Pokémon Games Discussion Thread (Gotta Discuss 'Em All!)

Disappointed about Alolan Meowth being a Dark type. I mean yes, first permanent Gen I Dark type but it pretty much makes Purrloin redundant as it was just a more Feminine Dark-type Meowth.

Why does Game Freak suddenly hate Gen V Pokemon :(. First the only Mega Pokemon is a Double Battle Supporter and now we have Pokemon that completely make Gen V redundant...

Last edited:
So, I take it Megas aren't coming in this game? I want my goddamn Mega Zangoose.

Really? That's odd.
  • Giovanni's BFF
  • All Pokedex entries reference what a huge douche it is.
  • Benefits hugely from Bite. STAB on top of Technician boost would be awesome.
That was only in the Anime and Pokemon Yellow, besides Giovanni is a Ground type trainer.

Eh, there are a lot of evil douche Pokemom that are not even Dark.

Gen II had no abilities so they couldn't change it based off that. Also Pokemon rarely does typing based on competitive play (especially in Gen I and II)

So, I take it Megas aren't coming in this game? I want my goddamn Mega Zangoose.
I don't think they are taken out, forms are never taken out but Mehas en't a big part anymore. Probably no new Megas this time, they are likely still around but I doubt we'll see new Megas.

Can't imagine they'd remove Megas already. That much work to implement them and hype them up, only to throw them out a generation later? Don't think so.

Breeding was kind of a big deal when it was introduced in Gen I and we're not hearing specific news about that, either - but does that mean no more breeding in S&M? I don't think we should read too much into GameFreak not advertising their new game with old features :)

Just gonna leave this here...

alolan-raichu-image.jpg

Dunno if anybody (but me) still cares, but GameStop is currently giving away Arceus codes. Might snatch myself a couple more and trade some Arceus' for some cool stuff :lol:

Yeah I did that, and then I called up my little bro that lives in another part of the state and had him do it. Got some nice stuff ;). Might swap out the SD card and download the rest myself.

Rumors circulating that it'll be completely impossible to acquire non-Alola Pokemon in Sun and Moon unless you transfer from Gen VI or Gen I.

I'm guessing that is why the Gen I support is here...

So if the Pentagon rule still exists, say goodbye to your drought Ninetales in VGC.

No you wont, there is nothing saying that you will have to lose your prior gen VI pokemon and even if you did, all you have to do is breed them and you get pokemon with the pentagon. I would be more worried about losing old event pokemon.

Yeah I did that, and then I called up my little bro that lives in another part of the state and had him do it. Got some nice stuff ;). Might swap out the SD card and download the rest myself.

No you wont, there is nothing saying that you will have to lose your prior gen VI pokemon and even if you did, all you have to do is breed them and you get pokemon with the pentagon. I would be more worried about losing old event pokemon.
Isn't previous Gen Pokemon banned from VGC so when Gen VII comes out Pokemon from Gen VI are banned.

Also if the rumours are true then I'd think they make Breeding your way out impossible as the reason why the Pentagon rule exist is so players don't have to buy previous Gen Pokemon games just to get the good Pokemon that they need.

-----------------------

I'm hearing people debate whether or not Alola Raichu is broken or not. I don't think so. I think it is just so there will actually be Electric Terrain teams. Not to mention unless it is a Double, Triple or Rotation battle, you'll have to wait a turn to use Alolan Raichu properly.

I'll stick my normal Triple Battle support Raichu anyway, might get Alolan Raichu for single battle though just because it rides on its tails :D. It reminds me of Puka from the Anime.

A lot of new stuff here reminds me a lot of the stuff that is exclusive to the Anime (especially the Orange Islands arc).

Last edited:
Isn't previous Gen Pokemon banned from VGC so when Gen VII comes out Pokemon from Gen VI are banned.

How would they know if my Swarm Volcarona was bred with a ditto from FR/LG and Volcarona from B/W? When you bring them over from the poke bank and breed them in gen 6 the game code dictates it originating from Gen 6 thus legal. Same with any other pokemon outside legendary/mythical through events only (hence the 20th anni stuff).

Also if the rumours are true then I'd think they make Breeding your way out impossible as the reason why the Pentagon rule exist is so players don't have to buy previous Gen Pokemon games just to get the good Pokemon that they need.

Unless they plan to change entire lines of code already embedded in the game for some time now. The pentagon rule exist for VGC purposes only, there is a side gimmick with the poke dex completion, but even if you don't have all pentagon pokemon you still get rewarded either way. VGC was the main reason so The Pokemon Company could have a blanket rule that weeded out previous pokemon.

