GT5 Sound Thread

• Thread starter Marry_Me_GT
  • 5,638 comments
I have to agree here that GT5 sounds are pretty horrid to say the least, especially when upgraded exhausts are applied. In stock form, the premiums aren't that bad to be honest but still lack ferocity,raw, unadulterated tones.
The turbo spools can also benefit from a makeover and so can the BOV's. We've had the same spool and BOV for ages now. PD can learn a lot from EA's NFS in that department.
The shifting of gears is also pretty lame with no effects to speak of. Again, EA's NFS should be consulted. Gear whine is pretty good, so no complaints about that.
Now, comparing Forza vs GT sounds is a no win situation for GT. Forza wins in all departments hands down. Sure, it isn't perfect but at least V8's sound like V8's should. Anyone stating otherwise needs a hearing check or is straight out in denial.

I have to agree here that GT5 sounds are pretty horrid to say the least, especially when upgraded exhausts are applied. In stock form, the premiums aren't that bad to be honest but still lack ferocity,raw, unadulterated tones.
The turbo spools can also benefit from a makeover and so can the BOV's. We've had the same spool and BOV for ages now. PD can learn a lot from EA's NFS in that department.
The shifting of gears is also pretty lame with no effects to speak of. Again, EA's NFS should be consulted. Gear whine is pretty good, so no complaints about that.
Now, comparing Forza vs GT sounds is a no win situation for GT. Forza wins in all departments hands down. Sure, it isn't perfect but at least V8's sound like V8's should. Anyone stating otherwise needs a hearing check or is straight out in denial.

except if you watch Forza 3 in replay. Talk about un-inspiring.

Hahahha you must be joking, if theres one thing in GT5 that is great its the sound, the improvement from prologue is amazing, its making me want to use the chase came for the first time since gt2 -.-.

Hahahha you must be joking, if theres one thing in GT5 that is great its the sound, the improvement from prologue is amazing, its making me want to use the chase came for the first time since gt2 -.-.
Trust me, you are in the minority.
I have to admit that in chase cam, the sounds are better portrayed but who plays in that view especially with a wheel?
I would've loved it if those chase cam sounds were integrated with the cockpit or bumper views somehow. At least then it would've been a little more acceptable.
For me, excellent sound samples and effects are more important than graphics.
Honestly, give me Pole Position graphics but awesome sound effects, i'll be in sound byte heaven!
Trust me, I wish that PD would've nailed the audio aspect of the game, I really do. But as it stands now,they have failed.

The sounds are rubbish in 90% of the cars and thats only from driving premiums! s2000 is the worst so far! sounds like a skyline!

Don't put the titanium exhaust on only the sport will keep the true exhaust sound.

Sound on 2011 sti 2.5l boxer was very bad. It sounded like 1.6l inline 4. Some cars are ok, some good and some like the impreza very bad.

Sounds great so me but I do have a 7.1 home surround with on board real time audio tuning so maybe if it weren't for that it may be bad.

Sounds great so me but I do have a 7.1 home surround with on board real time audio tuning so maybe if it weren't for that it may be bad.

That just means you have a good sound system, It doesn't magically turn fake engine sounds into the real thing...unfortunately.

Has anyone else experienced severe loss of engine sound while driving fast in cockpit mode? It's like you can't even hear the engine. This happens to me, even in cars like the Zonda F.
I have tried changing some of the options but none of them has worked yet.

Please help me, it is really not a good driving experience when you can't even hear the engines roar! :D

Last edited:
I guess I dont get it. It seems like they put too much time getting the game to look good and try to put too many cars in it. Every GT game has had less than great sounds and they even seem to inprove a bunch.

I only playd fro a very short time last night so for me the jury is still out. Heres what I noticed though.

Frsit off I tryed the Jeff Gordon car expecting so good loud V8 rumble. Wow I can believe how terrible those cars all sounds, I dont even know how to explain it.

Next was the F40, IVe never hear one so I guess I cant really say, but I dont know about that one either.

Next was the Camaro SS, that was definitly acceptable. Sounded like a V8, was kinda weird at high revs. I hoping that a change of exhaust wakes these cars up.

What I found troubling though was in that race there were some of the classic cars and in the replay they sounded terrible.

Seriously though when do we say enough is enough and refuse to keep buying the game until the make the proper improvements. I guess as long as they havent messed with my GT40.

I'll tell you this. I took an F40 and did a few laps at the 'dynamic' Circuit De La Sarthe. That is an experience Forza cannot begin to provide. The amazing visuals, the driving, and the sound on the F40 is spot on. It might not be for every car, but the F40 nails it. Then you watch the replay, and it looks like real life.

Tell me why my 04Z06 sounds like a 350z after doing race exhaust.. and stage 2 engine kit... im quite disappointed so far.. Forza may lack some pretty details but atleast they know how a v8 should sound when its pepped up

Right, says the MOD who is basically here to defend GT5 like all teh other fan boys. Come on dude, be honest, Is GT5 sounds better than forza 3's?
Better yet, when your misuses is in teh next room and turns on the dyson, don't u wonder why she's playing GT5...cos i do!

GT% sounds are terrible and have always been, nothing like th real cars.
Forza has more grunt and sounds more like a car!

Jesus, u lot do my head in with all the defending of GT5!

First off, I am not here to defend anything. I was one of the loudest voices in condemning GT4's sounds. I think, overall, the sounds are vastly improved from GT4. Yet with over 1000 vehicles, some have to suffer. There's no way around that. There are only so many resources. This tends to be why PD's sounds aren't up to everyone's standards.

