Kia GT Sport Concept becomes the 2018 Kia Stinger

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 147 comments
I almost want to get the 2.0T just because the V6 is so tightly packaged and space-optimized that working on it yourself is probably going to be a huge pain.

Looks like only the GT will be available in Canada... only ones in stock Edmonton are the fully loaded automatic V6 AWD for $51,500 each.

$44,195 starting price apparently.

This past weekend, I spotted a Kia Stinger on the road. This has received a good deal of positive reviews and even being a "Driver's Choice" award recipient from the MotorWeek TV show. So it was great seeing this potent automobile in person recently.

Looks like only the GT will be available in Canada... only ones in stock Edmonton are the fully loaded automatic V6 AWD for $51,500 each.

$44,195 starting price apparently.

Probably too much for a small market such as Canada. They're bringing in the 2.0T as the 2019 model.

I did see a 3.3T last week on the road though, great looking car.

MSZ
Probably too much for a small market such as Canada. They're bringing in the 2.0T as the 2019 model.

I did see a 3.3T last week on the road though, great looking car.
Yeah, I see one every other actually lol. Looks like they're selling decently at least. I'm personally more interested in the Genesis G70, it reminds me a lot of my old Gen Coupe (for obvious reasons), it's basically my dream car, as I loved my Gen Coupe but just needed a wee bit more room for passengers... haha from the cars I'm looking at purchasing the G70 definitely does not fit in lol. Volt, i3 or G70.

I haven't seen any at all which isn't surprising as its been selling only a couple of hundred a month. The price is a bit steep compared to European offerings and also no amount of good reviews will solve the badge perception over here. People will gladly drop more money on an A-Class than this!

I haven't seen any at all which isn't surprising as its been selling only a couple of hundred a month. The price is a bit steep compared to European offerings and also no amount of good reviews will solve the badge perception over here. People will gladly drop more money on an A-Class than this!

Sad but true! CLA/GLA are almost as popular as Corolla here, and those FWD Mercedeses ain't cheap.

I wouldn't say the Stinger's pricing is steep - it's fairly competitive with like-for-like vehicles. £40k ish isn't bad at all for a 360-ish horsepower rear-wheel drive sports saloon, and unlike the German stuff Kia doesn't then make you pay extra for all the kit you should get as standard if you're paying £40k...

The badge is a harder thing to get over, but I think Kia has only limited targets for UK sales anyway so I don't think they're too worried. And if people don't buy them based on badge alone, it's their loss - there's not much it competes against that's better to drive, and probably not many that'll prove less troublesome to own either.

Kia goes wild with Stinger

1767a92a219f08b328a398446d6338dde5f54edd.jpg

Stinger-iii.jpg

I'm not usually a fan of what West Coast do to cars but this looks great. Widening it works really well, especially with those exposed rear tyres.

Getting serious Gen-Coupe vibes on that modded Stinger's nose. Didn't realize how a little front arch widening would increase that.

I really want to try one. They look great on the move in the wild, and there's really nothing else quite like it 'round these parts. The 300C is ancient, the SS is dead, and the equivalent cars from BMW/Audi are something like 20% more expensive (and you still miss out on equipment).

I'm happy for Kia to have separate or branch off branding for the Stinger. Like Corvette Stingray is its own brand with no bowtie badge.

Bless Kia for being one of the very few manufacturers to make a proper, fun enthusiast-oriented car with an engine that has more than 4 cylinders.
I like the Stinger too, but there’s.. a lot of other fun drivers cars with over 4 cylinders out there..

I like the Stinger too, but there’s.. a lot of other fun drivers cars with over 4 cylinders out there..

I'm guessing @HuskyGT is referring to relatively affordable cars. It's a fairly reasonable statement IMO: I can't think of tons of others at that price point not named Mustang or Camaro. :P

I'm guessing @HuskyGT is referring to relatively affordable cars. It's a fairly reasonable statement IMO: I can't think of tons of others at that price point not named Mustang or Camaro. :P
Though a Stinger GT-S is only moderately affordable. $45k for the RWD model is still $10k more than a Mustang GT or $15k more than a 370Z.

You get more actual car with the Stinger of course and I can't imagine too many people will cross-shop those cars, but they'll have to come down a bit before the more impoverished enthusiast can get hold of one!

The Stinger's one of my favourite modern cars though. Too heavy to be an out-and-out sports car (though the Mustang isn't really either) but such a great blend of performance/comfort/handling/refinement.

I like the concept of the Stinger, but aesthetically it's still a far cry from more established brands. The nose is hideous.

VXR
I like the concept of the Stinger, but aesthetically it's still a far cry from more established brands. The nose is hideous.

I like the nose actually. It's the ungainly profile and weird rear end I take issue with. It doesn't look purposeful from the sides and rear.

Though a Stinger GT-S is only moderately affordable. $45k for the RWD model is still $10k more than a Mustang GT or $15k more than a 370Z.

You get more actual car with the Stinger of course and I can't imagine too many people will cross-shop those cars, but they'll have to come down a bit before the more impoverished enthusiast can get hold of one!

The Stinger's one of my favourite modern cars though. Too heavy to be an out-and-out sports car (though the Mustang isn't really either) but such a great blend of performance/comfort/handling/refinement.

Even at that price, it really does have sparse company. Looking at cars packing more than four cylinders, the only other fun cars I found on this side of the pond are the pony car trio, the Z, and the M240i — though I can't imagine finding the Bimmer without a few extra grand in options.

You're right though: it's still a significant chunk of change. I'm guessing it'll become a second-hand bargain though, as there's still a decent amount of badge snobbery at play, at least as far as I can tell.

I like the nose actually. It's the ungainly profile and weird rear end I take issue with. It doesn't look purposeful from the sides and rear.

Agreed. There's nothing inherently bad with the rear for me — it's too busy, but that's pretty standard these days — but it doesn't feel like it belongs with the rest of the styling of the car. It's like the front and rear are two different models.

I'm quite a fan of the styling in general. Given a choice I'd change the nose - though I've not thought about it enough to know how I'd change it - but I like the side profile and the rear.

I think, as with many new cars, a darker color works well to hide the heft. Also, I like that the one pictured here doesn't have the quad exhaust, which seems excessive. I like the twin tip exhaust setups most. I don't think this model/trim is available in the US. All of the ones I've seen are quad exhaust.

I think, as with many new cars, a darker color works well to hide the heft. Also, I like that the one pictured here doesn't have the quad exhaust, which seems excessive. I like the twin tip exhaust setups most. I don't think this model/trim is available in the US. All of the ones I've seen are quad exhaust.
The one pictured is the diesel. Not as good to drive as the V6, but exhaust aside basically identical in terms of styling, and obviously a bit more frugal. What I think is great is that the non-S models still have a limited-slip diff. Even BMW doesn't do that these days.

The Stinger is used by just about every police force here, every state, simply because there's no car that money that has that speed, that space and that warranty. We also use the BMW 530d and the Chrysler 300c Hemi.

We also get a stripped model here call the 330s as well as the unwanted 200s and 200 GT Line.

I actually quite like the look of the 330s... looks a lot less boy racer.

I would like it if they put *most* of what's good about the GT into the 330s and call it a day but really, these are $60k cars here and most people only $15 an hour wont be able to afford these over rent mortgages etc.

I also think these things are coming to an end... I cant think Kia is all that interested in these halo cars when they could just sell more SUVs...

yeah it was coming

they couldnt make this car forever given how small they sell

its a shame... a 365hp rear drive four door GT car... now even our cops dont get 'em

A future classsic I think.

Its cousins the Hundai Genesis ones will continue but they are $75-$90k here!

Back