Sony Reveals PlayStation 5 Console

I'm thinking £499 for the Digital version of the PS5, just staying under the psychological £500 limit, and +£100-£150 for the Disc version. I think they will want to push people towards digital downloads more quickly, and the disc version being seen as not a good deal will help with that.

I hope that £500 is price they try to stay on the lower side of anyway. ;) An initial higher price may not hurt sales too much though, considering there were 2m+ :eek: watching the reveal there may be quite a few of those willing to pay higher prices. :rolleyes:

A new console around £500 is something I couldn't afford atm, and maybe for quite awhile, as I think the virus is probably going to affect my work for years to come. :( I waited for GTSport to get a PS4, so I know I will be able to resist the lure of the PS5. ;) At least until GT7 comes out at least. :lol:

My only concern is that it be reliable and hopefully last up to 10years of regular use. Same for the controller.
The battery in it, that i doubt, will see.

My ps4 and ds4 are good as new still, touch wood..
Edit: well also hope you can play while charging like on ps4. The charging gets slow after a few years.
And enough connections in front for wheel, charger.. And that my g29 be compatible, even though I'd like to upgrade in a few years.

Last edited:
Even though not for me I think they have been clever with the discless version available at launch as it will give them some crucial price leverage against the Series X which will be very important, assuming that is that MS don't have an undisclosed discless version of the SX waiting in the wings too. I'm sure both consoles with a disc will be the same price, MS will make sure of it this time.

There has been rumours swirling around for months about a 'Series S' which would presumably be their disk-less competitor. I'm sure they have something ready to go that we don't know about yet.

I'm thinking £499 for the Digital version of the PS5, just staying under the psychological £500 limit, and +£100-£150 for the Disc version. I think they will want to push people towards digital downloads more quickly, and the disc version being seen as not a good deal will help with that.

I hope that £500 is price they try to stay on the lower side of anyway. ;) An initial higher price may not hurt sales too much though, considering there were 2m+ :eek: watching the reveal there may be quite a few of those willing to pay higher prices. :rolleyes:

A new console around £500 is something I couldn't afford atm, and maybe for quite awhile, as I think the virus is probably going to affect my work for years to come. :( I waited for GTSport to get a PS4, so I know I will be able to resist the lure of the PS5. ;) At least until GT7 comes out at least. :lol:

Thay`s pretty cheap in todays money, was talking about this today at work with a lad who is only 21 and he wasn't around when the orginal playstation came out, i was telling him how it cost me around £400 for a sega saturn back in 95ish, when i was only earning £300 a month....

Also that ps5 design looks like a proper dust trap, also it aint going to fit in anywhere with my black tv, black blu ray player, black satellite reciver, black tv unit......and how grubby will a white game pad get...terrible...

I've just tried to work out the size of the PS5 using Photoshop, (a lot harder with this CC version than when I have tried something similar in the past :banghead:) and I think it works out at about 354mm. Though I have seen 350mm - 360mm on some sites. :confused:

For comparison the
PS4 was 288mm
PS4 Pro was 327mm
XBox One was 295mm
XBox One X was 300mm
And for the XBox Series X I have seen a size of 312mm.

Last edited:
If the disc version is sub £500 it's a no-brainer for me. If it's more than that, then for the few games I actually play, I might end up leaving it for a while.

Consoles these days are ridiculously good value for money, IMHO. Accounting for inflation, most Playstations have cost me somewhere between about £450 and £650, but they've become a lot more than just a games console.

Since the R* announcement, I'm really just buying it for GT7, so the decision on when I do it depends on PD.

IGN
PS5: Sony Boss Explains the Console's Design

Playstation 5's unconventional design was created to look good as part of a living area in a home, says Sony Interactive Entertainment president, Jim Ryan.

The curved, two-tone look of the console has become a point of debate since the PS5 design reveal yesterday. Speaking to the BBC, Ryan said: "The PlayStation sits in the living area of most homes, and we kind of felt it would be nice to provide a design that would really grace most living areas. That's what we've tried to do. And, you know, we think we've been successful in that."

