Pokémon Games Discussion Thread (Gotta Discuss 'Em All!)

So if you are in the US you should be able to pick up Hoopa by connecting to the wifi network at your local McDonalds wifi and going in and receiving a mystery gift from the internet.

Edit: Nevermind they broke it as long as your game is from NA this should work for you it did for me, from Reddit:

You just need to change the SSID of your Wi-Fi connection to McDonalds Free WiFi and then you can get Hoopa by selecting Mystery Gift and then receive via Internet.

Also, it can't have any password, needs to be completly open.

Last edited:
4 WiFi battles.

4 Eviolite Chanseys.

theresa-table-flip-gif.gif

I have absolutly nothing to deal with it. Looks like I'mma be loading ALL THE THINGS with Knockoff.

4 WiFi battles.

4 Eviolite Chanseys.

theresa-table-flip-gif.gif

I have absolutly nothing to deal with it. Looks like I'mma be loading ALL THE THINGS with Knockoff.
Chansey is based. Although it can be such a huge pain to fight against.

They always seem to come out when I have my very powerful Physical Attacker, so they are no match.

My Umbreon caused someone to rage quit once.
Moveset:
  • Double Team
  • Substitute
  • Foul Play
  • Toxic
It was able to get a lot of free Double Teams and Substitute against Primal Kyogre due to Klefki already Paralyzing it and then it 2HKO Mega Rayquaza.

You'd think this is evil? Wait until you see my Triple Battle Team :lol::sly:

I'm thinking of building a gimmicky VGC team based around setting up Gravity so that I can throw around 100% accurate Hypnosis with Gengar, as well as hitting Thundurus and other flying/levitating Pokemon with ground type moves. Any suggestions for team members as well as Gravity setters?

While I don't play VGC rules or Smogon rules as I really don't like both of them (find both to be outrageously unbalanced). I think there are some good combos as I've been planning on doing some myself for Doubles and Triples.

I saw a combo once of Alakazam using Gravity and have Mega Sceptile use Leaf Whistle, due to Mega Sceptiles outrages speed, it can pull it off first and do massive damage (status wise).

I could see my favourite Pokemon Eelektross being used very well here with its Zap Cannon if the other Pokemon is willinf to use Trick Room, HOWEVER, you'll be paying the price of making it week to Ground Types. Maybe a faster Pokemon would be better.

For Triple Battles. I see a combo of Mega Audino using Trick Room, Shuckle using Power Trick and another Pokemon using Gravity. Not only does Shuckle likely go first and Mega Audino can use Heal Pulse to heal injuries but Earthquake will never miss (Mega Audino should be tanky enough if EVs are done right) you could also add Sing or Grass Whistle to your 3rd Pokemon for Crazy Sleepiness (might need Multiple though since Shuckle might OHKO the Singing Pokemon).

Outside of gravity, I saw a really strong combo with an Assault Vest, Sand Stream Tyranitar and Mega Audino. On the first turn, have Mega Audino use Trick Room and then watch as Tyranitar wrecks house while Audino spplies massive Support so Tyranitar doesn't need to use Status Moves while being protected with very strong Defense EVs, Sandstorm and Assault Vest.

EDIT:

I got a friend who has never beaten me despite trying to rip as much tactics as he can from the top players and even hacks Pokemon EV and IV. While all I do is raise Pokemon I catch and give it EVs and Moveset which I think are fun to use. and yes, I am kind of against IV Breeding.

He is going on about his Galvantula and Sableye being status nuisances (which he obviously ripped off as I've seen their move-sets done 24/7). I'm planning on Countering them with a Mega Absol which I caught a couple months ago (as he won't expect it as I often use a Mega Salamence and will just bring a normal Salamence)

What do you think of this moveset and maybe ideas for a 4th Move:

Swords Dance
Sucker Punch
Megahorn (I used the Pokenav Plus for this Absol)
Fourth Slot TBD.

Last edited:
What do you think of this moveset and maybe ideas for a 4th Move:

Swords Dance
Sucker Punch
Megahorn (I used the Pokenav Plus for this Absol)
Fourth Slot TBD.

Aerial Ace would be a good counter to any Fighting Types which resist Sucker Punch & Megahorn and are unlikely to be tripping Magic Bounce anyway...

Just had a battle with a friend and man his tactics were stuff of nightmares.

