RIDE

• Thread starter Fryto
  • 1,129 comments
I'm looking for a worthy successor to Tourist Trophy. Loved the bike collecting in itself, that there was a nice write up about every bike and its history, and that they all felt and sounded different. Could one consider this as a current gen version of it?

Might pick it up during a sale if so.

I'm looking for a worthy successor to Tourist Trophy. Loved the bike collecting in itself, that there was a nice write up about every bike and its history, and that they all felt and sounded different. Could one consider this as a current gen version of it?

Might pick it up during a sale if so.
There's a bit of blurb for each bike and manufacturer (which you can also easily read this time at your leisure), and there are just about enough interesting bikes from various eras (just) and various usage niches (just) to make it work in that sense. It's a shame that the race / career structure does nothing much with it to frame it in any larger context, as I said before.

RIDE 2 is nothing like as slick a package as TT, either in terms of the overall feel of the interaction with the bikes (despite obviously inferior physics on TT's part) or the events and progression; although RIDE (2) is easily more accessible and less clinical. It's far from terrible, but the lack of attention to detail might put you off (e.g. lots of data entry errors that create stats issues and indeed the wrong sounds I mentioned, weird animations, modeling errors etc.)

Customisation, although relatively limited, is a substantial boon for the RIDE series, and is possibly one of the most fun aspects of the game - it really heightens whatever collector's urge you might have!

I did quite like that I could select (close analogues of if not always exactly) my own real-life riding gear for my "avatar", too - this time they've gone with a TT-like multi-slot approach so you can save four outfits. :dopey:

Is Feb 2017 really the US release date? The game ismore or less finished, why wait to release it in the US PlayStation Store?
Milestone games tend to release in the US up to a year after the EU - there has never been a proper explanation as to why, but it seems to be getting quicker.

I'm really on the fence right now, reading good and bad

Hi,

Got both Ride and Ride2 on PS4.

Good:
Graphics improved
Plenty bikes and tracks.
Physics feel better, smoother inputs.
Loading times improved a lot!
Lots of customising.

Bad:
Sounds seem really compressed, specially Suzuki's.
No sound change after applying exhaust. Ride did this better
Sound mixing is not good, AI bikes sound too loud (even far away)
No test ride....you can test Team riders bikes.......so yeah why not all bikes??
AI does stick to their line, I often crash and they keep going....
You often have to fully upgrade bike to keep up with AI (same as Ride)

Do note, only play using Helmet cam, so sound experience might be different using chase cam etc.

So yeah BUY YES/NO?

YES......if you really love bikes like me :)
If not, Ride will do OK.......even played it yesterday again....as Milestone decided to drop the Suz. K5....best Ride bike and great sound.
Biggest problem I have with Ride2 is the sound....no bike gives me the aggressive sound you get when riding a real bike.....

Hi,

Got both Ride and Ride2 on PS4.

Good:
Graphics improved
Plenty bikes and tracks.
Physics feel better, smoother inputs.
Loading times improved a lot!
Lots of customising.

Bad:
Sounds seem really compressed, specially Suzuki's.
No sound change after applying exhaust. Ride did this better
Sound mixing is not good, AI bikes sound too loud (even far away)
No test ride....you can test Team riders bikes.......so yeah why not all bikes??
AI does stick to their line, I often crash and they keep going....
You often have to fully upgrade bike to keep up with AI (same as Ride)

Do note, only play using Helmet cam, so sound experience might be different using chase cam etc.

So yeah BUY YES/NO?

YES......if you really love bikes like me :)
If not, Ride will do OK.......even played it yesterday again....as Milestone decided to drop the Suz. K5....best Ride bike and great sound.
Biggest problem I have with Ride2 is the sound....no bike gives me the aggressive sound you get when riding a real bike.....

Puzom
Thanks for the in depth reply, would you mind having a listen to the sounds from chase cam please? I've heard a few say helmet view is muffled yet chase cam is fine (I play RIDE in chase view)
I love the way the bikes move around very closely to the way the real thing does when pushed hard

Yes I'm very much into bikes, have been riding (off-road, road and track) since the age of 12, I'm now in my 40s and have a Honda Fireblade as my good weather plaything.

I do still enjoy RIDE 1 apart from the loading times, and as you mention they are vastly improved this time around.

I have a question it might sound a bit stupid but what brakes should I use and when? I currently use the front brake mostly and only use the rear under heavy straight line braking. I'm pretty sure that's not right as the A.I really catch me up on some brake points.

