Kevin Ward

• Thread starter GTPorsche
  • 610 comments
I really don't think this was purposeful. With the way those sprint cars are made and the way they handle, there is a very high possibility that Tony made a mistake and it was too late, I guess we'll see how this turns out later.

Welp, looks like one of my picks just got null'd #unconfirmed

In all seriousness, that's just horrible. I mean there's no way it could've happened on accident now can it?

In what sense?

He could have done something that he didn't intend to hurt the kid, and the car got away from him. That wouldn't be "on accident" in the sense of Stewart acting deliberately, but it would be "on accident" in the sense of not intending harm.

I really don't think this was purposeful. With the way those sprint cars are made and the way they handle, there is a very high possibility that Tony made a mistake and it was too late, I guess we'll see how this turns out later.
I am not speculating as to the intent of Tony Stewart to aim or not aim at Kevin Ward, but the man is an expert race car driver. His own Sprint Car wouldn't have been out of his control, especially under caution.

At the very least, he was doing what, trying to spray the kid with dirt?

Had he hit the brakes instead of the throttle, he could have got out of his car and settled it face to face. I'm not sure beating up a teenager is a great thing to do, but nearly any other result from the current one would seem more favorable.

That's what I was thinking in that post and he did a miscalculation, but still, those cars aren't the most stable, you can only try to predict the movement of anything, not actually predict it. I hope it's an accident, but damage is done.

"intimidating him"

Because apparently Tony's the only one allowed to walk up to opposing cars.

2n9df91.jpg

In what sense?

He could have done something that he didn't intend to hurt the kid, and the car got away from him. That wouldn't be "on accident" in the sense of Stewart acting deliberately, but it would be "on accident" in the sense of not intending harm.
Perhaps, perhaps, but they're messing around with very powerful sprint cars.

Video is on Youtube. Not linking for obvious reasons, but it's there.

geez.

Video is on Youtube. Not linking for obvious reasons, but it's there.

geez.
Just watched it, it's bad but not as bad as some were describing. Some people were saying that the wheel of the car flung him under and then out, when really he just gets clipped

EDIT: Tyler Graves is quoted as saying that Ward gets sucked under the wheel, while the video I saw just shows him getting hit

I can't see how anyone can actually defend Tony after that, though.

Yes, the guy walked onto the track, but you can see him try to run away at the last second. That, plus Tony was moving considerably faster than the other cars ahead of him.

Tony had plenty of space he could go down to in order to avoid hitting Ward. Disturbing to say the least :indiff:

I'm not sure whether the high engine rev came from the impact, Tony really did floor it on purpose, or it was someone else.

Although Tony did stop afterwards...

Just read through what I missed in this thread. Tony Stewart lets his rage get to him and mows down another driver? My take? Strip him of his rights to race at the track and in the series. All racing series he's currently involved with, NASCAR included, need to do something as well. And since its a 17 year old he hit and he's 30 or 40 something, that's easily a list of criminal charges.

Just read through what I missed in this thread. Tony Stewart lets his rage get to him and mows down another driver? My take? Strip him of his rights to race at the track and in the series. All racing series he's currently involved with, NASCAR included, need to do something as well. And since its a 17 year old he hit and he's 30 or 40 something, that's easily a list of criminal charges.

We actually don't know if this is intentional. There is a video (I'm not posting it here) that shows the incident and while it may seem like he hit him on purpose, I don't think he did. People are saying that he swerved into him, yet the turn happens after he makes contact with him. Tony did rev the engine and I'm not sure what what was for. It doesn't matter if he's 17 or 45 years old, he was walking the track, flailing his arms. Yellow flag or not, that is still dangerous for someone to do with cars going speeds that are still lethal. Also, the guy is 20 years old, not that it makes a difference in the problem here.

We actually don't know if this is intentional. There is a video (I'm not posting it here) that shows the incident and while it may seem like he hit him on purpose, I don't think he did. People are saying that he swerved into him, yet the turn happens after he makes contact with him. Tony did rev the engine and I'm not sure what what was for. It doesn't matter if he's 17 or 45 years old. He was walking the track, flailing his arms. Yellow flag or not, that is still dangerous for someone to do with cars going speeds that are still lethal.
By the sounds of it, its hard to tell. And really, blame can be placed on both guys in some capacity.

and THIS is what happens when you have people lick your arse your ENTIRE CAREER instead of telling you to " pull your head in "

He had no reason driving faster than the other cars under yellow and had no reason to floor it.

Why would an Arizona CBS livestream a press conference about Upstate NY news :confused:

I saw that and wondered the same thing.

Sheriff confirms that driver was dead on arrival to hospital.

Well this just got worse, I mean does Stewart have some kind of issue. He always gets heated in these situations and yet he has never done this any where else before, so that's why I'm a little hesitant to just say he is totally without a doubt at fault. As for the driver (Kevin Ward) I wish he didn't get out like that, I mean several cars passed by him and seems to almost get hit by another car before Stewart.

Just a shame all around.

Last edited:
Like many here I've seen the incident, which is beyond horrifying.

No, I don't think he meant to hit Ward but he was going stupidly fast compared to the other cars under caution, he deserves the book thrown at him at least in racing terms.

And I know this is an awful thing to say, and I know clearly it was in the heat of the moment, but I'm not sure it was the wisest move by the kid to move that far down the track to gesture his anger.

Thoughts with all involved, can't believe the guys only 20 to lose a life like that.

Last edited:
I'm not even going to imagine what kind of hate Stewart is getting from the victim's friends, family and fans already. A lot of people don't like Stewart enough as it is, but there's even more. With both points there doesn't need to be any confirmation that this was intentional or not.

Back