New Mitsubishi e-Evolution Is a New Take on the Classic Name

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 31 comments
But...

mitsubishi_pajero_evolution_1.jpg

This is mainly a perception thing. I don't see an issue with this as much as with an SUV with the Eclipse name, because the Eclipse was only a (fairly) sporty coupe, whereas Evolution was just the name for an upgraded AWD Lancer. It was just a trim level name.

Might point is its a Pajero in name. Pajero Evolution is not Evolution.
Then define what Evolution is. As far as I understand, Lancer Evos were just up-powered Lancers made for performance driving.

Mitsubishi probably intends the name to generate buzz and then to represent their next step, their evolution.

Because the secondary name became bigger than it's real name it became known as the Evolution and is linked to that particular car as well as that style of car.

I get that Mitsubishi are probably using it in a different context for this concept but it's too ingrained in peoples minds to think anything else when that name is used. So a Pajero Evolution is not an Evolution, if that makes sense.

I see what you're saying, I didn't quite realize that was what Mitsubishi had done. So it's like Nissan with the GT-R name.

Then define what Evolution is. As far as I understand, Lancer Evos were just up-powered Lancers made for performance driving.

Mitsubishi probably intends the name to generate buzz and then to represent their next step, their evolution.
Technically they started as upgraded Mirages, which was confusing as what exactly was a lancer.

Seeing as it was linked to production and Group A world rallying and WRC absolutely isn't that any more, the Evolution name was absolutely irrelevant from the iX onwards.

VXR
Seeing as it was linked to production and Group A world rallying and WRC absolutely isn't that any more, the Evolution name was absolutely irrelevant from the iX onwards.
And frankly things went downhill in the WRC with the VII, which is one of the reasons (also shared with third gen-onwards Imprezas) that I completely lost interest in those kind of cars back in the day. A lot of the magic is lost if the car either doesn't compete in rallying, or competes but is terrible.

I see what you're saying, I didn't quite realize that was what Mitsubishi had done. So it's like Nissan with the GT-R name.
Hmm,... moreso the Skyline name than GT-R.
Subaru doing the same with just WRX. However, today, Skyline is a 4-door sedan(and an SUV!), like in the 1960's thru to the BNR34. GT-R was strictly a 2-door sedan, with a completely different design. Looks nothing like the Skyline 350GT/G35/G37/Q60. There's no "entry level R35" shape GT-R, by any other name, like the Lancer and Impreza.

Side profile reminds me of the Jaguar i-Pace, but it's a shame the rally-inspired styling has been dropped though. Performance wise, I hope it is at least on par with the Evo X.

One giant, monolithic thread for an entire manufacturer?

This works just fine.

(EDIT) And thus, it's now it's own thing. 👍

Last edited:
There was an interesting comment in the Mitsubishi press conference (among lots of uninteresting comments). It's that the company is using the term "Evolution" fairly literally. I.e. "Evolution" isn't its own brand, only to be applied to rally-bred saloons, but to any significant shift in the design and ethos of a particular product - in this case SUVs.

Which makes more sense now, since the Pajero Evo was also an "evolved" SUV.

It obviously won't replace the Lancer Evolution series as an object to lust over (at least not for many of us), but viewed as its own thing it seems like less of a blasphemy than it seemed at first.

They hinted at this awhile ago so it hardly comes as a surprise to me. I felt their Vision GT concept was indicative of the direction they wanted people to see their performance and enthusiasm was going to go.

As an owner of a warmed over Sporty SUV, I think if Mitsubishi can create something that is as thoroughly improved over an SUV as the Lancer Evo was over the Lancer, then we'll be in for quite a treat.

As an owner of a warmed over Sporty SUV, I think if Mitsubishi can create something that is as thoroughly improved over an SUV as the Lancer Evo was over the Lancer, then we'll be in for quite a treat.
Agreed.

It's not that surprising a car either when you consider how important SUVs have always been for Mitsubishi. Car guys are most likely to remember Lancers, FTOs and Eclipses, but throughout the world they're best known for Pajeros/Shoguns, Outlanders and the like.

I can see the names Cyborg and Mirage being applied to a new series of performance CUVs. This one looks like the "Sport" version of the Nissan iMX concept. The Nissan GripZ concept could be something shared to make a smaller, sportier Mitsubishi CUV. It's a niche they do pretty well.

Sure gonna miss thoughs evo’s. Atlest they left with a high with the final edition. Still plenty of them you can buy for decent prices on online.

That suv has vision gt all over it lol, needs to be in the game in the near future me thinks.

Back