Shift 2 v1.02 Patch

• Thread starter BryantFC
  • 899 comments
What? You weren't hoping for a horns collection, museum card trivia about Japanese cars from the sixties or a livery editor with badge-chips and paint-chips that you can only use once?

Shh, those are my secret desires! People shouldn't know about them!
And B-Spec! Don't forget B-Spec! :sly:
Another secret desire of mine...

:sly:

No patch in Europe = Another nail in the coffin that contains my once strong faith in Sony.

The others are: 9 out of 10 ports come out worse on the PS3; GT5 only being good for online raceing with likeminded people; PSN mess.

If my wheel was not a DFGT I know what I would be doing this morning - trading the PS3 for an XBOX.

Can't wait until I rebuild my PC this summer.

I know I'm venting and probably spouting a load of nonsence - but I'm fed up with how hard it can be to enjoy what has been a life-long hobby.

Last edited:
I know I'm venting and probably spouting a load of nonsence - but I'm fed up with how hard it can be to enjoy what has been a life-long hobby.

Well.. I agree with some of the points you're making. Gran Turismo always used to be the defining reason for me to stick with the PS, but the direction Kaz is pursuing for the franchise is not a particularly compelling one for me and other racing franchises are catching up, if not overtaking GT quickly --> Shift 2 being an excellent example (fun, realistic, great car selection, well-orchestrated gameplay mechanics, compelling career mode, didn't need 6 years of development and hype-building, etc.). 👍

Now if only Uncharted (:drool:) would go cross-platform there would be nothing keeping me from going XBox in the next generation (or when the PS3 dies).

It's really annoyning the situation with the patch.
I really dont get it, why we have to wait in Europe...

Now if only Uncharted (:drool:) would go cross-platform there would be nothing keeping me from going XBox in the next generation (or when the PS3 dies).

Partly agreed, people are still playing other genres beside sim, PS3 got some pretty impressive titles that couldn't be ignored: Metal Gear Solid 4, and 5 (aka Rising upcoming), God Of War 3, InFamous 1 and 2 (coming this fall)... and you can easily firmware flash it for offline playing for testing new games. I kept 2 PS3s for that purpose and the other for GT5 online racing.

Well.. I agree with some of the points you're making. Gran Turismo always used to be the defining reason for me to stick with the PS, but the direction Kaz is pursuing for the franchise is not a particularly compelling one for me and other racing franchises are catching up, if not overtaking GT quickly --> Shift 2 being an excellent example (fun, realistic, great car selection, well-orchestrated gameplay mechanics, compelling career mode, didn't need 6 years of development and hype-building, etc.). 👍

The reason I like PS2 and PS3 is that they support Logitech Wheels and actually are more open to the peripherals supported. Microsoft on the other hand are much more protective and secretive and support only the official xbox wheel and Fanatec's which are very expensive (probably due to licensing) and personally I don't like them (although many use them and I am sure they are nice wheels). Check this thread for a discussion on why Logitech aren't compatible. In short Microsoft is a control-freak!

Furthermore, online gaming on PS3 is free (just like PC, Mac, iPhone and other internet connected devices) while Xbox isn't! Games are already expensive enough, I don't want to pay extra for the privilege of online! Besides, I already pay my Internet provider, I don't see any reason to pay Internet-tolls to Microsoft, it's a matter of principle! And since I am not a 'hardcore' gamer and I am not playing online regularly I don't want to buy a subscription for online which I will use it only once and I may not even like the online mode of that particular game!

Due to these two reasons I don't consider buying an Xbox 360 or any future version unless these issues are resolved. Unlikely, since Xbox users seem happy to pay for online. But in general I don't like the direction where game-consoles are headed and so I don't think I will buy a PS4 or a Xbox 720. I will either build a gaming PC (if there are still full games and not only subscription-based job-like games like iRacing) or get an iPad-like device, which I think will be the future of gaming (with peripherals and full games which far surpass the quality of current console games) since consoles seem outdated (as a concept) to me and too stuck to 'hardcore' gamers!

^ Oh well, so you wouldn't expect GT6 or 7 on next PlayStation generation aka PS4 would you?💡 What a shame, really...

No, GT6,7,whatever is the last game I am looking forward to.

Shift 3 on the other hand, or another game by SMS studios, or a proper Rally game (by Codemasters (especially if they follow the structure of CMR2) or another studio), a proper GTR sequel, or a NFS game in the style of the original NFS or Porsche Unleashed, or maybe an F1 title (although I really don't like modern F1 and I am not watching anymore) are games I am looking forward to.