He used the Entrainment/Truant strategy that Durant can do but when it swapped to Cloyster I was nearly doom.

Since it was an Ice Type and I have a Dragon Type, I thought it would finish me which was the biggest mistake I made in my entire Pokemon Battling Career. It kept using Shell Smash when Truant Activated and used Protect when it didn't. I couldn't switch after the first Shell Smash so it just kept going.

I was just lucky enough to Survive its terror when I went to Klefki to Paralyze it, then went the Mega Menactric to finish the job, but man I was panicking for a moment.

I eventually won 4 - 0 but man, that was intense, especially when it was a tight stare down between his Kinklang and my Scolipede.

Hilarious thing :lol:.

Friend tells me he won't use Talonflame because it is too common and not fun.

Runs... Eviolite Chansey, Prankster Sableye, Protean Greninja and sometimes Mega Kangaskhan.

So I've been playing around with different setups, looking to make a decently competitive team from rarely used or overlooked Pokemon, I thought it'd be a nice change from the endless stream of Landoruseses/Rayquazi on WiFi.

Had a blast putting this together and it's working really nicely so far.

Mienshao (Jolly).
Regenerator.
Life Orb, with Drain Punch, U-Turn, Rock Tomb & Knock Off. Naturally very speedy, U-Turn on the first turn leaves a massive dent in most things and recovers Life Orb damage with Regenerator. Rock Tomb used over Rock Slide due to speed lowering effect, usually means sacrificing Mienshao to let something else come in and sweep up. Did consider running Assault Vest on this but honestly the defences are already so poor that it wouldn't make too much difference. Doesn't deal too well with being hit, particularly stumped by Talonflame.

Hypno (Careful).
Insomnia.
Weakness Policy with Psycho Cut, Drain Punch, Foul Play & Ice Punch. Massively overlooked, full EVs in Special Defence and HP. Will soak up Special hits for days, great bulk. A little more average on the physical side but not too bad. Offensive presence isn't outstanding but enough to get the job done. Weakness Policy really helps out here. Could also use Assault Vest here. Only major concern comes from physical bug types.

Golduck (Timid).
Cloud Nine.
Wide Lens. All-out Special Attacker, huge Speed stat, useable Special Attack and enough bulk to not be a sitting...duck. Hydro Pump, Blizzard, Focus Blast & Psych Up. Also tried with Choice Specs, hits like a truck but the accuracy drop really hurt & Psych Up was useless. Accuracy still not ideal even with Wide Lens, so Golduck can only take 2 or so misses before it's KO'd itself.

Mandibuzz (Impish).
Overcoat.
Leftovers, with Roost, Toxic, Knock Off & Taunt. Physically defensive tank but impressive on the Special side too. Offence isn't great, so Toxic's doing most of the work, inbetween Roosting off damage and knocking off items. Often the last-one-standing on the team. Not a huge fan of Fairy types, or being Toxic'ed itself. Defensive steel types are also a concern.

Dusclops (Bold).
Pressure.
Eviolite, with Pain Split, Will-O-Wisp, Hex & Spite. Absolute defensive beast on physical & special side (around 200 each with Eviolite). Will soak up hits for days, although Pain Split recovery is unreliable. Will O Wisp only makes it even harder to worry Dusclops, combos nicely with Hex to make the most of it's unremarkable attack stats (130 base power after status). Spite is just to mess with people really, in combination with Pressure ability, it doesn't take long for the opponent to be out of PP for everything. EG, opponents with a 10PP move will be out of PP in 2 turns. Neat. Not fast, though. Does not like being Taunted, either.

Dodrio (Adamant).
Early Bird.
Choice Band, with Brave Bird (aka The Win Button), Knock Off, Steel Wing & Return. Absolute machine, fantastic for late game cleanup. Enough natural speed to outrun pretty much everything, Choice Banded Brave Bird with Dodrio's very decent attack stat obliterates everything that doesn't resist it. Suffers badly from the recoil though, really does not appreciate being used too early.

Working out so far. 👍

Interesting Pokemon you got there.

At the moment, I'm working on a Double Espeon combo. One Espeon uses Calm Mind a lot and filled with Defensive EVs and then it'll use Baton Pass to pass on the buffs to my second Espeon who is max out on Speed and Sp. Atk EVs.

