[POLL] GT6 Drifting: Do you like it, or not?

• Thread starter JDM SRE70
  • 235 comments

GT6 Drifting do you like it?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Some aspects of 6 are better than 5. The suspension model is a very nice change from the two. When I watch replays, I see what I would expect to see in rl racing on TV. The drifting aspect is a challenge, but not nearly as close as some are touting. I have always hated the gt series for the tank slapping SnapBack. The one thing missing from the physics model is slip from the non powered wheels. I have taken my 240 at stupid speeds on gateway international raceways road course and it never pulled the snap that gt does.

The game needs an individual model for each of the tires. The leading wheel slips slightly in drift, while the trailing wheel does more of the steering. I don't think that any of that is taken into account.

Gt5 was easier to drift than 4 or 6. 6 has better suspension motion dynamics, but the tire dynamics are where a big part of the problem is. It's like they're linked by axle.

It might also be the parameters set forth by the programmers.

Tonight, I've spent a lot of time trying to understand what the coders were thinking when they wrote gt6.

At a specific point in the drift angle, it appears as though, because of written code, that you must spin out.

Imagine the expression a dog gives when they hear something weird:
::tilted head to one side::

That was how I looked when I saw the car over-rotate in a no rotate situation.

Hopefully in time, issues like this will be patched.

Then with the snap backs,

I might venture a guess, and theorize that racers might actually prefer this version of understeer -
allowing them to have a more stable car.

A drifter would think that once you get your car rotating on a welded diff, that it would follow that
momentum until grip returns.

There is one epic instance that stands out in my mind, where snap back occurred because of driver error.

Anyone recall the Formula D 2013 Atlanta run where Gitten Jr. monster trucks over Frederic Aasbo?

He didn't swing the rear out with enough momentum, then pulled the ebrake to help him extend to the outside.

But because he didn't have enough momentum, he snapped back and ran over Aasbo.

Even then, it was a smoother process than how gt6 is incorporating.

As in...um hello, you are going this way now.
or
No no no, I'm sorry, your wheels are pointed over here. trying going this way.

Then there is the worst D1gp crash by Daigo Saito and Masato Kawabata.

Saito chased Kawabata around the left hander and slipped his left tire on to the grass.

Because of left tire lack of grip on the grass, Daigo's right tire, snapped back and pulled him into Kawabata.

There is definitely some monkey business going on here in gt6.

And it definitely isn't Nomuken.

Some people are saying the drifting in GRID 2 is actually more realistic and enjoyable than in Gran Turismo 6.....is this true?

Some people are saying the drifting in GRID 2 is actually more realistic and enjoyable than in Gran Turismo 6.....is this true?

f3954f686389ad0be9666da7b89bab4f75e6cc846191cd209c283c2264e9a623.jpg

Gt6 still falls flat on its face. Haven't played gri2 , but gt6 can't be thaat bad? Can it?

Attachments

• YAO-MING-SCARED-HECK-NO-FACE-AFRAID.jpg
    YAO-MING-SCARED-HECK-NO-FACE-AFRAID.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 597
The game needs an individual model for each of the tires. The leading wheel slips slightly in drift, while the trailing wheel does more of the steering. I don't think that any of that is taken into account.
It's the other way round ;) The leading wheel (front left on a right hander or front left in a right hander) is the one doing the steering. It is the inside wheel (which is trailing) which slips when drifting. :)

Tonight, I've spent a lot of time trying to understand what the coders were thinking when they wrote gt6.

At a specific point in the drift angle, it appears as though, because of written code, that you must spin out.

I might venture a guess, and theorize that racers might actually prefer this version of understeer -

A drifter would think that once you get your car rotating on a welded diff, that it would follow that

There is one epic instance that stands out in my mind, where snap back occurred because of driver error.

Anyone recall the Formula D 2013 Atlanta run where Gitten Jr. monster trucks over Frederic Aasbo?

He didn't swing the rear out with enough momentum, then pulled the ebrake to help him extend to the outside.

or

Saito chased Kawabata around the left hander and slipped his left tire on to the grass.

Because of left tire lack of grip on the grass, Daigo's right tire, snapped back and pulled him into Kawabata.

Biggest load of nonsense ever LOL

First, the car doesn't spin for no reason, after much practice, I can say it is just driver error. The physics just require more skill than before.

VGJ running over Aasbo was caused by Vaughn dropping the handbrake and not reducing counter-steer angle on the steering. As a result he over-corrected and snapped back into Aasbo.

Saito hitting Kawabata was exactly the same. It had NOTHING to do with hitting the grass and everything to do with the driver making a mistake and over-correcting.

Simple fact, if you are getting snap-back in GT6, you are driving wrong and over-correcting.

