Modified Track Path Editor + Tracks/Discussion

Strange both you & eran feel the bumpyness, I hardly notice it even when using a loan GT500 car in arcade.
Maybe I'm used to it what with going round & round countless times while building it.

I'll look into it before I release it.

I felt it with my Lotus Elise '96 on stock suspension. It feels like it's camber bumps rather than elevation bumps, so increasing the mesh resolution should improve it.

Are you using the narrow road there by any chance? If you do, keep in mind that the native length of those segments are 50 meters (although the notes says 100, but that is incorrect), so if you make them 100 meters you get half the mesh resolution.

I felt it with my Lotus Elise '96 on stock suspension. It feels like it's camber bumps rather than elevation bumps, so increasing the mesh resolution should improve it.

Are you using the narrow road there by any chance? If you do, keep in mind that the native length of those segments are 50 meters (although the notes says 100, but that is incorrect), so if you make them 100 meters you get half the mesh resolution.
I'll add 6 extra road sections, 4 for the loop backs & 2 for the tunnel. I forgot I used narrow roads there to bring the tunnel walls closer together.

Edit: new version available to test, over 1.5 seconds faster a lap due to smoothed out banked corners/tunnel. Thanks to @eran0004 & @VelociRaptor for pointing out the bumpy bits :cheers:

Last edited:
Added the camber axis function to the decoration editor, so that it can be used on ted files.

Here is how to use it:

Code:
>>> Track = loadTed()
>>> camber_axis(Track, -1)
>>> exportTed(Track)

When calling camber_axis() you can set the second argument to any value you want, but -1 is the inside of the corner, 0 is the center and 1 is the outside of the corner.

I'll add 6 extra road sections, 4 for the loop backs & 2 for the tunnel. I forgot I used narrow roads there to bring the tunnel walls closer together.

Edit: new version available to test, over 1.5 seconds faster a lap due to smoothed out banked corners/tunnel. Thanks to @eran0004 & @VelociRaptor for pointing out the bumpy bits :cheers:

Just tested it and it's much smoother now!

Attachments

• Decoration Editor 0.1.2.zip
    10.5 KB · Views: 17
Got a test room open for the new Juan Fangio Autodrome before general release.
I'm about to download it right as I'm typing now. You have done a really great work on this MrGrumpy;), it's beautiful. Thanks for making this, and thanks for keeping making them, keep them coming. :cheers:. By the way, I'm downloading it from your community page:tup:

I'm about to download it right as I'm typing now. You have done a really great work on this MrGrumpy;), it's beautiful. Thanks for making this, and thanks for keeping making them, keep them coming. :cheers:. By the way, I'm downloading it from your community page:tup:
I'm just about to release it :)

Edit: It's live, enjoy :)

Edit again: @eran0004 do you use the reduce flicker option ? As I was just watching your latest replay & it judders alot (as if the frame rate was being restricted)

Edit again again lol: @gt6champnk69 thanks for the review mate :cheers: I enjoy spending the time to create these tracks so that you guys can enjoy em.

Only got 6 more figure of 8 tracks left to RM.
1. Fukuroi
2. Fiorano
3. Costello
4. San Martin
5. Copello
6. Everland

Then I can start the normal 1's like Istanbul & Donington

Last edited:
You can load gps coordinates though, with the benefit of not having to worry about the scale or the rotation of the image. Here is Silverstone, for instance, the track length is accurate down to 0.2%. Took about 10 minutes to create this, including getting the gps path from http://www.geocontext.org/publ/2010/04/profiler/en/
http://www.geocontext.org/publ/2010/04/profiler/en/
I need to check how to do that.
I use GeoContext to extract the elevation profile and then apply it with Elevation Editor (with correction to re-align the profile longitudinaly).
I did not know that the GPS track coordinates could be extracted and applied.
Can you tell me please how to extract GPS coordinates for a track path from GeoContext site ?
I have drawn a track for which i got the elevation profile, how to get the plots coordinates as well ?

Can you tell me please how to extract GPS coordinates for a track path from GeoContext site ?
I have drawn a track for which i got the elevation profile, how to get the plots coordinates as well ?

Just check the box for Latitue / Longitude, copy the data (including the header line), paste it in a text document and save the file as filename.csv

Skärmbild (68).png

Just check the box for Latitue / Longitude, copy the data (including the header line), paste it in a text document and save the file as filename.csv
Arghhh ! :embarrassed:
i always use the scientific view and just change to csv for saving data.
The latitude/longitude checkbox is only visible in the csv view.
Thank you, i am going to try it today.

Just check the box for Latitude / Longitude, copy the data (including the header line), paste it in a text document and save the file as filename.csv
Thank you, i am going to try it today.
Ok i am on the process, trying to give you some feedback as i proceed if you don't mind respectfully of what i understand from the editor capabilities.

