GT4 General Discussion and Questions

• Thread starter sn00pie
  • 3,640 comments
I had to find serious setups for those events though in the 206 Cup, I never realized that it was like the Speedster one, as I always used the 206 Rally Car. That explains why I couldn't get much advantage to them. I think it will happen in the World Compact Cup.

Are there any setups to make a B-spec car look like an AI car in a similar way?

i hate that, i had the prodrive Impreza in the Boxer Engine challenge, but couldn't get near the same prodrive car as driven by the AI

I had to find serious setups for those events though in the 206 Cup, I never realized that it was like the Speedster one, as I always used the 206 Rally Car. That explains why I couldn't get much advantage to them. I think it will happen in the World Compact Cup.
The World Compact Cup is a piece of cake, actually; you can win it with a pretty much stock Miata. There is a TVR which is eligible, I believe, which makes it a laugher. And if you want complete overkill, the Chaparral 2J is legal but you need to get street tires for it.

Are there any setups to make a B-spec car look like an AI car in a similar way?
Not sure what you're asking here; the B-spec driver is an AI driver and behaves like one.[/quote]

Oh, I'll explain with an example; I know B-spec driver is driven by the AI. In a random race, there's a TVR Cerbera Speed 12 that is leading the race all the time. But if I choose the same TVR, it doesn't drive as the one driven by the AI, because it has problems with some turns. This is something that happened in the Premium Sports Lounge xD

Meaning they may have the customizable transmission, suspension, downforce (if it's a race car), etc. So, I wondered if there were setups that may look a stock car as the cars driven by the AI. Unless they just have in some way, perfect driving.

Ah, yes, the art of tuning a car for the AI driver, yes now I know what you're talking about. Unfortunately it's not something I really got into much; when I would B-spec a race I tended to use a dominating car; it was easier :lol:

The AI drivers, B-Spec or the competition, are by no means perfect as watching them on Autumn Ring or the Sarthe will quickly demonstrate.

One thing I do remember is that you want to dial out understeer as much as possible; that seems to be the AI's biggest problem.

What was the problem track in the Premium Lounge? Sears Point (aka Infineon) by any chance? That's a track where the AI tends to have understeer problems.

Indeed, it happened in the Infineon Course xD Hopefully with my Saleen S7, I'll win it easily. This car is the only car that never failed me as B-spec (at least now).

There's something I don't get in the FGT World Championship... Some Formula cars can drive perfectly with presumably reddish orange / red tires. Using a stock Formula GT is not enough to beat them... (either A-spec or B-spec). Are they customized?? I mean changing some values from the transmission for example, you can't add things to the Formula xD Thanks in advance ^^

I don't recall having any trouble winning the FGTWC with a Formula car in B-Spec. Yes the key is tuning the car for the track. A 10,000 pt driver helps too :D. Gearing is particularly important (always, not just in this series); a good rule of thumb is to set the gears so the the engine just hits max revs just as you start braking at the end of the longest straight. The usual other stuff too -- soften the suspension on bumpier tracks, stiffen it and lower the car on smooth tracks, etc. And get rid of that insane six degrees of toe-in on the real wheels.

Hey, it's me again xD

I'm doing the very last events of the game... The driving missions! I'm having a hard time in the mission 23. I've been reading lots of threads here but the problem comes always from the AI... You see, when I pass all Skyline (except the yellow one), I'm running at 280 km/h until it lows to 264-265 km/h. Once at the second lap, the four Skyline pass me again and I'm ready to pass them again (like in the first lap) but apparently when I do this step in the last lap, they aren't able to reach me and then, I'm always 2 seconds from the yellow one... How can that happen?? O.o

You don't have to let all four re-pass you, just one although usually a second slips past too. The idea is that as soon as they pass you, tuck in behind and draft again. Keep playing leapfrog until you're within range of the leader.

Oh, and don't be afraid to let them ram you, either, to get that last little burst of speed to catch the leader.

It's a difficult mission, and takes perseverance.

We also have an entire thread devoted to this one mission.

Ha ha, that was a challenging mission but BobK is right, just play leapfrog and you'll get there. I think what makes that one a bugger is it's on the Test Course (boring) and you can't tell if you're going to win until 95% of the challenge is done.

