Sony Reveals PlayStation 5 Console

Discussion in 'Console & PC Gaming' started by GTPNewsWire, Jun 11, 2020.

1. Corsa

Corsa Premium

There has to be (3) 120mm fans and a beast heatsink inside to keep that constantly running fast AMD from thermal throttling.

I’m curious what temperature to noise ratio the engineers settled on. I do not like seeing my PC get above 70c, we’ll see.

2. vrossi

vrossi

If u squint...u can see the evolution.
    [​IMG]

The Vanishing Boy and CTznOfTime like this.
  3. redhed17

redhed17

Mmm, buying a console not for the games it can run, not for how well it runs the games, not for the price, but for what the box looks like. :confused: It's your money, you buy what you like (the look of). ;) :lol:

4. MikeV27

MikeV27 Premium

Sony made events like E3 redundant with this reveal show. I liked it.

5. redhed17

redhed17

I wouldn't be too surprised if this design could end up having overheating problems. I like the look of it, but from what people have been saying about the potential heat generated by these new consoles, and how MS have changed the design so much from their previous console for mainly handling the heat, this design may not be up to it. I hope we get to more details soon, and a look at the innards. That was something MS did very well in their reveal. :)

I hope I'm wrong and this is as quiet as my PS4 or XBox 360. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2020
    Corsa likes this.
  6. Johnny Dean

Johnny Dean

Discless for me, for sure! I wonder how much cheaper it will be, but with GT7 seemingly incoming (lol) and TRIAL MOUNTAIN, this is a day 1 purchase.

7. Pedinhuh

Pedinhuh

Looks like a 2010's futuristic concept of a video game console...I think it looks like it's trying to hard.

But at least the specs don't disappoint, definitely than what PS4 was at launch.

Anything about its rumours backwards compatibility?

VXR likes this.
  8. CLowndes888

CLowndes888

The biggest issue with this console is how dirty it will get.

Apart from that, this design is somewhat refreshing for the PlayStation, a console which has never really been considered "attractive" in any form. They've traditionally been more utilitarian in their appearance, so the PS5 is a welcome change indeed. It has a more premium feel to it, and would look far better sitting in my living room compared to the PS4.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2020
  9. ROAD_DOGG33J

ROAD_DOGG33J Premium

They really botched the version with the drive. They should've created a fat version where the drive blends with the rest of the console. Instead it looks like the digital version with a drive tacked on the side in the spot where it seemed most convenient.

Digital version would have to be heavily discounted for me to consider it and I would need the drive for blu-ray movies anyway.

Robin likes this.
  10. Eunos_Cosmo

Eunos_Cosmo Premium

Looks quite...feminine. Very Zaha Hadid. Love it.

Care to comment @TB?

11. Aphelion

Aphelion

Honestly, I have found that when it comes to dust build-up, black plastic shows up waaaaayyy dirtier than white. My PS4 was cleaned a month ago, like full clean, and its currently 3 shades lighter than its supposed to be due to the dust layer.

Senna52 and JoshMead like this.
  12. redhed17

redhed17

I hope GT7 is day 1, :) but sadly I doubt it. :(

Johnny Dean likes this.
  13. chengman

chengman

Getting the diskless version depending on how much cheaper it is.

14. JoshMead

JoshMead

I like the design of the console (its the controllers that need to grow on me), but am concerned with how fragile it will be. I don't exactly live with the most careful family one can have.

Not set on a PS5 until I'm satisfied with its game library. But if I get one, the disk version is a must. Ever since getting emotionally gut punched over the server shutdown of an online digital exclusive, I've stuck with games I can keep indefinitely.

15. TheGeologist

TheGeologist

It just doesn't look like a PlayStation to me

VXR likes this.
  16. gtracedriver1

gtracedriver1

I really wanted it to look like the dev kit. Big V shaped console :( I knew it was going to have white due to the controller reveal and it won't be a plain rectangular box like the Xbox which IMHO is very ugly. It has this alien, futuristic look to it

17. CTznOfTime

CTznOfTime

IMHO, that is the best looking and cutest PlayStation of them all... is as small as the controller...!

I couldn't find the correct photo, but this is close enough...

[​IMG]

Nexus and V1LR-GUE10 like this.
  18. Volksauto

Volksauto

I only have two questions about the console.

1. How much will the disc/digital versions cost?

2. Will it be like the PS4 and sound like one of these:
    [​IMG]

sirjim73 and CTznOfTime like this.
  19. andrea

andrea

It looks like an airport.

It’s gonna sound like an airport too!

CTznOfTime and V1LR-GUE10 like this.
  20. AllMightyVTEC

AllMightyVTEC

I believe they designed it to specifically address that problem

21. V1LR-GUE10

V1LR-GUE10 Premium

I asked for a console not a skyscraper from Dubai. Hope the slim comes soon and looks better lol
    8F87595D-EEEE-463C-ACEE-A7D180394EB2.jpeg

Nexus, redhed17, klondike and 6 others like this.
  22. tunaphis

tunaphis

Sorta looks like a Corsair One but costs 1/7th,Games aren't a concern,The controller could be.

23. imported_rik19

imported_rik19

White? :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Please no.....

racingsnail likes this.
  24. unit-one

unit-one

I LOVE IT! 8D

CTznOfTime likes this.
  25. Ryanswannell

Ryanswannell

While I like the looks of the PS5, I cant help thinking it would look even better in Black.

racingsnail and Yellowbeard like this.
  26. Yellowbeard

Yellowbeard

I really hope they do a version in black, but there's always the option to wrap it, and knowing me the white would grow on me anyway.

redhed17 likes this.
  27. StefaBGD

StefaBGD

For my taste this is by far THE UGLIEST thing EVER!!! So many places where dust can build up... Why not go with something simply square and in black?!? Who gives a !@#$ how it looks it is important what is beneath the hood!
    At least I hope there is going to be black variant and that can be position horizontally!

klondike, dirtyduckuk76 and VXR like this.
  28. neema_t

neema_t Premium

This was my thinking, but in the end it'll probably come down to the price difference and the availability of any standalone 4K Blu Ray players for around that sort of price. I mean I'd prefer to not have the extra box, but if I have to have a PS5 out on display I'd like to have the less ugly of the two...

29. Mr Grumpy

Mr Grumpy

People have been trying to figure out size & by going off the disk drive & this thing is big
    Screenshot_20200612-103035_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20200612-103507_Gallery.jpg

Last edited: Jun 12, 2020
  30. Whitestar

Whitestar Premium

I think the mix of white, black and the blue LED lighting looks really good.
    Kind of futuristic.

CTznOfTime likes this.