The physics in this game are SPOT ON. If you can't do it, you need more practice. Just because you can do a skid in real life doesn't make you an epic driver. Drifting in real life is easier than GT6 as you can feel the chassis. GT6 just shows your flaws as a driver. Stop blaming the game and start looking inward. ;)

The people saying that are the people who can't drift in real life. Simple. I'm telling you now, nothing beats GT6 apart from RFactor. :)

or

Yeah no.

As an learning drifter, I'd like to say you're full of it. I've only done a little drifting, but I believe that GT6 up and away is superior to GT5 was in drifting.

You can't just rip the E-brake to initiate a drift, it can get the rear out yeah but for a real 4 wheel drift it usually takes more than that, with clutch kicking and the Scandinavian flick to get it. And about the wheels pointing away, if you're using a controller you know it doesn't even get a full rotation in right? You can't hold those ridiculous slides Vaughn Gittin Jr. and Tenkgu Djan do unless you have a wheel that does full rotations.

I've spun out drifting before, and it's a lot like in GT6 where the car's already got too much momentum to get it back when you point your wheels, so you just gotta brake and try not to hit anything, where in 5 you just kinda get it back...it felt kinda lifeless.

Based on what you're saying, I think you have no idea what you're talking about. Either watch and learn how a real drifter does it or stop watching Initial D.

Yeah no.

As an learning drifter, I'd like to say you're full of it. I've only done a little drifting, but I believe that GT6 up and away is superior to GT5 was in drifting.

You can't just rip the E-brake to initiate a drift, it can get the rear out yeah but for a real 4 wheel drift it usually takes more than that, with clutch kicking and the Scandinavian flick to get it. And about the wheels pointing away, if you're using a controller you know it doesn't even get a full rotation in right? You can't hold those ridiculous slides Vaughn Gittin Jr. and Tenkgu Djan do unless you have a wheel that does full rotations.

I've spun out drifting before, and it's a lot like in GT6 where the car's already got too much momentum to get it back when you point your wheels, so you just gotta brake and try not to hit anything, where in 5 you just kinda get it back...it felt kinda lifeless.

Based on what you're saying, I think you have no idea what you're talking about. Either watch and learn how a real drifter does it or stop watching Initial D.
EXACTLY!!

After a week of practice, I'm starting to get a feel for GT6. The biggest difference I'm noticing is that you need to be much more precise with all of your inputs, and there is much less room for error. You can't be all willy-nilly with the throttle - every little blip needs to be for a reason.

When I first started, it felt as though there was no time during a drift when I could relax. I always needed to be completely focused. Now though, I feel I've found the "zone", where I can relax slightly. What helped my was trying to slow everything down slightly, and really focusing on being smooth. Smoothness in throttle control and weight transfer are the keys.

I had bad throttle habits from GT5, as well as the habit of letting the weight "slam" from one side to the other. Once I started controlling these two things, drifting in GT6 started to click.

Edit: meant to say, I have been able to start getting some pretty decent angle (with DS3), but it's much tougher than in GT5.

Save me from the stubborness of dwarves. Lol
It's fiiiine.
Keep your flawed game.
I'll laugh after the next set of updates roll in, and for SOME reason, people start drifting better.
Because they will assume that they must have learned the physics.

Seriously.
What I want is what everybody wants.
A realistic driving experience.
What I want, is to help benefit us all.

It's fiiiine.
Keep your flawed game.
I'll laugh after the next set of updates roll in, and for SOME reason, people start drifting better.

Seriously.

What you want is something easy to do. Drifting is NOT by any means easy. It's probably the most complicated form of motorsport there is, it takes a helluva lot more than just sitting behind a wheel and turning it while accelerating. If you're blaming the game for your lack of skill that's your problem. Knowledge doesn't help with drifting, it's an instinctual art you learn by doing. You can't learn how to drive a car by reading about it, reading just doesn't prepare you for the jolt of adrenaline you feel when a car is sideways, trust me on that. You think you know drifting because you have a picture of a Onevia as your avatar? Think again.

See you're looking at it from a technological point of view, you're seeing how the game works as a video game. I'm looking at it as if I were in that real car on that real track. The only difference between the game and real life is that you and your car don't die if you crash, and you should be thankful for that.

A few pages back I uploaded a vid me drifting my real car.
I do this in real life.
If a real life drifter gives a simulator game their real world advice, those points being made, should hold validity.

I do this in real life.
If a real life drifter gives a simulator game their real world advice, those points being made, should hold validity.
I do this in real life too buddy, I'm just as qualified as you are. And that's not true at all regarding the game making it easier, at least not in my car's case. Considering your car from the looks of it has a turbocharger in it, you have more power to zing around it to hold a slide with. The weaker NA cars like my 8-6 need considerable clutch kicking and weight transferring to get in a true drift.

I go IRL drifting once a week, I drift gt5/hybrid every night.
What is the missing link here?
If a real life drifters says physics are off, take him at his words.
I'm not purposely bashing the game.....anymore.
Because, I believe there is a glimmer of hope - that patches will come.
I remember how gt5 kept getting better and better, but it didn't start out that way.
Whether Pd and KY, sold their souls to the munny machine. i.e. micro transactions, small payouts, or last squeeze of munny on an obsolete platform, I personally want to believe that they will snap out of it.