I also use an Minimizer ruiner Dragonite which knows Dragon Rush and Dragon Dance. I mainly did this because my friend is well known for using the Drifblim Minimize, Baton Pass tactic. I also have Inner Focus as I reckon it is an overlooked ability, (I also have it on my staller Umbreon) this is because I rather get a move in, instead of missing a turn due to Fake Out, and incase the always flinch causing Togekiss runs loose.

Staller Umbreons are absolutely dangerous against any team when sent out right, I was able to beat a full Legendary team (with Help from Klefki) and caused my friends to rage quit.

I recommend replacing either Hydro Pump or Blizzard with Surf or Ice Beam. You need to have one move with at least 90 Accuracy just to be on the safe side. I rarely teach my Pokemon moves that have less than 90 and when I do, I don't often actually use the move unless I absolutely have to. The only exception is Megahorn for obvious reasons,

Oh my, oh my.

Pokemon S & M :lol:

latest

EDIT: Its fake? It's been pointed out that the name has been copyrighted so I guess there's some hope it can be real but at the moment, we just need to wait and see tomorrow.

Last edited:
latest

EDIT: Its fake? What a disappointment. Well let's wait until tomorrow though.

The titles themselves aren't fake - they HAVE been added to a European Trademark site, along with those logos. Whether they're placeholder titles or not is another matter - I'd be very surprised if they AREN'T placeholder titles considering the fact that 1. they still need to tie Zygarde's 100% power form into the games, and Zygarde has no relation to the Sun or Moon, and 2. we already have Moon legendaries.

The 'official' Twitter announcement is 100% fake though.

They have release-quality logos made for them. There's absolutely no way that those are just placeholder titles.

You know what Twitter post isn't fake?

Google translation: "But the sun is still out, the moon is shining bright and big! ! Birds are also muttered (laughs)"

Birds are also muttered? As in... he's dropping a hint on Twitter? ;)

They have release-quality logos made for them. There's absolutely no way that those are just placeholder titles.

You know what Twitter post isn't fake?

Google translation: "But the sun is still out, the moon is shining bright and big! ! Birds are also muttered (laughs)"

Birds are also muttered? As in... he's dropping a hint on Twitter? ;)

That could be a coincidence. It was mentioned on Twitter that Pokemon Sun and Moon was leaked a year ago on a Korean site and not only that but the information you're getting this from about Pokemon Sun and Moon is from a Nintendo parody account over at Twitter called NinlendoofAmerica.

Plus what about Pokemon Z? That's the last thing we need before we even think about moving on to 7th Gen. The only fact that could prove that this is real was when they introduce us to a new Pokemon called Magearna for this year's upcoming Pokemon movie. *I think they did the same with Zoroark and Zorua right? Introduce 2 5th Gen Pokemons before the release of Black and White in a Pokemon Movie.*

That could be a coincidence. It was mentioned on Twitter that Pokemon Sun and Moon was leaked a year ago on a Korean site and not only that but the information you're getting this from about Pokemon Sun and Moon is from a Nintendo parody account over at Twitter called NinlendoofAmerica.

Yes, this obviously fake "NinlendoofAmerica" Twitter account tweeted about Sun & Moon, and a lot of gaming websites incorrectly cited that tweet as being official confirmation. But no, that's not where the information originates from.

The information originates from the fact that Pokemon Sun and Pokemon Moon, as well as their respective logos, have indeed been trademarked. That's irrefutable.

Regarding Pokemon Z... we don't need it. A lot of people, myself included, don't want it. The whole "third entry in a cycle of Pokemon games" thing is pretty much done... nobody except the most diehard fans want to shell out and play through the same game they played not so long ago, certainly not at the expense of being able to get a whole new Pokemon experience.

Plus I think Zygard was an intentional red herring... Game Freak has gone on record saying they like to do the unexpected, so putting in a legendary that made people think Pokemon Z was a given when in fact they had other plans in mind seems reasonably likely.

Besides, just because it's not Pokemon Z, that doesn't mean it's not Gen 6 still. And even if it IS Gen 7, that doesn't mean it won't involve aspects of Gen 6's story...

moonsunZ.png

Last edited:
I just want Gen 6 to have the redemption after X/Y and OR/AS while fantastic games didn't live up to the standards set by Gen V IMO with meh stories, no post-game and easier battles (easier battles was also an issue with Gen V but not to this extent).

