Project CARS 3 Announced, Arrives This Summer

• Thread starter Toyota GT1
  • 634 comments
I dont see much being sacrificed, I can see them altering the core single player experience to be more appealing and such etc.

Let's also not forget how long the Madness engine has been around for. People give Codemasters stick for how long they've been developing and using Ego, Madness has been used since 2009, Ego 2008, for both engines the next gen would be the 3rd console cycle for the engines, they simply wouldn't have anywhere else to take it, this is why I fear Dirt 5 will quickly look outdated on the new consoles, moving the engine across is a sure fire way of hitting 120fps and looking a bit sharper, but not much else. I think this will be even more apparent when we see the next gen Forza for example.

Codemasters have been recruiting for people capable of using Unreal Engine, so don't be surprised to see one or all of their major IPs (Dirt 5 aside) take to that on the next gen.

As for PC3, with how long its been in development, it wouldn't surprise me if they had just straight up committed to launching this generation, we dont know what may have happened behind the scenes in terms of delays and such but both PC2 and 1 suffered with delays.

As for PC3, with how long its been in development, it wouldn't surprise me if they had just straight up committed to launching this generation, we dont know what may have happened behind the scenes in terms of delays and such but both PC2 and 1 suffered with delays.

I precisely thought the lack of news concerning PC3’s development was related to SMS’s & Codemaster’s inability to know the capabilities of the next generation consoles. Sure, the game could be developed on P.C.; but how that would port to consoles would have been up to Sony and Microsoft to share. And we all know how closely they hold their cards to their chests. So I’m super skeptical about this release. It just doesn’t make sense when Ian Bell himself constantly said the PS4 processing power was the limiting factor in realizing the game’s full potential. (Of course one could argue the porting was done so poorly that it may have caused most of the bugs and processing performance issues - I’m not tech savvy enough to know about this though, so I’m basically pulling that right out of my you-know-what).

Oh, and cornering bonuses?! What is that? The last thing a sim needs is more nonsense blocking the view of what’s ahead. I know what an apex is and whether or not I’ve optimized it. Worse yet, an in game economy system - my number one pet peeve about GT Sport. Just let the adults that invest tons of money into their racing rigs drive the friggin’ cars that are programmed into the game without having to get divorced from spending all day and night grinding away for credits. I can honestly say I haven’t seen or read one thing about PC3 that has me excited.

What about third party peripherals? Any support there, especially at release. How about keyboard/button-box support, and again at release? These were two major annoyances because I anxiously awaited day one delivery of PCars 2’s Pre-order, Deluxe Edition with Season pass, only to find I’d have to wait for patches to use the devices I was already using in PCars 1. Something just seems... off. The odd release announcement, the arcady appearance of the trailer, the weird timing in relation to new consoles dropping, it’s just not adding up in my opinion. This just doesn’t seem like a Project Cars title.

Oh, and cornering bonuses?! What is that? The last thing a sim needs is more nonsense blocking the view of what’s ahead. I know what an apex is and whether or not I’ve optimized it. Worse yet, an in game economy system - my number one pet peeve about GT Sport. Just let the adults that invest tons of money into their racing rigs drive the friggin’ cars that are programmed into the game without having to get divorced from spending all day and night grinding away for credits. I can honestly say I haven’t seen or read one thing about PC3 that has me excited.

Pretty sure you can turn it off, the sim setting video drifting the Corvette C6 don't have any of those sticking out on the track.

I deliberately took some time to reply and I have to say that I was shocked by the first trailer, the second trailer with a guy trying to drift around every corner doesn't convince me either.

