The 2017 F1 driver transfer discussion/speculation threadFormula 1 

• Thread starter mister dog
  • 1,180 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
I doubt it. He's probably an insurance plan in case of another jumping of ship (Hamilton leaving) or Bottas not being as good as they need.
Well the insurance policy of Hamilton leaving is sort of what I meant, being as Wehrlein isn't entirely great and Hamilton is still young-ish. Would be interesting if Bottas ended up under performing and seeing what Mercedes would do.

Well the insurance policy of Hamilton leaving is sort of what I meant, being as Wehrlein isn't entirely great and Hamilton is still young-ish. Would be interesting if Bottas ended up under performing and seeing what Mercedes would do.

Hamilton has already put an expiration date on his tenure in F1 though, and the way it read was that Hamilton would be forced out which is why I said what I did. I feel it's the same regard as Button, when ever Hamilton is ready to go that's his choice.

Bottas is only on a one-year contract anyway, Wehrlein at Sauber is a temporary thing while Merc want him to get more experienced before promotion. Expect Wehrlein in a Mercedes in 2018

Bottas is only on a one-year contract anyway, Wehrlein at Sauber is a temporary thing while Merc want him to get more experienced before promotion. Expect Wehrlein in a Mercedes in 2018

Quite possibly. For now it seems there are some "personality issues" that may need ironing out by Aunty Monika.

I don't. I expect a deep analysis over the winter later this year on if Pascal did better or Esteban in the FI. Like @TenEightyOne said, clearly the clash and diva mentality a young and not even established driver in F1 doesn't sit well with Merc. If it had they'd of promoted him rather than went outside their own driver program and obtained Bottas, spending even more money, and on top of that doing so for the price of a single season.

Esteban in the FI.
Forgot for a second Ocon's name is Esteban. Hearing the name Esteban be mentioned re. 2017 sent chills.

Agreed, though. I don't think Bottas will only be there for a year, as I don't expect him to be bad enough to be dropped. At this rate Ocon and Wehrlein would probably be better off finding careers elsewhere.

I just read that McLaren have signed Lando Norris - great decision - but have also kept on Nyck de Vries, why would they continue to bother with him, he is a good driver but nothing special, I can't see him ever being strong enough to make F1 and he is not involved in the McLaren GT program.

I just read that McLaren have signed Lando Norris - great decision - but have also kept on Nyck de Vries, why would they continue to bother with him, he is a good driver but nothing special, I can't see him ever being strong enough to make F1 and he is not involved in the McLaren GT program.
Not surprising. From what I gather, Lando has been under McLaren's wing for a while now...this just makes it official.

I see Hamilton has picked the winning fan design for his helmet.

I wonder if anyone submitted Rosberg's design to him for the competition ...

Guess that would have meant Hamilton/Alonso in the Mercedes, Bottas/Stroll in the Williams, Button/Vandoorne in the McLaren and Massa out?

Possibly, but as pointed out Mercedes spoke to several drivers to see what their position was for 2017 in light of Roberg''s sudden departure. Alonso said that he was happy where he was for 2017 (go figure, although time will tell), any kind of possibilities could have been opened by the Mercedes call-round.

Sauber would be the last team to play three drivers against two seats, I'm sure

Ssssst.

He's already preparing to jump in!

images_Formule1_Giedo_van_der_Garde-Sauber-F1_2014-696x464.jpg

This will be the third season in a row that Alonso will miss a race, although thankfully this time it's not for injury.

Also, can USians tell us whether Honda's IndyCar programme is any good?

Honda was the package to have on superspeedways last year, Alex Rossi taking a rookie Indy 500 win and Honda's only other win of 2016 coming at Texas, but they were rubbish everywhere else. In Indycar currently the engine manufacturers are also responsible for the aerodynamics and bodywork attached to the spec Dallara tub. They've upped their game this year on road courses, winning the first round (I've not seen the second round, last weekend's race at Long Beach, yet so can't comment there). If they can get a decent crew together it's likely he's got a chance of a reasonable result.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back