Kevin Ward

• Thread starter GTPorsche
  • 610 comments
Once again he's not 17, but 20 and it's still very young but I think the facts need to be concise. As for the incident after watching it several times now I can see that the drive is struck by the back end of the 14 car and then thrown. It seemed that Stewart tried to swerve and was too late, perhaps he didn't expect the man to come that far down the track and that close. However, as for the revving engine, if you think about it and that he was potentially surprised he may have blipped the gas to hurry and swerve the car out the way.

Now some might say "well why not hit the brakes?" it's a Sprint car on dirt with brakes that aren't that big, if he'd done that he probably would have slid into the guy either way. Even if Tony isn't at fault the thought of a driver death supposedly may push him to leave racing and his hobby.

EDIT: Well @IforceV8 thanks for that info.

He was questioned and released, and no criminal charges yet. Unless NASCAR does something, there's nothing to stop him from racing as of now.

For those that saw the video, it's very well possible that the engine revving that was heard was cars passing by that weren't on the opposite side of the track from the person behind the camera. Also heard the video was removed from youtube, which is a good thing considering it shows a person being killed.

He was questioned and released, and no criminal charges yet. Unless NASCAR does something, there's nothing to stop him from racing as of now.

For those that saw the video, it's very well possible that the engine revving that was heard was cars passing by that weren't on the opposite side of the track from the person behind the camera. Also heard the video was removed from youtube, which is a good thing considering it shows a person being killed.

This makes sense too, considering those cars would be closer to the Camera

If he races tomorrow, I'm not watching.
As a kid growing up (I'm 19 now) and loving pro wrestling and NASCAR, I had two heroes from both, two untouchables who I thought could do no wrong, who were exciting to watch and could do everything.
One of them was Chris Benoit. The other was Tony Stewart.
I've gotten old enough to see both of them become monsters.
I feel absolutely horrible for everybody at Stewart-Haas. From Gene to Kevin, Kurt, and Danica, to the crew chiefs, to the pit crews, and to the 9-5 6 days a week shop guys.
If I were anybody at the race tomorrow, I wouldn't want to do anything. I'd refuse to race as a driver and refuse to work as a crew member or official. If I were Mobil 1 I wouldn't want my logo on the car, if I were an SHR sponsor I'd be internally debating my involvement with the team, and if I were a Hendrick sponsor I'd be on the phone with Rick asking him to drop SHR support.
As for Tony himself, I'm not angry at him personally. Smokey Yunick had a saying, that every man at the beginning of the day has to get up, look in the mirror, and shave. After what happened tonight, I wouldn't wish that on anybody in this world, what he has to live with for the rest of his life.

Sheriff's department in charge of the investigation is asking for amateur video of the incident.

BuqYQcPIYAAko73.jpg:large

If he races tomorrow, I'm not watching.
As a kid growing up (I'm 19 now) and loving pro wrestling and NASCAR, I had two heroes from both, two untouchables who I thought could do no wrong, who were exciting to watch and could do everything.
One of them was Chris Benoit. The other was Tony Stewart.
I've gotten old enough to see both of them become monsters.
I feel absolutely horrible for everybody at Stewart-Haas. From Gene to Kevin, Kurt, and Danica, to the crew chiefs, to the pit crews, and to the 9-5 6 days a week shop guys.
If I were anybody at the race tomorrow, I wouldn't want to do anything. I'd refuse to race as a driver and refuse to work as a crew member or official. If I were Mobil 1 I wouldn't want my logo on the car, if I were an SHR sponsor I'd be internally debating my involvement with the team, and if I were a Hendrick sponsor I'd be on the phone with Rick asking him to drop SHR support.
As for Tony himself, I'm not angry at him personally. Smokey Yunick had a saying, that every man at the beginning of the day has to get up, look in the mirror, and shave. After what happened tonight, I wouldn't wish that on anybody in this world, what he has to live with for the rest of his life.

Agreed, but Im not so sure about the last paragraph.

Yes, Im sure Stewart for a period of time felt immense guilt. But the idea he is still racing tomorrow? I cant stomach that. And to me its a decision to make him look not guilty. I cant help but think hes already blaming the kid.

Yes, theres a small chance Stewart is completely innocent here. A very, very small chance. The police need to interview more witnesses etc to make sure Stewart gunning the engine and turning right was a deliberate act in order to hit the driver. Its possible he was trying to scare him, but thats incredibly reckless. IMO, Stewart should man up and tell it like it is. Was he trying to scare him and he just got too close? Just tell it like it is. Its doubtful that will happen though. His lawyers will fabricate an entire story to make the kid the bad guy and Stewart innocent. And Stewart will go along with it to try and get off with nothing done to him.

