The 2017 F1 driver transfer discussion/speculation threadFormula 1 

• Thread starter mister dog
  • 1,180 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've always liked Kubica's spirit...even if he crashed a lot (even in rally). I hope he's not simply a charity case because of his maimed hand, etc. I'd like to see him be competitive in that part of the field.

Maybe not - it's widely expected that once Honda get their act together, McLaren will rocket up the order.
True. But, it was interesting he remarked about his career post F1 and mentioning the number of races (maybe his sportscar/Indycar days are near?). Who knows though, weirder stuff has happened. Honda could very well indeed improve, but it's hard not to be skeptical after 3 years of development and not a whole lot of progress from Honda. Feel bad in a way for Alonso. He's an amazing driver but been stuck with a horrible team since 2015.

Alonso has done the opposite of Lewis Hamilton...always skipping over to a team during its worst years. The guy is uncanny. Hamilton has been fortunate enough to end up at the right teams, at the right times.

Hamilton has been fortunate enough to end up at the right teams, at the right times.

That's not just fortune, that's part of how World Champions are made. There can be few multiple champions whose politicking and nous wasn't part of their success. Alonso has learnt to manage his emotions far too late in his career, imo... and that's a real shame for the sport and the fans.

Alonso has done the opposite of Lewis Hamilton...always skipping over to a team during its worst years. The guy is uncanny. Hamilton has been fortunate enough to end up at the right teams, at the right times.
Hamilton has only moved once though, and Alonso's move from Renault to Mclaren was pretty genius on hindsight.

So who will replace him? Jenson doesn't seem to keen on it, but he has a contract for '18. And all along many of us thought that the person to replace Alonso simply due to contract alone was always going to be Jenson, because Alonso wasn't going to get the performance he was promised by Ron, and couldn't be secured any better by Brown.

Massa? Raikkonen? Sainz? Magnussen? Norris :P?

Raikkonen is probably staying at Ferrari, despite the earlier talk after round 3 and him being on the chopping block, there are a few reason why he wont be gone. One because Vettel likes him, and similar to Alonso keeping Massa's paycheck alive at Ferrari, I see the same happening here. Two he's picking up the pace, and we're heading toward tracks he's always performed well at. And finally he still has a couple years in him.

Massa maybe...but he's got a secure role I feel at Williams. Williams weren't really pushing him out of a seat from what I could tell and honestly they're going to have to wait until next season (I think) to see if Stroll will bring any return on their investment. So until that time I could see Massa still on board for 2018, he hasn't indicated he wants to really leave F1 in the first place. Magnussen back at the team that let him go maybe since it's Brown in charge now. Lando Norris....that's a good one, as in hahaha, grade A joke.

Raikkonen is probably staying at Ferrari, despite the earlier talk after round 3 and him being on the chopping block, there are a few reason why he wont be gone. One because Vettel likes him, and similar to Alonso keeping Massa's paycheck alive at Ferrari, I see the same happening here. Two he's picking up the pace, and we're heading toward tracks he's always performed well at. And finally he still has a couple years in him.

Massa maybe...but he's got a secure role I feel at Williams. Williams weren't really pushing him out of a seat from what I could tell and honestly they're going to have to wait until next season (I think) to see if Stroll will bring any return on their investment. So until that time I could see Massa still on board for 2018, he hasn't indicated he wants to really leave F1 in the first place. Magnussen back at the team that let him go maybe since it's Brown in charge now. Lando Norris....that's a good one, as in hahaha, grade A joke.
Why would it be a joke that Norris be at Mclaren next year?

It's probably unlikely but I don't see many drivers lining up to join them especially if they still have Honda engines.

I would rate him higher then anyone in GP2 atm.

Why would it be a joke that Norris be at Mclaren next year?

It's probably unlikely but I don't see many drivers lining up to join them especially if they still have Honda engines.

I would rate him higher then anyone in GP2 atm.

