Modified Track Path Editor + Tracks/Discussion

When building a track. Does the road width count the grass shoulders on the side? Or does it just measure the width of the pavement?

When building a track. Does the road width count the grass shoulders on the side? Or does it just measure the width of the pavement?
The pavement can be made almost invisible and that is the variable for it, I think. It would be closer to 0 than 0.1 m.

The pavement can be made almost invisible and that is the variable for it, I think. It would be closer to 0 than 0.1 m.
I think I see what you're saying.
I just want to know if it's the pavement the number stands for.
For example. I make a road 20 ft wide. Does the TLC and TPE make the pavement 20 feet wide? Or is the whole width (wall to wall) 20 feet wide?

I just want to know if it's the pavement the number stands for.
For example. I make a road 20 ft wide. Does the TLC and TPE make the pavement 20 feet wide? Or is the whole width (wall to wall) 20 feet wide?
Well, I didn't mention the walls because I do not know what determines that distance, but it occurs to me that it has to be dynamic because the variation in road width is not trivial.

I think I got the Track Layout Creator (2.0) to work in Debian now. It was my track authoring of 15 seconds that was less than ideal.

So I had compiled (built) Python 3.6.1 some time ago, but after upgrading to Debian 9.0 the module numpy is now good, so that is now in a stable package. Python is still 3.5.3, hence the need to compile. You can tell that numpy is too old if the program starts but there will be errors upon saving anything. I guess it would work without the OS upgrade.

@eran0004 @Mr Grumpy, I'm building another touge. Although I'm currently faced with an old issue when it comes to tight hairpins.
The issue occurs when I have to layout a hairpin turn on a narrow switchback.
IMG_20170713_165822902.jpg

IMG_20170713_165856932.jpg

I don't know what to do to get the ground slope to cut back to expose the road to at least the pavement edge to allow room for both lanes. How would I go about doing that without reworking the layout by spreading the hairpin apart?

@eran0004 @Mr Grumpy, I'm building another touge. Although I'm currently faced with an old issue when it comes to tight hairpins.
The issue occurs when I have to layout a hairpin turn on a narrow switchback.
View attachment 660140
View attachment 660141
I don't know what to do to get the ground slope to cut back to expose the road to at least the pavement edge to allow room for both lanes. How would I go about doing that without reworking the layout by spreading the hairpin apart?
You need to replace the normal road segments with the reduced width road segments in them area's.
Note: it doesn't reduce the tarmac width just the greenery either side by 50%

Last edited:
@Mr Grumpy I'm using the narrow straight option in @eran0004 TLC. I'm just wondering what I can do to cut that slope back? Does it require the TED editor?

This is all the options that you have:

1. Use the "narrow road" segment instead of "normal road" (010 Editor)

2. Decrease the road width.

3. Raise the lower road and/or lower the higher road.

4. Place the roads further apart.

I've been using #4 as my solution, yet takes away from the accuracy. I didn't think about adjusting elevation. Road is pretty skinny. Although, once I figure out how to operate the 010 editor, I'll start using the narrow road segment. I know that JDM--Streetracer was able to create flat highwalls in his touges. Yet, I think he's using the 010 editor or something similar.

@eran0004 I've ran the template on one of my courses. Although, I'm trying to figure out how to use @Mr Grumpy Decoration codes? Does it have anything to do with what's circled?View attachment 661311
Yes, the struct ROAD is where you can change road type & the struct DECORATION is where you add all road side objects, struct CHECKPOINT is where you move your checkpoints about, struct BANK is banking angle (obviously), struct HEADER is where you can change road width & move starting line if you want + add more points to various structs & change the theme code (mixed with struct ROAD).

Don't touch the struct CP or struct HEIGHT, CP is your track layout & the HEIGHT can be adjusted better with other tool's from @eran0004 & @Razerman.

@Mr Grumpy Thankyou :D for clarifying that. Currently, I have an un-decorated road. I want to use the "Forest Road" for the whole length (Or at the least, between the start/finish auto decorations).
Forest Road.png

When I click on "struct DECORATION decoration" It shows up blank.
Capture4.PNG

I do not know how to code in the decorations with the code list you have provided. Can you help me get started on the basics?

