Lewis Hamilton DLC challenge is almost impossible with controller

• Thread starter saggzz
  • 242 comments
The endless restarts made me solid at the first half and useless at the second half.
Hence the importance of finishing the track, even if you won’t achieve the time you’re looking for. Perhaps a bit tedious on Nordschleife given how much longer it is compared to the rest of the tracks but still, in a way it’s pointless if you can’t make it through the last sectors decently when nailing the first ones.

After doing a bunch of laps at Nordschleife, I'm confident I can get silver if I just eliminate crashes, but I also feel certain that I won't ever get gold. There's no chance I can shave off 12 more seconds. It pretty much makes me not want to bother with the other 3 tracks that I haven't golded yet. :indiff:
As Lewis himself says, keep pushing! Don’t give up. I remind myself of those and similar sentiments more often than I originally thought I’d need. Your times will improve eventually.

I have one Diamond at Monza and am 4-10th’s off at Dragon Trail. I’m going to Gold the rest then get back to chipping off time to (attempt) to get the Diamond.

Regardless, my driving is improving. I can see this with comparisons against PSN Friends of similar ability. Seem to have gained 5-8 tenths.

I also thought it was impossible on a pad but after a bit, i finally managed a gold on Monza and am currently .054 (yes i went full rage on this one) off on Dragon Trail.

The Sauber however.... :boggled:

After doing a bunch of laps at Nordschleife, I'm confident I can get silver if I just eliminate crashes, but I also feel certain that I won't ever get gold. There's no chance I can shave off 12 more seconds. It pretty much makes me not want to bother with the other 3 tracks that I haven't golded yet. :indiff:

Shows how differently we all perceive the challenge of each circuit. I’ve just this morning beaten the gold time at the Nürburgring GP after about an hour a day of trying for the last five days. The Nordschleife one I spun at the first corner on my first attempt, crashed at Kallenhard (triple corner downhill section) on my second and then golded my first flying lap!

I have no doubt you’ll be able to get all golds. I didn’t think I had a chance either after being 2 seconds down at Nürburgring GP after what I thought was a decent lap and also 1.7 seconds down at Bathurst.

Nordschleife took hours to gold in circuit experience for me, as well as Fisherman's Ranch. These challenges to get gold are at least equal to those two single player challenges, to get close to diamond even more so, I have no perspective on trying to do it with a pad, after about a month of playing the game and a broken ds4 that the stick started to drift, figured the proper tool for the job was needed and got a t150. It doesn't feel like a grind if you are having fun, and getting quicker is always fun but takes the time.

The Chicane of Death is a 🤬!

After bottling the diamond time a gazillion times in the last hour, I needed to get that off my chest.

OK. You can carry on.:cheers:
I know how you feel :lol:.

I'd been as much as .5 up and hit the wall exiting ( 🤬🤬🤬). Then later, when I balls up the first sector, I decided to continue on to learn the last part of the lap better, and wouldn't ya know it, I nailed the chicane and continued on to Diamond by the skin of my you-know-whats. That'll do... next 👍:).

I know how you feel :lol:.

I'd been as much as .5 up and hit the wall exiting ( 🤬🤬🤬). Then later, when I balls up the first sector, I decided to continue on to learn the last part of the lap better, and wouldn't ya know it, I nailed the chicane and continued on to Diamond by the skin of my you-know-whats. That'll do... next 👍:).

I've got a Chicane of Death mental block as I still haven't done it properly. I panic every single time.:scared:

Reconsidering doing them top to bottom now as I think I'll be stuck on Seaside for a loooong time if I do.:lol:

Off topic (sorta) but this DLC has cost me £46.50 now. Waiting on my GTEYE brake spring (£16) and I've just put one of these 3D printed jobs on for £24. I was going to order Playseat's very nice double pedal plate at £30 until they asked for £24 in shipping...:rolleyes:

s-l1600.jpg

Chickened out on the Ricmotech LC after you mentioned brake's recalibrating to too tough a setting.

Using the clutch spring has added about 20% to the resistance and given it a nice progressive feel and I'm hoping the new brake spring will double that up for my heaviest braking.

Obviously, I'm using the G29's old brake as an excuse for not beating Seaside yet.:sly:

So I've tried the LH Big Willow challenge yesterday and ended up stuck at a .391 and some kind of mental block on how or where ( possibly everywhere :lol: ) to do better. Except ...
The point is I can keep up with Lewis in most parts, losing a bit, gaining a bit. I'm binning the lap at the entrance of the Omega ( T3 ), the gap that opens here is the gap I take to the line as long as the rest is ok. If I try to apply throttle as early as Lewis does, the car understeers and the line through the Omega gets compromised, if I coast the gap opens nevertheless. How did you, especially DS4 users, tackle that corner.
Any advice is highly appreciated.
I'd also be interested in where you gain and lose versus Lewis through the various corners as a kind of general lap reference.