That being said the comments made by people close to the game have given me some hope. Whether I will buy the game day one will depend on a few things though:
1) will a PS4 copy be playable on a PS5, if not than it needs to be one hell of a good game
2) the gameplay obviously, independent reviewers that confirm it at least tries to be a sim
3) the new features, I highly doubt we will get custom championships as we haven't heard about it so for me that would at least require a big improvement in AI driving and a non-scripted career mode

This may sound a bit negative but I'm actually quite hopeful that this will turn out to be a good game. I'm just not sure if it adds enough for me to justify a day one buy

...I’m super skeptical about this release. It just doesn’t make sense when Ian Bell himself constantly said the PS4 processing power was the limiting factor in realizing the game’s full potential. (Of course one could argue the porting was done so poorly that it may have caused most of the bugs and processing performance issues - I’m not tech savvy enough to know about this though, so I’m basically pulling that right out of my you-know-what).
I was always skeptical that there wasn't anything left to optimize/rebuild/improve to wring more out of the engine. :)

They've also added highly-requested features like upgrades/customization and custom liveries, good examples of what more could be done on the same hardware. PCARS2 was a relatively slim game, and the point of PCARS3 seems to be to flesh it out. If it's pretty well ironed-out on launch day too, that would be another win, and an easier base to (hopefully) support for longer while they gear up the next-gen title.

The car list didn't compare to Forza or GT but it was still good compared to F1 or Nascar games. As far as every other aspect it was a powerhouse.(tracks and options)

it's a pre-order for me as soon as I can find one on Steam but still curious about netcode and how MP will be; I for one did not do career on pc2. I would've have done something like a license in GT series though :)

And unfortunately, my expectations are low regarding the one thing that I think was a missed opportunity twice (pc1 and pc2), in my opinion obviously, which is driver swaps. Especially put into perspective at the sim racing at the time. Even more so now after the 24h Le Mans Virtual past weekend if you as me.

But even for small sprint races (90m or even 1h - intl gt open anyone?), driver swap would be awesome as it is in real life and obviously for online just as well. It's such a nice "twist" to racing :)

Wolfe, I agree with nearly everything you say but this.

PC2 is incredibly deep and robust. When you add up the features, it boggles the mind that they packed so much in this game on a console.
It is a deep and robust sim, and a wide sandbox. But as a videogame, it left quite a bit of room to grow. The career mode is stiff and lifeless IMO, unhelpful, and a repetitive scripted experience if you wanted to simulate a career in a particular class. There were no upgrades or modifications available, only some tuner and trackday models of certain cars. We could not even assign basic personal liveries from a handful of patterns, colors, and logos. Leaderboards were limited to umbrella categories that showcased only the fastest cars, with ghosts only available for the fastest times. Multiplayer matchmaking was limited.

It's not exactly a great thing when common advice in a subforum like ours (and it's not wrong) is to just ignore the career mode and do things your own way, learning at your own pace, in custom events...or to skip the in-game lobby list or leaderboards, and join a league or online leaderboard instead. It sounds like PCARS3 is poised to tackle those things, and to get more value out of its depth and robustness.

I admit I was imprecise with my wording. :)

Last edited:
It was quite a while that I did anything in the career mode so I started a new one recently just to remember myself which improvements I'd like to see in PC3:
1) obviously non-scripted weather, as Wolfe above me said it takes away the fun to repeat a certain championship
2) more involvement with the team
3) additional incentives to participate in practice, or even qualifying, sessions. This could be combined with point two
4) progressions without the need to win, this appears to be implemented by the xp / credits system
5) better balance in AI behavior in different wheather conditions compared to your own car
6) in invitational / manufacturer events, assuming they return, the ability to set practice and qualifying sessions

For some of these points I'm quite certain they have found ways to improve this, others I'm more skeptical about

It was quite a while that I did anything in the career mode so I started a new one recently just to remember myself which improvements I'd like to see in PC3:
1) obviously non-scripted weather, as Wolfe above me said it takes away the fun to repeat a certain championship
2) more involvement with the team
3) additional incentives to participate in practice, or even qualifying, sessions. This could be combined with point two
4) progressions without the need to win, this appears to be implemented by the xp / credits system
5) better balance in AI behavior in different wheather conditions compared to your own car
6) in invitational / manufacturer events, assuming they return, the ability to set practice and qualifying sessions

For some of these points I'm quite certain they have found ways to improve this, others I'm more skeptical about

Point "3" might be gone for good based on what we heard so far, the career don't seem to be doing practice and qualifying but just going from races to races. Gamespot interview they mention it is less championship structure, less race weekend or calender based but more like a curated greatest hits of racing and going from race day to race day:

The video should start at when they talk about this, if it doesn't it starts at 5:50.