@bluemoon_19 -- The front brake is the one you should use primarily under heavy straight line braking, since it offers more braking force and can lift the rear wheel, unsettling the bike. The rear brake is useful for trail-braking into corners and adjusting your line, when you don't want or need full braking power.

I use a mix of both on almost all corners, and generally hang on to the rear brake longer.

Oh yeah, I forgot they removed the K5. Animal that thing, total grin machine. What's the deal? Is it because a new one's just arrived that might still not "better" it?
I have a question it might sound a bit stupid but what brakes should I use and when? I currently use the front brake mostly and only use the rear under heavy straight line braking. I'm pretty sure that's not right as the A.I really catch me up on some brake points.

Trail braking is ultra-important on a bike, and the AI are simply excellent at it. I tend to find they catch me up when I brake as well.

Under heavy braking, the front end does most of the work because the relatively high centre of gravity and short wheelbase mean there is loads more grip on the front than rear ("weight transfer"), and it's very easy to lock the rear (especially combined with engine braking; hence slipper clutches). But you do need a bit of rear to really slow down in this game, moreso than in the first.

When you've got the bike on its ear, using the front brake will pull the bike tighter into the corner, to a point, i.e. the limit of adhesion (traction circle). Breaching that limit would cause a low-side, but using the front might also make the bike spiky on the steering up to that point - it's a bit of a dangerously fine line (although I'm more used to it off-road where recovery windows for slides are much larger).

Using the rear will mechanically push you wide / stabilise the turn, meaning you have to slow down more to achieve a given yaw rate as compared to front brake only. Again, to a point: if you overdo it, the rear will just whip round on you. It's generally the safer option in most conditions, but not necessarily the fastest way mid-turn.

So if you're still trying to slow down whilst cornering, a bit of front and rear together is useful because the weight transfer is not as severe (some grip is being used to turn instead). That means you can effectively use both tyres to slow you down without sacrificing cornering grip as much as you would just using one brake on one tyre. Varying the amount of each brake can be used to adjust the balance of over / under steer caused by each brake's action (below the grip limit), meaning line adjustment without additional speed penalty.

Some of this is related to geometry changes: front brake causes fork dive, and rear brake can either jack up or compress the swingarm slightly (depending on pivot geometry and caliper placement, plus any linkages) as well as dive the fork a bit, so that comes into effect mid-corner, too and affects the front / rear grip balance along with spring rates and damping and blah blah...

The rear brake is also very useful for covering wheelies on the more powerful machines. The issue with all these additional usages in the game is that you don't get an analogue control for the rear brake by default, so I find it's quite limited in its application in all but the heaviest of braking.

Some professional riders claim to only use the front brake (notably Rossi), so it's maybe no big deal. In RIDE 2, I use both brakes for big stops and switch to front only for very gentle trail braking right up to the apex; get it turned and gas out like a maniac :D

In the real world I use front brake only for hard braking, and a lightly-applied mixture of front and rear for very limited trail braking, plus "pucker" / line adjust moments - generally preferring the rear brake, even exclusively at lower speeds, for "safety".

If you ever find this book, read it! ;) Learned alot from it.

51bN1Wo%2BQTL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Puzom
Thanks for the in depth reply, would you mind having a listen to the sounds from chase cam please? I've heard a few say helmet view is muffled yet chase cam is fine (I play RIDE in chase view)
I love the way the bikes move around very closely to the way the real thing does when pushed hard

Yes I'm very much into bikes, have been riding (off-road, road and track) since the age of 12, I'm now in my 40s and have a Honda Fireblade as my good weather plaything.

I do still enjoy RIDE 1 apart from the loading times, and as you mention they are vastly improved this time around.

Chase cam does sound better, bit more aggressive :) But overall i feel they sound a bit high pitched and too clean.
I really like the Suz. K5 in Ride....and sadly none sound like this in Ride 2.

But do enjoy the game :)

You can win a copy here:
http://www.morebikes.co.uk/win-a-copy-of-the-brilliant-ride2-game-on-xbox-one-and-ps4/

The issue with all these additional usages in the game is that you don't get an analogue control for the rear brake by default, so I find it's quite limited in its application in all but the heaviest of braking.
As I've mentioned before, I use the right stick for throttle and front brake (same handlebar), and the right trigger for analog control of the rear brake (right-hand pedal).

