Spyro Reignited Trilogy Discussion

• Thread starter GTvsForza
  • 147 comments
First hint of the remastered soundtrack from the PS4 theme of Dark Hollow. If they're going to slip up anywhere, it would be butchering the classic Copeland soundtrack. Could do with more bass like in the original but it still fits in with the level really well in my opinion.

A screenshot of Peace Keepers! Spyro's model looks good from this shot.
30656467_1659622714086828_1803118896989777606_n.jpg

While I am not surprised this is happening, I have to say I am quite happy they are remastering this series! Spyro is a part of my childhood I simply cannot ignore.

Looks very impressive, however I kind of wish I hadn't watched the trailer until after I played through the games. :indiff:

Screens and trailers have all been from the first game, it seems. Looking forward to seeing some of Ripto's Rage and Year of the Dragon.

It's been a while since I've played Year of the Dragon, though I have them all on PS3 (PS classics). I think I can wait til September to replay it.

Haha I remember the original levels looking bad, but not that bad. :lol:

I hope the charm of the original games aren't lost in the updated graphics.

I wonder if the Tree Tops level will be as difficult as it was in the original. :nervous:
Haha I remember the original levels looking bad, but not that bad. :lol:
I'm playing the original on PC right now and it still looks rather nice. The artstyle made the graphics age surprisingly well.

I wonder if the Tree Tops level will be as difficult as it was in the original. :nervous:
I have a feeling the remake will be easier simply because things will be easier to see. A big challenge (if I remember correctly) with Tree Tops was finding the proper ramps. With the original graphics, ramps blended in and were hard to spot at a distance. I imagine better visuals will help things. :D

Speaking of difficulty, I am having flashbacks to the ice hockey minigames with the yetis which I remember being frustratingly difficult as a kid. Wonder if I will be better at that today. :lol:

Here's something interesting:

In Activisions latest Conference Call, they acknowledged that the Reignited Trilogy has.. exceeded every single expectation.

Now, bear with me for a moment, I shall bring up some numbers, because I'm sad and lonely like that!

The most recent teaser has, as of the time of writing, amassed a grand total of 158 (edit: it's jumped up to near-enough 160 since then - and it's only been a few minutes!) thousand likes. That in itself is quite the number, right? Well, as far back as the official Crash Twitter lets me go, the most likes I found was 11 thousand - both on the two posts related to the return of Spyro, though, in fairness, I couldn't find a reveal or teaser tweet.

But I went deeper in my quest to find a truly brilliant comparison - the official Call of Duty Twitter - more specifically the very tweet where they first mention WWII being a thing. That ranks in at.. 63 thousand likes. Even the tweet first revealing Black Ops 4 as a thing sits at a comparatively low 129 thousand!

So Spyro's very much living up to his reputation of taking on things that are many times bigger than him and coming out victorious on the Twitter side of things. As far as I can make out, that's not quite the case on YouTube, where the combined total number of views for the many different versions of the trailer reaches about 4 million , compared to Black Ops 4 reaching 7 and WWII reveal at 22. Then again, that *is* YouTube and Call of Duty, so I'm neither quite sure what to make of that, nor do I quite see where the trailer has had "tens of millions of views".

Also let's have an interesting and engaging discussion on being-completely-faithful-to-source-material vs. current-day-creative-interpretation of a 20 years old game running on a 20 years old engine.

Last edited:
Also let's have an interesting and engaging discussion on being-completely-faithful-to-source-material vs. current-day-creative-interpretation of a 20 years old game running on a 20 years old engine.

With 20 years old controls. :lol:

Eh, I'm okay with some updates to the controls/ engine of the games. The Crash remakes used the same controls of Crash 3 Warped across all the games and it seemed to work out fine, despite it making certain levels in the first Crash much more difficult. It didn't take much from the feel of the games and they felt faithful to the originals.

I don't think they can change the controls all that much in Spryo except to maybe make them more fluid and responsive. Start messing with the controls too much and they risk making gliding more of a challenge. I remember some areas being very difficult to reach as is when gliding. :lol:

I'm a little more worried about the visual changes. The original games were very basic looking games visually, which worked very well in the game. Judging by early screen comparisons it's a drastic update to the graphics, hopefully that doesn't take away from the charm of the originals.

Because nobody else has picked up on this, there be a short gameplay clip:

One could be very nitpicky about what little UI Spyro games have always had, but this is either a placeholder or you'll get used to it. Not like it matters too much in the grand scheme anyway.

I saw that clip on youtube 2 days ago, I just forgot about this thread. hehe :P

Anyway, I honestly don't see anything wrong in game gameplay. I don't think it's a bad font choice for the gem counter. The sounds are okay by my standards (I even hear the classic dragon crystal sound). It's actually looking pretty close to how I imagined a Spyro the Dragon remake to look like.

I will say that, even if we can't hear the dialogue, that elder dragon reminds me quite a bit of A Hero's Tail. Which I'm mostly fine with, as I consider it - despite its flaws; never ever do a Spyro turret section again - somewhat underrated, though I can see why "hardcore fans" may have a problem with it.

GameStop app now shows a countdown instead of just the release date! T-minus 95 days!
IMG_2633.PNG

The only Spyro games I've played were Season of Ice and Season of Fire on my old GBA. But, I might pick this up (once I complete Crash).

Two things:

1: Just in case you thought TfB got Kenny to reprise his role as Spyro/Professor/Sgt. Byrd, Berger to reprise his role as Hunter/Ripto and Tatum to reprise his role as Agent 9/Bartholomew, turns out they've also got Copeland back on the music team:

2: Also, while I can't fancy-post-it-up, Colossus gameplay. I think they've heard what people said about certain instruments not being noticable enough, which is a good thing. Also Sparx in proper Offensive Blue is an interesting sight :lol:

Here's something fun for everybody to play around with. Especially the bit where you select which platform you want your game on. And especially if you're either in the PC Master Race or have a Switch Superiority Complex.

It doesn't prove anything just yet, but.. writings on walls and so forth.

Edit: It has now been taken down, but.. I think you can guess what it was based on my most accurate description above.

Edit again: Here's some more fun for you, straight from the music department. Not only can you switch between the reimagined soundtrack and the original (pretty hype), but mr. Copeland has also composed a brand new theme for the trilogy in its entirety, probably for the game select screen.

Seriously though, "doing it right" doesn't even begin to cover the lengths TfB are going to with this one.

Last edited:
Glad to hear that the original music will be in the game along with a remastered soundtrack. Wouldn't be a stretch for me to say the music in the original Spyro games is some of my favorite in any game. The songs perfectly suit the atmosphere and the levels.

It be a given that Activision will have more physical copies of Spyro on launch day.

But I won't be surprised to see tweets and posts of Spyro being sold out in stores just like Crash was a year ago.

Honestly Copeland's return is as big of a deal as the trilogy's first announcement.

Not a bad redesign, though the head looks very different. They definitely made him look more large and more like a selfish jerk. :lol:

Well, at least we get to headbutt gems out of him in Year of the Dragon.

Inb4 the inevitable triggering of extreme purists because he "doesn't have green eyes" or something equally irrelevant. Seriously though, if people can get triggered over the chanting in Colossus, they can get triggered over Moneybags' eyes. You watch.

I quite like it, though. True to the original style and yet with that distinctly Reignited twist. TfB is doing a cracking job with this whole thing.

Back