[POLL] GT6 Drifting: Do you like it, or not?

• Thread starter JDM SRE70
  • 235 comments

GT6 Drifting do you like it?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
That sounds like an open diff. (causing snap backs)

If a tried and true real world setup doesn't work properly on this so called real driving simulator, then this game is not worth my time.

I'm telling you all now. Anyone serious about learning to drift in real life, should stay away from GT6.

It would be wise to wait to hear about updates to the physics before anyone wastes their time as well.

I don't want to ruin my real life Drifting skills by playing GT6.

If a tried and true real world setup doesn't work properly on this so called real driving simulator, then this game is not worth my time.

I'm telling you all now. Anyone serious about learning to drift in real life, should stay away from GT6.

It would be wise to wait to hear about updates to the physics before anyone wastes their time as well.

Wowza! I'm ready to see the replies to this!

Good sir, this is where your downfall is:

I actually tuned my Onevia (240sx coupe)(250hp) using GT5

You need to come to terms and realise you're in huge minority if you believe that GT5 physics are better then GT6 physics and give the game more time, it's been a few days since the game has been released and I'm finding the game completely fine while I'm drifting now.

Secondly, since you talk about your setup being tuned in GT5 but yet not working in GT6 means something is out regardless whatever it is. Why don't you actually show us the numbers and let other people here evaluate them and I'll be surprised if other members here don't see something out of place in your tuning.

I made a replica of Kei Office Zenki S14 - 260PS, comfort medium ( YH GP M7 IRL ), and it drifts + grip like a dream. I don't have issues with tire noise, I set sound setting to large theatre, 5.1, and sound fx volume at 70 to 80. Cranked my Harman AVR instead :)

Seriously Artica. Log off this forum and go outside drift your awesome drift monster machine tuned with gt5 (may I say lol to that?) with your mad D1 skills if the game is not up to par with your almighty expectations.

Actually I'd like to hear the feedback of the old school gt5 drifters like that English guy who was drifting in D1GB if my memory is correct and some of the other people with more IRL drifting experience on high hp cars.

I only blame myself for expecting an upgrade from the last game.
It hurts when you spend hard earned money on something thats is not worth its value.
real car and game car setup is:

(240sx)Coupe
Lowered front ride by 2" and rear by 3"
Front coil 10
Rear coil 8
Front dampener 10
Rear dampener 2
sways 2 and 2
Front camber -3
Rear camber 0
Front toe -.20
rear toe +.20

Stage 2 weight reduction
Lightflywheel and 2nd stage clutch
welded diff (5/60/60)
CH tires
(215-45-17) all around
17's +12 offset
Front 35psi
Rear 25 psi
55* angle modification
Gsp steering rack spacers
Powered by max eccentric rack bushing.
Sr20det on 11lbs boost
No catback
Hks racing air intake.
3" exhaust
Cold air intake
I'd repectfully give it a 230hp ball park range.
In game I'm using G27 with real handbrake.
Cockpit view.
No assists
330mm deep dish wheel(same as real car)
Nexim pedal spring upgrades
Benchmark test track tsukuba circuit.

I only blame myself for expecting an upgrade from the last game.
It hurts when you spend hard earned money on something thats is not worth its value.
real car and game car setup is:

(240sx)Coupe
Lowered front ride by 2" and rear by 3"
Front coil 10
Rear coil 8
Front dampener 10
Rear dampener 2
sways 2 and 2
Front camber -3
Rear camber 0
Front toe -.20
rear toe +.20

Stage 2 weight reduction
Lightflywheel and 2nd stage clutch
welded diff (5/60/60)
CH tires
(215-45-17) all around
17's +12 offset
Front 35psi
Rear 25 psi
55* angle modification
Gsp steering rack spacers
Powered by max eccentric rack bushing.
Sr20det on 11lbs boost
No catback
Hks racing air intake.
3" exhaust
Cold air intake
I'd repectfully give it a 230hp ball park range.
In game I'm using G27 with real handbrake.
Cockpit view.
No assists
330mm deep dish wheel(same as real car)
Nexim pedal spring upgrades
Benchmark test track tsukuba circuit.
Well for a start I personally would crank up the sway bars. I run 5 on the back which seems to stop 80% of the snap back. Just my opinion though...

The point is to have the driving simulator simulate reality.
I know you are trying to help though. Thanks.

Also, I didn't want PD to find out, bu tin GT6, they accidentally gave the US 96 240sx an Sr20det. Beautiful mistake.

Maybe its a g27 supported software problem.
Begrudgingly included in the wheel menu (gt5) after many complaints.
now that i think about it. It did take some time for wheel software to catch back up and smooth things out.
That could be very much why the cars handle like a big wet bag of potatoes.

The replica I made is from Kei Office S14 Zenki - White Pearl :) As seen and driven by Dori Dori in Drift Bible :) The LSD is Nismo GT 1.5 way, and I can drift it fine at Willow Springs.