Simple, let's have a look at the last couple of GP3 drivers given a chance by McLaren. Two he's part of their young driver program, he's automatically placed in the queue, but I'm sure many drivers in the lower series would take the seat.

Simple, let's have a look at the last couple of GP3 drivers given a chance by McLaren. Two he's part of their young driver program, he's automatically placed in the queue, but I'm sure many drivers in the lower series would take the seat.
He is in F3 not GP3

While watching practice earlier I started wondering - what does Williams do next year? Stroll has been absolute garbage (and not even in a "new guy getting to grips with the car" kind of garbage). Is his dad rich enough to keep him in the seat? Will Massa actually stay on to do more F1, and if so, why? I could see a clean sweep at Williams next year - which then begs the question: who?

I think Williams might have to suck it up with a pay driver untill the concorde agreement runs out and liberty can adjust all the payments so it's more fair.

Pay Drivers really kill the joy of seeing young drivers join the series, as many won't make it as these deep pocket drivers take their chance and do nothing with it.

big whoop, sorry I forgot that the series is no longer named that? Are you going to debate real things or just a memory lapse?
F3 and GP3 are different series completely, I'm not trying to make you butthurt just correcting you.

Reactions: Eva
F3 and GP3 are different series completely, I'm not trying to make you butthurt just correcting you.

Not butthurt just seems like a correction to stand on rather than the conversation. Point is F3 precedes F2, just like GP3 did to GP2. So I don't think Norris has the experience needed to cut it in F1 especially in the wake of Alonso. Now if you give him a season to run F2, give Jenson his contract for 2018 so long as he is willing (which is probably why it was made like that to begin with), then I'll probably think differently for 2019's season.

Not butthurt just seems like a correction to stand on rather than the conversation. Point is F3 precedes F2, just like GP3 did to GP2. So I don't think Norris has the experience needed to cut it in F1 especially in the wake of Alonso. Now if you give him a season to run F2, give Jenson his contract for 2018 so long as he is willing (which is probably why it was made like that to begin with), then I'll probably think differently for 2019's season.
I don't agree with the experience part, at the end of this season he will have done 4 full seasons of racing in cars post karting, which isn't at all on the low end of experience for rookies to start at F1, and he has already won more then 4 championships(which is how many Hamilton won before he started F1), which will be 5 if he wins Euro F3 this year.

Sure I could pull the Verstappen card and say well he only did 1 season of cars before F1 and did very well, but he is an exceptional talent, but nothing to me has suggested Norris isn't considering he has been consistently brilliant every season, in what ever series he has been put in.

He won 3 championships in 1 season last year and would be leading F3 by a comfortable margin right now if his engine didn't fail in the last race at Pau, this isn't a Regular Driver we are talking about here.

I don't agree with the experience part, at the end of this season he will have done 4 full seasons of racing in cars post karting, which isn't at all on the low end of experience for rookies to start at F1, and he has already won more then 4 championships(which is how many Hamilton won before he started F1), which will be 5 if he wins Euro F3 this year.

You're saying the 2.0 which is lumped is two you two separate season...? Also he won F4, what is the third one? I'm only counting 4 if he wins this year. Hamilton started F1 around the time I'm saying Norris should, so while they may have the same amount that doesn't mean F2 wont be a good experience. You seem to be looking at it from a pure on paper aspect.

Sure I could pull the Verstappen card and say well he only did 1 season of cars before F1 and did very well, but he is an exceptional talent, but nothing to me has suggested Norris isn't considering he has been consistently brilliant every season, in what ever series he has been put in.

No you can't, cause for every time someone pulls a Verstappen, I could list ten drivers of promising pedigree after leaving F3/GP3 as becoming nothing or just a journeyman driver at best. Verstappen is an outlier on the bell curve, and anyone using it to make the standard argument is kidding themselves.

He won 3 championships in 1 season last year and would be leading F3 by a comfortable margin right now if his engine didn't fail in the last race at Pau, this isn't a Regular Driver we are talking about here.

