GTP_Registry Discussion Thread (GT5)

• Thread starter EDK
  • 2,672 comments
Just realized, after it taking a lot of attempts to get a nice smooth Gold, that all the aids I had "off" are allowed. Doh. :dunce: :lol:

Just realized, after it taking a lot of attempts to get a nice smooth Gold, that all the aids I had "off" are allowed. Doh. :dunce: :lol:

To be honest, the aids usually slow you down anyway, you'll probably find most people here use all aids off except for ABS on 1. You could try with things like TCS on but if you have a decent time without, you'll probably struggle to beat it with it on.

Looking forward to getting back into WRS with a fresh start.Thankyou to all involved in preparing this for us. 👍 Steven.

Having fun with the qualifier:

NrburgringNordschleife.jpg

NrburgringNordschleife_1.jpg

Last edited:
I have two questions regarding the qualifier:

1) Although the acceptance of registry submissions will only be acceptable after January the 14th, can we submit after that date a time that we have set before? (Example: Sending you a submission I've set in January the 10th)

2) After the 28th, and the 2 weeks hiatus for pruging and reorganizing the levels and divisions can we submit a time afterwards in order to keep out current registry tag if we have failed to submit it before the 28th of January?

Thanks for the clarification.

I have two questions regarding the qualifier:

1) Although the acceptance of registry submissions will only be acceptable after January the 14th, can we submit after that date a time that we have set before? (Example: Sending you a submission I've set in January the 10th)

If you mean for example you have a run qualifier times today and you are happy enough to not run again, or you do not improve those times between now and Jan 14th and submit laps that were run on Jan 10th as you say, then yes that's fine. We are just encouraging people to actually finalise their submission after the 14th, not necessarily do the driving then.

2) After the 28th, and the 2 weeks hiatus for pruging and reorganizing the levels and divisions can we submit a time afterwards in order to keep out current registry tag if we have failed to submit it before the 28th of January?

Thanks for the clarification.

After the Registry is purged and the divisions organised initially, I fully expect the qualifier to be re-opened after that time.

All the best
Maz

Used this tonight and found myself much more consistent through that area - I had been trying to take the entire thing in 3rd gear and that was killing the entry or sometimes flinging me out too early. I'll be interested to see how the fastest guys take this section though.

I think you'll find Dion (Small Fryz) is one of the fastest guys, and his advice is sound 👍

All the best
Maz

Also, our selection of these specific events for the qualifier was done after much deliberation. I can't get into the details, but rest assured that the primary driving factor behind the selection was to ensure a level playing field for all participants, a key factor in keeping the experience a positive one.

Not sure as to what anyone else would think, but I would find this to be a very entertaining read. Knowing what it takes to get a WRS up & running would show that much more appreciation. I applaud you guys in the amount of time you put into a single WRS and without WRS, I would be stuck driving an X2010 or F1 around Daytona :dopey:

I think you'll find Dion (Small Fryz) is one of the fastest guys, and his advice is sound 👍

All the best
Maz

I was not trying to imply that Dion was not fast (honestly, I'm yet to meet anyone from Australia who isn't a speed demon :) ) - I guess the operative word in my sentence was "see" - I'm looking forward to watching the replays because its often hard to convey in words the best way to drive a particular section. Yet another great thing about WRS, you can actually learn a ton by simply watching the replays of your peers.

What is the idea of not posting our times in this opic?
I mean, I have no idea how good or how bad my sectortimes are (based on previous wrs results: bad :dunce: )
I would like to know how am I progressing.

Thanks

I mean, I have no idea how good or how bad my sectortimes are (based on previous wrs results: bad :dunce: )

Thanks

The idea is that competitors and participants will put in as much time and effort into the qualifier as they would on a given week for WRS and push themselves based on where they can see improvements in their own driving. The end result will place you in a division appropriate to your input in terms of time and persistance as well as ability.

Knowing the cutoffs for a certain division or the times of fellow competitors can result in members either trying desperately hard for 4 weeks to get into say Division 1 and then find themselves soundly beaten on a weekly basis, or conversely aiming low and not putting in as much effort as we would appreciate, therefore soundly beating their peers weekly because they didn't push themselves enough in the quali.

During the WRS proper, on most weeks competitors never post their final times either. We just share split times and the results are only published at the end of a week's running. This keeps things interesting and helps keep participants motivated. The qualifier follows this format to some degree.

All the best
Maz

I was not trying to imply that Dion was not fast (honestly, I'm yet to meet anyone from Australia who isn't a speed demon :) ) - I guess the operative word in my sentence was "see" - I'm looking forward to watching the replays because its often hard to convey in words the best way to drive a particular section. Yet another great thing about WRS, you can actually learn a ton by simply watching the replays of your peers.
I'm glad you found more consistency from my post 👍. Unfortantely the whole sector is full of difficuilt corner combinations which require you to drive the car like a chess game "always thinking a few corners ahead" :lol:

It would be good to see a few replays, but I don't think it's possible to share even after the deadline :indiff:.
Once week one starts it will be back to normal. I also find watching replays to be helpful as I always manage to find a few tips that I missed :cheers:.