@bluemoon_19 -- The front brake is the one you should use primarily under heavy straight line braking, since it offers more braking force and can lift the rear wheel, unsettling the bike. The rear brake is useful for trail-braking into corners and adjusting your line, when you don't want or need full braking power.

I use a mix of both on almost all corners, and generally hang on to the rear brake longer.

Oh yeah, I forgot they removed the K5. Animal that thing, total grin machine. What's the deal? Is it because a new one's just arrived that might still not "better" it?

Trail braking is ultra-important on a bike, and the AI are simply excellent at it. I tend to find they catch me up when I brake as well.

Under heavy braking, the front end does most of the work because the relatively high centre of gravity and short wheelbase mean there is loads more grip on the front than rear ("weight transfer"), and it's very easy to lock the rear (especially combined with engine braking; hence slipper clutches). But you do need a bit of rear to really slow down in this game, moreso than in the first.

When you've got the bike on its ear, using the front brake will pull the bike tighter into the corner, to a point, i.e. the limit of adhesion (traction circle). Breaching that limit would cause a low-side, but using the front might also make the bike spiky on the steering up to that point - it's a bit of a dangerously fine line (although I'm more used to it off-road where recovery windows for slides are much larger).

Using the rear will mechanically push you wide / stabilise the turn, meaning you have to slow down more to achieve a given yaw rate as compared to front brake only. Again, to a point: if you overdo it, the rear will just whip round on you. It's generally the safer option in most conditions, but not necessarily the fastest way mid-turn.

So if you're still trying to slow down whilst cornering, a bit of front and rear together is useful because the weight transfer is not as severe (some grip is being used to turn instead). That means you can effectively use both tyres to slow you down without sacrificing cornering grip as much as you would just using one brake on one tyre. Varying the amount of each brake can be used to adjust the balance of over / under steer caused by each brake's action (below the grip limit), meaning line adjustment without additional speed penalty.

Some of this is related to geometry changes: front brake causes fork dive, and rear brake can either jack up or compress the swingarm slightly (depending on pivot geometry and caliper placement, plus any linkages) as well as dive the fork a bit, so that comes into effect mid-corner, too and affects the front / rear grip balance along with spring rates and damping and blah blah...

The rear brake is also very useful for covering wheelies on the more powerful machines. The issue with all these additional usages in the game is that you don't get an analogue control for the rear brake by default, so I find it's quite limited in its application in all but the heaviest of braking.

Some professional riders claim to only use the front brake (notably Rossi), so it's maybe no big deal. In RIDE 2, I use both brakes for big stops and switch to front only for very gentle trail braking right up to the apex; get it turned and gas out like a maniac :D

In the real world I use front brake only for hard braking, and a lightly-applied mixture of front and rear for very limited trail braking, plus "pucker" / line adjust moments - generally preferring the rear brake, even exclusively at lower speeds, for "safety".

Wow very nice thanks for the tips guys I tried the ones @Wolfe mention and they helped a lot, the bike felt so much more stable into the corners. @Griffith500 thanks, very indepth I will try apply this next time I have ago. Its also nice to see its not just me who has trouble with the a.i's god like braking lol

Wow very nice thanks for the tips guys I tried the ones @Wolfe mention and they helped a lot, the bike felt so much more stable into the corners. @Griffith500 thanks, very indepth I will try apply this next time I have ago. Its also nice to see its not just me who has trouble with the a.i's god like braking lol

AI brakes pretty good indeed :)
Fully upgraded brakes does help and good downshifting (not to fast or your rear locks up :) )

As I've mentioned before, I use the right stick for throttle and front brake (same handlebar), and the right trigger for analog control of the rear brake (right-hand pedal).
I must have missed that, I'll have to try it since I also use the right stick for front brake and throttle, and I realise now your setup is exactly how it was in TT, too. Makes sense. :)

I had difficulty with the leaning and steering both being on the left stick, and I've just got used to another new control scheme, but what's one more to try? Especially since the fine control of the rear brake would be very useful, and I suppose the leaning could be offloaded onto a face button somehow...

Had to take a few days off from gaming, now I'm back to my upgraded KTM Duke 690 and repeatedly getting my behind kicked by the AI (with rare podium finishes on twisty tracks without long straights) in both tour and quick races. I do like time trials but not as my only source of income for saving up for more bikes.
Anyone got a good recommendation for a bike below around 12,000 credits - don't care too much about that class - that can more reliably come in the top 3 in quick races and help me earn credits faster? Perhaps I should just go for the Yamaha XJR 1300, which seems to be the one I repeatedly lose to with my KTM.

