Sony Reveals PlayStation 5 Console

For my taste this is by far THE UGLIEST thing EVER!!! So many places where dust can build up... Why not go with something simply square and in black?!? Who gives a !@#$ how it looks it is important what is beneath the hood!
At least I hope there is going to be black variant and that can be position horizontally!
I have the same thoughts. Impossible to properly clean, there so many spaces where the dust will stay forever when it forms up. Also these thin edges are just asking to be broken in case of an unfortunate event.

I hope they will get back to theirs senses for slim version.

I see they went for a 'popped collar' design...yeah...that's gonna date quickly...

screenshot-8683-png.929519

popped-collar.jpg

;)

This was my thinking, but in the end it'll probably come down to the price difference and the availability of any standalone 4K Blu Ray players for around that sort of price. I mean I'd prefer to not have the extra box, but if I have to have a PS5 out on display I'd like to have the less ugly of the two...
Oh yes, it will definitely come down to price difference for me as well.

I'm thinking something between €50 to €75 more for the version with the disk player. Anything more than that and I'll analyze other options.

I already know I will get the ugly version.
Mostly because most of the games I have are on discs for the PS4.
Unless they have an upscale version of the game for free.

Now just need price point so I can figure out how much to really save.
499? 599? Randomly 399?

Its not that I dont like the design. I dont care to much for the design. I prefer something that is functional and can be hided away.

Just would prefered it to be a normal box I could hide away in my existing multimedia rack.

Anyway, I am hugely in doubt if I will even get it on realease. Games catalogue did not impress me. So unless its because I can play existing PS4 games much better on the new system ill rather wait a few years until games catalogue catch up.

Also still a bit undesided wich Console ill buy first. Xbox or this one.

I like its looks and colour. Certainly more aesthetically pleasing than my black lump of rectangular plastic Pro.

The disk version laying horizontally would fit my requirements. Looks more appealing that way too.

People have been trying to figure out size & by going off the disk drive this thing is big
It's difficult to analyse side by side due to perspective differences. But using its own controller for reference it's height is about 3 and a half of them. So yes still tall (wide) but that's probably better for cooling.

Well I'll be going for the horizontal layout for my PS5 when it releases and am going to go for the disc version of the console.

I also like the fact it's white rather than black though it will mean I'll have to clean it more regularly since the dust will show but that's a good thing!

Some reassembly of my gaming den will be required since I still have my old PSOne, 2, 3 and I will be keeping the 4 alongside my Xbox One
over two tv's but I'll have that all in place before launch since awhile yet I suspect!

I like its looks and colour. Certainly more aesthetically pleasing than my black lump of rectangular plastic Pro.

The disk version laying horizontally would fit my requirements. Looks more appealing that way too.

It's difficult to analyse side by side due to perspective differences. But using its own controller for reference it's height is about 3 and a half of them. So yes still tall (wide) but that's probably better for cooling.
I think that's why people are using the disk drive to roughly measure up, as we can't determine how far forward/back the controllers are situated.

Off the top of my head, I'm going with roughly.....
Height = 400mm
Width = 100mm (at disk drive)
Depth = 300mm

Just a guess.

I don't really care for the way it looks all that much, other than I hope it's available in all black color. I care more about the games that are on it and I am very thrilled at some of the reveals yesterday.

...Personally, I think it's one hell of a looker. Not sure what the "texture" would be like up close, but the design alone has won me over. Some people say it looks like a wifi router, but I haven't seen one that sexy before so I respectfully disagree.

I wasn't convinced of Xbox Series X's form factor even tho' I liked the specs of the machine, so was 50-50 about buying it, but PS5? I'll buy it just for the looks alone.

People have been trying to figure out size & by going off the disk drive & this thing is big
View attachment 929661View attachment 929663
They're not to scale. It's not uncommon for disk insertion slots to be wider than the disks by varying margins to allow the disk to be easilly inserted and then narrow as the disk goes in to feed it into the correct position.

The X-Box One Controller is slightly bigger than the PS4 controller, I doubt the controller proportions are changing as dramitally as they appear to change in this comparison. A PS5 controller that big wouldn't suit people who don't have big hands, so until the dimensions are provided this comparison isn't that helpful.