First is that i had to go inside the file 'readfile_2.py' to understand what where the expected files extensions (could help if you just add them between parenthesis in the menu, mine was 'txt' instead of 'csv').
I had the same issue the other day with track extension.

I am trying to use 'Andalusia' canvas for the first time and looking for a convenient location.
It could help a lot if you used the same color coding when drawing the track along the plots as the altitude lines (i try to simplify my process).
Color should be in delta from bottom to top altitude of the track (as the profile can be high above the terrain at first, modifying it to bring it to -156 is easily doable if simpler)

It could help a lot if you used the same color coding when drawing the track along the plots as the altitude lines (i try to simplify my process).
Color should be in delta from bottom to top altitude of the track (as the profile can be high above the terrain at first, modifying it to bring it to -156 is easily doable if simpler)

Rectifying my question now that i understand better.
The imported track can't be moved, so the created track should be color coded (Edit : by an option box).

Another suggestion, is to identify the first/last point by a different color on the imported profile. This would help to identify the start line position with precision.

Rectifying my question now that i understand better.
The imported track can't be moved, so the created track should be color coded (Edit : by an option box).

Yeah, that's been an issue when recreating courses. It's not major. Just, sometimes I wish I could move my course to use the natural terrain to help match the scenery.
Also, is there anyway I can build courses outside the scenery boundaries like the old TPE?

Ok i am on the process, trying to give you some feedback as i proceed if you don't mind respectfully of what i understand from the editor capabilities.
@eran0004 : i don't understand clearly the behaviour of 'Short Straight' checkbox.
It seems to also narrow the full track like activating 'TIGHT_ROAD' everywhere ?

Edit 1 : When a line is dashed or solid, what does it mean ?

Edit 2 : The start line length seems to be 700m long. Shouldn't it be 600m ?

I have different behaviours for polygon points inside the editor.
Some are on the track while others are rounding corners as tangents.
Polygon Points Behaviour.png

How to configure polygon points behaviour ?

I am in a learning process !

Last edited:
@eran0004 : i don't understand clearly the behaviour of 'Short Straight' checkbox.
It seems to also narrow the full track like activating 'TIGHT_ROAD' everywhere ?

I have different behaviours for polygon points inside the editor.
Some are on the track while others are rounding corners as tangents.
View attachment 644819
How to configure polygon points behaviour ?

The Short Straight uses the point to point start segment that contains the start line. The rest of the track is filled with narrow road.

The behaviour you see is the same for all polygon points. The corners of the polygon are rounded based on the turn radius. your top point is an R 0, i.e. the radius is 0 meters. Your mid point is a radius 48 and the bottom point is a radius 56.

Don't place the polygon points on the track, instead align the lines between the polygon points to the straights and then increase or decrease the turn radius until it matches.

Compare with this screenshot of Silverstone, you can see how I have positioned the polygon points so that the lines align with the straights.

silverstone.png

You change the turn radius by right-clicking on a polygon point and dragging up or down. The radius is limited by the distance to the next polygon point or by the distance to the end of the previous turn, whichever is nearest.

The Short Straight uses the point to point start segment that contains the start line. The rest of the track is filled with narrow road.
--> understood. Clear.

The behaviour you see is the same for all polygon points. The corners of the polygon are rounded based on the turn radius. your top point is an R 0, i.e. the radius is 0 meters.
--> understood

You change the turn radius by right-clicking on a polygon point and dragging up or down. The radius is limited by the distance to the next polygon point or by the distance to the end of the previous turn, whichever is nearest.
--> Understood but does not work on my Mac.
Right clicking on a polygon point and moving the mouse does nothing or i do it wrong

--> Understood but does not work on my Mac.
Right clicking on a polygon point and moving the mouse does nothing or i do it wrong

I'm starting to develop an irrational hatred towards Mac :P

Go to line 2572 to 2574 in Track Layout Creator 2.0.py and substitute "<Button-3>", "<B3-Motion>" and "<ButtonRelease-3>" with "<Button-2>", "<B2-Motion>" and "<ButtonRelease-2>", so that it looks like this:

w.bind("<Button-2>", rightClick)
w.bind("<B2-Motion>", b3Motion)
w.bind("<ButtonRelease-2>", b3Release)

Only change what's inside the <> tags.

I'm starting to develop an irrational hatred towards Mac :P

Go to line 2572 to 2574 in Track Layout Creator 2.0.py and substitute "<Button-3>", "<B3-Motion>" and "<ButtonRelease-3>" with "<Button-2>", "<B2-Motion>" and "<ButtonRelease-2>", so that it looks like this:

w.bind("<Button-2>", rightClick)
w.bind("<B2-Motion>", b3Motion)
w.bind("<ButtonRelease-2>", b3Release)

Only change what's inside the <> tags.
Great 👍 it works !
You are the king :cheers:.

