Mercedes teases "Vision GT concept"

• Thread starter Ranman20
  • 395 comments
Such a surprise to see it drive IRL. Can't imagine it could turn without the tyres rubbing up against the ridiculous wheel arch clearance.
You're surprised that Mercedes engineers designed a car that actually works? Now that's a surprise that you're surprised. :sly:

I was upset too... until I drove the car on Brands Hatch. What a great drive. I didn't even care that the interior was a black silhouette. :lol:

MERCEDES-BENZ VISION GT TO REACH LIMITED PRODUCTION

Limited to five units, one already sold

The Mercedes-Benz AMG Vision Gran Turismo is going to reach limited production via a custom builder who will use as foundation the SLS AMG GT.

The AMG Vision Gran Turismo will see the light of day but don't get your hopes up too high as it won't be a true production version of the stunning concept. The vehicle will be based on the 2014 SLS AMG GT but with the entire body made from carbon fibre which will shave off more than 91kg (200lb). It will ride on custom ADV.1 wheels while the exterior will feature a chrome paint job.

The custom Vision Gran Turismo is going to come with a bespoke exhaust system and a retractable rear spoiler, while the interior will be "slightly modified." Power will come from the same 6.3lt V8 inside the SLS AMG GT which develops 591HP (435kW) transferred to the wheels through an AMG DCT Speedshift seven-speed sports transmission. The standard 2014 SLS AMG GT sprints to 100kmh (62mph) in 3.7s so expect the custom version to do it 0.1 - 0.2s quicker thanks to the lower curb weight.

Only five cars will be modified and one of them has already been sold. Two units will go to Europe, two are destined to reach the Middle East while the final car will be sold in the United States. One of the four available units can be yours if you are willing to pay $1.5m, way more than the base model which costs US$201,500.

Source

No modeled interior? What a bummer... One of the things I was most locking forward too, wanted to see how the driving expierience feels like ina futuristic supercar.

Pics by me (Brands Hatch)

It's fun to drive, there was some understeer but nothing major. The interior is black but I had alot of fun driving in cockpit view regardless of that.
jbkWIPqtqkLByU.jpg

jjeV0qm6a5oGC.jpg

Ah, so we got this version of the car? What about the one with the big wing, GT logo for the stopping light and more color variation?

It's fun to drive, there was some understeer but nothing major. The interior is black but I had alot of fun driving in cockpit view regardless of that.​

Awesome. So you just got it as a "Gift" right? I haven't gifted it yet as I wasn't sure what it meant by "From the second time onwards, you will need to pay for it."

Meaning, if I want another one?

It's fun to drive, there was some understeer but nothing major. The interior is black but I had alot of fun driving in cockpit view regardless of that.
jbkWIPqtqkLByU.jpg

jjeV0qm6a5oGC.jpg

Can I post your pictures on the front page?

Photomode is Gran Turismo 7. You are watching right there how the game will actually look with all filters working properly if the game had the right hardware.

Incredible.

Photomode is Gran Turismo 7. You are watching right there how the game will actually look with all filters working properly if the game had the right hardware.

Incredible.
GT7 will look significantly better than GT6 in all respects. I agree the cars in Photo Travel will probably be the in-game models, albeit maybe with a slightly increased polygon count, but massively improved lighting will take them into a different league altogether. Photo Travel environments will certainly not be GT7 environments as they have many low-resolution textures which would be laughable on PS4.

Ah, so we got this version of the car? What about the one with the big wing, GT logo for the stopping light and more color variation?

I coudn't find the GT wing for the car anywhere. Neither in Custom Parts.

Awesome. So you just got it as a "Gift" right? I haven't gifted it yet as I wasn't sure what it meant by "From the second time onwards, you will need to pay for it."

Meaning, if I want another one?

That's correct on both assumptions. The first one is free. If you want another you have to spend a million.

There are three paint jobs available, two variants of silver and a type of matte black.

Can I post your pictures on the front page?

Sure. It's on Brands Hatch by the way.

Last edited:
GT7 will look significantly better than GT6 in all respects. I agree the cars in Photo Travel will probably be the in-game models, albeit maybe with a slightly increased polygon count, but massively improved lighting will take them into a different league altogether. Photo Travel environments will certainly not be GT7 environments as they have many low-resolution textures which would be laughable on PS4.

Yeah but the overall look will be almost there. The 2D trees can be changed for 3D trees and so on...as you said increasing polygon count but not way too much since resolution will be 1080p native and no more than that.

I think that in GT7 they should add more cars to the grid...like 24 in "regular races" and imagine a 48 grid for Nürburgring 24hs...and stuff like that...graphics will get better of course while in motion...now AA is poor, LOD distance is good but shadows and all are compromised in the process.

Don´t forget engine sounds. GT7 doesn´t need so much stuff if you think about it. ;)

I will give PD 2 months to at least get this car fully premium. :banghead:
They can't model something that might not exist beyond a sketch.

The Nissan GT-R Proto and the FT-86 II concept didn't have interior's either. So a concept not having one isn't entirely unusual for GT.

Yeah but the overall look will be almost there. The 2D trees can be changed for 3D trees and so on...as you said increasing polygon count but not way too much since resolution will be 1080p native and no more than that.

I think that in GT7 they should add more cars to the grid...like 24 in "regular races" and imagine a 48 grid for Nürburgring 24hs...and stuff like that...graphics will get better of course while in motion...now AA is poor, LOD distance is good but shadows and all are compromised in the process.

Don´t forget engine sounds. GT7 doesn´t need so much stuff if you think about it. ;)
Most of the ingredients are there alright. A bigger grid, 24 would be great for normal races as you said, but it needs new from the ground up AI to take advantage of that and provide a more realistic challenge - I for one would rather a grid of 8 challenging opponents than the 16 also-rans from GT5.

jbkWIPqtqkLByU.jpg

jjeV0qm6a5oGC.jpg

Brands Hatch looks absolutely amazing

This render was not done in GT6, it's even possible that they have to completely re-model it for the game, including animations and working gauges. Stuff like that takes time and it seems like either PD, Mercedes or both wanted to add the car day 1, no matter what.
It would seem that way indeed.

Back