The idea, seemingly, is to create a console that looks as much like furniture, or an ornament as it does a piece of standard consumer electronics. Speaking separately to CNET, Ryan said that the design was purposely "bold and daring", and that the company wanted something forward facing and future facing, something for the 2020s." He also made clear that the white-and-black console is its launch design, seemingly ruling out other colour choices.

Ryan reconfirmed to the BBC that the only physical difference between the 'regular' PS5 and the new Digital Edition is the lack of a disc drive, and reiterated that there would be no news on a price for the console (or if there would be a difference in price between the two models).

He did, however, make clear that the two different models were designed as a way to offer better choice for buyers: "Many of our consumers are purchasing solely digitally these days. We thought that we would do what we typically try and do, and just offer choice."

LOL, clearly Sony was completely intent on ripping off the fugly BMW I3 design, the proof is in the pudding.

71RJhz0+kYL.jpg

PlayStation-5-Event-Highlights-Gamers-Heroes.jpg

USB is a standardized port that is a standardized size. Only use that if you want to try to estimate sizes.

Slot loading disc drives are not (the launch PS3 drive slot is 2cm longer than the Xbone X, just from stuff I have in my room); nevermind comparing it to tray loading ones.

The two SKUs at launch is a clever tactic by Sony. It will allow them to go absolutely as low as possible with PS5 launch price whilst at the same time relatively overcharging for the disc version.

It's the Apple model. Sell a 32GB phone for $500 and then offer a 64GB version for $600 even though it only cost an extra $5 to make.

I also hope it will be easy and not too expensive to add reliable storage. 4tb and more. With not much bother and no loss of performance.
You will be able to add cheap storage but only for storing downloads, media and PS4 games. PS5 games have to run from the new SSD storage.

Expansions for the SSD storage will be available in future as soon as they are available in the general market. It won't be cheap though. It will take some time before this bleeding edge SSD tech will be regarded as "affordable".

Last edited by a moderator:
People just love to rat on anything new these days. IMO it's not the best design ever, but at least Sony tried something instead of just putting it in a PC tower and calling it a day. Meanwhile, I'm laughing at all the memes :lol:

The only problem I can see is cleaning those vents are going to be a pain because of the way they're recessed. Also if you travel a lot I can see the size and shape being unwieldy to pack in a suitcase. I wonder how much smaller is the slim version (if planned). Definitely getting the disc drive version though because GT7 is going to have a Collector Ed and that will defo come on a disc :D

Last edited:
I’ll buy the disk version. As I hope it allows for Ultra HD 4k blu ray compatability.

Will probably put it somewhere out of sight though.

I love the design. One of the most creative cases I've seen.

The size does not surprise me. Digital Foundry said Sony were going to ensure the console had enough cooling to keep its boost clocks going at all times. I wonder how noisy it is at full tilt on a warm day?

Edit; it's an i8 i guess?
Yep, BMW i8. I think it is a bit more attractive than the i3. ;) I saw one close up a few months ago and it is a striking car.
USB is a standardized port that is a standardized size. Only use that if you want to try to estimate sizes.

Slot loading disc drives are not (the launch PS3 drive slot is 2cm longer than the Xbone X, just from stuff I have in my room); nevermind comparing it to tray loading ones.
When trying to work out the size I used the USB socket as the reference. :) It was such a low resolution image though that there will be a margin for error.

I’ll buy the disk version. As I hope it allows for Ultra HD 4k blu ray compatability.

Will probably put it somewhere out of sight though.
There was a very small splash screen during the live streamed event that said that it will play 4k blue rays ;)

Can't help feeling it is worth holding out a little longer for an all-black edition, this render looks amazing:

Plus someone did a mockup of a PS2 25th Anniversary Edition (Which would mean a 2025 launch... but I doubt I will wait THAT long)

But then again, dbrand is providing PS5 skins if that is more your thing

Back