What is the setting for 1.5 way and 2 Way? You seem to be a wise man!:cheers:

What is the setting for 1.5 way and 2 Way? You seem to be a wise man!:cheers:

NISMO GT Pro 1.5 LSD has 3 preset torque preload ( initial torque ) 7kg, 9.5kg and 14kg and 45 degree cam angle, I tuned the LSD on my Zenki Kei Office S14 : Initial 7 to 14, Accel 28 to 30, Brake 5, not exact replica of Nismo GT LSD in terms of how aggressive the locking, but I find that on comfort medium and suspension tune I used, the LSD perform quite well for both grip and drift. Tested at Willows Spring ( grip ).

For 2 way, simply use the same value for braking, so brake should be 28 to 30, while initial 7 to 14.

Snap back and drifting in GT6 is alot more realitstic than gt5. I remember my first time trying to drift in real life, i started by trying to drift in circles, i remember spinning out or understeering alot because either i didn't give enough throttle or gave too much throttle at the wrong time. I remember holding a full circle and then all of a sudden i ended up spinning out because i thought i could give more throttle when it felt like the car was going to grip and straighten up.

I remember drifting full circle again but as soon as i eased just a bit off the throttle, my car almost went off course because it regained a little too much grip that fast.

And as for body roll i remember gaining the confidence to attack a corner, guess what? I had Insane snap back at the end of my drift because i think i was a little too agressive on my entry and wasn't agressive enough on the gas towards the end. And of course my car was almost stock all around with a factory VLSD which didn't really help. Car was prob pushing around 170 to the wheels.

In GT5 i never really got this kind of feeling, but in GT6 i somewhat did, both on controller and wheel.

Basically the biggest improvement in GT6 is on how your car grips due to the new suspension model. Because of this, people will almost have to re-learn throttle control, speed and steering input. And then need to have a better understanding on how to tune your car to drift properly unlike GT5.

But hey don't listen to me because im not a pro drifter, i could be talking out of my a** because im prob more like at a somewhat enthusiast level ;).

I still not convinced that its a matter of technique, not at least for most here who could hang it on GT5. Have you already tried the "coffee break drift challenges"? Man, if not, let me tell... i don´t know what brujaria those cars have, but they are pretty decent for drifting. I could beat the challenges as easy as i did while doing sessionals on GT5. Not even trying to go to the "Drift Mode x Drift Online" discussion, all im saying that if (and only if) we start to figure out the new setup parameters, we will win this war.

Trust me. Its a new tire grip / slide formula. Its a new suspension model. Maybe also another things also are reformulated (LSD, weight %)...

GT5 had realistic setup parameters? GT6 uses diferent parameters?
I don´t know... im just here in my game messing up with numbers and pulling my hair out.

I still not convinced that its a matter of technique, not at least for most here who could hang it on GT5. Have you already tried the "coffee break drift challenges"? Man, if not, let me tell... i don´t know what brujaria those cars have, but they are pretty decent for drifting. I could beat the challenges as easy as i did while doing sessionals on GT5. Not even trying to go to the "Drift Mode x Drift Online" discussion, all im saying that if (and only if) we start to figure out the new setup parameters, we will win this war.

Trust me. Its a new tire grip / slide formula. Its a new suspension model. Maybe also another things also are reformulated (LSD, weight %)...

GT5 had realistic setup parameters? GT6 uses diferent parameters?
I don´t know... im just here in my game messing up with numbers and pulling my hair out.

Most of us have figured out the suspension setups already and have given advice to most on how to go about setting their cars up. Some choose to continue to think the the gt5 physics/tuning are superior which they arent. AGAIN THE TUNING IN GT5 WERE BACKWARDS WHEN IT CAME TO DRIFTING

Until gt6 uses realistic tunes. I'm out

What is happening here is that PD did't take the time to make a quality game. Like the way they did with gt5

Ps4 is comming out, so they want to make a quick dollar before they focus their efforts on a gt7 platform.

If I was prideful of my brand, I would have unleashed a strong showing on the ps4.

Instead, it seems like a copy and paste job, with worse settings so they can add more super cars and details to those.

Plus, they are also taking a chance on a new physics engine to see how people accept it.

It may work for racing, but it seems like drifting was just an after thought.
Or more like...here take this, I hope it works out. Youll just change settings around till it finally works, and attempt to hack it anyway.

Last edited:
This is the right place to talk about whether or not we like it.
Just speaking the truth about the gt6 experience.
You already voiced your opinion multiple times now. Stop whining and actually get used to the physics. That also has been told to you multiple times.

I await the cries of 'you don't know what you're talking about' or 'keyboard drifter' but before you do that, find out who I am :-)

Broad statement:
GT6 is **** as a drift simulator compared to GT5, it's need even up for debate.

