Lewis Hamilton DLC challenge is almost impossible with controller

• Thread starter saggzz
  • 242 comments
T
2ndly and this is important... its come out that PD did these times based on an older drive model.

If you're competing on a current more complex drive model on someone who posted them on an old model then that's not a level playing field in any way you cut it.

I hate to break to you, but it's all an illusion. You are correct, it is not a level playing field. It is tilted in your favour.

I'll break down some facts to illustrate.

Fact 1 - Lewis Hamilton is a multi-time F1 world champion.

Fact 2 - The best players of this game are several seconds a lap faster, on any track, than I am. For instance, Deafsun is routinely almost 2 seconds per lap faster than I am on any circuit, and I am a DR-A to A+ player.

Fact 3 - I have achieved diamond on three of the events so far.

Fact 4 - I have yet to receive any calls from Ferrari to replace Sebastian Vettel in the F1 team based on my demonstrated superiority over "Lewis Hamilton" in this event. (disappointing to say the least). I have not been called by any team for any vacant racing seat anywhere in the world.

The reality is that the real Lewis Hamilton is likely far faster than the "Lewis Hamilton" ghost that we see in the game if all things were equal in the cars. We also have no idea what the tune of this ghost car was but it is likely tuned to be at a performance disadvantage compared to the car that players get to use. For instance, the C9 is very slow out of the corners which indicates it has traction control turned on.

It's fun to challenge ourselves, but there is little chance that, given a level playing field, any of us would actually be able to compete with Lewis Hamilton.

Look at the leader boards. Those are accurate representations of how far off any of us are from being truly fast. Some of those guys are even pro level drivers in real life, and STILL not truly Lewis Hamilton level fast.

I hate to break to you, but it's all an illusion. You are correct, it is not a level playing field. It is tilted in your favour.

Fact 2 - The best players of this game are several seconds a lap faster, on any track, than I am. For instance, Deafsun is routinely almost 2 seconds per lap faster than I am on any circuit, and I am a DR-A to A+ player.

Fact 4 - I have yet to receive any calls from Ferrari to replace Sebastian Vettel in the F1 team based on my demonstrated superiority over "Lewis Hamilton" in this event. (disappointing to say the least). I have not been called by any team for any vacant racing seat anywhere in the world.

The reality is that the real Lewis Hamilton is likely far faster than the "Lewis Hamilton" ghost that we see in the game if all things were equal in the cars. We also have no idea what the tune of this ghost car was but it is likely tuned to be at a performance disadvantage compared to the car that players get to use. For instance, the C9 is very slow out of the corners which indicates it has traction control turned on.

It's fun to challenge ourselves, but there is little chance that, given a level playing field, any of us would actually be able to compete with Lewis Hamilton.

Look at the leader boards. Those are accurate representations of how far off any of us are from being truly fast. Some of those guys are even pro level drivers in real life, and STILL not truly Lewis Hamilton level fast.
You said pretty much everything that I was going to say haha.

I don't understand what people were expecting with this DLC. I knew this wasn't going to be easy, and decided against it for now (and I own a wheel). If beating Lewis Hamilton's times was even remotely easy, that would pretty much defeat the purpose of him doing it to begin with. It's a little ridiculous that people are buying this and then turning around and complaining about it. And bringing up things like what drive model he was using isn't going to make anyone any faster, just sounds like excuses to complain.

Also going back to what this thread is about: I just saw Lamb set the top time at Willow Springs. So I think we can put the "almost impossible with controller" talk to bed.

I think what caught people off guard, myself included, is how difficult gold is to get. I expected Hamliton's times to be out reach of most people, but was expecting gold to not be so difficult. I'm close on a few, but so far on some others, there's no chance at getting gold. I'm no spring chicken anymore, and my hands can't take hour after hour of trying to get a few tenths off.

It is what it is, I'll take my 9 silvers, and 1 gold, and go do something else.

MMX
I think what caught people off guard, myself included, is how difficult gold is to get. I expected Hamliton's times to be out reach of most people, but was expecting gold to not be so difficult. I'm close on a few, but so far on some others, there's no chance at getting gold. I'm no spring chicken anymore, and my hands can't take hour after hour of trying to get a few tenths off.

It is what it is, I'll take my 9 silvers, and 1 gold, and go do something else.
Im a b ranked guy and golds were very easy to me.

i wonder how hard Lewis actually tried when he made those laps. Given how fast he is he wouldnt have made more than 5 laps on each circuit IMO, but still made sure to put some competitive laps

i wonder how hard Lewis actually tried when he made those laps. Given how fast he is he wouldnt have made more than 5 laps on each circuit IMO, but still made sure to put some competitive laps

We cannot even say for sure that is actually his ghost that was captured. It could have been some dude in the test department and "L. Hamilton" was coded to appear above the ghost.

Only the dev team knows for sure.

