Introducing the "Gran Turismo SPORT" Additional Free Update - March 2019

Ok, first of all, disclaimer : trying to make the game fair for people who don't own a shifter is good. Even shifter users like me were asking for this. The solution was very simple : make the paddle / pad users shifts as fast as the H pattern shifters, and let everyone have fun in VR or lobbies with H shifters. Look, that's what even Assetto Corsa on PC, a hardcore super realistic sim, already does with its autoclutch and autoblip options. Never once I felt slower because I didn't have a clutch on my DFGT when I was still using that. They could also had just forced custom transmissions when BoP is turned on, so everyone gets a sequential gearbox. Just like they did in Paris, just like they do for the Sambabus / Fiat 500 daily races.

But NO, why be smart, Polyphony decided to just break the shifters completely and make them work the opposite way manual clutches work in real life.

Now, in the game, with cars like the Skyline R32, you have to lift the throttle more than a full second before you can even touch the pedal. Yes, in game you're grinding your gears and stay locked in neutral when you're PRESSING the clutch pedal. This is not how real life works : you get stuck in neutral when you RELEASE the clutch pedal too early.

So now H shifters are completely unusable in the game. That's going to be great for those who have a Thrustmaster or Fanatec system and threw 100+ $/€/£ in a shifter to have fun, not caring for a time advantage. Now you can't do that, you can't have try to have a more realistic experience in VR, because using a shifter has just become pure frustration.

The worst thing ? You can still downshift like a madman, 3 gears down in half a second and over-revving 6000 rpm over the revlimiter is just fine for the game, even using the clutch. But upshifting ? Don't even dare touching that clutch pedal with 0% throttle if you haven't waited 2 seconds in one of the best sportscar of the 90s - because we didn't have synchronised gearboxes in the 90s, you know.

The joke in that is they released that update the day after the FIA race it mattered for, when they could have just swapped it with another Nations round in stage 1 so that the N300 race would come after the update. The N500 meta will probably be cars that do not have a manual H pattern shifter anyway so that update probably won't change anything in FIA Stage 1.

It's a shame Polyphony can't just think for a couple minutes and just use the simple solution that doesn't actually break things. Also, that gear grinbding sound is just hilariously bad. So yeah, either they just rushed in something they didn't even tested properly (again), or they have no understanding of how cars work and need to stop trying making realistic stuff.

EDIT : here's a video from @khkenni capturing the stupidity of this whole thing.

Last edited:
I hope we will see a different button for DRS in the future. It is a bit dumb that you have to hold the button to activate the DRS.

Did anyone understand when you can activate the DRS? I know that it doesn't work in corners but even on some 300-500m straights it isn't available the whole time.

Tested the P1 GTR.
Each track has certain zones where you can use DRS. But they aren't visibly marked on track.

Ok, first of all, disclaimer : trying to make the game fair for people who don't own a shifter is good. Even shifter users like me were asking for this. The solution was very simple : make the paddle / pad users shifts as fast as the H pattern shifters, and let everyone have fun in VR or lobbies with H shifters. Look, that's what even Assetto Corsa on PC, a hardcore super realistic sim, already does with its autoclutch and autoblip options. Never once I felt slower because I didn't have a clutch on my DFGT when I was still using that. They could also had just forced custom transmissions when BoP is turned on, so everyone gets a sequential gearbox. Just like they did in Paris, just like they do for the Sambabus / Fiat 500 daily races.

But NO, why be smart, Polyphony decided to just break the shifters completely and make them work the opposite way manual clutches work in real life.

Now, in the game, with cars like the Skyline R32, you have to lift the throttle more than a full second before you can even touch the pedal. Yes, in game you're grinding your gears and stay locked in neutral when you're PRESSING the clutch pedal. This is not how real life works : you get stuck in neutral when you RELEASE the clutch pedal too early.

So now H shifters are completely unusable in the game. That's going to be great for those who have a Thrustmaster or Fanatec system and threw 100+ $/€/£ in a shifter to have fun, not caring for a time advantage. Now you can't do that, you can't have try to have a more realistic experience in VR, because using a shifter has just become pure frustration.

