Lewis Hamilton DLC challenge is almost impossible with controller

• Thread starter saggzz
  • 242 comments
That is my entire point right there.
Thanks for quoting me twice.

It isn't what you've written, whether it is your point or not. You said that you can't beat these times without a wheel. If you had a wheel I still suspect you wouldn't be able to beat them. So you are whining.

My layout is like this but this gives me the disadvantage that I'm unable to brake and throttle at the same time like Hamilton does.
Try L2/R2 for brake & throttle
Right Stick (UP/Down) to change gears.
This allows you to hold the controller comfortably with just two fingers... FPS -game positioning.

Wouldn't recommend L1/R1 as shifters; because then you need to hold 4 fingers on all rear buttons, which isn't ergonomic.
Right stick as sequential shifter is more immersive than X/Square.

IIRC few players who used right stick as throttle, reported sore thumb after longer gaming... (or even blisters):indiff:

I would say L2 and R2 for brake, throttle allow a lot of control due to the travel of the buttons, you can make adjustments when you need to. I find flicking a stick quickly particularly for more than 1 change in a row a lot of work compared to using the face buttons, for me triangle and circle for up and down. Whichever works for you.

been using the controller since the game dropped, no TCS/ ABS or driving aids.
Got all gold achieved on campain and currently all bronze on lewis challenge, no serious effort put in yet.
DS is pretty dope, been playing the game for decades without one (wheel and or pedals)....no reason to start as I am not a hardcore sim racer

Last edited:
The main problem with a controller is steering imputs.

It is difficult to put a slight steering lock on hold it, and even harder to make slight adjustments, like you can with a wheel. The tendency is to use the full lock, which is often too much and makes the car unstable. Depending on which buttons you assign, it can be the same with accelerator too, just giving full throttle when 1/4 - 1/2 is enough exiting a tight corner as example.

I sometimes find it easier to flick the steering multiple times, rather than trying to hold it steady.

Eitherway, ask Santa for a wheel.

Funny enough, this weekend I set a time trial time quickly with the DS4 on Sunday morning for Wednesday's FIA Manu race. I didn't feel like setting my wheel up. Regardless I set a 1:46.226 after about 12 laps with the DS4, later in the day when I set my wheel back up it took me 35 laps to beat that DS4 time, and I've been using the wheel almost exclusively for the last year and a half. I got within a few .01s more than few times though, and when I did finally beat it it was with a 1:46.167, and my optimal times were damn near the same. So please spare me the "wheels make you faster, DS4 is impossible" BS.

It's all in the driver, some people just won't be able to beat Hamilton's times, with or without a wheel. It's like chasing the ghost of anyone in the top 10.

EDIT: I'm not saying I'm particularly good either, I'm quite average, my point is though the input method hardly makes much of a difference

So please spare me the "wheels make you faster, DS4 is impossible" BS.

It's all in the driver, some people just won't be able to beat Hamilton's times, with or without a wheel. It's like chasing the ghost of anyone in the top 10.

EDIT: I'm not saying I'm particularly good either, I'm quite average, my point is though the input method hardly makes much of a difference

well said! I like this comment, many people on here have said the same, and it makes me glad that some people actually realize it really comes down to your driving style.

After all these years with Gran Turismo, the best layout for me, ergonomically speaking, is this one:

Shift up: L1
Shift down: L2
Throttle: R1
Brake: X

EDIT

Shift up: L1
Shift down: L2
Throttle: X
Brake: R1

Last edited:

Dear OP, you are not alone. Me with controller is also get Silver on all tracks. Didnt try to put all effort, yet.

I use a controller. I have gold on everything and diamond on three of the events so far.

This is the problem with the single player game. If they actually make it interesting and challenging, people get pissy because they have to put effort into it as if achieving the "gold" should only require minimum effort.

Silver is what an average player should be able to achieve with little effort. Gold is going to take some practice (as it should). Diamond is going to take skill and effort (again, as it should). Controller or no controller.

This "I suck but deserve to be rewarded for being awesome" mindset is why the single player portion of the game is a complete waste of time and effort. It's set up to appease the masses rather than set up to emulate real racing, where (heaven forbid) you might not win unless you are good.

I use a controller. I have gold on everything and diamond on three of the events so far.

This is the problem with the single player game. If they actually make it interesting and challenging, people get pissy because they have to put effort into it as if achieving the "gold" should only require minimum effort.

Silver is what an average player should be able to achieve with little effort. Gold is going to take some practice (as it should). Diamond is going to take skill and effort (again, as it should). Controller or no controller.