Reasoning behind above statement:
The physics of GT6, in real terms, are FAR more accurate than GT5. All the seasoned 'Pros' I know are having SERIOUS issues with it. I have a feeling it might get better with practice but it is EASILY twice the difficulty of GT5 and I don't see myself ever getting to the level I did on that.

Now for the controversy. The problem with GT6 and trying to drift is that as the physics become more realistic, the need to 'feel' what the chassis is doing become greater and greater, and that feeling can never be conveyed by a game.

As an example, in GT5, I can EASILY link the entire Grand Valley track with spastic angle and throttle in 950bhp Viper. In GT6, I can barely even string a lap together around the GTArena in a 350bhp 180SX, all on exactly the same wheel setup as I use for GT5.

That said, I also feel that as much as the physics are better for racing, there are some fundamental flaws in GT6 as far as what happens when you lose grip.

Here are some simple truths:
Cars do NOT snap back when the wheels are spinning heavily and you are on throttle, so why does GT6 do it.
Cars do not SUDDENLY spin when you back off the gas, so why does GT6 do it.
Cars do not snap straight the split second you release the handbrake when you are travelling fast unless you don't know what you are doing, so again, why does GT6 do it?
Cars in GT6 require specific setups to make them even half driftable. I've never had that issue in the real world. We can just weld the diff and go, job done.

I am forever telling my students that if they want to practice for free, buy GT5 and a Logitech wheel. I will NOT be saying the same about GT6. Yes the physics engine is better, but now it's too good or you to be able I drift without the chassis feel.

I'll stick with Gt6 for racing, but as a Pro, I'll stxk to GT5. Even if I can master GT6, I don't wat to because it bears NO resemblance to real life drifting.

The End. :-)

I await the cries of 'you don't know what you're talking about' or 'keyboard drifter' but before you do that, find out who I am :-)

Broad statement:
GT6 is **** as a drift simulator compared to GT5, it's need even up for debate.

Reasoning behind above statement:
The physics of GT6, in real terms, are FAR more accurate than GT5. All the seasoned 'Pros' I know are having SERIOUS issues with it. I have a feeling it might get better with practice but it is EASILY twice the difficulty of GT5 and I don't see myself ever getting to the level I did on that.

Now for the controversy. The problem with GT6 and trying to drift is that as the physics become more realistic, the need to 'feel' what the chassis is doing become greater and greater, and that feeling can never be conveyed by a game.

As an example, in GT5, I can EASILY link the entire Grand Valley track with spastic angle and throttle in 950bhp Viper. In GT6, I can barely even string a lap together around the GTArena in a 350bhp 180SX, all on exactly the same wheel setup as I use for GT5.

That said, I also feel that as much as the physics are better for racing, there are some fundamental flaws in GT6 as far as what happens when you lose grip.

Here are some simple truths:
Cars do NOT snap back when the wheels are spinning heavily and you are on throttle, so why does GT6 do it.
Cars do not SUDDENLY spin when you back off the gas, so why does GT6 do it.
Cars do not snap straight the split second you release the handbrake when you are travelling fast unless you don't know what you are doing, so again, why does GT6 do it?
Cars in GT6 require specific setups to make them even half driftable. I've never had that issue in the real world. We can just weld the diff and go, job done.

I am forever telling my students that if they want to practice for free, buy GT5 and a Logitech wheel. I will NOT be saying the same about GT6. Yes the physics engine is better, but now it's too good or you to be able I drift without the chassis feel.

I'll stick with Gt6 for racing, but as a Pro, I'll stxk to GT5. Even if I can master GT6, I don't wat to because it bears NO resemblance to real life drifting.

The End. :-)

Very good point about not being able to feel the chassis. I do agree that while the racing in GT6 feels better, the drifting feels off. I'll still drift the hell out of GT6, but it still doesn't feel quite right.

One question:
Is the "Improve the Body Ridigity" similar or same as the Body/Chassis counterpart on GT5, but placed hidden in another area?

I think ill try this feature today and see what will happens. On GT5 for me this thing was barely mandatory for almost every of my cars.

i1a30SWnYQyxLhB.jpg

I'm spinning out left and right..... I was pretty much king of tandem in gt5(insert douchebag image here) but drifting in gt6 is proving to be a bit harder. I'll give it a couple weeks. I should be decent by then.... or at least I hope so.
tell me about it. I'm currently using an over-compensating 2.5 way diff setup 5/50/60 to try to reign in the violent transition upon lift off, and limiting power to eliminate the need to lift off altogether. it's like learning all over again. I dream of one day tandeming door-to-door like I used to in 5.

The grip racing absolutely feels better in gt6, but as others have said the drifting is just off. I drift with ease at the track and when it comes to drifting in gt6 I basically have to forget everything I've learned from the real world, so for that reason I'll stick to live for speed and the track for drifting unless they fix this nonsense.
Great grip physics though, really impressed there! ;)

Back