But I understand I am the minority (and the games I mentioned may never see the light of day) and that's why I won't probably buy a PS4 since it most likely will not have games I like.

Last edited:
The world really isn't all about conspiracy theories and paranoia.

You give everyone at Sony, EA, or wherever way too much credit for putting thought and strategy into something that is just another routine item for them. Have you ever worked for a major corporation? Stuff like this gets delayed for the most boring reasons - Johnny the IT guy has mandatory training to complete, Jimmy the server guru is on vacation, Cindy the VP has to give her stamp of approval but is in meetings, etc.

Nobody is sitting there going "If we delay it a week then GT5 will RRRRUUUUULLLLEEEE the world!!!!" :mischievous::mischievous::mischievous:

Really - to the guys running these servers and loading on these updates this is just another ticket for them to close, and the next one in line could be for some football game or shooter.

Then you tell me why will the patch only be up here in Europe one day after the PSN is up... Im willing to bet on it...

Last edited:
Europe patch didn't released yet? What's goin on? I start thinking tribolik could be right, Sony's slowing it down maybe because of GT5..

Europe patch didn't released yet? What's goin on? I start thinking tribolik could be right, Sony's slowing it down maybe because of GT5..

That would be harsh if true, EA have already lost alot of money due with the legends pack due to PSN being down for weeks.

So why only Europe then and not the US? That would be a bizarre strategy.

Occam's Razor dictates that it's simply an unfortunate matter of the patch getting stuck somewhere in a bureaucratic IT procedure.

Ok I was just saying, you know after PSN outage nothing is 100% sure, safe as it seems. Anyway let's hope it will be out ASAP.

Just got SHIFT 2 (XBOX) and my FANATEC 911 GT2 a few days ago so I am still trying too get used too the game but having a blast even though I suck hard.

On too the patch, now the games FFB stops working everytime you restart a race!! it happens 100% of the time. I read people having issues with FFB stopping randomly, not 100% of the time. I have never lost FFB once but everytime? THIS NEVER HAPPENED TOO ME BEFORE THE PATCH! and I must have restarted races at least 20 times each track I have played because I am not used too the game or the wheel.

Is anyone else having these issues on XBOX 100% of the time? Like start a race, crash on the first or second corner and restart your race and see if your Fanatec wheel lose FFB? I have no FFB if you turn the wheel and let it go it just stays there, no spring back action only vibration.

This is so annoying its driving me crazy! Like I said I never had these problems prepatch.

I have been one of the people who have been saying shift 2 is a good game for a long time. Although I have given up trying to play it for last week or two, in what I see as game breaking flaws, frustration placed upon the user trying to complete loaner car events was unbearable.

Got the patch yesterday, and it certainly has improved the handling/physics, played for 3 hours. I think personally there is still issues, like I have said before, I have never driven a car round a track, so I dont know if this is the way a car should handle. But part of the issues for me, are some cars still feel like they are too light, swaying still exists, especially on some loaner cars.

The FFB still isnt 100% imho, still something strange going on.

I dont know what it is, but there is something in this game, something small, that makes me frustrated, maybe i got used to Gt5 too much, maybe I am trying to compare the handling of both games too much. I will play with the handling settings a bit more later on.

I really really want this game to be perfect, because the enjoyment factor is high, maybe thats the frustration.

Mainly because the US represents 1/6 of the GT5 sales and Europe represents more than 2/3...

Sony aren't so clever or so cunning to think such a plan to... I don't know... keep people from playing Shift 2? What's next? Sabotaging future SMS games not to endanger GT5? Now that I think of it they aren't so dumb either.

Sony is primary a console manufacturer, not a game developer. And a console manufacturer makes profit by selling a lot of consoles and having people buy games (disc games, downloadable games, DLCs, accessories, etc) for this console. Also by selling dev kit to third party developers. The only reason Sony makes first party games (like GT5) is to make more people buy the console so that more third party devs make games for their system, more dev-kits sold, more games sales, fueling more consoles sales, dev-kits, games, therefore more profit.

Furthermore games are for having fun. If you imagine conspiracy theories where Sony on purpose ruins a game then you take the joy out of the game.