Lewis says that he is a fan of the series. I am positive that he isn't alone. I am sure that many real life racers, that are well known, have a clandestine account. We could have actually raced against a pro and not known it.

Robin Williams used to play Battlefield online. He liked being a sniper. I was fortunate to have actually spoken to him about this back in 2003.

Playing with a DS4, I've cleared the diamond times on all 10 challenges. Some of them took me a good amount of time, like Willow & Suzuka, but eventually I got there.

Could I have had an easier time on a wheel? Maybe. But diamond times are certainly achievable playing with a controller.

Last edited:
I tackled Nordschleife first since it's the longest course and because I've always struggled at Nordschleife in every racing game/sim I've played, so I wanted to get my worst nightmare out of the way first, hoping everything else will feel less daunting after that. It took me a great many attempts over a few sessions/days to finally get diamond at Nordschleife (barely a couple tenths faster than Lewis). One down, nine more to go. I've begun my battle against Mount Panorama and I hit the gold time, but I've still got my work cut out for me to get diamond at Bathurst.

I've got a B driver rating and an S safety/sportsmanship rating in Sport Mode, I'm using a standard first-party DS4 gamepad (thumbstick steering) with manual transmission, chase cam, steering sensitivity at 7 (max), ABS on default, TCS at 2 (in the AMG GT3 & Sauber C9, not on every car), no ASM, no CSA, & no driving line overlay... So if anyone is wondering if mere mortals have any hope of hitting diamond times in these time trials with a controller, I'd say yes - if you're determined & persistent. If I'm lucky, I expect it might take me at least a couple weeks to get all 10 diamonds.

The Chicane of Death is a 🤬! ...

PREACH!!! It caught me SOOOOOO many times.

Hey bros, I feel ya :crazy:.
Isn't that crazy, it's love and hate. I can't think of any other piece of track in GTS which is more make or break than this. I've binned my very best laps again and again and finally decided to maybe return to DTS later for a few extra tenths.
Haven't watched for now how others do it ( except Lewis's reference lap ) - I stayed in fifth with eyes closed :lol: as changing into fourth gear appears to be completely noob :cool:.

@kilesa4568
Saw your lap on my friends list 👍 - you'll get there in no time if you haven't already.

My schedule is from top to bottom simply - so Lago Maggiore will be next. Will see how I do through the "mother of all banked corners".

:cheers:

All Silver is done, Gold is far away, but at least there will be a challenge to return to.

It could be interesting to hear and see what someone like @TRL LIGHTNING thinks about these laps, where Hamilton is good and where he could do better. I got this idea that Hamilton being used to risk his real life and not just having to restart a lap, might hold back without really being aware of it.

All Silver is done, Gold is far away, but at least there will be a challenge to return to.

It could be interesting to hear and see what someone like @TRL LIGHTNING thinks about these laps, where Hamilton is good and where he could do better. I got this idea that Hamilton being used to risk his real life and not just having to restart a lap, might hold back without really being aware of it.

For me hamiltons laps are pretty good in terms of difficulty. It shouldn't be too fast so that the non fast drivers can't beat it and get frustrated in the end. We are still talking about a dlc where everyone should have fun with.
On my run I didn't try to get everything on diamond first as I wanted to get the additional 20 Mio credits Bonus after completing every single challenge on gold. I was desperate in buying as many expensive cars as possible as I didn't have any of those xD.
For me the hardest one was willow springs and respect on Hamilton doing that lap. As for every single other challenge the difficult is pretty good in my opinion. Personally it also reminded me of the Sebastian Vettel challenge we had in GT5. So difficult to beat back then I love it if there's a challenge which I have to invest a lot of tries to beat it in the end. Because the feeling after that is just great xD

Hey bros, I feel ya :crazy:.
Isn't that crazy, it's love and hate. I can't think of any other piece of track in GTS which is more make or break than this. I've binned my very best laps again and again and finally decided to maybe return to DTS later for a few extra tenths.
Haven't watched for now how others do it ( except Lewis's reference lap ) - I stayed in fifth with eyes closed :lol: as changing into fourth gear appears to be completely noob :cool:.

@kilesa4568
Saw your lap on my friends list 👍 - you'll get there in no time if you haven't already.

My schedule is from top to bottom simply - so Lago Maggiore will be next. Will see how I do through the "mother of all banked corners".

:cheers:

Just realised I replied in the wrong thread. I'm 'cheating' by using my wheel.:embarrassed:

I keep trying to take it in 5th but my brain (what there is of it) has always insisted on big comfort lifts from day one. It keeps shouting "Slow down! You'll kill yourself!" and commandeers my brake pedal off me. Such a wimp.:ouch: At the end of the session, I'd get the entry right a lot more but as it's so new to me, I kept panicking avoiding the outside wall and scrubbing loads of speed off every time instead. My confidence is building though and I WILL nail it. On for a 36.6 or 7 when I do.