This "I suck but deserve to be rewarded for being awesome" mindset is why the single player portion of the game is a complete waste of time and effort. It's set up to appease the masses rather than set up to emulate real racing, where (heaven forbid) you might not win unless you are good.

That's not really how I'm reading many of these complaints. I don't think many are expecting to be gifted the big prizes, but I do think it's another example where PD has perhaps misjudged where it's put the goal posts. To me it's similar to the all the complaints about the 20 mill cars. As I've said countless times, I'm fine with PD putting hard to achieve stuff in the game - but beating a 6 time world F1 champ (equivalent to having to play for 50 hours to buy one car), is a bit too much of a stretch from the 'average' level the game offers, for many players.

That's not really how I'm reading many of these complaints. I don't think many are expecting to be gifted the big prizes, but I do think it's another example where PD has perhaps misjudged where it's put the goal posts. To me it's similar to the all the complaints about the 20 mill cars. As I've said countless times, I'm fine with PD putting hard to achieve stuff in the game - but beating a 6 time world F1 champ (equivalent to having to play for 50 hours to buy one car), is a bit too much of a stretch from the 'average' level the game offers, for many players.

So the "average" person is expecting to be able to lap a track faster than a professional race car driver, at the peak of his career, who has won multiple world titles at the highest level of the sport, while also racing against current and future legends of the sport?

I'll go out on a limb and say that PD likely chose some of Lewis's slower times so as to make it attainable at all.

That's not really how I'm reading many of these complaints. I don't think many are expecting to be gifted the big prizes, but I do think it's another example where PD has perhaps misjudged where it's put the goal posts.

I would say the gold level goalposts on these events are not much different to where a lot of the harder license tests and challenges were in early versions of the game (up to and including GT4).

The platinum times are a bit different - most should be doable if you’re reasonably skilled with a wheel, but only the very best pad users will beat them. Many more people have wheels nowadays, and, personally, I applaud PD putting events in to challenge these players.

GT has gotten progressively easier with each new generation since GT4... to the point it now offers no challenge to anyone averagely skilled with a wheel... virtually anyone can get all gold license tests now. Little point in even having a bronze or silver pass level.. may as well just have pass only.

People have got used to getting things in return for no real effort... and are worse off for it. Having to work to get the licenses was a great way to improve your skills (I know this from personal experience).

So the "average" person is expecting to be able to lap a track faster than a professional race car driver, at the peak of his career, who has won multiple world titles at the highest level of the sport, while also racing against current and future legends of the sport?

That isn't what I said. Where the core of the game has golds achievable by 2-3 seconds per lap, then goes on to offer a challenge where not only are the golds harder to achieve by 4-5 seconds per lap, but to get the main prize you need a couple of seconds beyond even that -- it's a BIG jump in skill level -- Too hard to offer a challenge is no better than too easy to offer a challenge, and I still maintain that diamonds on all challenges is well beyond the ability of most of the user base -- so in essence the jump PD have made with this difficulty bypasses a lot of average players (like me), who are easily able to beat the core game, but basically stand no chance with the LHTT content. Ideally there'd be something in between.

I would say the gold level goalposts on these events are not much different to where a lot of the harder license tests and challenges were in early versions of the game (up to and including GT4).

I think these are harder, personally, than old License test golds. Perhaps I should go back to AT and X & [] for throttle & brake!

Anyway, this discussion is less about controller usage and more about general difficulty. I do believe that a wheel will help me push further than I can with a pad, but I'm still undecided as to whether Santa's going to buy me a T-GT for Christmas which would prove (or disprove) it.

That isn't what I said. Where the core of the game has golds achievable by 2-3 seconds per lap, then goes on to offer a challenge where not only are the golds harder to achieve by 4-5 seconds per lap, but to get the main prize you need a couple of seconds beyond even that -- it's a BIG jump in skill level -- Too hard to offer a challenge is no better than too easy to offer a challenge, and I still maintain that diamonds on all challenges is well beyond the ability of most of the user base -- so in essence the jump PD have made with this difficulty bypasses a lot of average players (like me), who are easily able to beat the core game, but basically stand no chance with the LHTT content. Ideally there'd be something in between.

I think these are harder, personally, than old License test golds. Perhaps I should go back to AT and X & [] for throttle & brake!

Anyway, this discussion is less about controller usage and more about general difficulty. I do believe that a wheel will help me push further than I can with a pad, but I'm still undecided as to whether Santa's going to buy me a T-GT for Christmas which would prove (or disprove) it.

There is something in between - the gold prizes, which are still very nice!

I played with a pad from GT1 to GT5. I’d say gold on these events is similar to the HARDER license tests/events - and easier than some of the very hardest ones (Viper on the corkscrew, Mission 34, or the Merc 190 DTM at Nurburgring are the ones that immediately come to mind). Some of those took weeks to pass.

