Modified Track Path Editor + Tracks/Discussion

Is there any way to get the turn radius to have a full smooth progression? Currently in my test it's jumping from a radius of 11 then doesn't change till it goes to 0, when the desired result would be 6 or 7.

EDIT: It does look like you can get a bit more by reducing the track width but there is still a jump of 6 or 7 meters to 0.

It sticks to the minimum turn radius. You can't go lower than that without getting folded barriers. The 0 meter radius should only be used when the angle is very shallow (a few degrees at most).

If you want to change the minimum turn radius you'll have to edit the Python file. I believe the variable is called radMin, just set it to 0. Keep in mind that the smaller the radius, the shorter the distance of the turn. When approaching distances close to zero you can get severe glitches in track appearance and track functionality.

It sticks to the minimum turn radius. You can't go lower than that without getting folded barriers. The 0 meter radius should only be used when the angle is very shallow (a few degrees at most).

If you want to change the minimum turn radius you'll have to edit the Python file. I believe the variable is called radMin, just set it to 0. Keep in mind that the smaller the radius, the shorter the distance of the turn. When approaching distances close to zero you can get severe glitches in track appearance and track functionality.
Still I'd rather make it accurate and fix it later, lots of those from what I found are pretty conservative.

@eran0004 Would I have to use your layout creator to use shortened S/F line?
Along with my touge project. I'm also going to do a famous race circuit from my home state, Summit Point Raceway. I already have the .gpx and .kml files.

@eran0004 Would I have to use your layout creator to use shortened S/F line?
Along with my touge project. I'm also going to do a famous race circuit from my home state, Summit Point Raceway. I already have the .gpx and .kml files.

You can add the short start later on with hex editing, but it might be more convenient to use the layout creator since it calculates the position of the startline automatically.

Last edited:
You can add the short start later on with hex editing, but it might be more convenient to use the layout creater since it calculates the position of the startline automatically.
Nice, because Summit Point isn't a hard track to make, just a short one. I've been wanting to create it since I first started using the TPE.

It's done.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/resources/monza-1960-rm-edition.5905/

Due to FIA safety rules the pits are shut (terrible condition) & barriers have been put into place on the S/F straight to avoid collisions.

Known issues: for some strange reason you have to do 2 full laps to record a time (in practice or time trial starting from pits only) other than that arcade & online works perfectly.

It's done.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/resources/monza-1960-rm-edition.5905/

Due to FIA safety rules the pits are shut (terrible condition) & barriers have been put into place on the S/F straight to avoid collisions.

Known issues: for some strange reason you have to do 2 full laps to record a time (in practice or time trial starting from pits only) other than that arcade & online works perfectly.

After doing some quick research, it turns out they still use the Oval for the Monza Rally.
15337276_1853014831594710_4759776228800462848_n.jpg

pirelli-monza-rally.JPG

What all of it or parts of it ?

That's quite intriguing really as I thought it had got abandoned & got overgrown with nature.

They should really tidy it up a bit & use it for a sort of festival of speed thingy :)

What all of it or parts of it ?

That's quite intriguing really as I thought it had got abandoned & got overgrown with nature.

They should really tidy it up a bit & use it for a sort of festival of speed thingy :)

Apparently, other from the rally, it's still used for small time events. The quality of the banked curves are better than I expected. I am very pleased to see it still in use.

So my PS3 broke again, luckily i got a 6 months guarantee, so if they don't fix it this time, i'm gonna get my money back and just save for a PS4.

I'm writing a new savefile format for the track layout creator (since the polygon files doesn't store information about road width, camber, scene, etc.) and it's a pretty slim format. Just did my first test save and the file size for the 5 km long track that I saved is 236 bytes.

That means that you can fit about 6000 tracks on one of these:

verbatim-87410-diskette.jpg

:eek:

Edit: The smallest theoretical save file is 18 bytes. 6 bytes for the header and 12 bytes for the two points needed to build the track (would be a completely straight track point-to-point track). That would require building my own byte formats for the header and using half precision floats for the points data so I'm not sure that it would be such a good idea... Maybe I'll go down that path when my computer starts running out of disk space :P

Last edited:
Track Layout Creator 1.8

Changes:
  • New savefile format introduced: *.trk. This file contains the polygon data and all the track settings as well. Previously tracks could only be saved as polygons, which only kept a record of the actual polygon data. The polygon *.pgn file can still be used, as it's format of comma-separated values makes it an easy way to import polygons made with other applications.
  • Minimum number of points needed to draw a track has changed to 2 for point-to-point tracks (remains at 3 points for circuits).
  • The circuit toggle has changed to a checkbutton and been moved from the edit menu to the left panel.
  • Various graphics tweaks. Changed some tk widgets to ttk widgets and added a small icon to the window (I don't think it will be displayed on Mac or Linux though). For those of you who can't see it, you're not missing out on much, here is what it looks like: windowicon.png

Track Layout Creator 1.8

Changes:
  • New savefile format introduced: *.trk. This file contains the polygon data and all the track settings as well. Previously tracks could only be saved as polygons, which only kept a record of the actual polygon data. The polygon *.pgn file can still be used, as it's format of comma-separated values makes it an easy way to import polygons made with other applications.
  • Minimum number of points needed to draw a track has changed to 2 for point-to-point tracks (remains at 3 points for circuits).
  • The circuit toggle has changed to a checkbutton and been moved from the edit menu to the left panel.
  • Various graphics tweaks. Changed some tk widgets to ttk widgets and added a small icon to the window (I don't think it will be displayed on Mac or Linux though). For those of you who can't see it, you're not missing out on much, here is what it looks like: View attachment 642514
Nice!
So far I got it to run on my PC. Now I'm going to try creating a small road course.

Hey @eran0004 When using your elevation editor. I got my .ted file to load. Yet, it won't let me Import the elevation profile .txt file I have.

The elevation profile needs to be in this format:

header
distance,elevation
distance,elevation
distance,elevation
etc.

Are you on Windows or Linux?

Love playing around with the Track Layout Creator. Regarding the elevation editor, is there an easy way to flatten an Andalusia track with the click of just one or two buttons. Is there a chance that someone on here can do a youtube video of using these editors. I cannot get the master editor working at all, and assume this is needed to decorate the tracks. I would love to see this editor in action to see just what i am missing out on.. Thanks to everyone for their wonderful efforts :)

Love playing around with the Track Layout Creator. Regarding the elevation editor, is there an easy way to flatten an Andalusia track with the click of just one or two buttons. Is there a chance that someone on here can do a youtube video of using these editors. I cannot get the master editor working at all, and assume this is needed to decorate the tracks. I would love to see this editor in action to see just what i am missing out on.. Thanks to everyone for their wonderful efforts :)

Click on Contrast and set the factor to 0 to flatten the entire track.

Decoration has to be done manually, I think. The easiest way is using the 010 Editor and @NingDynasty 's templates. @Mr Grumpy made a list with the lengths and other detail of the decorations. You can find them in the toolbox thread: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/course-maker-toolbox.352281/

Click on Contrast and set the factor to 0 to flatten the entire track.

Decoration has to be done manually, I think. The easiest way is using the 010 Editor and @NingDynasty 's templates. @Mr Grumpy made a list with the lengths and other detail of the decorations. You can find them in the toolbox thread: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/course-maker-toolbox.352281/

What would really help would be adding the actual length of the decoration objects within it's total length. Someone want to test this out and update Mr Grumpy's data?

Back