But racing tomorrow? Im sorry but that tells me too much about Stewart's character. I think it shows limited remorse. Hell this incident disgusts me so much I want to quit racing as a hobby alltogether. Stewart is cut from a different stone though, like Casey Anthony and other degenerates he will lie and do whatever is possible to get off of this free instead of admitting what actually happened. Its pathetic how people abuse the justice system.

This is the stuff nightmares are made of. Hopefully it makes NASCAR rethink its idiotic 'payback' policy. You dont need to be outside a car to get killed, 100mph is plenty enough speed inside of one to do that. Can you imagine if this happened in a Sprint Cup race on live television? NASCAR would be ruined. They need to rethink their reckless policies that put people in serious danger.

@Earth
Where did you see Stewart turn right, I still have the video tab up and have watched it again since and it basically seems to be on par with the report, there was a car that Stewart was in tandem with behind that swerved out of the way and Ward jumped back from. Then Ward steps forward into the path of Stewart's car and you can see him turn left to avoid but it seems last minute as if he either didn't realize the guy was there or rather he thought he'd move.

I agree with some of what you're saying but the idea that you have some inclination of Stewart's guilt or how vast his chance is of being found not guilty is ridiculous. Especially considering that he was let go and is supposedly acting cooperative with this investigation. This entire trial by public crap for everything that happens is asinine and should stop, wait for the facts like the rest of us instead of coming to some bull headed conclusion

If he cracked the throttle, which I'm pretty sure he did, that puts to rest a lot of this.

How are you so sure though? You say it as if you know without a doubt there is malice, I'm not here to defend an egotistical Stewart. What I am here defending though is the idea that people will willingly go out and post stuff as if they have some clear insight, that those investigating would love to have assurance of to save them the time and effort.

If he cracked the throttle, which I'm pretty sure he did, that puts to rest a lot of this.
If he cracked the throttle to whip the tail away from Ward but wasn't able to do it successfully, which I'm pretty sure he was trying to do

I don't think he was trying to kill him. I think he was trying to teach the guy a lesson by whipping it and almost hitting him. Yeah the guy didn't help matters by moving in the middle of the track but he still had plenty of room on the bottom with plenty of time to move the car down there. But he didn't.

This is the stuff nightmares are made of. Hopefully it makes NASCAR rethink its idiotic 'payback' policy. You dont need to be outside a car to get killed, 100mph is plenty enough speed inside of one to do that. Can you imagine if this happened in a Sprint Cup race on live television? NASCAR would be ruined. They need to rethink their reckless policies that put people in serious danger.

This is why NASCAR has the policy that any driver that can't drive back to the garage MUST ride back in the ambulance. Angry people walking on the race track with moving vehicles is a recipe for disaster, even at caution speeds.

I don't think he was trying to kill him. I think he was trying to teach the guy a lesson by whipping it and almost hitting him. Yeah the guy didn't help matters by moving in the middle of the track but he still had plenty of room on the bottom with plenty of time to move the car down there. But he didn't.

Perhaps because he wasn't aware just like the car in front of Stewart that almost hit him? I mean the whole scare tactic thing is just as silly an explanation. Especially considering that no one even Stewart had the foresight of knowing some guy would be running down the track to jump in front of his car. You actually see the guy head toward Stewart's car and put himself in front of it. So even if he had gone lower Ward would have still walked down that path, because he was doing it already out of anger.

Last edited:
You also see him try to jump out of the way at the last second before being hit.

@LMSCorvetteGT2

Interesting that your accusing me of jumping the gun and blaming Stewart, while you turn right around and blame the victim, saying that he jumped in front of Stewart. I said theres a chance Stewart may be completely innocent. It doesnt look that way though, but I dont have all the evidence.

Stewart simply gunned the gas as he passed by to 'scare' him, the car unexpectedly squirted to the right and he hit the kid with his right rear.

Stewart should go to jail. If Im driving down the street and some kid is flipping me off so I drive close to him and punch it and I lose the back end and strike the kid with it killing him, I should spend time in jail. Doesnt matter if the kid was in the street or near it or whatever. Stewart was reckless.

