Pokémon Games Discussion Thread (Gotta Discuss 'Em All!)

Alola Forms is going be a very interesting twist on old Pokemon, though I hope it isn't just Gen I.

It also looks like there are no Gyms whatsoever in the main storyline. Interesting change.

Last edited:
If one of you would be so kind... I'd love a short summary of the videos :lol: won't be getting home for another four hours and can't watch videos at work :indiff:

If one of you would be so kind... I'd love a short summary of the videos :lol: won't be getting home for another four hours and can't watch videos at work :indiff:
Some Pokemon are getting Alola Forms, which are recolours, retyping and reabilities (like an Ice type Vulpix). Gyms look to be removed from the main story and instead an Island Passage Challenge.

A couple new Pokemon, new Alola specific forms of old pokemon, new evolutions for new Pokemon, a new type of move that can be used once per battle called Z moves (they seem to be some form of ultra power attack of the type of pokemon you are using), they seem to have replaced gyms with an entirely new system that I don't even understand, and yungoos's evolution is actually seriously Donald Trump.
upload_2016-8-1_23-30-51.png

I want the Ice/Steel Sandslash so bad :lol:. Looks so epic and Sandshrew looks so cute as an Ice Type.
I am also very excited for this. Sandslash is one of my favourite Pokemon and its ice version is just as awesome. Although I definitely prefer normal sandshrew, iceshrews eyes look kind of odd to me.

The little birds are adorable too. Liking the designs of these new Pokemon way ore than most of the ones they had already revealed.

Thanks guys!

The no gyms thing seems weird at first glance. It's a pretty different approach, considering how important gyms and badges were until now.

Definitely looking forward to the Alola forms, though. Certainly going to be an interesting spin to the older generations. The Z-Moves sound interesting as well, especially if they're somewhat unique to the respective Pokémon 👍

Last edited:
They did a real good job of making region types in their game, rather than making real world region types. I like the idea of going to a new place, but seeing the same pokemon in a different form due to nature or whatever, like real world animals. Quite cool.

This whole thing reminds me of the Animes Orange Island saga. Where Pokemon had different appearances, their are 4 important trainers to fight but instead of a usual battle you have to go through a trial.

I hope the ice Ninetales gets Snow Warning as a hidden ability, similar to how the regular Ninetales gets Drought.

Honestly, I'd only like that if hail (or Ice types overall tbh) gets a buff. As it stands, hail is just an inferior sandstorm that lacks the big 50% sp.def boost to Rock types as well as any really useful abilities - it's the only weather condition without a speed boosting ability, and Ice Body isn't a hugely useful ability when it's only available to a small selection of Pokemon who all share arguably the worst defensive type in the game.

Ice Types are usually more known for their tricky offensive capability instead of defence. Strong against a bunch of good types and help other types.

If Ice types were to get a defence boost then I would make them resistant to Water and have both Water and Ice contradict each other in terms of type match-ups (except Freeze-Dry). Though I'd make Scald the Water version of Freeze-Dry.

Ice Types are usually more known for their tricky offensive capability instead of defence. Strong against a bunch of good types and help other types.

If Ice types were to get a defence boost then I would make them resistant to Water and have both Water and Ice contradict each other in terms of type match-ups (except Freeze-Dry). Though I'd make Scald the Water version of Freeze-Dry.

The trouble with Ice as an offensive type is that a lot of Pokemon can get the powerful and reliable Ice Beam as coverage anyway, and the commonness of double weaknesses to Ice means that you don't necessarily need STAB for it to be effective.

Personally, I'd give it one more resistance - Water does sound like an interesting resistance to have, considering how common Water types are - but I'd also maybe remove one of the weaknesses as well. The Rock type in particular does seem like a very weird type for Ice to be weak to, considering Ice is already super effective against the very similar Ground type.