I mean, I have no idea how good or how bad my sectortimes are (based on
previous wrs results: bad :dunce: )
Thanks
The game does give you a rough idea of what is a "nice" time. I guess the aim is to see how much you can improve on it.

A good tip I found useful is picking a few easily recognizable marks per sector and checking your time at those spots. It acts as "split" times and helps gauge your pace and how much more you can improve. 👍

Last edited:
Good advice about that carousel, Dion 👍 I found myself doing just that and anytime I try to brake late(r) I find myself going wide out of the carousel. I could still have a clean exit, but I know thats a couple tenths :ouch:

Jerome

Not posting laptimes is a sacred activity and obsession within WRS since its birth early 2003. Sometimes we have multilap combos where we can post a laptime and that always feels like a sin. If you like to join the race village that we call WRS then better ask yourself if you can live with that and if not, better find yourself another place to live your race life in :D

I'm no expert but I will try to help :lol:

(snippy)

Anyway Hopefully that helps :lol:.

If anybody actually found that helpful I would be willing to offer my 2 cents on other sections as well 👍

can i have free money please? :)

when i was at the ring, the ring instructor told me about this, cant remember his exact words as it was 6 months ago, the main jist of it though, brake slightly late and off the brakes at the apex flat out on exit and try to cut the corner in the straight line across clipiping the kerb on the exit, he told me that his exit point when he uses the karussel in real life is the third three from the end (dont know how well Pd modeled this in the game) and it seemed to work for me. Watch the back end on the exit so either take it in 3rd or watch it in 2nd if needbe hold off ever so slightly to get the rear straight before appying the power i havent driven it yet so dont know how squirmy it is under power.
i think with this qualifier accuracy and consistancy is going to be a factor much more than all out, banzai balls to the wall style full throttle lap times, learning the track is key too, ive done 37 laps of the ring and the amount you pick up yourself (bumps places of bottoming, slippery paint on braking and accerleration) just by driving it is mental it becomes second nature after a few laps, for me personally anyway. im looking forward to having a few hours on this tomorrow night.

anybody really struggling?

anybody really struggling?

I am.

Struggling with not doing the qualifier. I've decided that I want to put just as much effort into it as I would in a normal WRS week and if I start now I will actually probably do more runs than what is good for me. It's hard to stay away and I actually was unable to keep myself from a short stint in the second sector the other day. I still probably have at least one second left in it, maybe even close to two in that sector alone.

It states sandbagging is very much frowned upon, and it's clear to me why.

But I have a small moral dilemma - the 'Ring is very much a strong circuit for me (especially compared to others, I still don't know Cape Ring for example). I've been able to set good times (relatively speaking) from the off - e.g. I managed gold for one sector in the AMG Advanced in my first ever attempt, and very nearly got gold for the full lap on the first time out. I am worried that I will qualify ahead of where my true (lack of) ability should place me - generally in the WRS I would expect to not be quite so competitive. In GT5P I got on well in the qualifier too, and excepting the two occasions I lucked into a podium due to lack of entrants, I languished well and truely at the bottom of Div 3. Although most of the time I was quicker than most of Div 4, so I guess it wasn't too far wrong.

I'd rather not end up stuck at the bottom of a division with no chance of progressing. But equally I don't want to hold back (sandbagging) in case I mis-judge it and upset others in a lower division by being too quick.

Some thoughts on the best approach would be most welcome!

Very happy that WRS is back and the registry is very interesting indeed. Good Luck to everyone!!

I have a question that isn't directly related to the qualifier, but the upcoming series as a whole. Tire wear and fuel consumption are now automatically enabled on both freerun and arcade time trial mode, and there doesn't seem to be a way to turn them off. Has this changed for everyone, or am I missing a setting somewhere?

Hello Guys,

just registered myself and made up a new psn account.
GTP_MRG.
Actually it will be the 3rd time i have to start GT5 all over again. First time my old ps3 fried spoiling cola into it ( lost all gold licenses ) , 2nd with my non GTP account ( now lvl 24% ) and now i have to start all over again for the WRS :).....I should have by now enough laps under my belt to get a decent time. Great tip btw about the nascar seasonal event!!