Can't go into to much detail atm as I'm at work but the forest road is a road structure, therefore it's under the struct ROAD tab not the deco tab.

Also I noticed you don't have any decorations on your track so to start that off under struct HEADER find the deco count (it's probably at 0 looking at your code) change that to 50 for now, then where the yellow line is on your picture (line 2670h) type in 6x blocks of 8x 0's (eg 00 00 00 00 six times).

Once that is done copy & paste the same code going down the sheet until you have 50 of them (it has to match up with the deco count in struct HEADER you see. An easy way to do this (especially when going into the 500's) is once you've pasted 10, re-copy that block of 10 & paste it 5x to get 50.

I normally place at least 1 deco on my track so it's already organised for me to duplicate.

Oh yeh forgot, once done save it & either close the editor down or reload the track so that your changes take effect.

Can't go into to much detail atm as I'm at work but the forest road is a road structure, therefore it's under the struct ROAD tab not the deco tab.

Also I noticed you don't have any decorations on your track so to start that off under struct HEADER find the deco count (it's probably at 0 looking at your code) change that to 50 for now, then where the yellow line is on your picture (line 2670h) type in 6x blocks of 8x 0's (eg 00 00 00 00 six times).

Once that is done copy & paste the same code going down the sheet until you have 50 of them (it has to match up with the deco count in struct HEADER you see. An easy way to do this (especially when going into the 500's) is once you've pasted 10, re-copy that block of 10 & paste it 5x to get 50.

I normally place at least 1 deco on my track so it's already organised for me to duplicate.

Oh yeh forgot, once done save it & either close the editor down or reload the track so that your changes take effect.
Ok, I've done that, it added room for decorations.
I also matched the road width of the S/F to that of the course. Although, I notice that the forest road is either 50 m or 100 m long, yet, under the struct ROAD road. The start and finish are 100 m and every segment in between is 40 m. Do I just place them in despite the size?

Last edited:
Ok, I've done that, it added room for decorations. And I matched the road width of the S/F to that of the course. Although, I notice that the forest road is either 50 m or 100 m long, yet, under the struct ROAD road. The start and finish are 100 m and every segment in between is 40 m. Do I just place them in despite the size?
Normally all straight roads & long curves are 100m & medium to tight bends are 50m give or take extreme conditions.
Regarding the forest road there are 3 parts (you'll notice this on the floor if you look over the barriers) part 1 is 50m, part 2 (which has multiple options) is 100m & part 3 is 50m. Remember though these are just the default lengths & you can change them to whatever you like (within reason).
As a rough guide try not to go below 20m as the track might disappear as you drive over it & try not to exceed 200m as the track mesh becomes stretched & will make your car unstable (especially on banked corners).

Just noticed on your screenshot of the road where have the barriers gone ? Is that Sierra or your track on Andalusia ?

Ok, I see. when I re loaded the file. I got this error:
"*ERROR Line 323: Template passed end of file at variable 'm_arr_Cliff'."

How many decorations did you add ? Bearing in mind 0 counts as 1, so if you have 50 decorations in the struct DECORATIONS that is actually 51 in the deco count under struct HEADER.

@Mr Grumpy I looked at it again, I had 25 instead of 50, so I changed the number to 50. The error message is gone ("Template executed successfully").
I was also able to get the forest road to work. I just gotta get it to fit around sharp turns without lapping over the barriers.
Also, which option should I use to get the decorations to appear on both sides of the track? Plus, where do I justify the distance value for each decoration? Because when I tried to place a double woods deco, it crammed it all at the very beginning on the left side.

Last edited:
@Mr Grumpy I looked at it again, I had 25 instead of 50, so I changed the number to 25. The error message is gone ("Template executed successfully").
I was also able to get the forest road to work. I just gotta get it to fit around sharp turns without lapping over the barriers.
Also, which option should I use to get the decorations to appear on both sides of the track? Plus, where do I justify the distance value for each decoration? Because when I tried to place a double woods deco, it crammed it all at the very beginning on the left side.