On a sidenote, I've no idea how LH can keep that wide line through the last corner. Whenever I've tried to copy him I couldn't stop the car from drifting offtrack.

From a camper at the gates of Willow Springs International Raceway :D, Joe.

Edit :

A couple of hours later :
Hey, where did that come from - mega lap :cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers: !
Only .481 slower than Dan Holland, that's a dream !

Camper.png

And the camper moves on to Suzuka :cool: ...

Last edited:
I only tried Dragons Trail when it came out, didn't have much time for game since then, playing on controller, ABS only and I have 0.2s to beat Hamilton time... few laps there... so it is possible to beat those times...

Does anyone here also feel the Racing Hard tyres aren't offering the grip they once did in previous GT versions? It feels as if Lewis is on Racing Softs. I face the most trouble when negotiating a corner in 2nd gear as te car just itches to skid. I'm more comfortable trying this DLC with a DS4 rather than motion sensor control. No doubt, practice gives confidence but patience is as important!

Rank is by no means an indication of skill. You need to be in the top 1-2%, A+/S SR driver, to have a good shot at the times. Otherwise you have to spend some hours on each tracks til you know it inside out. Like any other game, spend time with it, you'll get better.
This game will not reward you instantly.
The trick to getting better online and to be compete with time trials is to know the inside and out of each track.

This game will not reward you instantly.
The trick to getting better online and to be compete with time trials is to know the inside and out of each track.

It also depends on the car & the tyres allocated. Some cars are easier to drive when compared to others that aren't.

I’ve only ever played with a controller and only ever will, I don’t have the desire or the disposable income for a wheel, and I didn’t find getting gold times on any of the challenges particularly difficult. I probably spent about 20-30 minutes on each track. It wasn’t nearly as difficult as say, getting golds (or even silvers) in the license tests in the PS1 GT games. Now THAT is impossible.

Each update to GTS has made the gap between wheel and controller larger as the cars become more understeery as the months go on. Now it seems to be about as large as it was in GT6. We were ALMOST on an even playing field at launch.

Monza is certainly the easiest, it’s the only one I’ve managed to get platinum on, and I think I managed it in my 2nd or 3rd try (and I don’t enjoy that track particularly). Willow is one of my favourite and best tracks and I don’t see myself ever getting platinum there.

The truly difficult thing about these challenges is that they’re just one lap at a time and you have to keep stopping and starting, if you could endlessly run a time trial and get into a rhythm it’d be much easier.

Platinums on all tracks with controller is a tall order, but I imagine it’s doable for elite players.

This challenge doesn't hold a candle to the Vettel challenge back in GT5 lol

It took me about 50 minutes to do this, whereas it took me 8 and a half hours straight to all-gold the Vettel challenge.

For most of the top players, this shouldn't be difficult. The main challenge here is being able to manage the understeer through proper manipulation of engine braking and trailbraking. Willow and Suzuka are particularly more difficult than the others imo, but either way, you have to be able to show a fairly proficient level of skill with your inputs to beat these times on diamond. Whether that's innate or through countless hours of practice, doesn't matter how you get it done :)

It took me about 50 minutes to do this, whereas it took me 8 and a half hours straight to all-gold the Vettel challenge.

For most of the top players, this shouldn't be difficult. The main challenge here is being able to manage the understeer through proper manipulation of engine braking and trailbraking. Willow and Suzuka are particularly more difficult than the others imo, but either way, you have to be able to show a fairly proficient level of skill with your inputs to beat these times on diamond. Whether that's innate or through countless hours of practice, doesn't matter how you get it done :)

Not to mention how notorious is the car when trying to negotiate a corner in 2nd gear. Also when braking, the tyres behave like sports hard instead of racing hard.

But you would've done the Sebastian Vettel Challenge several years ago, so your skill level may not have been as high. I don't even remember if I beat the times or not, and I'm not able to check because my PS3 is stuffed. Want a real challenge though? Trying beating the times on a controller and let the struggle ensue! I've probably spent a total of 24 hours on the challenge after beating 8 of the 10 times.

But you would've done the Sebastian Vettel Challenge several years ago, so your skill level may not have been as high. I don't even remember if I beat the times or not, and I'm not able to check because my PS3 is stuffed. Want a real challenge though? Trying beating the times on a controller and let the struggle ensue! I've probably spent a total of 24 hours on the challenge after beating 8 of the 10 times.

I did do it on controller, it was the worst thing I've done so far :( I had to use controller sensitivity settings unlike the master himself, @Tidgney

I will forever think the Vettel challenge is more difficult because the car is infinitely more difficult to drive whilst having much smaller margin for error to make the lap time in my opinion.

I gotta edit because I noticed you meant controller for Hamilton. That's what I did it with.

I gotta edit because I noticed you meant controller for Hamilton. That's what I did it with.
Yeah, right:lol: Seriously? You beat all the times on a controller in 50 minutes? Based on my experience, that seems completely improbable. Then again I'm probably a second slower than you are on any given track.

