GTP_WRS Pit Box : Want to chat? - Need help? Post here.

• Thread starter Sjaak
  • 2,684 comments
@Turbo Racer 48 I use 7/2. Anything higher than 2 on sensitivity and you'll lose feel of the bumps and rumbles of the tracks. As for the torque,well,that's up to you and your arms. I like stronger FFB.

Thanks @MadMax and @GTP_randy for that.
I'll bring it down to 2 then sensitivity wise - torque will be variable depending on the arms !

Edit - just tested it on Village with the Mustang and definitely some benefit as can feel car better through the banked sweeper and other fast approaches/exits; resulting in a faster lap time yay ! Will be sticking with this setting so thanks again to @MadMax and @GTP_randy. I'll post this information in the other thread(s) that are running on this too including the one @Argon highlighted.

Last edited:
I had a look and couldn't find this answered elsewhere, and I guess the answer is too bad, but what do we do if a best lap is beaten by a dirty faster lap? I would generally just brake before the line, but in this case I wasn't sure how close i went. Saving best lap will only save my dirty lap?

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1516505774607~2.jpg
    FB_IMG_1516505774607~2.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 21
I had a look and couldn't find this answered elsewhere, and I guess the answer is too bad, but what do we do if a best lap is beaten by a dirty faster lap? I would generally just brake before the line, but in this case I wasn't sure how close i went. Saving best lap will only save my dirty lap?
In case you don't have penalties turned on, then yes, the dirty faster lap is what will be saved. For this reason i do not turn penalties off, as it would give you penalty in this case (i can say cutting penalties and wall tap strict penalties are really legit - which means there is very few spots where OLR rules about track boundaries are not compatible with penalty system in game).

That being said, i hope you can beat your best clean lap again, good luck to you.

Tks mate, I'll change the penalty, I did for walls last week but not shortcuts, will do now! I didn’t think the games track description was as strict as true racing after some sport races I had, but another check is worthwhile. The lap I beat wasn’t beating my current best so no harm yet anyway, but I might get another few laps in yet and get a better time!

I had something like this happen to me while running on Friday night. I improved my lap, but when I tried to save the best lap replay, it said it was already saved. The lap that actually got saved was 0.5 seconds slower, from early in my session.

I think what happened was that I turned penalties off partway through my session, and the game decided not to allow me to save dirty laps. Not 100% sure, that's my guess.

In any case, the best thing to do in this scenario is to back out and start a new session.

Penalties on, penalties off, I don't think anything is foolproof.

When sharing replays at the end of the week for the time trials, we could gain some free advertising for the WRS if we had a simple url to put in the description. I tried gtplanet.net/wrs but if you type this into the address bar of your browser, you get an article about the very first WRS event from 2011 (which is kinda cool). But it would be swell if it linked to a front page for the WRS (maybe the registration thread). Just a thought that may be worth considering.

In regards to the unfortunate issues surrounding replays, is there critical information that the "best lap" replay provides that the "full" replay does not? As far as I know, the full replay isn't plagued by the same start point/time display issues. Maybe the full replay could be used as a backup of sorts to resolve instances where the best lap replay doesn't show the final time. Just sucks seeing so many posts of people having to bin laps due to a bug after putting in a ton of effort, even when going well beyond the finish lane after completing the lap.

To be clear, I realize this would potentially place an additional load on the replay verification process and take this as a perfectly legitimate argument for not implementing such a strategy - just spitballing here...

In regards to the unfortunate issues surrounding replays, is there critical information that the "best lap" replay provides that the "full" replay does not? As far as I know, the full replay isn't plagued by the same start point/time display issues. Maybe the full replay could be used as a backup of sorts to resolve instances where the best lap replay doesn't show the final time. Just sucks seeing so many posts of people having to bin laps due to a bug after putting in a ton of effort, even when going well beyond the finish lane after completing the lap.

To be clear, I realize this would potentially place an additional load on the replay verification process and take this as a perfectly legitimate argument for not implementing such a strategy - just spitballing here...

Has any research been done towards determining why the replay gets cut short? Just wondering if it is caused because the player exits track soon after crossing finish line. Maybe the first sector of the next lap needs to be run for the best lap replay to be complete. The first sector thing is something hosts occasionally need to do in snail to insure proper grid order.