Some decorations have 2 codes for each side of the track, others have 1 but most of the time it's determined by rail type or track left/right.
As for lengths there should be a distance A & B bracket (I think) A is the start eg: 2100 & B is finish eg: 2200. Depending on where you want to place it on your track. (Example based on a 100m decoration placed around 2100m of your track)

All these details are in my codes list.

@Mr Grumpy Ok, I was looking at the decos for another track to see how it fits. I think I see what you mean by the distance. Would that happen to be whats circled in blue? I've found out that the red arrow point to where the deco/item code goes.
010.PNG

Although, I'm not sure as to what each option does.
"RAILTYPE"
railtype.png

And "Track_Type"
tracktype.png

@Mr Grumpy Ok, I was looking at the decos for another track to see how it fits. I think I see what you mean by the distance. Would that happen to be whats circled in blue? I've found out that the red arrow point to where the deco/item code goes.
View attachment 661504
Although, I'm not sure as to what each option does.
"RAILTYPE"
View attachment 661502
And "Track_Type"
View attachment 661503
Yes & yes. As for the rail type & track type most of the time rail type is 0 or 1 which has to work in conjunction with track type, as for the track type, A is closest to the barriers, B is farthest away & AB is both. You cannot change these, these are item specific as in you can't have a marshals tower which belongs to A & then try to put it on B.

Curbs left & right is self explanatory.

75% of the time if an item is on the left it's usually rail type 0 & 1 for the right side (again follow my codes you cant go wrong) if I have messed any up & you put a trackside object down & it appears on the wrong side just change the rail type & it should correct itself.

Last edited:
Another update :)

Track Layout Creator 2.2
  • Surface smoothing added. No need to import the track into the Elevation Editor anymore just to get rid of excessive bumps :)
  • New option: Surface smoothness. This option sets how much the elevation data will be smoothed. The range is 0 to 1, where 0 is no smoothing (like previous versions of the Track Layout Creator) and 1 is fully smoothed. I find that a value between 0.8 and 0.9 gives a nice and realistic surface.
Here is an example of a track made with Track Layout Creator 2.2. Surface smoothness was set to 0.8. Decorations were added later on.
https://www.gran-turismo.com/gb/gt6/user/#!/friend/eran0004/course/2900269/

@eran0004 I was working with your latest version of the TLC. Yet, when I go to export it to a ted file. This is the error message I get:
Exception in Tkinter callback
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Users\Swift\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python36-32\lib\tkinter\__init__.py", line 1699, in __call__
return self.func(*args)
File "C:\Users\Swift\Downloads\Track Layout Creator 2.2\Track Layout Creator 2.2.py", line 2555, in printCPS
construct_TED_data(polygon)
File "C:\Users\Swift\Downloads\Track Layout Creator 2.2\Track Layout Creator 2.2.py", line 640, in construct_TED_data
BANKS = construct_bank(CPS)
File "C:\Users\Swift\Downloads\Track Layout Creator 2.2\Track Layout Creator 2.2.py", line 180, in construct_bank
if prev_bank['global']:
KeyError: 'global'

@eran0004 I was working with your latest version of the TLC. Yet, when I go to export it to a ted file. This is the error message I get:
Exception in Tkinter callback
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Users\Swift\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python36-32\lib\tkinter\__init__.py", line 1699, in __call__
return self.func(*args)
File "C:\Users\Swift\Downloads\Track Layout Creator 2.2\Track Layout Creator 2.2.py", line 2555, in printCPS
construct_TED_data(polygon)
File "C:\Users\Swift\Downloads\Track Layout Creator 2.2\Track Layout Creator 2.2.py", line 640, in construct_TED_data
BANKS = construct_bank(CPS)
File "C:\Users\Swift\Downloads\Track Layout Creator 2.2\Track Layout Creator 2.2.py", line 180, in construct_bank
if prev_bank['global']:
KeyError: 'global'

Can you take a screenshot of the track?

Back