If PD set the difficulty for an average pad user there’s zero challenge for anyone with a wheel.

Saying that you have "no chance" to beat this content is saying that you want it handed to you. You are expecting to be able to beat it with ease. Why? This iteration in the series suffers from being far too easy. There are countless threads about this. Making paid content easy, especially when it's touted as trying to beat Lewis Hamilton, would have been massively disappointing. Why does it need to be overcome with ease? Since GT7 won't be out for at least a year, what's the rush?

Phrasing it as "a few seconds" is a bit extreme. Maybe the Nurb challenge is "4-5 seconds" more difficult, but the others are not that extreme. None the less, anyone who is worth their salt in this game should be able to achieve gold. FULL STOP.

The better players are achieving gold in a handful of attempts at worst. On average it took me less than three tries to get gold on any of the tracks, with the exception of Big Willow because I rarely do races there and had to learn the track. Still, it was maybe a half dozen attempts. Achieving diamond status is where the game has value for me, because it's going to take the better part of 2020 to get diamond on all the tracks (I have 3 so far).

If you aren't getting gold, you aren't trying hard enough to learn the game in general.

Saying that you have "no chance" to beat this content is saying that you want it handed to you. You are expecting to be able to beat it with ease. Why?

Huh?

Saying I have no chance means I accept my limits, nothing more.

Phrasing it as "a few seconds" is a bit extreme. Maybe the Nurb challenge is "4-5 seconds" more difficult, but the others are not that extreme. None the less, anyone who is worth their salt in this game should be able to achieve gold. FULL STOP.

Yeah, fortunately for gamers in general your FULL STOP has no value to anyone but your own interpretation of the game.

On average it took me less than three tries to get gold on any of the tracks, with the exception of Big Willow because I rarely do races there and had to learn the track. Still, it was maybe a half dozen attempts. Achieving diamond status is where the game has value for me, because it's going to take the better part of 2020 to get diamond on all the tracks (I have 3 so far

And? You are not representative of all players. Just because you haven't struggled it doesn't mean there isn't a significant gap between where the game has been in terms of difficulty, and where the new TT's are.

Huh?

Saying I have no chance means I accept my limits, nothing more.

Your limits? Or the limits on your willingness to get better?

And just as you think it's unreasonable to have to become better at the game to achieve these goals, I think it's underwhelming to have such low goals in the rest of the game.

It's not an achievement if there is no effort in achieving it.

And? You are not representative of all players. Just because you haven't struggled it doesn't mean there isn't a significant gap between where the game has been in terms of difficulty, and where the new TT's are

The rest of the game is a departure from the previous iterations in the series and it's worse of for it. You are likewise not representative of all players, especially the players that lament the ease of the single player game, of which there are many.

Yeah, fortunately for gamers in general your FULL STOP has no value to anyone but your own interpretation of the game.

Really? And your interpretation that achievements should be mundane in nature is similarly your own.

Haven't you noticed all the talk about how "dirty" other drivers are in Sport Mode? it's a pretty significant issue. If achieving gold is truly THAT difficult, than the real problem in Sport Mode isn't people playing dirty, it's people unable to play the game properly, which has been my contention for a long time.

Last edited:
Your limits? Or the limits on your willingness to get better?

My limits, I like to remain realistic. Realistic > optimistic > delusional. If you believe we can all be champion of the world at everything, then crack on and good luck at the FIAGTC world finals next time around.

And just as you think it's unreasonable to have to become better at the game to achieve these goals,

Again, I didn't say that. You keep responding to things I haven't said.

You are likewise not representative of all players,

I'm not the one that's basing my opinion on difficulty on my personal ability, you are. I'm basing it on the discrepancy between the campaign mode as was, and the DLC.

Really? And your interpretation that achievements should be mundane in nature is similarly your own.

I recognise that what classes as an achievement for one person, is not the same as it does for someone else. Your opinion seems to be, I think I can do it therefore it must be about right for everyone.

Haven't you noticed all the talk about how "dirty" other drivers are in Sport Mode? it's a pretty significant issue. If achieving gold is truly THAT difficult, than the real problem in Sport Mode isn't people playing dirty, it's people unable to play the game properly, which has been my contention for a long time.

I notice a seemingly bottomless pit of people complaining about penalties, yes. But, I'm not sure what your point is? Slow doesn't equal dirty.... ****ish behavior equals dirty.... and other people being ****s is half the reason I rarely bother with online gaming. It's becoming clearer though what your attitude towards lesser skilled players is.

