The 2017 F1 driver transfer discussion/speculation threadFormula 1 

• Thread starter mister dog
  • 1,180 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Roo
Honda was the package to have on superspeedways last year, Alex Rossi taking a rookie Indy 500 win and Honda's only other win of 2016 coming at Texas, but they were rubbish everywhere else. In Indycar currently the engine manufacturers are also responsible for the aerodynamics and bodywork attached to the spec Dallara tub. They've upped their game this year on road courses, winning the first round (I've not seen the second round, last weekend's race at Long Beach, yet so can't comment there). If they can get a decent crew together it's likely he's got a chance of a reasonable result.

James Hinchliffe won at Long Beach. Honda powered team.

Notice how they kept this announcement well away from April 1st. :lol:

I had to read it in 3 places and find stuff on the McLaren Twitter feed before I believed it.

He competed in and was DQ'd for speeding in a Ironman triathalon in California last week. He finished 3rd in his age group.
How do you get dq'd for speeding in an ironman race?????

Edit: unless DQ'd means Dairy Queen'd, as in he got ice cream at the finish...

How do you get dq'd for speeding in an ironman race?????

Edit: unless DQ'd means Dairy Queen'd, as in he got ice cream at the finish...

The equivalent of ignoring a slow zone in cycling terms, I believe.

Maybe this was a long con and they had planned this little weekend well in advance.
Not according to what Zak and 'Nando are saying, unless they're lying for the sake of it. It started out in pre season partly as a joke, partly Zak testing the waters to see if Alonso was interested. It stopped being a joke in Australia when Zak, Fernando and Eric Boullier discussed the idea, and then Fernando made up his mind Friday night of the Chinese GP. Zak then got on the horn to make it happen.

What could possibly go wrong (?)

What is this, the 1950s? I hope Alonso knows that the Indy 500 no longer contributes towards the World Championship For Drivers.

Also, can USians tell us whether Honda's IndyCar programme is any good?

Honda is currently the stronger package, the only thing Honda that is strong right now, which is all the more ironic why he's going. It's cool he'll get a better car to drive, wish him the best and will be hoping to see him win it.

Honda is currently the stronger package, the only thing Honda that is strong right now, which is all the more ironic why he's going. It's cool he'll get a better car to drive, wish him the best and will be hoping to see him win it.
Honda did pretty decent in WTCC from Morocco this past weekend. They took a 1-2 finish in the main race (not that their strongest competition quitting the series has anything to do with it...)

Honda did pretty decent in WTCC from Morocco this past weekend. They took a 1-2 finish in the main race (not that their strongest competition quitting the series has anything to do with it...)

Yeah if it was against Citroen then I'd actually be amazed, they're just getting back to where they were before Citroen. I think Indy is a better measure of strength. I see your point that Honda is strong in another series, but it's sad when said series is WTCC.

Not according to what Zak and 'Nando are saying, unless they're lying for the sake of it. It started out in pre season partly as a joke, partly Zak testing the waters to see if Alonso was interested. It stopped being a joke in Australia when Zak, Fernando and Eric Boullier discussed the idea, and then Fernando made up his mind Friday night of the Chinese GP. Zak then got on the horn to make it happen.
I wouldn't be surprised if Alonso has been toying with the idea for a while now. According to Autosport, he wants to do the Triple Crown winning the Monaco Grand Prix, Le Mans and the Indianapolis 500.

It's no secret he wants to do Le Mans. Looking at the interviews, he was expecting to get a deal done for Indy 2018, but didn't realise how efficient Zak Brown is and managed to get it done for this year.

Did I hear Stoffel correctly in the press conference...he's skipping the Hungarian GP to race in the Spa 24hr?

Did I hear Stoffel correctly in the press conference...he's skipping the Hungarian GP to race in the Spa 24hr?
He was joking with the media since the Spa24H is in his home country.

Latest gossip from German Bild Zeitung: Renault started to speak with Alonso for a possible return for the 2018 season.

Guess making it to Q3 wasn't enough for Palmer...

That and the other 20+ races he had a chance to excite Renault. And yes I say Palmer is most likely out if a new driver comes into Renault because Hulkenberg is on a multi year contract and is actually performing.

Guess making it to Q3 wasn't enough for Palmer...
He wasn't going to suddenly redeem himself with one outstanding performance. Least of all when Hülkenberg is still out-performing him.

That and the other 20+ races he had a chance to excite Renault. And yes I say Palmer is most likely out if a new driver comes into Renault because Hulkenberg is on a multi year contract and is actually performing.
When the team first took him, it was pretty obvious that they had no intention of keeping him. They only really took him because Renault dithered over buying Lotus and the team needed money. And they only kept him because three or four other drivers - Bottas, Sainz, Ocon and co. - weren't intetested in joining and they couldn't convince Magnussen to stay.

He wasn't going to suddenly redeem himself with one outstanding performance. Least of all when Hülkenberg is still out-performing him.

It was a joke. And as I said last time I rather not get into your, "I hate Palmer, counting down his removal from F1"

I think this year Renault have good cars with good qualifications from Niko
But Palmer needs to improve skills

I think this year Renault have good cars with good qualifications from Niko
But Palmer needs to improve skills

The car is good for one lap, Nico said he can squeeze out that little bit to get in front of the other midfield teams in the Qualifying, but it is impossible to maintain that pace with tire management over the race distance and that's where they have to improve. However, they claimed it's still a learning year for Renault and with early focus on 2018, it would be a dream to see them fight for podiums again with Alo and Hulk. They have enough resources, they need to use them efficient.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back