Compare with this screenshot of Silverstone, you can see how I have positioned the polygon points so that the lines align with the straights.

The radius is limited by the distance to the next polygon point or by the distance to the end of the previous turn, whichever is nearest.
Well i have spent some time learning the editor.
I was successful in completing a first track.
Circuit de Pau - 2.png

It’s a good tool :bowdown: that requires to set your mind to polygon usage.
You need to work simultaneously with 2 dimensions (point and radius) that may not be so easy to handle for everybody. If you have not got a little straight segment between 2 polygons, several corners design can move at the same time. That drove me crazy before I understood the principle.

I have restarted 3 times to get used to it (and thank you for the right button patch).
You can quickly end up with a lot of tangent points.

The hairpin (4) was very difficult to design with the tool as the corner was going from 12 to 0 radius on its own while I had no clue why. I suppose it’s a computation feasibility problem of the corner but without any advice very difficult to correct.

Now coming back to my feedback :
  • The tremendous advantage of the editor is the conversion from GeoContext real world to GT6 system.
    Unfortunately, there is no option (or I have not found) to preserve the entered elevation data as the track is set on the canvas. This would be very usefull for real world replica.
    Workaround : Post-Edit track with TED Editor.
  • Second big advantage is the ability to move the track all around the scene to find a good spot. A big improvement would be to colorize the created track based on altitude data relative to an offset value that could be then substracted from the entered data (the goal is not to recreate elevation editor but simply to move up and down the track as the good spot depends on slopes and might not be on the lowest altutude).
    Workaround : none
  • I like the corners count algorithm and display.
I have still to play with the banking settings as when chaining 2/3 turns in a row, you see the banking left/right/left when using the default value.

Concerning the GUI, here is some feedback about details from my recent experience:
  • First of all, the lateral text size should be adjustable.
    My iMac screen resolution is 2560x1440.
    The text is barely readable.
  • I don’t know if python has built-in feature for tooltips but your tools in the icon bar could display their behavior advantageously. Anyway, I finally found the description in the spoiler of the editor download page.
  • An undo last command is a must as retrieving the previous configuration with polygons is not easy.
  • I had to fight with corners changing their radius setting to 0 radius.
    Without Undo and knowledge of root cause, I was close to give-up at one moment :banghead:. I don’t know a good answer but locking corner radius to a min value seems to me more acceptable than going to 0.
  • The precision of the track width slider did not allowed me to set 14m. I was at 13.95 or 14.05 (not the screen resolution neither the mouse resolution cause).

• Edit : The start line length is locked to 600m. The one of this track is not working due to the turn at the end of it. Anyway, my experience is that reducing start line length up to 450m and even 400m still works. We should get some flexibility on this point.
Very Good job 👍 with a lot of potential.

• Second big advantage is the ability to move the track all around the scene to find a good spot. A big improvement would be to colorize the created track based on altitude data relative to an offset value that could be then substracted from the entered data (the goal is not to recreate elevation editor but simply to move up and down the track as the good spot depends on slopes and might not be on the lowest altutude).
    Workaround : none

There is no way to change the colour of individual pixels, as it's all vector graphics.

• First of all, the lateral text size should be adjustable.
    My iMac screen resolution is 2560x1440.
    The text is barely readable.

Go to line 378 in layoutClasses.py:

myfont_a = ('Arial', 8)

Change the 8 to whatever size you want.

• I don’t know if python has built-in feature for tooltips but your tools in the icon bar could display their behavior advantageously. Anyway, I finally found the description in the spoiler of the editor download page.

Tkinter doesn't have that. But I guess it's possible to make a label for that.

• I had to fight with corners changing their radius setting to 0 radius.
    Without Undo and knowledge of root cause, I was close to give-up at one moment :banghead:. I don’t know a good answer but locking corner radius to a min value seems to me more acceptable than going to 0.

The radius is free until you reach the minimum value, and then it snaps to that. You can unsnap it and go below, and at that point it snaps to 0. Having a 0 radius is useful when you have very subtle direction changes which would make too short corners.

• The precision of the track width slider did not allowed me to set 14m. I was at 13.95 or 14.05 (not the screen resolution neither the mouse resolution cause).

If you click to the side of the button instead of dragging it you can adjust it one step at the time.

• Edit : The start line length is locked to 600m. The one of this track is not working due to the turn at the end of it. Anyway, my experience is that reducing start line length up to 450m and even 400m still works. We should get some flexibility on this point.
Very Good job 👍 with a lot of potential.

