Kevin Ward

• Thread starter GTPorsche
  • 610 comments
So five cars, and from what I've heard, the circuit was under yellows, so they weren't travelling at race speeds.

So what the hell was this guy thinking?

Who knows, he was mad and from what other local racers have said about this, doing such things seemed to be the norm.

Yes, five cars managed to avoid Ward and were -by the look of it- going slower than Stewart.

The first 4 cars that passed the driver were going faster than Stewart, I still have this video up even though youtube made the user put it private. The 45 car (blue and white) ahead of Stewart was only going slightly slower, and in the video the camera man seems to pan to the car before going back to Stewart's due to it coming so close to Ward.

Who knows, he was mad and from what other local racers have said about this, doing such things seemed to be the norm.
Well, that sounds like recklessness on the part of Stewart, negligence from the event organisers, and wilful misbehaviour from the driver.

The first 4 cars that passed the driver were going faster than Stewart, I still have this video up even though youtube made the user put it private. The 45 car (blue and white) ahead of Stewart was only going slightly slower, and in the video the camera man seems to pan to the car before going back to Stewart's due to it coming so close to Ward.

I don't have the vid anymore and I really dont want to see it again, so thanks for the clarification.

But we all can safely assume visibility was no issue, right? The other drivers avoided Ward and I think Stewart could have noticed this while approaching the corner (I know nothing about oval racing, I don't know where a driver would focus his view in that situation).

They seized the GoPro onboard from Stewart's car. Charges may be filed within a week.
If Tony had a GoPro camera mounted in his car, than the footage from his point of view will pretty much condemn or exonerate him.

Assuming he had it, and assuming authorities have already reviewed it, one could reasonably conclude that it probably shows the other driver entering the path of Tony's car. If the video showed something more conclusive against Stewart, you would think that they would have at least detained him, if not charged him right then and there.

If there ever is a criminal trial, I would assume that his video would be entered into evidence, which could make it public.

I don't have the vid anymore and I really dont want to see it again, so thanks for the clarification.

But we all can safely assume visibility was no issue, right? The other drivers avoided Ward and I think Stewart could have noticed this while approaching the corner (I know nothing about oval racing, I don't know where a driver would focus his view in that situation).
22872092_BG5.jpg

At night, trying to see a black suited individual. It's gonna be pretty difficult to see him

Sprint Cars have awful side visibility, add to that HANS devices, seats that are just like the ones in most top spec race cars now, and a driver standing on the track wearing a black helmet and firesuit in the middle of the night on a track that isn't being lit by thousands of floodlights.
Forgot to mention the HANS device, it's made to prevent you from moving your head to see, it's gonna make seeing an all black shape at night pretty hard

HANS is meant to prevent neck injuries by limiting the range of movements the head can go through in the event of an accident. Restricting peripheral vision is a side-effect of that.

So who was really at fault? We know that Ward walked in the path of the cars, which is not a very responsible thing to do. Then we see 4 cars pass him without too much problems, but then Stewart clips him and sends him flying. The drift that Stewart gets was probably caused by Ward's body underneath the wheels. My guess is Stewart didn't see him, as mentioned by others, the visibility is poor in these cars.

I think that's something that's up to the police involved in the investigation to decide.

On one side, Ward shouldn't have been as close to cars that were moving around 40mph, and on the other, Stewart should have avoided him.

I don't believe Stewart did it intentionally.

So who was really at fault? We know that Ward walked in the path of the cars, which is not a very responsible thing to do. Then we see 4 cars pass him without too much problems, but then Stewart clips him and sends him flying. The drift that Stewart gets was probably caused by Ward's body underneath the wheels. My guess is Stewart didn't see him, as mentioned by others, the visibility is poor in these cars.

Well yes four cars did pass him as he was pointing, he didn't seem as close as he was to the last two car (45 and Stewart's car) but still close enough to be called dangerous. They passed him and probably weren't expecting him to walk on the track, the fourth car to pass swerves a bit and the fifth car (45) does a clear swerve because he came close to hitting him. This is probably due to the fact that Ward wanted to be right in front of Stewart and then expected to walk off the track afterward (infield). This is the way I see it and I'm not at all positive on the emotions of anyone during these events.

I think that's something that's up to the police involved in the investigation to decide.

On one side, Ward shouldn't have been as close to cars that were moving around 40mph, and on the other, Stewart should have avoided him.

I don't believe Stewart did it intentionally.

Exactly, you'd have to be pretty damn crazy to kill a fellow racing driver like that. I guess it was a mad Ward doing an irresponsible action plus Stewart in a night race in a limited-visibility car not being cautious enough.