I go IRL drifting once a week, I drift gt5/hybrid every night.
What is the missing link here?
If a real life drifters says physics are off, take him at his words.
I'm not purposely bashing the game.....anymore.
Because, I believe there is a glimmer of hope - that patches will come.
I remember how gt5 kept getting better and better, but it didn't start out that way.
Whether Pd and KY, sold their souls to the munny machine. i.e. micro transactions, small payouts, or last squeeze of munny on an obsolete platform, I personally want to believe that they will snap out of it.
wait a sec, "anymore"? So you were just saying nasty things that may not even be true just for the sake of saying them? I dunno if I can trust this. I'm a drifter too man, I'm not doubting you, I just don't agree. I seriously think GT6 is more accurate than GT5 was about drifting, since it takes more than just ripping the E-brake and holding a slide to get drifting.

But you know what? We're not gonna get anywhere doing this, so let's just agree to disagree man :P I'm not saying you're wrong and I'm right, I'm just offering my two cents based on my experience. Chances are we have very different opinions on what drifting is anyway because of our vastly different cars. So it's cool, I respect fellow drifters and I didn't mean to offend :)

The people saying that are the people who can't drift in real life. Simple. I'm telling you now, nothing beats GT6 apart from RFactor. :)

Have you played GRID 2? Is it not quite irresponsible to make such an ignorant and blanket statement? GRID 2's car handling is nothing short of sublime.

The physics in this game are SPOT ON. If you can't do it, you need more practice. Just because you can do a skid in real life doesn't make you an epic driver. Drifting in real life is easier than GT6 as you can feel the chassis. GT6 just shows your flaws as a driver. Stop blaming the game and start looking inward. ;)

The people saying that are the people who can't drift in real life. Simple. I'm telling you now, nothing beats GT6 apart from RFactor.

I can drift in real life, It's really not hard to slide a car around corners, GT6 is not even close to real life and no it's not because I'm bad at it (I'm not, just like I wasn't bad at GT5), its because the physics are ****, I have to drive different to how I do irl, in a game like Assetto Corsa or Live for Speed I don't need to change how I drive because they very close to real life drifting.

Cars irl don't snap back mid drift on the power like they do in GT5-6, they don't drive straight on a cambered road with both rear wheels spinning like they do in GT.

Also Rfactor drifting is horrible, without the mods no one would play it because the physics/FFB aren't great.

It's fiiiine.
Keep your flawed game.

Seriously.
The difference is that, unlike me, you aren't in a position to know what the correct physics would be, you aren't a good enough driver in the real world. Sorry, but it's the truth.

I can drift in real life, It's really not hard to slide a car around corners, GT6 is not even close to real life and no it's not because I'm bad at it (I'm not, just like I wasn't bad at GT5), its because the physics are ****, I have to drive different to how I do irl, in a game like Assetto Corsa or Live for Speed I don't need to change how I drive because they very close to real life drifting.

Cars irl don't snap back mid drift on the power like they do in GT5-6, they don't drive straight on a cambered road with both rear wheels spinning like they do in GT.

Also Rfactor drifting is horrible, without the mods no one would play it because the physics/FFB aren't great.
Can you please quantify that? What do you drift in real life? Experience? etc. I know I am one of the most experiences in Europe, so I'll need convincing before I start to think I'm wrong. Bearing in mind that not only have I been a GT Academy international finalist, but also a European drifting champion all the way back in '07......

I do this in real life.
Your video shows a weak ass power slide lol A power slide does NOT make you a drifter ;) Joking. But is IS low speed (you don't top 40mph while drifting in that vid) you are not using full power enough, your angle is low, there are too many corrections and your line is not smooth.

Last edited:
Don't bring me into this. I've had my say, so leave me out.

It sounds like your drinking the company gatorade.
Just a few pages back u said directly that there are physics that need to be changed.

Last edited by a moderator:
It sounds like your drinking the company gatorade.
Just a few pages back u said directly that there are physics that need to be changed.
No, I said they were harder because they are more accurate and the need to feel the chassis and/or be much better at drifting is higher than in GT5. Just because I can drift it doesn't mean most people will be able to, it's incredibly difficult and I had to think about it like a real car before I was able to get the hang of it. Read the entire thread and take note of the way the conversation evolves and views change. Simple fact is, GT6 is harder because it's more accurate, the end.

And you've written more replies on this thread than anyone else, so of course we are going to bring your comments into it. LOL

And besides that. I had one correction after the shakaine. That is 1 run out many.
And i allready stated that i have changed the settings for more rear grip so i can take a larger angle.
Cant ask any more out of 230horse.
Heres a vid of 2 years ago
Skip to .50 secs

Even then im smooth.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back