RIDE 3

• Thread starter DarthMosco
  • 912 comments
The bikes do turn from left to right quicker in Ride 3 than they did on previous titles so it'll probably just need a bit of time to get used to it

On the XBO controller that probably wouldn't be such an issue, but as ever, DS analogs are too loose.

The bikes do turn from left to right quicker in Ride 3 than they did on previous titles so it'll probably just need a bit of time to get used to it
Really? That's great news.

From the little I've played RIDE2 (and quite a lot of RIDE1) it always felt like it took an eternity. Sure, you got used to it eventually but it never seemed quite right.

Customisation and Modification options (including a look at Race Modification)

MXH
Really? That's great news.

From the little I've played RIDE2 (and quite a lot of RIDE1) it always felt like it took an eternity. Sure, you got used to it eventually but it never seemed quite right.
Yep, take a little while to adjust, but it makes getting through chicanes a lot easier.

Edited to add:
CBR 300R at Tenerife

CBR 300R at Magny-Cours - Night Race

Last edited:
How are the graphics compared to Ride 2? I've watched YouTube videos but a bit hard to tell, and there are comments saying it looks worse or no better than Ride 2. Not that I put a whole lot of trust in the majority of YouTube comments.
I'm on a standard PS4.

How are the graphics compared to Ride 2? I've watched YouTube videos but a bit hard to tell, and there are comments saying it looks worse or no better than Ride 2. Not that I put a whole lot of trust in the majority of YouTube comments.
I'm on a standard PS4.

[coming from limited game time with Ride 3]

Having barely played Ride, played Ride 2 quite a lot, and pretty much all of Milestone's MotoGP games (still on MotoGP 18), I personally think Ride 3 looks really good. It's not quite GTS levels, but overall the graphics seem good-to-great. (again, with limited time with the game) The bike models look nice, the first person & helmet-cam views are very usable, in fact, I ran most of my TT laps in helmet cam.

I'm on a standard PS4 and it looks at LEAST as good, if not better than, MotoGP 18, but without the frame rate stutter that you got in that game. Personally, I think, these motorcycle games coming from a small developer who has to have limited resources (whence compared to say, PD, Codemasters, or EA) in terms of what they can put into each installment seems to get a good product out. Is it perfect? No, but neither is GT Sport. . . can't tell you the last time I played GTS, and I can only imagine the manpower behind that game versus Ride 3. For me, I think the Ride games are more "FUN". :cheers:

I don't think Milestone's problem has ever been resources just focus and attention to detail. All there games are basically cookie cutter and if they would approach it that way their games would easily be better. but since they apparently don't they keep making the same mistakes over and over.

For me Ride 3 is more of the same. Could have been but isn't. Still seem like developed by someone who has never ridden a motorcycle and based physics on gopro footage. While I think the interface and load times are improved overall game design and physics are worse. I've yet to see the benefits of the unreal engine on the console. MotoGP 17 ran 60fps on standard PS4 with up to 30 bikes yet Ride 3 can't do it with 12 bikes? The graphics aren't that great. But even still the bike list..... taking out bikes from the previous game (Yamaha YZ450F) only to charge as dlc is lame. Attention to detail (once again they have destroyed the rear of the R7. Why when they had it correct in the old SBK titles). Also the game isn't as open as they claimed. A lot of items are locked and can't be opened unless you play specific races. So for example can't race the R7 unless you complete the her majesty's cup or whatever which you can't compete until you reach a certain level. If you are a task oriented race gamer then it's a great system. But I'm not and I'm not a collector, I have my favorite bike and just like to race and get my laps in.

AI is just as bad as ever and the constant nagging of connecting to Milestone services if you are offline was enough for me to ditch the game after about 30mins of play. No real point for me. To be honest Ride 3 would have been better off as a patch to Ride 2 because the only upside is slightly better graphics, better game layout and less buggy code. Otherwise it really doesn't offer much more

^^ Definitely a not-buy for you... :sly:

Kidding aside, I get what you're saying, truly. I guess my expectations are lower, and that may be why I can enjoy it and you can't. Dunno.