Andalusia (and I think Death Valley as well) can handle curved S/F straights. For Eifel you just have to make sure that the S/F straight is at least 450 meters, so that it covers the length of the pit wall. If you want to change the scale of the pit roads you'll have to do that manually in 010 editor.

There is no way to change the colour of individual pixels, as it's all vector graphics.
Is drawing colored reference track possible (should be plot to plot segments) ?

First of all, the lateral text size
myfont_a = ('Arial', 12) --> tried and perfect fit

If you click to the side of the button instead of dragging it you can adjust it one step at the time.
Learning, learning --> did it.

That is possible, but I have to figure something out for moving and rotating the reference data.
I am ongoing in my learning process.
Once you got the principle of polygons, its quite fast to build a track (took me half an hour to rebuild Nogaro Circuit with correct orientation) 👍.
Real life track ploting is really great.

I am trying to get on the right process :
1) Map the track with GeoContext
2) Save Plotted coordinates and Elevation in a file with csv extension
3) Import Reference in Track Editor
  • The place where Reference is loaded is important as in TED editor, only lower right quarter of canvzs can be used for mapping
  • Moving the reference inside the canvas manually is not totally secure as it's not a repetitive process. Mastering the new coordinates would be important
4) Build the polygon track
5) Move the track wherever it fits canvas profile (useful only for non flat canvas)
  • If feature 3) is not available
5) Save as track with trk file extension
  • option to use 'canvas elevation' or 'Reference elevation' with +/- offset should be great
6) Export to Ted file for further modifications

7) Open in TED Editor for elevation profile smoothing

8) Open 010 Editor for Decoration (for the moment, i have not tested the Decoration Editor still)

9) enjoy !

Despite the missing features with dots, this should be the right process.

One additionnal question is :
Is elevation Editor meant to be used as a stand-alone application able to open .ted files or does it require TED Editor ?

One additionnal question is :
Is elevation Editor meant to be used as a stand-alone application able to open .ted files or does it require TED Editor ?
I have used it stand-alone - there won't be a top down view of the layout but sometimes that makes no difference.

I am ongoing in my learning process.
Once you got the principle of polygons, its quite fast to build a track (took me half an hour to rebuild Nogaro Circuit with correct orientation) 👍.
Real life track ploting is really great.

I am trying to get on the right process :
1) Map the track with GeoContext

Tip, you can plot the route on Google maps, like you would an A to B route. Then, take the URL from the address bar. Plug it in to https://mapstogpx.com/
Then you can simply upload the .GPX to GeContext to retreve the numbers. That way you don't have to spend time plotting on GeoContext or GeoProfiler (Unless it's not plotted on Google maps, then you have to manually plot it out.).

@eran0004 I wonder if there is a way to change the color or size of the reference points in the TLC? The dark blue dots are nice, yet cause me to put too much strain on my eyes when plotting out a route.

@eran0004 I wonder if there is a way to change the color or size of the reference points in the TLC? The dark blue dots are nice, yet cause me to put too much strain on my eyes when plotting out a route.

Line 1180: Change size to whatever size you want it to be.

In w.create_rectangle, change fill to the RGB colour code you want. The format is "#000000", for example "#F0B2C7". Don't forget the quotation marks.

Code:
 size = 1
    for point in reference_path:
        #reference_parent adds an offset to the position
        x = point[0]+reference_parent[0]
        y = point[1]+reference_parent[1]
        w.create_rectangle(x*zoom-size, y*-zoom-size, x*zoom+size, y*-zoom+size, width=0, fill = DARK_BLUE, tag=('reference', 'canvas'))

Line 1180: Change size to whatever size you want it to be.

In w.create_rectangle, change fill to the RGB colour code you want. The format is "#000000", for example "#F0B2C7". Don't forget the quotation marks.

Code:
 size = 1
    for point in reference_path:
        #reference_parent adds an offset to the position
        x = point[0]+reference_parent[0]
        y = point[1]+reference_parent[1]
        w.create_rectangle(x*zoom-size, y*-zoom-size, x*zoom+size, y*-zoom+size, width=0, fill = DARK_BLUE, tag=('reference', 'canvas'))

Thankyou! :D Now it's much easier to plot routes.

I have a suggestion for Track Layout Creator for road generation.
In the current situation, only Road segments are generated.
The actual behaviour is to use 'Road Length Factor' to generate a constant sized texture.
Anyway corners are also filled with road segments.

It should be helpful and a good basis for futher personnal tuning, to fill corners with Right/Left Turns signs.
When performing track trial, it's also hard to drive without any reference points along the road.

Ye, I just built Hakone Nanamagari and the hairpins are kinda sketchy in some points. Plus, I'm not sure how the camber angle affects the road. Is it to apply banking to the curve? Same with Sectors, Corner Threshold and Road Length factor.

Back