I'm currently on race 6 of the FGT series (A Spec only), and it's, um, too easy (in the FGT). I'm not a world class driver, but above average. It seems my only challenge (other than getting it done), is whether I'll win by 2 or 3 laps. I know I could use a lesser car, but I'm in exactly what the AI is in. Slight changes in the tune (getting rid of that crazy amount of default toe is key--use 0/-1) and of course tranny settings for each track--you can last a lap or two longer than them if you drive smooth.

The thing about this series is you can't afford to lose a single race (who wants to come back and have to do another endurance race [essentially] or two?) whether or not you win the overall championship.

CDub

Thanks for all your help, finally I'm done with this game xD

The driving mission 34 was quite tough because the SLK Kompressor blocked me in one of the very last turns and I accidentally bumped it, giving a penalty of 5 seconds but in the process I bumped the Coupe (I went off the track but crashing the Coupe stopped me).... The Kompressor and the Coupe passed me but they weren't fast enough and I passed them before they pass the finish line. That was a strange and funny victory, but I have to do it "cleaner and correctly" some day =P

I have had GT4 for 7 years now and I never could beat all the races in the mission hall. I still have races from the extreme events I still have not beat as well. GT can get hard at times.

Latest update:

Finished the FGT series a couple days ago. Broke down and used Bob for the last few. Just too easy after I won the pole.

Anyway, now finishing up and cleaning up. At around 96ish percent done. All missions except the dastardly 34 done. 6 or 7 rally events to go, but now I have the secret (found e-brake on my G27) so it's just a matter of time. I hope.

I hate that there are no fun ones left. A few dirt and most of the snow rallies. Ugh.

CDub

Edit: don't use the e-brake at all since it's not the right button when driving.

Last edited:
Those tighter rallies are fun provided you can accept:
-A. you'll spend most of your time going 60-100 kph.
-B. The AI are pretty good, you need a car as good or better than theirs to win. (Hint 2003 Rally Impreza with a T3 if necessary.)
-C. You need to be precise, driving at Chamonix & Grand Canyon are probably the hardest tracks in GT4, there's not much difference between getting it right and playing pinball.

M34; Well there's nothing that hasn't already been said about that here.

I Don't find the need to use the handbrake in GT4.

Finish line in sight that Black F1 will be yours soon enough.

You can do some outrageous wallriding at both Chamonix and Grand Canyon (and most of the other dirt tracks as well). Some call it cheating, but sometimes a win is a win.

I can still remember doing the Grand Canyon race once with the Escudo. The vehicle in front kicked up so much dust I couldn't see a thing and the Escudo's huge spoiler didn't help ether. Bottom line, I do not recommend that car for that race. ;)

Who here used to earn up them Toyota RSC Rally Raid car's and sell them for cash? I used to do that all the time.

Last edited:
I can still remember doing the Grand Canyon race once with the Escudo.

Who here used to earn up them Toyota RSC Rally Raid car's and sell them for cash? I used to do that all the time.

I did that frequently earlier in the game (used the Camaro LM and won each way by almost a lap), I absolutely love that track and it's picturesque location. If I had adequate resources, I'd have a home or condo there in real life. Gorgeous.

I'm struggling with the GC track. More details below in my update.

CDub

You can do some outrageous wallriding at both Chamonix and Grand Canyon (and most of the other dirt tracks as well). Some call it cheating, but sometimes a win is a win.

I did that some on the hard ice/snow ones. Finished all but the GC Hard today. More below.

CDub

I know I've won (and sold) plenty of Toyota RSC Rally cars. Using the LM Camaro, in fact, for a lot of them at first. Later I switched to the Mercedes CLK Touring Car. Why? No particular reason. Maybe because the Merc was my weapon of choice for the DTM.

Those tighter rallies are fun provided you can accept:
-A. you'll spend most of your time going 60-100 kph.
-B. The AI are pretty good, you need a car as good or better than theirs to win. (Hint 2003 Rally Impreza with a T3 if necessary.)
-C. You need to be precise, driving at Chamonix & Grand Canyon are probably the hardest tracks in GT4, there's not much difference between getting it right and playing pinball.