I do believe that a wheel will help me push further than I can with a pad, but I'm still undecided as to whether Santa's going to buy me a T-GT for Christmas which would prove (or disprove) it.
I think it really depends on the person. I was working on the Willow challenge this morning, with both my controller, and my wheel. The best I could do with the wheel was 1.5 seconds slower than the controller. However, I do have way more controller time than wheel time.
The funny thing is that at this point, my steering control with the wheel is awful compared to the left stick of the controller. :lol:

My limits, I like to remain realistic. Realistic > optimistic > delusional. If you believe we can all be champion of the world at everything, then crack on and good luck at the FIAGTC world finals next time around.

Ok, so because I can achieve something that is demonstrably mediocre in the grand scheme of things, then I am all of a sudden delusional? Lewis Hamilton is a world champion, so I sincerely doubt that the ghost is actually representative of his ability compared to ours. If I can achieve a diamond time, then that is the time that they feel is achievable by a regular player.

You can't even achieve something that simply takes some practice. You'd rather be rewarded for simply showing up.

Again, I didn't say that. You keep responding to things I haven't said.

Actually you did. I responded to you implying that my view wasn't representative of the player base as a whole, which is an assumption on your part. You view is similarly not representative.

I'm not the one that's basing my opinion on difficulty on my personal ability, you are. I'm basing it on the discrepancy between the campaign mode as was, and the DLC.

And that discrepancy is unique to this iteration. Previous campaigns were a challenge. It was a tenant of the franchise.

I recognise that what classes as an achievement for one person, is not the same as it does for someone else. Your opinion seems to be, I think I can do it therefore it must be about right for everyone.

You opinion is the utter opposite. Your view seems to be that if it can't be achieved with minimal effort, then it must be too difficult.

"Gold standard" is meant to signify an exemplary effort. If anyone can pull it off in one shot, then it isn't really a gold standard is it? You are arguing for what amounts to an award based on purchase. You paid money, ergo, you should get the prize.

I notice a seemingly bottomless pit of people complaining about penalties, yes. But, I'm not sure what your point is? Slow doesn't equal dirty.... ****ish behavior equals dirty.... and other people being ****s is half the reason I rarely bother with online gaming. It's becoming clearer though what your attitude towards lesser skilled players is.

People who lack even the most basic skills do dumb things and then blame everyone else. They stop early, turn in when they shouldn't, take terrible lines, etc, etc, etc, etc.

Newsflash, I am an average player. I won't make it to a championship. I won't even make it to the bottom of the grid against people who are only somewhat decent. If you don't even want to try to be better, then why should you be rewarded?

I realize I'm not a great racer maybe just average but the DLC with a controller is just handicaped.

I don't know how you can play a racing game with comptroller, i mean steering wheel is completely another story. Actually you can buy an entry level steering wheel and pedal set with 100 $, maybe less if you find a promotion or buy in black friday. Save money, don't go out for a pizza two times and you will have a lot of fun, trust me. Thrustmaster T150 is a good entry level product and cost less 100$.

First day trying the LH TTs today and I’ve managed four diamonds out of four tracks I’ve attempted so far, albeit perhaps on the easiest tracks, according to what I’ve read, Monza, Interlagos, Dragon Trail and Brands Hatch. Brands was quite tricky though given how narrow the track is and consequently how easy it is slide off and/or touch the grass. Lewis’ time is really smooth but seems a tiny bit off particularly at Stirlings where you can gain a couple tenths if you nail it.

I’m a DS4 user.

I think it really depends on the person. I was working on the Willow challenge this morning, with both my controller, and my wheel. The best I could do with the wheel was 1.5 seconds slower than the controller. However, I do have way more controller time than wheel time.
The funny thing is that at this point, my steering control with the wheel is awful compared to the left stick of the controller. :lol:

Exactly. It's just time. Time and effort.

I mean, what were PD thinking by rewarding the people who have put the most time and effort into getting good at the game? /s :dopey::dopey:

I can easily silver them all, but gold will take some time. I am much faster in some areas, but Hamilton exceeds in other areas.

Two things people dont seem to mention much or at all in this thread... if you pay money for something people kind of feel like there should be some immediate reward...

The way I look at that is when Forza used to release a car pack for say $10 a month... and then you still had to use in game credits to buy the car itself. The changed in Forza 5 (I think) - you pay the fee you get the car.

I can understand why some people may feel like they paid $10 to get humilated humbled.

2ndly and this is important... its come out that PD did these times based on an older drive model.

If you're competing on a current more complex drive model on someone who posted them on an old model then that's not a level playing field in any way you cut it.

I get that people should "git gud" but when you're putting people behind the ball like this...

Back