However, the sounds are far from perfect in Forza 3, and after checking, they did in fact update the game with better sounds. It's just been so long since I've played Forza 3 (the physics just leave me cold, horrible floaty arcade like physics) that I have not been privy to this. I will pop in Forza 3 today, and see if/how they have improved. By the comments, thus far, it seems they have.

Secondly, drop the text speak. You agreed to write in proper English with proper punctuation when you signed up for this site. This is not a suggestion. many users on this site do not speak English as their first language, and posts like yours can be more than a little confusing.

except if you watch Forza 3 in replay. Talk about un-inspiring.

Absolutely. It's the exact same noise as cockpit view, with slightly altered volume levels, and very little to no Doppler Effect to speak of.

;)

Has anyone else experienced severe loss of engine sound while driving fast in cockpit mode? It's like you can't even hear the engine. This happens to me, even in cars like the Zonda F.
I have tried changing some of the options but none of them has worked yet.

Please help me, it is really not a good driving experience when you can't even hear the engines roar!

Same issue for me, when I'm on any cam except the chase cam, it's like being in a sound proof room. :( What the...

"Yet with over 1000 vehicles, some have to suffer. There's no way around that. There are only so many resources. This tends to be why PD's sounds aren't up to everyone's standards."

5+ bloody years, they should be a little better. Truth be told, I'm liking the game...but the two tear car system, the iffy sound and some tatty graphics...not quite what I was expecting. That said, the handling is pretty great, up there with Forza. The '89 supra especially is a blast. Also, the loading times....ARGGGGG! How can a menu take so long to load?

Forzas sound aint perfect either, but that didn't take 5 years to make!

Last edited:
Tell me why my 04Z06 sounds like a 350z after doing race exhaust.. and stage 2 engine kit... im quite disappointed so far.. Forza may lack some pretty details but atleast they know how a v8 should sound when its pepped up

I know what you mean its horrible. Id rather it sound stock than after doing all that than make it sound like a 6 cylinder. Not that anything is wrong with a 6, but when you are driving a Camaro SS it should not sound like a 350z.

On the other hand, most of the cars I have had a chance to drive so far sound pretty good, but there is room for improvement.

Same issue for me, when I'm on any cam except the chase cam, it's like being in a sound proof room. :( What the...

"Yet with over 1000 vehicles, some have to suffer. There's no way around that. There are only so many resources. This tends to be why PD's sounds aren't up to everyone's standards."

5+ bloody years, they should be a little better. Truth be told, I'm liking the game...but the two tear car system, the iffy sound and some tatty graphics...not quite what I was expecting. That said, the handling is pretty great, up there with Forza. The '89 supra especially is a blast. Also, the loading times....ARGGGGG! How can a menu take so long to load?

Forzas sound aint perfect either, but that didn't take 5 years to make!

I had the same problem but fixed it now. I have a 5.1 surround system and it was set to AF.D Multi. I simply changed it to Pro Logic and the sound is now much better, i can actually hear the engine. As for the long loading times, it's only temporary because of server overload (your connected to the servers even in single player)

Judging on videos, the sounds are definitely ahead of past Gran Turismo titles by leaps and bounds. I love the sound of the Citroen C4 WRC rally car. It sounds like... a rally car. Great roar of the engine along with some of the other rally cars. I have also praised the NASCAR stock cars and their sounds. I am just going on sounds I've heard in videos posted online (YouTube, for the most part). I'd say they are pretty good.

Sound on 2011 sti 2.5l boxer was very bad. It sounded like 1.6l inline 4. Some cars are ok, some good and some like the impreza very bad.

That's how it sounds in real life :)

The new Subies don't sound like the old ones.
See how the 22B sounds. The GT4 version had the flat 4 uneven length header throb in it

PD used the same old sound engine which delivers great doppler sound effects (lacks in Forza). But its shamefull that PD didn't manage to deliver genuine engine sounds that match their visual counter parts. Their technology/knowhow is simply not competent enough to do so. They could learn a lot from an oldy like need for speed underground 2 (more than serious engine sounds, IMO ;)
watch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdYZEAhPhVQ

For me, I lost all hope for proper (especially V8) engine sounds. Maybe they gonna throw some updates, but there are also some nasty visual gliches that need immediate attention, so I ain't gonna see it happen. Never the less keep up the good work PD. It can only get better.

I like how when you put a full exhaust it sounds so much better. my Type R actually sounds like a honda lol. i dont like the fact that everything sounds muffled though. i feel like i can only hear the sound in front of me instead of around me

Now after I've played the game for some time (lvl 14) I can finally say:"Here's the game and it sounds awful". Enough with the old build crap-there it is and it's hideous. I upgraded my corvette with new exhaust, intake, headers and so on and now it sounds just like a 4 cylinder.WTF?! SL63 AMG sounds just like a vacuum cleaner. Baaad, KY, baaad.

I like how when you put a full exhaust it sounds so much better. my Type R actually sounds like a honda lol. i dont like the fact that everything sounds muffled though. i feel like i can only hear the sound in front of me instead of around me

Check the Sound or Audio options in the Main Menu, theres different settings, Home Small Theather and LArge theatre. you probably need Home or Small theatre.

Ferrari F10

SP1

Peugeot 908FAP HDi

Audi R10 TDI

Last edited:
The way the sounds work is weird. They sound perfect till the car gets to 4500rpm.
The 2007 Mustang GT with Race Exhaust burbles nicely at idle. but doesn't roar at high rpm.
--edit--
btw. with the supercharger on the Mustang GT there is no whine.
I want Roush parts. but oh well. can't have everything.

Back