But, and this is just this morons (meaning me) opinion - everything that you typed out about Milestone's efforts with the Ride series and MotoGP 18 could be turned to Gran Turismo Sport [and I may get completely roasted for putting that, don't care - bring it] and just as equally spun. Heck even GT6. Talk about more of the same. To me, the only aspect that has improved since the VERY first Gran Turismo is the hardware (hence, better graphics... that's it to me) as the lack of innovation from GT1 is abysmal at best - and we are talking about elementary football vs. NFL football in terms of "resources" between the two developers.

As far as comparing to MotoGP 17, that was their own engine , and personally, I think they should have stuck with it because I think 17 looked better than 18, but, c'est la vie... Anyway, not every game is for everybody, unfortunately. I will say that, anymore, I try and find things I like about a game versus the things I don't like, ie., there's plenty to not like about MotoGP 18, but if you can get past some of that stuff it becomes a really good racing game.

honestly man I really do try to lower my expectations but Milestone still manages to frustrate me lol. I don't disagree with you about the GT series but at least with that they have a certain level of quality that they adhere to. I think now the series is just overly bloated and I really lost interest after GT3/4 when they really moved away from the SuperGT class. I'm a long time Milestone consumer all the way back to their first SBK game and own every bike game they've made, so for me it's frustrating because it's a lot of little things they keep doing and going in circles. 5 simple things could easily fix all of the racing games but they never listen

Bike games are always going to be a niche market and with no real competition Milestone is just lazy and unfocused. Yeah MotoGP 17 was their own and ran great so I don't understand why the switch for an engine that has worse performance. But when it comes to the actual game it's design and execution that really lets me down when it comes to Milestone. Simple little things like geez it would be nice for the game to save my preferred view instead of having to reset it everytime I play the game. MotoGP 18 they finally gotten the braking a little better so that you can actually trail to the apex only for them to remove it for Ride 3 :( Always being a year behind in the MX and SX games. Ride 3 gear selection is more or less the same since the first game, etc...... So what really frustrates me is since they are really just re-releasing the same game over and over same features just renamed why all the same issues? lol

To be honest if they had fixed the R7 model (they have the old model which was correct), included the YZ450F in the base game and included the 04-06 R1 (obivously I'm a Yamaha guy) and had the game profile stored local instead of Milestones server so it wouldn't keep prompting you to connect my only real gripe with the game would be the bad AI, awkward 1st person view and the lack of more real world circuts and the lack of a championship mode.

To be fair the lack of a custom offline championship mode is my #1 complaint with all non-licenced racing games these days. Not a fan at all of this new "career" mode structure that everyone has adopted

so i figured out disabling auto-sync stops the game from constantly prompting you to connect to Milestone services. generally that is the sync local and online save files. but anyway 1 gripe resolved lol

Only had time for a short session tonight so I did a few time trials and fired up Ride 2 for a superficial comparison.

- In track and bike details I don't really feel that graphics are much improved. However wet weather racing has seen a massive improvement to the wet road and rain effects (bringing Ride 3 up to around current gen expectations in that regard). I think that goes for night races as well, though I only had time to finish with one quick look.
- I think Ride 2 has the edge in number of road/fantasy tracks. I don't think any has been recreated for the new engine in Ride 3, although I like the new ones I've tried. I would have preferred more of these instead of an increased number of licensed race tracks, which I've raced on a million times before in assorted racing games over the last 15+ years.
- Sense of speed (first person cams, bike games feel lifeless to me in third person, even though that seems to be how almost every YouTuber plays them for some reason) feels a bit faster in Ride 3. Although it's no match for the crazy thrill of the recent TT Isle of Man game.
- I like helmet cam better in Ride 3, even though they have just turned the edges into vignetting instead of a modeled helmet. However you can really see and feel the rider's movements in relation to the bike, unlike the also otherwise good handlebars cam which is a bit more static.
- Much more lively sound in Ride 3, at least on the few bikes I compared.
- The handling feels slightly different but I have a hard time putting into words in what ways exactly, aside from less twitchiness in the rain in Ride 3. I've never ridden a real bike so I can not at all comment on how well it works as a sim. I'm guessing the fact that motorcycle games don't have an equivalent of a FFB wheel already makes it a more difficult proposition to try to simulate the real thing.

