this is just wild speculation on my part, but these types of things would be very cool.

On the most recent GTPSP trailer, were the scenes on the PSPs floating around the screen (ignoring the background GT-R and 'vette) roughly the same level of quality that we've seen in PSP gameplay videos? Either way, I'm impressed enough by the screenshots on the official site and by the gameplay videos to consider purchasing it when I get an opportunity. GT5, of course, gets precedence, but I may end up getting both.

much much much more detail. The cars in GT5 probably have a million more polygons then the GT3/4 models

Each car in GT5 Prologue, has an average of 200,000 polies, while in GT4, they have an average of 4,000 polies. So to define it a little better, A GT4 car has about as much polies of a headlight of a car in GT5.

Those pictures posted by Tomaz a few posts back do look very good (too good for GT Mobile??). I am a bit confused by the shade under the Corvette in the last picture. The brightier part under the car doesn't look right.

92077520090731790screen.jpg

Last edited:
Those pictures posted by Tomaz a few posts back do look very good (too good for GT Mobile??). I am a bit confused by the shade under the Corvette in the last picture. The brightier part under the car doesn't look right.

92077520090731790screen.jpg

I think that might be writing on the track?

That looks like Nurburgring Northloop with the painted writing on the track. Also they so are not PSP.. they look too good for the PSP if you compare them with the other PSP screen shots or even what you see in the videos.

Maybe some GT5 screens have leeked.

Mars I am curious what areas of the game these might come from?
As Vincent, mikepoint and others have suggested, it is possible that these pics represent some sort of cross functionality between the PSP and the PS3. The pictures are somewhat confusing/misleading, since we know they cannot be PSP screenshots - but my point is that PD never said they were, not to my knowledge anyway. Although I understand why people may accuse Sony or Polyphony Digital of trying to make the game look better than it is, it isn't a fair criticism to make if these pics really are from the game - but until someone clarifies what they are, we simply can't say for certain either way.

Last edited:
but my point is that PD never said they were, not to my knowledge anyway. Although I understand why people may accuse Sony or Polyphony Digital of trying to make the game look better than it is, it isn't a fair criticism to make if these pics really are from the game - but until someone clarifies what they are, we simply can't say for certain either way.

I'm sorry but you can turn it around any explanation you wan't, the fact is that PD is lying on the final quality of its product... we speak about the "PSP" release here, not any GT5 or other stuff that PD have in mind... so we should have screens and videos WHICH REFLECT the final game on this handeld and it's not the case at all: apart the real early screenshots (supra, TVR, etc...), PD didn't gave us ANY PSP footage or screens in direct feed from the PSP but they lure a lot of people with beautiful graphics that are OBVIOUSLY impossible on this machine. This is unfair and unethical.

I have overlooked the last 2 pages of posts....the pictures mentioned here aren´t "officially" from PD....Speedmaniacs and a dutch console-site are the sources (or am I wrong?). There´s no evidence on the official site...

So maybe (again only a guess:dopey:) someone could have been confound some pics...

These shots are officially released from Sony.
And theyre listed as PSP pics.

The official names are Corvette ZR-1 Beauty Shots.

Back