GT5 Review scores (Update :Average metacritic score)

• Thread starter DoctorFouad
  • 1,417 comments
Metacritic is a great way to see the real score of a game as long as you toss out the top handful and the bottom handful of scores that lean twoards the pro and anti sony side. I mean look at heavy rain, a games that was widely acclaimed by critics and players, then look at the MC score list the bottom of the list is filled with silly low scores and the top has a good bit of 10s and whatnot, still psm is going to give any hyped game a 10 on ps by default, or darn close to 10 at any rate.

IGN forums are a horrible yardstick to measure anything, IGn is chalked full of console war trolls on both sides of the isle that defame and down vote each others games and systems. It is not even worth reading the comments in the console sections.

To me the menus were not a big deal i mean they are standard gt menus, would have been nice if they got a year 2010 update but if you played gt1,2,3,4 they are old hat and easy to navigate.

Biggest flaw with the game are the graphic ones, the shadows have been confirmed to be a bug, the non premium cars do look just plain bad on close inspection, but that said during actual racing bad models and low res textures do not matter a bit. But some of the cars that got the standard treatment are just plain shocking like the veyron? I mean a car that many people would like to drive since 99% of the worlds population will never see let alone drive one, and it is a chunky low poly mess, not that i thought the real car looked good to begin with heh, but after 5 6 years how could they not give a few more must try cars the premium treatment.

It is just so jarring when the premium cars look so jaw dropping good is all. I mean the SLR mclaren is amazing car to look at and listen to that growl of that v8 is just pure music.

I am totally baffled why if they were just porting the models in why they just did not at the very lest slap some hd textures on them that would have covered up the jagged seams and whatnot. After 5 years i guess it is a totally valid complaint why they did not lest do that.

I can see an 8.5 to a 9.0 ish range being a valid average. If PD and sony goes full out with updates and extra content via dlc they could have an amazing game. I wonder if they might do premium dlc cars packs that would replace the standard models, i mean some cars already have a standard and premium model oddly like they did start to do that to a degree, maybe that is a hint of future things to come?

If you look at user score's, those are the one's that matter. As we are the ones playing GT5. The average user score is 8.8, which is a very good score. Don't drive angry...

I've driven almost nothing but Standard cars. All of mine look amazing. And when you have to look closely to find flaws with them, such as extreme closeups of screengrabs, that tells me people are intentionally looking for flaws, rather than appraising the game evenhandedly. I watched the Jay Leno Tank Car demo for a good 20 minutes, because I couldn't believe it looked that good.

There are basically six things wrong with GT5.
  • The level system is a terrible idea.
  • The modification system is a work in progress. Like, there are no brake upgrades?? Seriously?
  • There need to be more events, especially online, which also seems to be a "W.I.P."
  • The used lot is way too small.
  • The prize payouts are too small, considering prize cars are only given once.
  • Graphics are sketchy sometimes, such as shadows and pixellation around rain. But this is likely due to the game engine being forced to support 3D, and incorporated daytime transitions. Note that shadows aren't bad on all tracks.
Other than this, GT5 is just incredible. Here's hoping it stays that way. ;)

As for installing, half the console games I've played over the past year have had installs too. Metal Gear Solid 4, Devil May Cry 4, and Forza 3. I think Resident Evil 5 did too. I didn't cry even when MGS4 took 40 minutes.

After installing the game, the loading is not that long at all. And besides, sitting in front of your TV while the game installs is your own fault. I know I did other things when the game installed. That is not bad first impression, that one is entirely on you.
So, basically, any problems anyone has with the game don't exist because you don't say so.

In line with that, every game I bought on steam took a couple of hours to download and install, talk about bad impression... Please, those are lame points.
That you seriously think the two situations are remotely comparable is absurd enough on its own.

Like, there are no brake upgrades?? Seriously?
Not actually something that needs to be fixed.

As for installing, half the console games I've played over the past year have had installs too. Metal Gear Solid 4, Devil May Cry 4, and Forza 3. I think Resident Evil 5 did too. I didn't cry even when MGS4 took 40 minutes.
Doesn't mean it isn't a problem.

Last edited:
Yea, they didn't really focus on the bad. They are more like me, driving the game is fantastic, but it just falls short in areas you expected to be great. While disappointing in many aspects and features, it's car none the best simulation racing game on any console.

I love how people were whining about gametrailers and how they and their reviewer sucked and their reviews weren't worth anything when that first 1 hour live play went up... now that GT rates it 9.0 I am wondering if people still think they suck and are unreliable...

I love how people were whining about gametrailers and how they and their reviewer sucked and their reviews weren't worth anything when that first 1 hour live play went up... now that GT rates it 9.0 I am wondering if people still think they suck and are unreliable...

I think that was GameSpot.

I think that was GameSpot.

Gamespot has sucked a long long time as does ign, lest form spending years on IGN and on GS enuf to know the review scandals that have come out on occasion for both sites, and the clear fluffing of some reviews and the downplay of others depending on what platform the game is on.