I just want Gen 6 to have the redemption after X/Y and OR/AS while fantastic games didn't live up to the standards set by Gen V IMO with meh stories, no post-game and easier battles (easier battles was also an issue with Gen V but not to this extent).
You kidding? Gen 6 beats the living pants off of Gen V in the story department. Gen V was the epitome of meh story.

Besides, if you're playing Pokemon for the story... I have some bad news for you: Story has never been Pokemon's strong suit.

You kidding? Gen 6 beats the living pants off of Gen V in the story department. Gen V was the epitome of meh story.

Besides, if you're playing Pokemon for the story... I have some bad news for you: Story has never been Pokemon's strong suit.
I know that Story isn't the biggest thing in Pokemon. In fact back in Gen I - Gen IV I rarely cared about the story. I wasn't expecting an interesting story for Gen V but the Characters and Team Plasma were very well characterized more than any other character, it could be because it took me by surprise because I wasn't expecting much. They really used the idea of different views in B/W as well as the Truth vs Ideals with N, Cheren and Bianca. The Gym Leaders actually had personalities and were import to the story unlike other games where only 1 or 2 mattered. I also loved how the story was so important in Gen V that it lasted until the very end of the main game and making the Champion post-game, it was very refreshing to see. The clash N was everything I ever wanted in a Pokemon battle.

I know people hate how Ghetsis took the spotlight at the end but I loved the plot twist, he wasn't deep but he didn't need to be for me to feel something, he was just evil in everyway and while I can understand why people see that boring, Ghetsis made it interesting for me and even made me angry at times, he was a character I loved to hate and beating him in B2/W2 and finding his Kharma was his own sanity was so satisfying for what he has done.

I'll admit Colress needed some work for me to care but I did like the plot twist of him being a top guy of team plasma.

Gen V was also the only story to make me care about the Pokemon themselves, in B/W the whole liberation thing really settled in with me and made me concern for my Pokemon that I raised. When N talked to them and they stood up for me, I was moved by this action and I actually felt like I need to return the favour by beating N. Route 10s music fit this mood perfectly. B2/W2 did it in a negative sort of way with Ghetsis, showing his cruelty and careless behaviour towards Pokemon, Colress did this well trying to find out how to bring true strength in Pokemon and was willing to do anything to find out how, even by force and showing him up was great. Encountering Ghetsis and calling Kyurem an empty being really made me feel sorry for the Pokemon, especially back in B/W where it was treated as a monster which increased my hatred and Ghetsis mentioning that my Pokemon are angry too felt very moving too and it led to a showdown where all I wanted to do is to crush Ghetsis.

So I had hopes for Gen 6 to continue and the only times the story does pick up it is either instantly over or way too late for me to care. Zinnia was out right a disappointed of what seems to be a successor of N, even mentioning Truth and Ideals. Wally was improved as a character but post-game Wally was really awkward seeing. The characters in X/Y were so one dimensional except for the 3rd Gym Leader but your connection with her is very brief.

I probably won't care for Gen 7s story because of Gen 6, which is probably for the best as if I had no hopes of Gen 6s story I would've liked Gen 6 more.

I'd have thought gen 7 would need new hardware? I see this as an extension of gen 6. We'll find out soon enough though.

I'd have thought gen 7 would need new hardware? I see this as an extension of gen 6. We'll find out soon enough though.
The same could've been said when Black & White was announced.

Though maybe Gen 7 would be exclusive to the New Nintendo 3DS.

I don't see any reason for it to be a New-3DS exclusive.

It'll almost certainly be New 3DS-enhanced though, probably 3D enabled outside of battle and/or smoother framerates at the very least.

I don't see any reason for it to be a New-3DS exclusive.

It'll almost certainly be New 3DS-enhanced though, probably 3D enabled outside of battle and/or smoother framerates at the very least.
Hopefully the goal will be to make sure 6 Moltres on the field won't cause lag :lol:

Moon And Sun looks like a Hint of Pokèmon Gold and Silver; prehaps we got a new generation with the possibility to return in Kalos after beating the League.
Anyway i hope those two games are better than ORAS.

Well, just over three hours till we find out what the big announcement is.

I really hope Sun and Moon are new reigons and not a return to Kalos ala B2/W2 did with that generation.

Back