The worst thing ? You can still downshift like a madman, 3 gears down in half a second and over-revving 6000 rpm over the revlimiter is just fine for the game, even using the clutch. But upshifting ? Don't even dare touching that clutch pedal with 0% throttle if you haven't waited 2 seconds in one of the best sportscar of the 90s - because we didn't have synchronised gearboxes in the 90s, you know.

The joke in that is they released that update the day after the FIA race it mattered for, when they could have just swapped it with another Nations round in stage 1 so that the N300 race would come after the update. The N500 meta will probably be cars that do not have a manual H pattern shifter anyway so that update probably won't change anything in FIA Stage 1.

It's a shame Polyphony can't just think for a couple minutes and just use the simple solution that doesn't actually break things. Also, that gear grinbding sound is just hilariously bad. So yeah, either they just rushed in something they didn't even tested properly (again), or they have no understanding of how cars work and need to stop trying making realistic stuff.

EDIT : here's a video from @khkenni capturing the stupidity of this whole thing.

I agree that balance was needed. I also agree that this is absolutely ridiculous.

20190328121651.jpg

Welp, not to be a poop, but this update has very little for me.

Cars:

The SF cars seem good and the push to pass is a nice addition to the game, but I'm not so much into formula cars, so, while nice they don't do much for me. This won't be my go to for seat time at all after I complete the events. I get other people enjoying them and good on them, just not my jam. I'll spend some time with them doing the events and see if that changes though I suspect they will remain not my jam.

It's 1,000 lbs heavier than the LP400 so it's more stable. I had no issues with unwanted oversteer.

No, me neither, definitely no oversteer! I know the Lambo is supposedly a better picture than a car and that is very well represented here! It's a pig that doesn't like to brake, fine it's heavy, brake earlier, I get that and did that, but boy does it understeer. I had trouble carrying speed through corners at Interlagos. I will not be choosing this for fun. Even with the brakes at +5 I could not get that sucker to rotate.

The Stratos is decent. There's only so much fun for a N200 car to be had, but it'd be one I'd choose once in a while. I don't know if the sound is accurate or not, a little buzzy to me from the hood view.

Not buying the Ferrari at this point, I do have the credits, but I'm in no rush to spend them on that. Not sure what I will grab.

Events:

They're ok I guess. I like new offline content and happy to see more. Except for the Endurance race at the crap variation of **** Crock. That's going to be a long hour. Not happy to see that. I won't enjoy it, but the completionist in me will make me do it anyway. Maybe I'll wait for the 962 to make it slightly less painful. The other variation has a lovely flow. After I get the win there I won't be doing that one again. Tokyo in the SF car isn't going to be played again after I get the win neither.

Track:

The best things in life are "at no additional cost"
But you can keep them for the birds and bees
Now give me tracks
That's what I want
That's what I want, yeah
That's what I want

So yeah.... yay. The Stratos is the dim highlight here for me. I had blocked off some extra game time to enjoy the update. I'm gonna use that to sit in the sauna after my workout instead.

Did a quick test.
With overtake usage set to default in race settings, the Super Formula has 100 seconds of push to pass.
With the " Overtaking System Usage Time Multiplier" setting, you can increase this to as high as 1000 seconds, or as low as 10 seconds.

So if you're setting up a league or a race, whatever multiplier you choose, multiply it by 100 and that's how many seconds of P2P you will be able to use for the duration of the race.

Last edited:
Because they aren't manually activated.

Really i always thought they did (at least in AC they do)
KERS is available for the LMP1 Cars in pCARS 2 as well. You can use as much or little as you want by holding your assigned KERS button. The meter recharges over time and alot more when you brake as you build up the kinetic energy.
Nope. X2014 at Circuit de la Sarthe still remains as the fastest way to grind credits and XP.
Hmm, even more then Blue Moon Tri Oval on Professional?

My shifter is pretty much useless now.

It was really difficult before the update and now it feels even worse. Using a G29 with the shifter.
It's also good to read where the problem is. I wasn't sure if I released the clutch too early or if the game had a problem because I pressed the clutch too early after acceleration.

Hmm, even more then Blue Moon Tri Oval on Professional?