Surely my GPL ( and the nurburgring ) and other sim racing expirience will help but the fun thing is actually that GT5 is a totally different game. However i have no idea how well i will fare here! I always hoped for a decent multiplayer mode in a league with the GT series and finally found one! I am happy :).
Very fresh approach if you are used with pc simulators.

btw...if you gift someone a car is it actually gone then from your motheraccount or will it make a copy? I have no idea cause i have never tried that.
Another question which puzzles me is if the abs option set to off is faster compared with on. With my G25 they constantly lock and it is hard to find the proper braking zone with it.
I have heard if you press down your brake pedal to 50% during game startup it wil memorize the position and locking up doesnt ocur that often. Anyone tried that so far?

Anyway looking forward to race you guys! If you want to add me... go ahead!

Cu on track!

cheers

It states sandbagging is very much frowned upon, and it's clear to me why.

But I have a small moral dilemma - the 'Ring is very much a strong circuit for me (especially compared to others, I still don't know Cape Ring for example). I've been able to set good times (relatively speaking) from the off - e.g. I managed gold for one sector in the AMG Advanced in my first ever attempt, and very nearly got gold for the full lap on the first time out. I am worried that I will qualify ahead of where my true (lack of) ability should place me - generally in the WRS I would expect to not be quite so competitive. In GT5P I got on well in the qualifier too, and excepting the two occasions I lucked into a podium due to lack of entrants, I languished well and truely at the bottom of Div 3. Although most of the time I was quicker than most of Div 4, so I guess it wasn't too far wrong.

I'd rather not end up stuck at the bottom of a division with no chance of progressing. But equally I don't want to hold back (sandbagging) in case I mis-judge it and upset others in a lower division by being too quick.

I can understand your concern, but all I can say is you can rest assured everyone will be putting in their best efforts and I say you should too. Go for your limit, or at least as many hours as you would normally have time to do a WRS event in a week (i.e. 8 hours, 10 hours, etc.).

Hello Guys,

just registered myself and made up a new psn account.
GTP_MRG.
Actually it will be the 3rd time i have to start GT5 all over again. First time my old ps3 fried spoiling cola into it ( lost all gold licenses ) , 2nd with my non GTP account ( now lvl 24% ) and now i have to start all over again for the WRS :).....I should have by now enough laps under my belt to get a decent time. Great tip btw about the nascar seasonal event!!

Surely my GPL ( and the nurburgring ) and other sim racing expirience will help but the fun thing is actually that GT5 is a totally different game. However i have no idea how well i will fare here! I always hoped for a decent multiplayer mode in a league with the GT series and finally found one! I am happy :).
Very fresh approach if you are used with pc simulators.

btw...if you gift someone a car is it actually gone then from your motheraccount or will it make a copy? I have no idea cause i have never tried that.
Another question which puzzles me is if the abs option set to off is faster compared with on. With my G25 they constantly lock and it is hard to find the proper braking zone with it.
I have heard if you press down your brake pedal to 50% during game startup it wil memorize the position and locking up doesnt ocur that often. Anyone tried that so far?

Anyway looking forward to race you guys! If you want to add me... go ahead!

Cu on track!

cheers

Our WRS events will be run in offline mode, fyi. But thats not to say someone can't make a private lounge or public room for that weeks event to practice. If you gift a car to someone or another account it will disappear from the account you sent it from. As for the G25 pedals, I use them on my DFGT, but never had any luck with the ABS off, even with just trying to feather the brake, the car either doesn't get slow enough or the brakes lock. I never heard of depressing the brake when you plug the wheel in, but I kind of doubt it would work.

Jerome

Last edited:

+1 on you should go for your best time. To be honest the situation you're in is more typical of a WRS week than not. By the end of the week most of us have raced the track so many times that we know every inch of it backwards and it comes down more to general ability and skill level than how much time you put in. I could triple the amount of time I put into a race and I doubt it would improve my position more than a place or two within my division.

On the other side just watch Dan post an unbeatable time less than 15 minutes after the track/car combination is announced. Don't worry about getting stuck either, if you're clearly faster than other people in your division you'll get promoted pronto. If you're struggling to not come last then you can always voluntarily go down a division, but most of us are competitive and would just view that as a challenge to work harder and get faster.

+1 on you should go for your best time. To be honest the situation you're in is more typical of a WRS week than not.

Totally agree.

I like to think I know the Green Hell quite well and after a couple hours I find it is the car that I have to learn and with this one how not to over drive it.

Off topic somewhat but, after watching a replay from the event I had a huge grin on my face. :D
When watching the default replay angle it does look like I know what I'm doing as it looks better than it feels.
Thanks PD for making me look good. 👍

Must I be logged into my account when doing the qualifying? I have a really good time but discovered I wasn't logged in.
thanks
Wayne

Must I be logged into my account when doing the qualifying? I have a really good time but discovered I wasn't logged in.
thanks
Wayne

No, you don't need to be logged in. Just need to save your replays.

Latest Posts

Back