Has any research been done towards determining why the replay gets cut short? Just wondering if it is caused because the player exits track soon after crossing finish line. Maybe the first sector of the next lap needs to be run for the best lap replay to be complete. The first sector thing is something hosts occasionally need to do in snail to insure proper grid order.

I think it's a bit random. I never had the problem until the latest week (8) in the Vette, I ran a full lap and a half after crossing the line but the replay still cuts out a fraction of a second after the final time appears. I'm not sure if that's because it's a short track or what but it's incredibly frustrating.

When viewing a full replay, can you skip laps (like chapters on a DVD), if so, this may help.

Yeah, I don't think anyone's come up with a reproducible test case as of yet. Exiting immediately after crossing the finish line seems to have some effect but there are plenty of cases like Dgiant's where something else must have caused it. Anecdotally, I think it may have something to do with the lap being part of a larger set of continuous laps - I haven't yet been hit by the bug and I usually just restart the session when I go off track or blow a turn. Of course, it could just as well be completely random and I've gotten lucky so far...

Yeah, I don't think anyone's come up with a reproducible test case as of yet. Exiting immediately after crossing the finish line seems to have some effect but there are plenty of cases like Dgiant's where something else must have caused it. Anecdotally, I think it may have something to do with the lap being part of a larger set of continuous laps - I haven't yet been hit by the bug and I usually just restart the session when I go off track or blow a turn. Of course, it could just as well be completely random and I've gotten lucky so far...

Not sure if a previous bad lap would cause this, At Bathurst i only was getting 3 clean laps for every 20 I ran, and never had consecutive good laps, but replays always worked fine for me.

On my best lap this week it did not show the time the first time I watched it, but I also had paused it to check some things out. I restarted it and it worked fine, tried it 2 other times and it was good, Not sure if this has anything to do with anything but any information may help figure out what the cause is.

It's a good suggestion that we may want to consider but for now I personally would rather we didn't go down that route as the prospect of wading through a long session replay with the woeful tools PD has given us isn't a great prospect. I also realise that the burden will mainly fall to our helpful community but I suspect they too might be put off if there were the prospect of spending an elongated period checking one replay.

I'm fairly sure that with some extra diligence in how we conduct ourselves on the run up to the start of a lap and the cool down after completing a lap is a better option at least until we are sure that it genuinely is a totally random error, which I doubt.

I think it's a bit random. I never had the problem until the latest week (8) in the Vette, I ran a full lap and a half after crossing the line but the replay still cuts out a fraction of a second after the final time appears. I'm not sure if that's because it's a short track or what but it's incredibly frustrating.

When viewing a full replay, can you skip laps (like chapters on a DVD), if so, this may help.

The Myabi one I am almost 100% convinced is caused because the following lap was considered dirty by the game and when this happen it effectively ignores the lap. This also shows up where the start of the lap begins right on the start line because the run up may have been considered dirty. Of course if penalties were turned on and this still happened then this makes a mockery of my theory but I am fairly sure at least one of my discarded replays was through a dirty run up. I made sure that I completed a perfectly clean lap after each fast one and I never had the premature end issue.

My 2 top suggestion to everyone to try and minimize the errors are;

1) Never quit as soon as you run a fast lap. Continue for at least one sector and make sure it's a clean sector, if you can go further then do so but make sure your extended run is absolutely clean from the start of the lap until the point of exit. If in doubt run another lap and be legal all the way.

2) Never turn off penalties especially with a track like Myabi where the run up involves a nasty chicane that is so easy to collect a track boundary penalty and not realize because penalties were turned off.

Last edited:
I think you’re on to something there, the laps following my fast laps we’re almost certainly dirty (at least 90% of all laps involved me pirouetting and hitting barriers :lol:) and the ones preceding probably were for the same reason. Definitely worth investigating

Any tips for a guy that bought a g29 and never played with wheels before? :gtpflag:

Config stuff and other tips

Its too hard, almost an exercise to play with it

Last edited:
Any tips for a guy that bought a g29 and never played with wheels before? :gtpflag:

Config stuff and other tips

Its too hard, almost an exercise to play with it

General advice with a wheel....

1) Find an easy car and course and get used to the feel of the turn, brake and accelerator. Pay special attention to how far you need to push a pedal to get half and three quarter. Develop some muscle memory as this will be essential to getting fast lap times

2) Don't get disheartened if at first you appear to be slower with the wheel. Like everything it takes time

3) When getting more familiar change either the car or the track to something a little more difficult never change both as that can set you back

4) Don't try to be Lewis Hamilton within the first hours of sitting behind the wheel, there is no magic to make you super fast and the effort you put into learning to use the wheel properly now will pay dividends later.