Championships that are typically lumped together as far as I recall...

Neither was Lewis and McLaren and himself deemed that he should stay for GP2. Stoffel was the same idea, give him more time as well. While Norris may be great, it doesn't mean it will rightly translate. I'd rather see a young upcoming driver have time to mature then be put in F1 where they thrive for years.

You're saying the 2.0 which is lumped is two you two separate season...? Also he won F4, what is the third one? I'm only counting 4 if he wins this year. Hamilton started F1 around the time I'm saying Norris should, so while they may have the same amount that doesn't mean F2 wont be a good experience. You seem to be looking at it from a pure on paper aspect.

No you can't, cause for every time someone pulls a Verstappen, I could list ten drivers of promising pedigree after leaving F3/GP3 as becoming nothing or just a journeyman driver at best. Verstappen is an outlier on the bell curve, and anyone using it to make the standard argument is kidding themselves.

Championships that are typically lumped together as far as I recall...

Neither was Lewis and McLaren and himself deemed that he should stay for GP2. Stoffel was the same idea, give him more time as well. While Norris may be great, it doesn't mean it will rightly translate. I'd rather see a young upcoming driver have time to mature then be put in F1 where they thrive for years.
The Formula 2.0 isn't lumped together they are 3 seperate championships in different parts of Europe and mostly with different drivers.

Either way you find me a young driver out there right now in 2017 that can pull a record close to his, and thats the point, forget the series and look at the driver watch him race you can see someone ready for F1 even if they seem young and not in a conventional series.

You wouldn't rate someone higher just because they are in a higher tier series the Talent is the real measure.

Every Championship he has won has been as a Rookie that shows he gets to grips fast.

The Formula 2.0 isn't lumped together they are 3 seperate championships in different parts of Europe and mostly with different drivers.

Either way you find me a young driver out there right now in 2017 that can pull a record close to his, and thats the point, forget the series and look at the driver watch him race you can see someone ready for F1 even if they seem young and not in a conventional series.

You wouldn't rate someone higher just because they are in a higher tier series the Talent is the real measure.

It's not the point, there are plenty of drivers now, that are good enough. No reason to pull in a new driver especially from F3. As I said people thought Lewis was ready for F1 without GP2, still he went.

It's not the point, there are plenty of drivers now, that are good enough. No reason to pull in a new driver especially from F3. As I said people thought Lewis was ready for F1 without GP2, still he went.
Im Sure good enough is what Williams thought when they got Stroll, but a driver isn't what the series he races in the driver is a driver and they are all different.

Im Sure good enough is what Williams thought when they got Stroll, but a driver isn't what the series he races in the driver is a driver and they are all different.

I highly doubt they thought that, they probably thought he would probably easily go on to do what he did in 2016 if he stayed in lower series, so why not promote a former Ferrari Academy driver that seems like a future prospect and even more so has plenty of money to bring. Problem is Formula 1 isn't that easy and not every F3/GP3 winner is going to be the next Max Verstappen.

I highly doubt they thought that, they probably thought he would probably easily go on to do what he did in 2016 if he stayed in lower series, so why not promote a former Ferrari Academy driver that seems like a future prospect and even more so has plenty of money to bring. Problem is Formula 1 isn't that easy and not every F3/GP3 winner is going to be the next Max Verstappen.
It was clear Williams where looking for money and when signing said pay driver it definetely looks like they saw Stroll as a good enough for winning a championship and having the super license points.

But not all Champions are Equal is the point I'm saying.

It was clear Williams where looking for money and when signing said pay driver it definetely looks like they saw Stroll as a good enough for winning a championship and having the super license points.

But not all Champions are Equal is the point I'm saying.

It's the same point I've said all along, so no I dont believe it's the point your making, since you've said Lando is ready. And I've said exactly what I just bolded from your last post. That extends to the series/championships as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back