Yep, 345k in 9-10 min vs 375k in 12, it’s about 34-36k a minute for Sarthe and 31-32k a minute for BMB. However, clean race is significantly more difficult for Sarthe. But, if you’re an imbecile like me who struggles to get clean races on either, Sarthe is the better choice especially when shorting the corners and chicanes. Then it’s 230k in 8.25 min vs 250k in 12 min.

My shifter is pretty much useless now.

I havent had time to test yet. Later. What do you mean useless? Can't you just use it clutchless?

To date, I've only used my Logiech shifter clutchless because the clutch is so poorly implemented in the game.

I switch to Camera Projection (As opposed to surface projection) for placing decals on weirdly-shaped cars, that should help you too.

I'm a day 1 player, really enjoy making liveries even though most of them are quite average :D. I just discovered this a couple of months ago, as well as the "Depth" and "Angle" settings. Oh my, the joy! :D

Yep, 345k in 9-10 min vs 375k in 12, it’s about 34-36k a minute for Sarthe and 31-32k a minute for BMB. However, clean race is significantly more difficult for Sarthe. But, if you’re an imbecile like me who struggles to get clean races on either, Sarthe is the better choice especially when shorting the corners and chicanes. Then it’s 230k in 8.25 min vs 250k in 12 min.
:lol: Thank you. This is good to know :bowdown:.

I have a feeling PD is going to double back on nerfing H-pattern shift users, and instead make paddle shifts equal in speed, which is not ideal but unfortunately must occur for the playing field to be leveled out.
I have a solution,make H-shifters and paddle shifters equal in sport mode to not mess with the BoP but make H-shifter slower in lobby modes and single player

I have a feeling PD is going to double back on nerfing H-pattern shift users, and instead make paddle shifts equal in speed, which is not ideal but unfortunately must occur for the playing field to be leveled out.

I hope they do. Ideal solution would be to make it work like Assetto Corsa when auto blip is disabled but auto clutch is : you still have to release throttle to shift, and blip the throttle to avoid shift lock. But let's be honest this way is never coming to GT Sport.

I think the sound of the Toyota engined Super Formula is wrong, I'd expect them to patch that.

It's like GT5 Prologue all over again. When they first introduced the H-shifter, it was more or less perfect. Then they had to nerf it with the 2nd gear timer and the zero-throttle requirement, because sequential users were significantly slower off the line. Boo hoo.

Cue GT5 proper and the sequential gear changes are actually quicker than the H-shifter and have zero risk of a missed shift; problem solved. Except the timer and zero-throttle checks persisted for H-pattern, for no discernible reason (contrary to "popular" opinion, the problem was never some imagined "digital clutch", it was these checks - fact).

Now, because PD re-implemented painfully slow, physically unrealistic and frankly broken gear changes for sequential controls in Sport (probably because somebody thought it sounds "cooler"), they felt the need to ruin H-pattern further.

All for "parity". Which they never actually achieved at any time, including now.

PD need to add proper manual controls, with clutch, for all input devices and let it be physics-based, perhaps like iRacing (only without its odd "pre-select" situation).

If you can master that input, good on you. Whiners need not apply. Try the filters, keep to your own if it bothers you.

You can still downshift like a madman, 3 gears down in half a second and over-revving 6000 rpm

That's a big complain I have. It should be heavily penalised and simply not be possible. You can win some serious time with it but I refuse to use it like that. Would be nice if the official tournament took this into account and also the abuse of tracklimits. Can't comment on H-shifter...

I was expecting a track, but I guess "additional update" works as an excuse.

GT League seems to be revisiting several older circuits (in GT Sport context) this time around, but the rather enjoyable Mount Panorama is still being ignored in many of these events. It makes no sense. I'm also surprised how the Super Formula event prioritized Tokyo Expressway over Autopolis. I'm sure it will be added later, but it's still one of those mind-boggling decisions only PD can come up with.

The Lamborghini Countach is beautifully done inside out. The Lancia Stratos has noticeable interior tesselation, but the exterior looks just fine. Stratos also provides a nutshell example of how interior shadows can make all dashboard instruments completely invisible in daylight conditions. This has been an issue ever since GT5 Prologue introduced interior models, so the flaw is difficult to accept after all these years. Those are my impressions for now.

Back