Dunno if anybody (but me) still cares, but GameStop is currently giving away Arceus codes. Might snatch myself a couple more and trade some Arceus' for some cool stuff :lol:
Yep, I got my code in the UK from GAME. Very happy to finally have a legit one. :D

Just had a look at the Pokémon trading subreddit... Seems like there's decent demand for Arceus / the codes. I have absolutely no idea what I ought to be asking for, though :lol: Oh well, need to get the codes first, I suppose, but our local GameStop will probably rotate employees anyway. Might have to visit with my girlfriend to get a little more out of it...

Might be a good chance to get my hands on a Tyrunt with the Hidden Ability or some other event Pokémon. Damn, this is actually pretty exciting :lol:

Finished Alpha Sapphire (already played Omega Ruby of course), my thoughts are still largely the same on it but I would say perhaps my judgement was clouded by the post-game malarkey with Rayquaza. The actual story isn't too intrusive as I imagined it to be when I first played it in 2014. :)

Side note. Why Popplio gets so much hate? I thought hes a cool looking sea lion. If anything, people probably scared of clowns.

Rumors circulating that it'll be completely impossible to acquire non-Alola Pokemon in Sun and Moon unless you transfer from Gen VI or Gen I.

I'm guessing that is why the Gen I support is here...

So if the Pentagon rule still exists, say goodbye to your drought Ninetales in VGC.

Rumors circulating that it'll be completely impossible to acquire non-Alola Pokemon in Sun and Moon unless you transfer from Gen VI or Gen I.

I'm guessing that is why the Gen I support is here...

So if the Pentagon rule still exists, say goodbye to your drought Ninetales in VGC.

The Pentagon rule doesn't prevent you from just breeding new pokemon in Gen VII. Drought Ninetales is completely safe and the only potential loss is going to be if they decide to remove all the move tutors again (VGC '17 is probably going to be Alola Dex only anyway, though).

In any case, the gameplay preview of Sun & Moon after E3 this year showed a Ledyba encounter so those rumors are already pretty much confirmed to be false.

Edit - Source:

Last edited:
The Pentagon rule doesn't prevent you from just breeding new pokemon in Gen VII. Drought Ninetales is completely safe and the only potential loss is going to be if they decide to remove all the move tutors again (VGC '17 is probably going to be Alola Dex only anyway, though).

In any case, the gameplay preview of Sun & Moon after E3 this year showed a Ledyba encounter so those rumors are already pretty much confirmed to be false.
non-Alola as in the old Pokemon appearing not in their Alola forms.

If it is impossible, I doubt breeding can be able to dodge the bullet this time as the Pentagon rule exists so people who don't have older games can compete. Would be a bit unfair to new players if the only way they can get a Fire-type Ninetales is to buy older games.

Either that or the rumours are false like you say (I'm 50/50, mainly because Zygarde content sort of hints to a decently size post-game since Pokemon Z never got to shine which could likely be where you can get non-Alola form Pokemon since I doubt Zygarde will be in the Alola Pokedex)

Alolan Meowth is purple.
Alolan Marowak looks to be Ground/Ghost.
The whale made of fish is a whale made of fish.
IMG_20160809_111733.jpg

Alolan Meowth is purple.
Alolan Marowak looks to be Ground/Ghost.
The whale made of fish is a whale made of fish.
View attachment 574110
If I defeat the Castle Pokemon will it tell me that "the Princess is in another Castle"?

Judging by the Fire Trial Guy's description, Marowak is probably Fire and Ghost judging by his design.

EDIT: New Manga based of the Sun and Moon games is being launched in September (it isn't apart of the Adventures canon), Rockruff appears to be the main Pokemon in this series:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...and-moon-games-get-manga-in-september/.105151

Last edited:
I thought the sandcastle was Alolan Grimer and Alolan Muk at first, but it's not and he's Ground/Ghost which is pretty cool.

Judging by the Fire Trial Guy's description, Marowak is probably Fire and Ghost judging by his design.

According to Serebii he is Fire/Ghost.

Back