My view:

Ward was annoyed, clearly, walked down on track. Not really the best thing to do.

Stewart hit him, there's no denying it. But he would never have done it intentionally, in my view.

A possible scenario is no visibilty/foresight of him walking down, and as a last minute reaction (possibly travelling faster than the others) he chucked it left in avoidance. This then sent the back end out.

All of this is speculation though. As others have said, the police will be the ones to decide.

It's wilful misbehaviour. I don't know what it's called in America, but that's what it's known as down here - the idea that if you know what you are doing is dangerous and you continue to do it, and as a direct result of that you are injured or killed, then other parties are considered less liable (unless it could be proven that Stewart did it intentionally).

If Tony had a GoPro camera mounted in his car, than the footage from his point of view will pretty much condemn or exonerate him.

Assuming he had it, and assuming authorities have already reviewed it, one could reasonably conclude that it probably shows the other driver entering the path of Tony's car. If the video showed something more conclusive against Stewart, you would think that they would have at least detained him, if not charged him right then and there.

If there ever is a criminal trial, I would assume that his video would be entered into evidence, which could make it public.

Oscar Pistorius shot his girlfriend to death and hes walking around in bars having a good time while the trial is going on. Different country I know, but if the police arent ready to charge someone or dont have conclusive evidence at the moment or know the suspect wont run theres no need to detain him just yet.

Disappointed to see so many people on this forum and in comments elsewhere moving towards blaming the victim. If Stewart didnt gun the engine you may have a point. And I dont buy him stepping on the gas to try and avoid him.

Going onto the track happens all the time. Is it smart? No. But its done under caution and the driver who caused the wreck usually drives by slowly and does nothing. Stewart punched the gas?

busch-vs-spencer.jpg

But by flooring the gas, Stewart actually was trying to avoid Ward.

When cars don't have much grip, when you floor it the back end slides out away from the direction you are steering. By flooring it and turning right, Stewart was trying to whip the back end left away from Ward. Unfortunately Stewart could move the car enough to save Kevin, but not for a lack of trying

@Earth, that's your issue though. You claim let's wait and you've settled on what you are sure has happened and then try to save face claiming the prior over and over again. I've seen no one state that it's Ward's fault he was killed, and really I've only seen people say what happened, a guy got out of his car walked on to the track getting close to other cars and was finally struck by one.

Unlike you we see it as this, no blame to anyone until the evidence is given, however I can already see the signs of a conspiracy boiling from you if Stewart gets off free. That is bias, irrational judgement and not conducive to this sort of conversation on a impartial level as others are trying to do.

Last edited:
Disappointed to see so many people on this forum and in comments elsewhere moving towards blaming the victim.
Nobody's moving the blame on him. They're making a correct statement in that walking down a track with moving cars isn't a bright idea.

Last edited:
Oscar Pistorius shot his girlfriend to death and hes walking around in bars having a good time while the trial is going on. Different country I know, but if the police arent ready to charge someone or dont have conclusive evidence at the moment or know the suspect wont run theres no need to detain him just yet.

I seriously doubt that Oscar was wearing a GoPro helmet camera that shows exactly what happened in his bedroom and bathroom on the night in question. If he had been, we would probably already have a verdict in his case.

I caught highlights of it though... Good to see Ambrose win it again, even if it is 4 in a row at The Glen in the series for him. He's the only true "road course ringer" in the series. Will be great to see him and Gordon battle it out today in the Cup race.

I'll be suprised if Stewart ever races again, you know with the possibility of a lawsuit, being charged with manslaughter, sponsors dropping him, etc.

I think it's fairly clear that Stewart was trying to avoid him, just too late. It certainly wasn't a planned murder of Ward, made to look like an accident. And, if Stewart really was totally crazy and wanted to kill Ward, he could've just gone straight at him, instead of swerving like that. So I'm throwing out any chances of Stewart doing that on purpose, he's an experienced driver nevertheless and he certainly has a heart. It's rather a very tragic racing incident which should bring new safety features to Sprint Car racing.

I'll be suprised if Stewart ever races again, you know with the possibility of a lawsuit, being charged with manslaughter, sponsors dropping him, etc.

As of now he's still intending on racing later today at Watkins Glen.

That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if the plan changes, whether it be a self-decision, from NASCAR, sponsors, or something else entirely. Imagine if he goes out there today, after what just happened the night before, and gets into someone else and sends them spinning. Talk about media blowing it up then...

Back