It does look like it will be big, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's nowhere near as big as this comparison makes it out to be.

They're not to scale. It's not uncommon for disk insertion slots to be wider than the disks by varying margins to allow the disk to be easilly inserted and then narrow as the disk goes in to feed it into the correct position.

The X-Box One Controller is slightly bigger than the PS4 controller, I doubt the controller proportions are changing as dramitally as they appear to change in this comparison. A PS5 controller that big wouldn't suit people who don't have big hands, so until the dimensions are provided this comparison isn't that helpful.

It does look like it will be big, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's nowhere near as big as this comparison makes it out to be.
Oh yeh I agree, like I said people are guessing (these aren't my comparisons)

There's more images popping up against other PS consoles as well, just to take the Xbox out of the equation.

But it's still big.

I know that blue lighting on tech is the go to colour, but are they missing a trick not jumping on the RGB train. ;) :lol:

Seriously though, I hope they have the option to turn the lighting off, same with the new XBox. I just want the box to sit next to the TV, with just a little LED to tell whether it's on or off with minimal distraction.

I think it looks fantastic. Unlike one of its predecessors, the original PlayStation 3, that was not attractive at all! Mind you it didn’t stop me buying it though.

The most interesting aspects are it’s internals though, notably its superfast SSD. Plus the significant difference in processing configuration of PS5 v Xbox One; different number of GPU compute units and clock speeds taken by each. Less compute units but higher frequency on PS5 compared to Xbox One.

Personally i think it looks great, slick, futuristic and smooth. It would look better in black yes and i will definitely go for the disk version, as i have PS4 discs and blue-rays and will not be selling them anytime soon.

what i am worried about is 2 things the price and the supply!!!.

I already know I will get the ugly version.
Mostly because most of the games I have are on discs for the PS4.
Unless they have an upscale version of the game for free.

Now just need price point so I can figure out how much to really save.
499? 599? Randomly 399?

Plan for $599+60 (GT7)+ tax=
$720 depending on your tax rate.
When it releases at $499 you’ll be happy so there’s no disappointment.

Hey, we’re getting into entry level PC money here.

I like discs - I don't like buying licences that the other side of the contract can terminate when the time suits...

... but bend me the Digital Edition is pretty.

Hopefully Sony gives some assurance that during the life cycle of this machine we will have full access to all games purchased digitally. Can you imagine if for example some major corporation (Disney) buys another (Marvel) that was producing a game and they then say we choose not to support this intellectual property that was created before we acquired the company.

That being said, I'm still buying the digital version. I haven't purchased a physical PS4 game since COD WWII, (late 2017)

Some people say it looks like a wifi router, but I haven't seen one that sexy before so I respectfully disagree.

It does look a lot like this one though :lol:

ps.jpg

I think it looks fantastic. Unlike one of its predecessors, the original PlayStation 3, that was not attractive at all! Mind you it didn’t stop me buying it though.

I felt the opposite because to me it had styling that looked like some high end AV receiver. Goes to show how subjective these things are, the PS5 has a really polarising design that's for sure.

Last edited:
I wonder if those vents at the top of the console are exhausts rather than intakes, and if that would be why they chose to design/present it with vertical placement in mind.

I like it, however if the size comparisons going around are accurate then I'm not a fan of the size. That said I would be getting the version with the optical drive and hopefully it can be placed horizontally. I've not felt this excited for a console in a long time. Actually I'm most excited for PSVR2 made possible of course by the ps5.

Eks
I wonder if those vents at the top of the console are exhausts rather than intakes, and if that would be why they chose to design/present it with vertical placement in mind.
If they are both exhausts, one has to think where the air would get in. :confused: Most of the bottom seems to be covered by the black base, which wouldn't leave much space for air to get in. Time will tell though. :)

Personally I dislike the design, I'd prefer a more subtle & understated look.

Even though not for me I think they have been clever with the discless version available at launch as it will give them some crucial price leverage against the Series X which will be very important, assuming that is that MS don't have an undisclosed discless version of the SX waiting in the wings too. I'm sure both consoles with a disc will be the same price, MS will make sure of it this time.

Back