M34; Well there's nothing that hasn't already been said about that here.

I Don't find the need to use the handbrake in GT4.

Finish line in sight that Black F1 will be yours soon enough.

Thanks for the notes. I'm at 99.4% right now, all that's left is GC Hard and M34.

I never thought I'd finish the rallies, especially the snow tracks. So so so many maddening penalties! I have gotten better about bouncing the rear and reducing those. I've tried both AT and manual. On everything but these rallies I manual shift. I don't use the e-brake, and since I use a G27 wheel, getting that button assigned is limited. I like having both hands on the wheel and using the paddle shifters.

Rally Cars: My best success with most rallies was with the Lancer Super Rally Car '03. Used that hideous Escudo for a few rallies, but it's maddening with that lag and wheel spin. With or without the turbo, TCS anywhere from 0-10. Can't stop it. In the few places it can get into 5th gear it's awesome.

At GC Hard, I've not sat down and really attacked it yet, but have tried to find a "magic" car but none have been perfect. The two above, or the CZ-3, Lancia S4, Ram, etc. By magic I mean ones that just rocked on 1st attempt.

Anyway, it's just gonna be sitting down and trying again and again. I just don't see many opportunities to wall ride to get through these two. Ugh.

Thanks all and glad to see that some are still interested in GT4!

CDub

I know I've won (and sold) plenty of Toyota RSC Rally cars. Using the LM Camaro, in fact, for a lot of them at first. Later I switched to the Mercedes CLK Touring Car. Why? No particular reason. Maybe because the Merc was my weapon of choice for the DTM.
Bob I just noticed your post and your car of choice for the Almafi "rally". I liked the CLK as well.

CDub

Back in the days of GT4, around 2006 to be specific, my car of choice was the Cadillac Cien (and still is), then I got the Gillet Vertigo Race Car and used it until I won the Escudo only to later run into the black R92CP which quickly became my favorite, until I got greedy and sold it. :( I will make sure I don't do that again.

I used to grind for money a lot on that track, I did that race so much it got to the point where my PS2 would crash as soon as I won the car. Thankfully I got it fixed recently and it works as it should.

I tend to use my old Cadillac Cien now even though I know I have far better cars in my garage. Reason for it is because it was what helped me make my biggest successes in GT4 and it means a lot to me. I am planning on getting back to GT4 and doing it again just to indulge on some old memories. I may even try to get my black R92CP back since I miss it so much.

I did that frequently earlier in the game (used the Camaro LM and won each way by almost a lap), I absolutely love that track and it's picturesque location. If I had adequate resources, I'd have a home or condo there in real life. Gorgeous.
CDub
I love that track as well, brings back so many memories from back in the day. :) It usually is the first place I go when I decide to play GT4 again.

So I've given up GT4 for the time being. I was about to crush my wheel trying GC Hard Rally again and again. I am going to see that "5 second penalty" in my dreams. Grrr! My 5 seconds seem to last about 8. Anyway, I'm gonna mess around in GT3 for awhile. I'm doing the licenses and don't remember the 8th one being so friggin hard!

CDub

Probably stating the obvious here, but the idea is not to get any penalties ;). In any case, yeah, that's definitely the hardest race in the Hall and the only one I haven't 200-pointed. I used the Mitsubishi CZ-3 Tarmac Rally Car with a suspension setup I found here somewhere, don't recall where exactly; can post it if you like.

Unfortunately not as I can't sort the cars so that the ones with the best stats are at the top, or that I can sort out the prize cars, etc. I was thinking something along the lines of a file from MS Excel. I have a similar file for GT5 (which I actually downloaded from this forum, it's over here: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/gt5-car-list-excel-file-google-docs.135155/). I also can't tell on the gamefaqs list which cars are prototypes and/or concepts, which is why I wanted to sort out the cars that didn't fit what I wanted.

---

Turns out I found it, again on this very forum (https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/wondering-what-car-to-buy-try-the-gt4-car-database.53317/) The fool that I am for not looking...

My only question: What does the "src" column mean? The info in that column are just letters: C, N, U and P.

Last edited:
Back