I have been enjoying my first few hours with it, the bikes handling feels good to me kn semi-pro and the loading times have not been that bad. The single rider events load pretty fast just seems lower when you need to load the a.i riders.

One thing I don't understand is the PP system. I tried the 2 stroke 135PP series and was getting destroyed on a 135PP Aprilia rs 125, I looked and the a.i and they were using the Honda NSR 125. I tried that and at only 129PP I won by over 5 seconds.

I bought the NSR 125. Seems to be working out better in the podium finish department (won my first quick race on it on Monza) than the Duke 690.

... Edit: Thank you Honda. Won two races and my first invitational without breaking a sweat. Bike choice really does seem to have a huge impact on race difficulty, more so than most racing games (but I guess closer to real life when the vehicles don't belong to a regulated racing class).

Last edited:
I bought the NSR 125. Seems to be working out better in the podium finish department (won my first quick race on it on Monza) than the Duke 690.

... Edit: Thank you Honda. Won two races and my first invitational without breaking a sweat. Bike choice really does seem to have a huge impact on race difficulty, more so than most racing games (but I guess closer to real life when the vehicles don't belong to a regulated racing class).
Yeah it is all about the bike you choose. I can,t remember the bike but it was 268pp stock and it wiped the floor with everything in the first 270pp steet bike series. I am now playing on hard since I have bikes that can keep in with the a.i

Edit: on credits if you have about £4 spare you can buy a credit booster that doubles credits earned. So if you 5k plus say 500 bonus the booster will double it to 11k

Had to take a few days off from gaming, now I'm back to my upgraded KTM Duke 690 and repeatedly getting my behind kicked by the AI (with rare podium finishes on twisty tracks without long straights) in both tour and quick races. I do like time trials but not as my only source of income for saving up for more bikes.
Anyone got a good recommendation for a bike below around 12,000 credits - don't care too much about that class - that can more reliably come in the top 3 in quick races and help me earn credits faster? Perhaps I should just go for the Yamaha XJR 1300, which seems to be the one I repeatedly lose to with my KTM.
CubZ8O1WcAAXnbS.jpg

^^^^^^ooooooph

Are there any other old two-stokes in this?
There is a good amount, including NSR, TZR, Aprilia RS 125 and 250, also KR1S and first Cagiva Mito . My favourite bikes so far are the Bimota V due and yamaha R6. The Aprilia RS250 is the easiest below 300pp two stroke to win on. It has lower PP than the RGV but is faster.

Ride 2 has the least bugs in a Milestone game that I have seen. There are a few, but nothing game breaking yet. I have it on PC and it is not a very demanding game. With a GTX1080 I have it maxed out with 4k DSR and getting about 90fps average. It forgets my controls so I have to re assign everything every now and then. Also the bike thumbnails get mixed up sometimes and also I have tried to customise a bike a few times and had the wrong bike show up in the garage, sometimes not even a bike I own.

The game has some weird bugs in the rider animation when crashing, the graphics are better than the first ride but not by a big margin, the sounds are slightly better but also worse on some bikes like the R6, it sounds more tame than the stock bike and so far I found the zxr 750 to have a v4 sound which was disappointing. 2 strokes are sounding much better than the first Ride, but that's not saying much as the old sounds were probably made by a person flapping their lips with their fingers. The new 2 stroke sounds are good, but get really annoying and artificial sounding when you rev it high.

So far I haven't seen any new customisation options besides 2 extra tyre options, so don't know what they are talking about all the new options, there are less options as far as I can see, because the chains only come in gold now and no other colour. Changing the exhaust does not affect the bike sounds still. I have anti wheelie turned off but the game still cuts the engine when trying to wheelie.

The difficulty is not consistent, I leave it on realistic setting and some races I win by 10 seconds and others I need to turn down the difficulty to hard or medium to get first place.

I am enjoying it, about as much as I did the first game, though there are a few bikes missing that were in RIDE.

Just had 2 fails in one, first in urban style amateur the first naked bike series says 570pp but is only 430. The second is a huge gulf in the pp system as I got beat by an XJR 1300 with 353pp( stock is 308pp) I was on an CB650F with 418pp. The thing blew me away even stock it has over 105bhp.

Last edited:
Back