5) Set yourself a ghost using your DS4 that sometime helps to give you something to aim for

For settings there are lots of threads in the Sim Racing Hardware forum and I found one that may be useful > here <

I can't help as I'm a Thrustmaster T500RS guy but good luck and I hope you enjoy the experience with a wheel as much as I do :cheers:

General advice with a wheel....

1) Find an easy car and course and get used to the feel of the turn, brake and accelerator. Pay special attention to how far you need to push a pedal to get half and three quarter. Develop some muscle memory as this will be essential to getting fast lap times

2) Don't get disheartened if at first you appear to be slower with the wheel. Like everything it takes time

3) When getting more familiar change either the car or the track to something a little more difficult never change both as that can set you back

4) Don't try to be Lewis Hamilton within the first hours of sitting behind the wheel, there is no magic to make you super fast and the effort you put into learning to use the wheel properly now will pay dividends later.

5) Set yourself a ghost using your DS4 that sometime helps to give you something to aim for

For settings there are lots of threads in the Sim Racing Hardware forum and I found one that may be useful > here <

I can't help as I'm a Thrustmaster T500RS guy but good luck and I hope you enjoy the experience with a wheel as much as I do :cheers:

I became a 100% wheeler (as good/better than controller) after a quick 6 years :lol: :ouch:

Jerome

Its very hard, omg... Twsted and using madmax's 2 and 2 configs

Today improved my time in the first 40 driving school missions, but...

When I tried to make a lap at currently daily C (gr3 brand hatch), I was 3 seconds slower than my ds4 time ,as I am slower everywhere else but the driving school.

Feels bad, I usually learn everything pretty fast, and already two days struggling ...

Its very hard, omg... Twsted and using madmax's 2 and 2 configs

Today improved my time in the first 40 driving school missions, but...

When I tried to make a lap at currently daily C (gr3 brand hatch), I was 3 seconds slower than my ds4 time ,as I am slower everywhere else but the driving school.

Feels bad, I usually learn everything pretty fast, and already two days struggling ...

Patience, you'll get it but try to be focused about what you are learning in each session. Pick an oval and use that to learn how to feather throttle. Use Brands hatch indy for trail braking....and so on. It'll come I guarantee it 👍

Are any of you competing in any of the various user created championships/leagues in GTS, that you can recommend?

I'm not sure what I'm looking for, but perhaps a race a week, same car (GT4 or GT3), tuning allowed (even though I'm not good at it), and races that are ~60min, and EU time friendly. Perhaps even endurance races.

I guess I have the time to look into the various threads, but it all seems very overwelming, so hoping for a bit of guidance if any have some insight and recommendations.

Back In the GT5 days I was racing in the WSGTC Super GT 500 (think it was hosted by @Denilson) - can't find the threads for the seasons I raced, but the series probably don't exist anymore anyway.

I'm trying my luck at Furinkazen's ToCA league. We'll see how that goes, other than that I don't have time to do anything else, sadly :(

Are any of you competing in any of the various user created championships/leagues in GTS, that you can recommend?

I'm not sure what I'm looking for, but perhaps a race a week, same car (GT4 or GT3), tuning allowed (even though I'm not good at it), and races that are ~60min, and EU time friendly. Perhaps even endurance races.

I guess I have the time to look into the various threads, but it all seems very overwelming, so hoping for a bit of guidance if any have some insight and recommendations.

Back In the GT5 days I was racing in the WSGTC Super GT 500 (think it was hosted by @Denilson) - can't find the threads for the seasons I raced, but the series probably don't exist anymore anyway.

I would recommend you take a look at the changes that @Nail is proposing to his weekly organised race event > here < There is a little bit of a delay due to other real-life events but when the races start up again it sounds like it might be close to what you are looking although timing may be a bit pushed.

I would recommend you take a look at the changes that @Nail is proposing to his weekly organised race event > here < There is a little bit of a delay due to other real-life events but when the races start up again it sounds like it might be close to what you are looking although timing may be a bit pushed.

Thanks I'll check it out. I'm in no hurry, so no problem with the delay.

I'm trying my luck at Furinkazen's ToCA league. We'll see how that goes, other than that I don't have time to do anything else, sadly :(

Thanks, I'll check that out aswell :)

Back