The reason for this is due the various glitches. For example in D/P/Pt and HG/SS there was a the ability to do doubles battles where if you took a ditto into battle had them transform and then your partner ran mimic, they'd mimic the ditto's transform, then you send out another more ideal pokemon use the new transform move and get their skill set. There are various others too, like the Emerald glitch in that Battle Frontier and on and on, all of these set a problem for future competitive play.

So a simple method..."if your users don't have said symbol which can only be obtained through Gen VI game code, you can't play". Basically a clean slate, which I guess could lend some viability to what you're saying. However, the main point was for competition first and foremost.

Yet if this is the plan to keep blue pentagon pokemon VGC legal, then I could easily make various HA pokemon legit that wouldn't be if I simply took them as is to competition. And thus transfer them over to Gen VII with no worries as well.

-----------------------

I'm hearing people debate whether or not Alola Raichu is broken or not. I don't think so. I think it is just so there will actually be Electric Terrain teams. Not to mention unless it is a Double, Triple or Rotation battle, you'll have to wait a turn to use Alolan Raichu properly.

I'll stick my normal Triple Battle support Raichu anyway, might get Alolan Raichu for single battle though just because it rides on its tails :D. It reminds me of Puka from the Anime.

A lot of new stuff here reminds me a lot of the stuff that is exclusive to the Anime (especially the Orange Islands arc).

I don't see a problem with it yet, it's basically as if they gave Dedenne an evolved form of Pikachu's evo but only found in Alolan. I mean I didn't see too many complaints about the Dedenne compared to some other with a Fairy typing.

How would they know if my Swarm Volcarona was bred with a ditto from FR/LG and Volcarona from B/W? When you bring them over from the poke bank and breed them in gen 6 the game code dictates it originating from Gen 6 thus legal. Same with any other pokemon outside legendary/mythical through events only (hence the 20th anni stuff).

Unless they plan to change entire lines of code already embedded in the game for some time now. The pentagon rule exist for VGC purposes only, there is a side gimmick with the poke dex completion, but even if you don't have all pentagon pokemon you still get rewarded either way. VGC was the main reason so The Pokemon Company could have a blanket rule that weeded out previous pokemon.

The reason for this is due the various glitches. For example in D/P/Pt and HG/SS there was a the ability to do doubles battles where if you took a ditto into battle had them transform and then your partner ran mimic, they'd mimic the ditto's transform, then you send out another more ideal pokemon use the new transform move and get their skill set. There are various others too, like the Emerald glitch in that Battle Frontier and on and on, all of these set a problem for future competitive play.

So a simple method..."if your users don't have said symbol which can only be obtained through Gen VI game code, you can't play". Basically a clean slate, which I guess could lend some viability to what you're saying. However, the main point was for competition first and foremost.

Yet if this is the plan to keep blue pentagon pokemon VGC legal, then I could easily make various HA pokemon legit that wouldn't be if I simply took them as is to competition. And thus transfer them over to Gen VII with no worries as well.

-----------------------

I don't see a problem with it yet, it's basically as if they gave Dedenne an evolved form of Pikachu's evo but only found in Alolan. I mean I didn't see too many complaints about the Dedenne compared to some other with a Fairy typing.

Complaints aren't from its typing but its ability (double speed when Electric Terrain is up)

Yeah but you can pull that terrain stuff off with several pokemon, and thus in competitive play make enemies have 4x even 8x weakness, it's really not that special.
Double Speed could be a problem though if Alola Raichu stats support it (especially if it's faster than regular Raichu)

Anyway they revealed the new evil organization of Sun & Moon: Team Skull. Actually glad that this team looks to take a non-organized approach in terms designs, make them seem more interesting (far better than Team Flare in their Red Suits)

original.jpg

The guy is the team leader with the girl being at the moment the sole Admin

upload_2016-8-11_20-32-1.jpeg

team_skull_grunts_display.jpg

Regular Raichu is hardly used anyways, there are so many that do the speed bit better while being electric type. Raikou comes to mind the fastest.

Regular Raichu is hardly used anyways, there are so many that do the speed bit better while being electric type. Raikou comes to mind the fastest.
I do find it unfair to compare non-pseudo legendary normal Pokemon to Legendaries. They aren't really meant to compete anyway. If a legendary can't even compete with normal Pokemon or is on level ground (unless the normal Pokemon is downright broken) then the Legendary was a failure since they are meant to be more powerful. If a Legendary performs better than a normal Pokemon then that is what should be expected.

Even still, I think Raichu still has its use as a fast Charm support in Doubles and Triples, it is apart of my Triple Battle team. Not to mention it's the only Pokemon (along with its relatives) to know Volt Tackle outside of Events. Sure Raichu isn't super amazing and used like a Talonflame but it does has its usefulness there and there.