Had an hour on Maggiore after my 1400th death at the 'chicken' and got a decent 55.7 with an untidy lap so I'm optimistic on that one.

Willow might defeat me as my throttle control (plus line, braking, and steering:lol:) isn't too good but if I can get a few tenths away from the diamond time, it'll be a huge improvement for me and I might be a bit more competitive there in future.

Good luck with the rest of them mate.:cheers:

All that remained was to add Hamilton's three favorite circuits:

- Montreal
- Silverstone
- COTA.

It would be perfect. It could happen one day.

Last edited:
I enjoy this DLC. It’s so challenging to the point it’s making me relive the countless hours I spent trying to gold the S-License tests in Gran Turismo 4 so I could finally win the Model T. :lol:

I compare it to completing all license tests in gold in GT1 and GT2. I remember spending an hour or 2 a day for a full week to complete some of these. It was always so deflating to miss by .001 of a second.

The REAL goal here is all gold, not all diamond.

If you get all gold, you get the GR5 AMG GT (for all silver), you get the C9 (for all gold), you get a tone of credits, and the cap is lifted on your credit limit.

Getting diamond gets you some more credits and the special edition AMG VGT, but since it's a GRX car it's not likely anyone will ever actually use it.

And in regards to the controller aspect, all you really need is the dexterity, which simply comes through concerted effort and time.

We've got a saying here in dear old blighty; in for a penny, in for a pound so it's got to be diamond's for me. It's taking me way out of my comfort zone but I know I'll get a real kick out of beating Hamilton. I was 3/100th's off at Seaside and that had me puffing my pigeon chest out all night. I'll get in touch with the local paper when I manage to get diamond.:lol:

If you get all gold, you get the GR5 AMG GT (for all silver), you get the C9 (for all gold), you get a tone of credits, and the cap is lifted on your credit limit.

Getting diamond gets you some more credits and the special edition AMG VGT, but since it's a GRX car it's not likely anyone will ever actually use it.

And in regards to the controller aspect, all you really need is the dexterity, which simply comes through concerted effort and time.
It doesn't matter if you ever drive it, it's like saying you wouldn't want to win the FA Cup because you can't drink a cup of tea from it.

It doesn't matter if you ever drive it, it's like saying you wouldn't want to win the FA Cup because you can't drink a cup of tea from it.

Yes, I agree, the achievement is a good thing, I am just saying that from a a value standpoint, you get a lot if you only get gold.

We've got a saying here in dear old blighty; in for a penny, in for a pound so it's got to be diamond's for me. It's taking me way out of my comfort zone but I know I'll get a real kick out of beating Hamilton. I was 3/100th's off at Seaside and that had me puffing my pigeon chest out all night. I'll get in touch with the local paper when I manage to get diamond.:lol:

Yes, but again, kind of reinforcing my point, the value is in the attempt. I will likely be trying to get diamond on all the courses for a long time (3 so far...still) but, I'll never go back and try to do better than my diamond time.

After doing a bunch of laps at Nordschleife, I'm confident I can get silver if I just eliminate crashes, but I also feel certain that I won't ever get gold. There's no chance I can shave off 12 more seconds. It pretty much makes me not want to bother with the other 3 tracks that I haven't golded yet. :indiff:

After doing a bunch of laps at Nordschleife, I'm confident I can get silver if I just eliminate crashes, but I also feel certain that I won't ever get gold. There's no chance I can shave off 12 more seconds. It pretty much makes me not want to bother with the other 3 tracks that I haven't golded yet. :indiff:

It took me aaaages to get the silver at Nordsleife and I felt the same as you do when I did. No chance of cutting off the time needed for gold. I kept plugging away and eventually got there. What was funny though was for the longest time I could get to the carousel up on Hamilton, but would then either crash or only finish quick enough for silver. The endless restarts made me solid at the first half and useless at the second half.

It took a serious amount of effort to get gud enough for gold, but it was a great sense of achievement when I did.

My only advise other than practice practice practice is to take a break before it makes you go insane :lol:
Also, use 2nd gear sparingly. 3rd gear is your friend.

It took me aaaages to get the silver at Nordsleife and I felt the same as you do when I did. No chance of cutting off the time needed for gold. I kept plugging away and eventually got there. What was funny though was for the longest time I could get to the carousel up on Hamilton, but would then either crash or only finish quick enough for silver. The endless restarts made me solid at the first half and useless at the second half.

It took a serious amount of effort to get gud enough for gold, but it was a great sense of achievement when I did.

My only advise other than practice practice practice is to take a break before it makes you go insane :lol:
Also, use 2nd gear sparingly. 3rd gear is your friend.
Thank for the encouragement. 👍
I've been using A/T.
I've only used M/T for Big Willow, at this point.

Back