In my opinion, have a little more patience...
The patch will be released soon, PSN will be back up and the Legends Pack will be available.
And if a game is aggravating you (like GT5 did for me) stop playing, thinking and arguing how it can become better (like I did for GT5).
You will be much happier! :D

I know you like Shift 2 (like I do) and that the various issues (which every game has) make you mad. I am just saying that you should focus on the good things of a game and have fun. You may think that this is wrong but I believe it's healthier. Games are for having fun! If you have fun overlook the unavoidable omissions or else the omissions will take over the game and you will only see them, therefore ruining the game for you. If the omission, glitches, bugs are so many that you are not having fun, stop playing, bothering and buying future versions. Video games is a chance to take your mind of life's real problems, not fill your mind with more worries and your time with tedious tasks (like grinding...) ;)

Last edited:
Sony aren't so clever or so cunning to think such a plan to... I don't know... keep people from playing Shift 2? What's next? Sabotaging future SMS games not to endanger GT5? Now that I think of it they aren't so dumb either.

Sony is primary a console manufacturer, not a game developer. And a console manufacturer makes profit by selling a lot of consoles and having people buy games (disc games, downloadable games, DLCs, accessories, etc) for this console. Also by selling dev kit to third party developers. The only reason Sony makes first party games (like GT5) is to make more people buy the console so that more third party devs make games for their system, more dev-kits sold, more games sales, fueling more consoles sales, dev-kits, games, therefore more profit.

Furthermore games are for having fun. If you imagine conspiracy theories where Sony on purpose ruins a game then you take the joy out of the game.

The patch will be released soon, PSN will be back up and the Legends Pack will be available.
And if a game is aggravating you (like GT5 did for me) stop playing, thinking and arguing how it can become better (like I did for GT5).

I know you like Shift 2 (like I do) and that the various issues (which every game has) make you mad. I am just saying that you should focus on the good things of a game and have fun. You may think that this is wrong but I believe it's healthier. Games are for having fun! If you have fun overlook the unavoidable omissions or else the omissions will take over the game and you will only see them, therefore ruining the game for you. If the omission, glitches, bugs are so many that you are not having fun, stop playing, bothering and buying future versions. Video games is a chance to take your mind of life's real problems, not fill your mind with more worries and your time with tedious tasks (like grinding...) ;)

+1:tup:

...Games are for having fun! If you have fun overlook the unavoidable omissions or else the omissions will take over the game and you will only see them, therefore ruining the game for you. If the omission, glitches, bugs are so many that you are not having fun, stop playing, bothering and buying future versions. Video games is a chance to take your mind of life's real problems, not fill your mind with more worries and your time with tedious tasks (like grinding...) ;)

+1

Many seem to get frustrated if they cannot win every event or that it takes multiple/many tries to win. If every "real-world" race driver quit if they couldn't win every or most races they entered there wouldn't be any racers left.
It is the challenge that keeps my interest. I only played GT5 for a short time because the challenge was not there (offline). I hear gamers saying that they beat some games in 3-4 hours. I am glad I am not that "talented" - I get my mony's worth!
Relax... next month we won't hardly remember the PSN outage or the patch delay. Many will be on to the next latest and greatest game.
I am any having a blast (when I can find the time to play that is)!

I think its piss funny how everbody rambles on about "oh this has improved " and "oh thats improved" . like the graphics and handling , crash physics or whatever ,and the the official list of changes is released and non of the things were on the list atall and it turns out to be all perception.

It happened alot with Gt5 patches .

AFew on here are gonna look like complete d@#% heads if the official list of improvements is released .

I cant beleive someone actually thinks the crash physics are better post patch ! LOL

I think its piss funny how everbody rambles on about "oh this has improved " and "oh thats improved" . like the graphics and handling , crash physics or whatever ,and the the official list of changes is released and non of the things were on the list atall and it turns out to be all perception.

AFew on here are gonna look like complete d@#% heads if the official list of improvements is released .

I cant beleive someone actually thinks the crash physics are better post patch ! LOL

Thing is buddy is that the "official" list only lists things that were reported on the EA forums and marked as bugs. Improvements that SMS made based on the feedback of people from other forums is not included in the release notes.

i thought the handleing was better after the last update, put me in the d******d catagory please, any news about the patch in europe, i think the handleing has improved with anticipation of it, there i go again.

This game to me is close to being perfect (well almost, custom championships, pit stops and a few ather things appart) but there are few minor issues that are killing it for me, like the FFB, the imput lag (I almost got use to it though), the missing custom liverys and especialy the freezing in my two favorite tracks, and all that seems to be fixed in this patch... and if it is available for some, then why not for everybody??? thats just what I dont understand...

Back