However Stewart is a rich celebrity and they have gotten away with much worse. His worse punishment will be having to sit through a few court dates. The kids is going to get alot of blame for going on to the track, which is a shame. How would Stewart like it if Matt Kenseth used his car to hip check him at Bristol last year when he got out of his car to throw a helmet at him?

In the end, Im willing to completely drop all animosity against Stewart if he simply tells the truth. Both him and the kid share blame, but Stewart is the most to blame. Hes the one in the 800HP sprint car. The other guy is in his driving suit. Stewart has more responsibility at the point. And I dont buy it for a second Stewart didnt see him. This guy is a professional racing champion

@LMSCorvetteGT2

Interesting that your accusing me of jumping the gun and blaming Stewart, while you turn right around and blame the victim, saying that he jumped in front of Stewart. I said theres a chance Stewart may be completely innocent. It doesnt look that way though, but I dont have all the evidence.

Where do I blame the victim again? I only said what was true, he walked out of his car had a couple other cars swerve to avoid him so he can place himself in Stewart's path to show displeasure. Sorry if my honesty on the situation isn't to your liking, but that's what happened if you didn't watch the video I understand but I've seen it several times. I doubt the guy was trying to get himself killed or injured in anyway.

You said there is a very tiny chance of innocence, which makes it seem as if you are pretty sure of what this outcome will be, which once again is silly.

Stewart simply gunned the gas as he passed by to 'scare' him, the car unexpectedly squirted to the right and he hit the kid with his right rear.

You have telemetry now? Are you a sound expert that is so good that you can tell exactly where that rev was coming from on the track? Also the car slipped to the right due to hitting the guy.

Stewart should go to jail. If Im driving down the street and some kid is flipping me off so I drive close to him and punch it and I lose the back end and strike the kid with it killing him, I should spend time in jail. Doesnt matter if the kid was in the street or near it or whatever. Stewart was reckless.

Well asphalt is quite a ways different than slick dirt for one, we don't know the intent or the actual feedback to make the claim he did it on purpose, that is directly your feeling. Which I'll remind you isn't factual so stop passing it off as such. If it is an accident no you shouldn't go to jail (on a track setting), if it ruled an accident then yes he should go to jail.

However Stewart is a rich celebrity and they have gotten away with much worse. His worse punishment will be having to sit through a few court dates. The kids is going to get alot of blame for going on to the track, which is a shame. How would Stewart like it if Matt Kenseth used his car to hip check him at Bristol last year when he got out of his car to throw a helmet at him?

Well once again the situations are quite different, it was 2012 first off. Second the incident where he does throw it takes place on pit road where the minimum speed limit is quite less. There are NASCAR officials with Stewart to ensure he didn't get as close as Ward seems to in the video. So I hardly see how there is a link between the two in this hypothetical analogy attempt.

In the end, Im willing to completely drop all animosity against Stewart if he simply tells the truth. Both him and the kid share blame, but Stewart is the most to blame. Hes the one in the 800HP sprint car. The other guy is in his driving suit. Stewart has more responsibility at the point. And I dont buy it for a second Stewart didnt see him. This guy is a professional racing champion

You mean if he willingly tells what you want to hear, that you just came up with after viewing the video (I'm guessing) and having emotion over come you by doing so...

Actually Ward had as much responsibility over his personal well being as Stewart. Also professional racing champ doesn't really mean anything when your in tandem with another car and probably not expecting to see a driver in the middle of the track. But hey you've got this all wrapped up.

I only said what was true, he walked out of his car had a couple other cars swerve to avoid him so he can place himself in Stewart's path to show displeasure.
I know sprint car racing takes place on a relatively short track, but if there were several other cars that needed to swerve before Stewart arrived, then that suggests to me that the driver spent much longer on the circuit and on foot than he needed to. Protocol for any form of motorsport is to leave the area as soon as possible - if you have an issue with someone, settle it later.

I know sprint car racing takes place on a relatively short track, but if there were several other cars that needed to swerve before Stewart arrived, then that suggests to me that the driver spent much longer on the circuit and on foot than he needed to. Protocol for any form of motorsport is to leave the area as soon as possible - if you have an issue with someone, settle it later.

From my count there were six cars that passed the driver, with the sixth being Stewart's car that hits him. The fourth and fifth car that pass him also came close to the driver (Ward).

From my count there were six cars that passed the driver, with the sixth being Stewart's car that hits him. The fourth and fifth car that pass him also came close to the driver (Ward).
So five cars, and from what I've heard, the circuit was under yellows, so they weren't travelling at race speeds.

So what the hell was this guy thinking?

Back