Last edited:
Yeah, right:lol: Seriously? You beat all the times on a controller in 50 minutes? Based on my experience, that seems completely improbable. Then again I'm probably a second slower than you are on any given track.

Well, more like an hour and 5 if you count the time I spent eating! Deafsun likes to say that I tend to get fairly quick times quickly, and for me that seems to be the case. It's getting a top top tier lap that takes me hours and hours (and I've got a lower ceiling than the top players for sure)

Well, more like an hour and 5 if you count the time I spent eating! Deafsun likes to say that I tend to get fairly quick times quickly, and for me that seems to be the case. It's getting a top top tier lap that takes me hours and hours (and I've got a lower ceiling than the top players for sure)
I must be doing something wrong. The only time I was able to beat in an hour was Maggiore. All the others have taken me two hours or more. Sometimes I've had to come back the next day to complete them! Having a chronic muscle condition doesn't help.:indiff:

Thanks for this kind and somehow encouraging post.
Honestly I wouldn't have expected any lesser performance from you :) 👍 !
The hours I've needed for receiving 6 diamonds so far ( haven't tried more ) feel well spent as the reward here besides a unique car is the practice and the chance of porting a bit of improved skill into the future.

Of course he can !
It's what he calls his "ceiling". It's simply high enough to beat Hamilton's laps in no time while you and me struggle as our ceiling is "a second lower" so we need to do some of our very best laps for diamond :D.
Good thing is we'll have reason to be really proud finally :lol: :cheers: !

Thanks for this kind and somehow encouraging post.
Honestly I wouldn't have expected any lesser performance from you :) 👍 !
The hours I've needed for receiving 6 diamonds so far ( haven't tried more ) feel well spent as the reward here besides a unique car is the practice and the chance of porting a bit of improved skill into the future.

Of course he can !
It's what he calls his "ceiling". It's simply high enough to beat Hamilton's laps in no time while you and me struggle as our ceiling is "a second lower" so we need to do some of our very best laps for diamond :D.

I just hope people arent discouraged by the difficulty, as it is one of the tougher GT challenges of the past decade or so. It brings me back to the days of GT3 with the Camaro @ Seattle license test, Driving Mission 34 in GT4, and the one lap F40 challenge at Suzuka in GT5P (though admittedly I need to revisit this one to see if I was just big dummy). Challenging, but beatable. And while some may find the reward somewhat lacking, I love one-of-a-kind cars, so I enjoyed this.

Am using a Red controller so thought it would be easy :)

my results to date:
All Silvers except:
Monza Gold
The Ring Bronze

I think I am closer to Diamond at Monza than Silver at the Ring.

I've tried only three tracks with DS4:
- Mount panorama - Gold (I've leraned a lot about this track by this trial :cheers:)
- Willow spring (only five finished laps) - silver
- Nurburgring GP - silver

IR

Good thing is we'll have reason to be really proud finally :lol: :cheers: !
Laps soo good they may not be possible. Suzuka and Nurburgring GP both have me baffled, as I'm over half a second slower on both tracks. Willow Springs was easier...:boggled:

Weird thing happened to me after last update. I had been experiencing random understeer before it, then after the update I tested the handling and it seemed better. Improved my gold times at Dragon and Magiore by a significant margin to diamond each and didn't feel the previous understeer problem at all. It felt like I could be confident.

Then trying the other tracks it is back, completely washing out wide. Not just on the LHTT, it's like there is train tracks and the train falls off the tracks. Or like the racing line is only 1 tyre width while the rest of the corner wet.

... Suzuka and Nurburgring GP both have me baffled, as I'm over half a second slower on both tracks. Willow Springs was easier ...:boggled:

I agree - Suzuka definitely is tougher than Big Willow.
Math is simple. While the reference laps are quite similar in quality / speed, Suzuka is almost double the length with 18 turns instead of 8 :scared: !

At some point I was able to follow Hamilton within 1 or 2 tenths, I couldn't pass him though. I really had a lot of such laps and I realized I got more and more furious about it. Then, being on his bumper again after 130R I lost my composure, "rage-beamed" :mad: my Benz through CASIO and actually gained the lead ... and the diamond :D !

I've been lucky here, however, I'm not really happy about it so I think I'll return to Suzuka some day for another shot.

I agree - Suzuka definitely is tougher than Big Willow.
Math is simple. While the reference laps are quite similar in quality / speed, Suzuka is almost double the length with 18 turns instead of 8 :scared: !

At some point I was able to follow Hamilton within 1 or 2 tenths, I couldn't pass him though. I really had a lot of such laps and I realized I got more and more furious about it. Then, being on his bumper again after 130R I lost my composure, "rage-beamed" :mad: my Benz through CASIO and actually gained the lead ... and the diamond :D !

I've been lucky here, however, I'm not really happy about it so I think I'll return to Suzuka some day for another shot.

What is "rage beaming"?

Back