I think Alolan Raichu will be in Special Attack range due to it being a Psychic type so it can't replace the normal one as a Volt Tackle user.

@Luminis @RESHIRAM5 - Sorry If I wasn't clear, I was meaning that it doesn't seem like we are getting any new ones at all. 👍
Yup, that, I think, might very well be the case.

On the topic of new features and Mega Evolutions - a random shower thought that's based on nothing at all: Considering you have to use a Z-Ring, will you have to chose between having Access to a Mega Evolution or Z-Move by equipping either the Z-Ring or the Mega Bracelet? And would y'all like that?

I do find it unfair to compare non-pseudo legendary normal Pokemon to Legendaries. They aren't really meant to compete anyway. If a legendary can't even compete with normal Pokemon or is on level ground (unless the normal Pokemon is downright broken) then the Legendary was a failure since they are meant to be more powerful. If a Legendary performs better than a normal Pokemon then that is what should be expected.

Well the standard is the legendary but since Raikou is legal and is one of the most under used legendary pokemon that is why people make the comparison to more normal pokemon. Mega Manectric and Jolteon at times are a more go to than it. All of which do a job Raichu can only dream of with out the fairy typing and probably even with it.

Even still, I think Raichu still has its use as a fast Charm support in Doubles and Triples, it is apart of my Triple Battle team. Not to mention it's the only Pokemon (along with its relatives) to know Volt Tackle outside of Events. Sure Raichu isn't super amazing and used like a Talonflame but it does has its usefulness there and there.

I mean you making it work and it working in VGC competition which is where the tier list comes from are two different things. Hell I make magic bounce Espeon work, but like all niche setups, in a serious competitive play it falls on it's face against real teams.

I think Alolan Raichu will be in Special Attack range due to it being a Psychic type so it can't replace the normal one as a Volt Tackle user.

If you wanted a volt tackle user and great SpA, you wouldn't run Raichu to begin with you'd just stick to light ball Pikachu as it has been since Gen IV

I absolutely love Pyukumuku!
alolan_raichu_wishiwashi_morelull_pyukumuku_6.jpg

His design is simple and cute, plus his name is fun to say. My favorite Alola Pokemon revealed so far. Hope he evolves into something cool or can at least hold his own as is.

Well the standard is the legendary but since Raikou is legal and is one of the most under used legendary pokemon that is why people make the comparison to more normal pokemon. Mega Manectric and Jolteon at times are a more go to than it. All of which do a job Raichu can only dream of with out the fairy typing and probably even with it.
Alola Raichu isn't Electric/Fairy...

Raikou is legal but, even its stats show that its meant to be stronger than Pokemon loke Raichu and Jolteon but it doesn't have the actual usage to be that way. It is fair and balanced with the normal Pokemon but as a Legendary fails.

As for against real VGC Teams, until the better Legendarys were allowed in, there was really like only 9 good VGC Pokemon.

Alola Raichu isn't Electric/Fairy...

I saw fairy sorry, it looks really similar to Psychic in that format and the TCG

Raikou is legal but, even its stats show that its meant to be stronger than Pokemon loke Raichu and Jolteon but it doesn't have the actual usage to be that way. It is fair and balanced with the normal Pokemon but as a Legendary fails.

As for against real VGC Teams, until the better Legendarys were allowed in, there was really like only 9 good VGC Pokemon.

Yeah which is why you can make the comparison to normal powerful pokemon and psuedo myths. There was way more than that, being good and viable.

I wish there were more unique types for Alola 'mon. Grass/dragon is very nice. I was hoping Vulpix/Ninetales could be the first Fire/Ice type.

I wish there were more unique types for Alola 'mon. Grass/dragon is very nice. I was hoping Vulpix/Ninetales could be the first Fire/Ice type.

I never liked the Fire Ice type want, cause it's such a big contradiction (I know I know so is breeding with a pink gender-less blob). I mean Volcanion made sense as Fire/Water due to the boiler/steam engine idea allows it to make perfect sense.

I don't know those guys are more creative than I am, more consistently so I'm sure they'll figure out a justification.

I never liked the Fire Ice type want, cause it's such a big contradiction (I know I know so is breeding with a pink gender-less blob). I mean Volcanion made sense as Fire/Water due to the boiler/steam engine idea allows it to make perfect sense.

I don't know those guys are more creative than I am, more consistently so I'm sure they'll figure out a justification.
The only reason is because you see Vulpix change in Alola, so having it's evolution be able to somehow use both types, would be an interesting twist.

Back