2016 Triumph Street Twin

I haven't had time to watch @Scaff 's videos, but it sounds like he's already addressed some of the photography issues. It's rudimentary at best. Ignoring my artless composition above, you can see the lack of shutter adjustment (among many other missing adjustments) makes the photo feel dead. There's no sense of speed. I don't see myself doing a lot with the photography, which is disappointing.

I felt much more confident on the bikes today. I managed to win a couple of chapters in the career mode, Two-Stoke 125cc Icons and Sport Heritage Icons. I also bought a Horex VR6 because that is one of my real world dream bikes. I'm learning to be smoother with my inputs. I'm also learning the tracks. Especially on some of the longer tracks like the Ulster GP circuit and others, that's going to take some time. Sadly the mini-map in the bottom left corner is useless for that. It shows me where I am right now, but it doesn't show me what's coming up.

At this time yesterday, I thought I might have just wasted $80. Today, even with the disappointing photography, I'm feeling a little better about my purchase. I'm hoping future updates will address a few of these problems.

Thanks for that vidéo Scaff Unbelievable that shutterspeed is still missing. Game looks very nice though. Maybe strange questions, but does it work with a wheel?

2016 Triumph Street Twin
you can see the lack of shutter adjustment (among many other missing adjustments) makes the photo feel dead. There's no sense of speed. I don't see myself doing a lot with the photography, which is disappointing.

Such a shame guys about photomode, one of the main reasons i cancelled my order, we should be able to do pictures like driveclubs bikes..like this.
full

I have just bought it for PC its available now on steam, Was expecting it to be available closer to 6PM when the store updates(for UK time that is). The PC release was a bit strange since you couldn't order the gold edition but they offer the DLC as a complete pack with a discount (got the 3 dlc packs for a little under £4).

The photo mode renderer and setup requires a good deal of work to achieve actual photography-like behaviours, so in one respect, I'm not surprised they didn't put the effort in.

Photos are fun, but I doubt it would ever be the sole reason I buy a game. Maybe it's on their to-do list now they've migrated engines, and an improved photo mode will appear in a future Milestone game.

In other news, I'm still waiting on my physical PC copy to arrive...
The current Steam deal is actually the game (£40) and three DLC packs together, with a bulk 10 % discount -> £43.79. Otherwise the DLC is full-price at £8 odd total.

But: Steam doesn't have the season pass or the credits "DLC" (yet?). I'll probably wait and see on that front before buying any DLC; Steam's bundle system is a bit weird in that they cannot contain future content (even though Milestone has announced all the DLC already), but the platform has the facility to give you games (/ packages) based on ownership of other games etc.

Played a little more last night. Did the first bit of career and a quick race... here's a couple of pics, couple from Photo Mode and one or two from the replay.

enhance

New Livery! ! !

enhance

enhance

And a little Show-boatin' !!

enhance

Oops!!

enhance

Here's a couple MotoGP 18 shots for comparison.

enhance

enhance

Still enjoying both these games... (really need to pop MXGP Pro back in)

I don't think Milestone's problem has ever been resources just focus and attention to detail. All there games are basically cookie cutter and if they would approach it that way their games would easily be better. but since they apparently don't they keep making the same mistakes over and over.

For me Ride 3 is more of the same. Could have been but isn't. Still seem like developed by someone who has never ridden a motorcycle and based physics on gopro footage. While I think the interface and load times are improved overall game design and physics are worse. I've yet to see the benefits of the unreal engine on the console. MotoGP 17 ran 60fps on standard PS4 with up to 30 bikes yet Ride 3 can't do it with 12 bikes? The graphics aren't that great. But even still the bike list..... taking out bikes from the previous game (Yamaha YZ450F) only to charge as dlc is lame. Attention to detail (once again they have destroyed the rear of the R7. Why when they had it correct in the old SBK titles). Also the game isn't as open as they claimed. A lot of items are locked and can't be opened unless you play specific races. So for example can't race the R7 unless you complete the her majesty's cup or whatever which you can't compete until you reach a certain level. If you are a task oriented race gamer then it's a great system. But I'm not and I'm not a collector, I have my favorite bike and just like to race and get my laps in.