In case anyone worried the sandbox style gameplay is gone, at 5:30 of that video they confirmes that it is still there for players that wanted it.

@TOMMY3688 Thanks for sharing the vid, for me personally that sounds awful. Sandbox is nice but assuming we can't create championships the odds of me buying this game has decreased dramatically. In terms of a sandbox I doubt it adds much to the previous game

They haven't confirm anything on custom championship but I would guess that at least the practice and qualifying will probably be available for the sandbox mode. The whole career talk at the moment makes it sounds like a giant tutorial of sim racing for the more casual audience that are jumping in from Forza to try out something more realistic.

Point "3" might be gone for good based on what we heard so far, the career don't seem to be doing practice and qualifying but just going from races to races. Gamespot interview they mention it is less championship structure, less race weekend or calender based but more like a curated greatest hits of racing and going from race day to race day:

The video should start at when they talk about this, if it doesn't it starts at 5:50.

In case anyone worried the sandbox style gameplay is gone, at 5:30 of that video they confirmes that it is still there for players that wanted it.

Thanks you for posting the video Tommy!

I draw people's attention to the comments made from 13.09 about cars and tracks - Pete Morrish says 13 new track locations each with their layouts. He also refers to 40 new vehicles including some from new manufacturers to the game.

I wondered if there was any significance to his use of the word "vehicles" - but probably not - he probably just meant cars.

After watching the video I'm quite excited for this new game! Over the last few months I have been giving PC2 a break - I picked up GTS for £9.99 at the start of lockdown. It looks like PC3 may include a lot of elements which I will enjoy.

Well apparently that the F&F comes out on August 7th.

So, as much as I would welcome pC3 6 days earlier... just... because :D my expectations are for pC3 release date are now more towards mid September, unfortunately.

Especially because f&f really isn't my kind of thing (including the movies).

Well apparently that the F&F comes out on August 7th.

So, as much as I would welcome pC3 6 days earlier... just... because :D my expectations are for pC3 release date are now more towards mid September, unfortunately.

Especially because f&f really isn't my kind of thing (including the movies).

I guess it depends on the views of summer. I mean if they're tricking us into buying an arcade game, then maybe its Australian summer and its coming out in December during their summer.

Midsummer runs from today until 25th June so I guess it won't be midsummer!

Autumn starts between 21st and 24th September, so presumably a summer release is any time before 21st September. My guess is a September release because I can't believe SMS would be this quiet if the game was releasing earlier.

Project cars released 22nd September & Project cars 2 released 21st September.
So Project cars 3 might be around that period again.

It's very likely. I've always thought of that as the beginning of Autumn personally. Hopefully they'll announce soon.

@Mr Grumpy

Good call. Probably what will happen although on the very last day of summer if that's the case for pC3. Still wish we can have it sooner.

@MagpieRacer
I highly doubt about the arcade. That's what F&F is for IHMO. Then again, I'm a known pCARS supporter from day one and I'm a bit sad we couldn't keep up with development this time around.

Even without early access releases. Just to discuss as in the past. I at least miss those days. It was good fun and still learn quite a bit in the process. Actually, this is exactly why it's sad to see some comments around the web... again just because it's pCARS.

We will find out soon enough though :)

@Mr Grumpy

Good call. Probably what will happen although on the very last day of summer if that's the case for pC3. Still wish we can have it sooner.

@MagpieRacer
I highly doubt about the arcade. That's what F&F is for IHMO. Then again, I'm a known pCARS supporter from day one and I'm a bit sad we couldn't keep up with development this time around.

Even without early access releases. Just to discuss as in the past. I at least miss those days. It was good fun and still learn quite a bit in the process. Actually, this is exactly why it's sad to see some comments around the web... again just because it's pCARS.

We will find out soon enough though :)

Oh I know it won't be arcade, I was being facetious and taking the mick out of the relentless arcade game comments. :D

Latest Posts

Back