I know little or nothing about GT since i rarely have been on that site at all. Glad they liked the game, and they did talk quite about about the issues the game has, but end of the day the game is about the driving period so that is what they focused on.

Well personally, I always watch their reviews. I find they are very consistent to rating a game near its average. They don't rate a game a 9.5 or something crazy when it gets a Meta of 73 (or so).. Also, they don't drag on about the flaws, and I like that. Most review sites focus on it when there is so many good things that are overlooked. I like a reviewing site that I think "gets" the project. I don't get this with IGN in all honesty. Last time they got me to say I totally agree is when they gave MGS4 a 10 (of 10). Most reviewing sites are idiots. They can review a game like God of War 3 which is the most hardware intense game on a console, this is FACT. But for graphics section, you give it a 9 or something, and COD has a better or same score as it. Just saying, you need to know what you're reviewing and if you don't. Ignore that aspect fully.

I usually agree with Gametrailer's reviews, but I must admit I was shocked how fair their GT5 review was. I personally was expecting them to slam GT5's flaws, but I was pleasantly surprised to find it very much resonated with my opinion.

gametrailers have one guy who does the car games. He's not a hardcore sim head but he enjoys the driving games and uses a decent wheel setup. Nobody else likes driving games over there so the guy Bloodworth got the job.

Most reviewing sites are idiots. They can review a game like God of War 3 which is the most hardware intense game on a console, this is FACT. But for graphics section, you give it a 9 or something, and COD has a better or same score as it. Just saying, you need to know what you're reviewing and if you don't. Ignore that aspect fully.
VERY bloody true. Most sites do get most things right, or else they wouldn't get the time of day from advertisers. But face it, every site also has boneheaded reviews from "journalists" who have no business being given certain games, or in some cases, reviewer jobs at all. I might check out GT's review of... GT ;) sometime to see what the noise is about, but that's all. The only review of GT5 that matters is mine, and I'm still writing it.

Time to get back to writing.

Reviews on the Run, a video game review show filmed here in BC Canada just reviewed it and one guy gave it 4/10 the other 8/10

Edit:
Don't know if anyone posted it yet but the Gamespot review is up on there site now. They gave GT5 8/10

The Good
Accessible and rewarding for newcomers and veterans alike
Uncompromisingly realistic handling
Loads of great cars to drive and varied courses to drive them on
License tests are no longer mandatory
Premium cars are incredibly detailed.

The Bad
Quality of visuals is wildly inconsistent
Outdated and impractical online lobby system
Too easy to win early races simply by entering in a powerful car.

Last edited:
The metascore has gone down from 87 to 84. :S And given all the well-documented flaws, and the amount of complaining I've seen about the grinding in GT mode that's probably what it deserves. Its a real shame for PD and Sony. A real shame. Personally I'm happy with it so far, I'd give it an 8.5/10. But I'm not looking forward to the grinding.

Only when you take a picture of them in photomode. But when you see poorly detailed cockpits and steps of shadows crawling across the dashboard, it's a totally different story and it instantly kills the immersion.

GT5 is one proper patch away from perfection,but still this by far the best racing game I have ever had but probably because us gtpers are GT addicts and know the game inside out.

i think the only reason any review would rate this game below 8 are biased and comparing bits and pieces in a combination on what has been seen previously, what is possible, and the expectation of it.

Overall i think GT5 is a mess and if i were to rate it i would probably do the same mistake of rating it below par. To me its about the overall experience and it fails miserable, everything but the racing bit is downright frustrating to me. It still holds the old scheme, models are mixed in old and new, theres no oversight over everything, theres too much and no balance, no true adjustements and personalisation on what matters. No getting to know, love, and beloved by the cars. But still, the gameplay blows everything out of the water, but its built around an arcade style collecting system which makes it overall "childish" to me. Probably something with the consoles limitations and PD playing it safe and just upgrading the title with extras.

Still think the consoles are childish compared to some realisations that has been done on the pc. Consoles are basically just games around a controller. And seeing GT5 as that, it deserves nothing but a 10 out of 10 for being a game. A simulation as it goes by no, and that is maybe its biggest flaw. Its just gran turismo on the playstation and if you look at it like that then all the extras that they brought up from theire previous titles then thats just a + and more fun in return for you. For the rest of us, im not so sure.

Reviews on the Run, a video game review show filmed here in BC Canada just reviewed it and one guy gave it 4/10 the other 8/10

Edit:
Don't know if anyone posted it yet but the Gamespot review is up on there site now. They gave GT5 8/10

The Good
Accessible and rewarding for newcomers and veterans alike
Uncompromisingly realistic handling
Loads of great cars to drive and varied courses to drive them on
License tests are no longer mandatory

The Bad
Quality of visuals is wildly inconsistent
Outdated and impractical online lobby system
Too easy to win early races simply by entering in a powerful car.

T don't watch that show, I mean they don't even do it professionally because they give low scores for games of genres that they don't even like.

Back