AI is just as bad as ever and the constant nagging of connecting to Milestone services if you are offline was enough for me to ditch the game after about 30mins of play. No real point for me. To be honest Ride 3 would have been better off as a patch to Ride 2 because the only upside is slightly better graphics, better game layout and less buggy code. Otherwise it really doesn't offer much more

honestly man I really do try to lower my expectations but Milestone still manages to frustrate me lol. I don't disagree with you about the GT series but at least with that they have a certain level of quality that they adhere to. I think now the series is just overly bloated and I really lost interest after GT3/4 when they really moved away from the SuperGT class. I'm a long time Milestone consumer all the way back to their first SBK game and own every bike game they've made, so for me it's frustrating because it's a lot of little things they keep doing and going in circles. 5 simple things could easily fix all of the racing games but they never listen

Bike games are always going to be a niche market and with no real competition Milestone is just lazy and unfocused. Yeah MotoGP 17 was their own and ran great so I don't understand why the switch for an engine that has worse performance. But when it comes to the actual game it's design and execution that really lets me down when it comes to Milestone. Simple little things like geez it would be nice for the game to save my preferred view instead of having to reset it everytime I play the game. MotoGP 18 they finally gotten the braking a little better so that you can actually trail to the apex only for them to remove it for Ride 3 :( Always being a year behind in the MX and SX games. Ride 3 gear selection is more or less the same since the first game, etc...... So what really frustrates me is since they are really just re-releasing the same game over and over same features just renamed why all the same issues? lol

To be honest if they had fixed the R7 model (they have the old model which was correct), included the YZ450F in the base game and included the 04-06 R1 (obivously I'm a Yamaha guy) and had the game profile stored local instead of Milestones server so it wouldn't keep prompting you to connect my only real gripe with the game would be the bad AI, awkward 1st person view and the lack of more real world circuts and the lack of a championship mode.

To be fair the lack of a custom offline championship mode is my #1 complaint with all non-licenced racing games these days. Not a fan at all of this new "career" mode structure that everyone has adopted

These two posts get to about the core of why Milestone is so frustrating, and it mirrors my experiences of playing through the first two RIDE games, and then SLR Evo. But really, it's emblematic of the now changed landscape for game development, and really publishing: there are the have, and have nots, with little in between. Milestone is one of the few mid-tier developers left, and they know that all they have to is skimp out and continue with the same cheap feeling, problematic game design because they are getting at niches within the driving game market, and they are doing it competently enough so that they can assure their survival for another year.

One wonders that if a developer or publisher with a big budget decided to make their own motorcycle game, then chances are, RIDE would be toast, but it would also show the glaring differences and problems that RIDE, and by extension, all Milestone games have had for years.

I agree with yours and RZ05's posts... but I guess my point was sorta missed. while Milestone may skimp and slide by, year after year, the big developers do it as well. It's exactly the same. So, I don't understand your expectation of Milestone (and I have no idea why I'm defending them, really not trying to defend them) when Polyphony does the same thing, and it takes them YEARS to get out the next mediocre installment (and I like the GT series - have'em all). they all do it, for crying out loud - look at anything EA does, anything. Racing, sports, shooters, etc. etc.

Anyway, guess I need to do some work. :cheers:

its a little of topic but talking about big company's skimping or not doing a good job. Has anybody seen fallout 76? Bethesda really put there foot in it with that one, Even milestone are using a better engine than them lol

Has anyone noticed that in career mode, your opponents/participants are actual PSN ID's from other people instead of AI rider names?? i find it pretty annoying as i would prefer AI rider names.
The only way i can get the game to display AI instead of PSN ID's is to disconnect from the internet completely

Has anyone noticed that in career mode, your opponents/participants are actual PSN ID's from other people instead of AI rider names?? i find it pretty annoying as i would prefer AI rider names.
The only way i can get the game to display AI instead of PSN ID's is to disconnect from the internet completely

So are they using a similar system to what I've heard Forza uses, "drivatars" (driveretards?)?

Back