The GT6 Epic Whining and Crying Thread

• Thread starter HaylRayzor
  • 6,682 comments
Saying GT6 is the best "console" sim is a little like saying my girlfriend is the prettiest of the average looking girls in school. It's fine to say I like it in spite of it's flaws, most people do, but you can't possibly be objective if you think that the GT series is now middle of the pack at best and sometimes bordering on last place in almost every core sim category.
This is where the perception thing and the preference thing intersect so strongly, and often in favor of Gran Turismo.

Those "last place" categories are undeniable. But at the same time, it's also undeniable that a number of us fans of Gran Turismo aren't as put off by the issues that truly could stand to be better, as you die hard critics. Sounds could be better? Sure. A.I. could be better? Sure. Actual damage in the game? Sure. Do those things hurt the game? For us, not so much. And that's just a fact of life. What you do with this fact is up to you. Whether considering us brain dead cretins or disconnected fanboys... likely some of both for a portion of the millions of gamers. The one thing I would beg to differ on is that we cripple the series because we don't push Kaz and the team to reach higher. Of all things said about the team, this is least true.

I think some of you really need to go back and play GT1 again and GT5 side by side to see how drastically this microcosm of motorsports has improved from those not so humble beginnings. And to reread those interviews with Kaz with a less jaded eye. He has constantly striven to do two things in Gran Turismo: capture the world of the automobile in order for you to taste some of that love of cars he has. And, to put you behind the wheel of a car to the best of the team's ability. This has been particularly true after Kaz became involved in pro racing. Not just a car nut in the stands, but someone who the team was counting on to do his part to push them ahead of dozens of other drivers doing their best to see that they failed.

I know other racing games have better bot A.I., but that much better? Not everyone agrees with you guys. The same with car sounds. While some of us come away from a stint with GT5 feeling let down and wonder if you'll play it again, many of us can hardly wait for the next time we have some time to spend with our virtual rides. We don't get this same flavor, this thrill, this sense of something majestic in other games. It doesn't mean those games are bad, or lame, or whatever negative connotation one would assume. It doesn't necessarily even make sense. But it's undeniable, how millions of us are addicted to this game, and hold the team in such high regard, especially the visionary at the helm. Is it madness? I don't know, I don't care. I love this game series, more than any other racer, and the people who bring it to life.

This is where the perception thing and the preference thing intersect so strongly, and often in favor of Gran Turismo.

Those "last place" categories are undeniable. But at the same time, it's also undeniable that a number of us fans of Gran Turismo aren't as put off by the issues that truly could stand to be better, as you die hard critics. Sounds could be better? Sure. A.I. could be better? Sure. Actual damage in the game? Sure. Do those things hurt the game? For us, not so much. And that's just a fact of life. What you do with this fact is up to you. Whether considering us brain dead cretins or disconnected fanboys... likely some of both for a portion of the millions of gamers. The one thing I would beg to differ on is that we cripple the series because we don't push Kaz and the team to reach higher. Of all things said about the team, this is least true.

I think some of you really need to go back and play GT1 again and GT5 side by side to see how drastically this microcosm of motorsports has improved from those not so humble beginnings. And to reread those interviews with Kaz with a less jaded eye. He has constantly striven to do two things in Gran Turismo: capture the world of the automobile in order for you to taste some of that love of cars he has. And, to put you behind the wheel of a car to the best of the team's ability. This has been particularly true after Kaz became involved in pro racing. Not just a car nut in the stands, but someone who the team was counting on to do his part to push them ahead of dozens of other drivers doing their best to see that they failed.

I know other racing games have better bot A.I., but that much better? Not everyone agrees with you guys. The same with car sounds. While some of us come away from a stint with GT5 feeling let down and wonder if you'll play it again, many of us can hardly wait for the next time we have some time to spend with our virtual rides. We don't get this same flavor, this thrill, this sense of something majestic in other games. It doesn't mean those games are bad, or lame, or whatever negative connotation one would assume. It doesn't necessarily even make sense. But it's undeniable, how millions of us are addicted to this game, and hold the team in such high regard, especially the visionary at the helm. Is it madness? I don't know, I don't care. I love this game series, more than any other racer, and the people who bring it to life.
Hear hear! :P Lol

You seem the type of person never satisfied: So the first GT game to feature dynamic time and weather, full car interiors, 16 cars (as opposed to 6), car damage, full online support, driver gear, wasn't innovative?

What's innovative to you? A car running on square wheels?

The better question would be what's innovative about those features? I mean, other than a vast collection of driver gear far outnumbering any similar feature in other games...

The better question would be what's innovative about those features? I mean, other than a vast collection of driver gear far outnumbering any similar feature in other games...

Granted it's not innovative as in "ground breaking" - but its never been done before to such an extent has it?

@mr_serious: I don't blame you for feeling that way. While I'm still getting GT6 day 1 and a part of me expects the best, another part of me will not be surprised if GT6 has some of the same silly and asinine issues that GT5 had. The fact that we still need to buy a whole car just to paint our cars in different colors is a warning sign to me. If PD can't get something as simple as painting your car right, what else could they possibly have messed up on? I'm excited for this game but at the same time, I'm skeptical for how it will turn out.

Honestly, if GT6 turns out to be another bitter disappointment, then I see myself giving up on console racing games entirely. I won't bother with GT7 if PD still can't learn and I won't bother with Forza if MS continues to shaft us Fanatec owners.

Agreed. Sometimes in life and when situations occur like this, just remember this...

Peter La Fleur: "I found that if you have a goal, that you might not reach it. But if you don't have one, then you are never disappointed. And I gotta tell ya... it feels phenomenal."

Do you remember that line in Dodgeball? Its pretty good next to: White Goodman: "At Globo Gym we understand that "ugliness" and "fatness" are genetic disorders, much like baldness or necrophilia, and it's only your fault if you don't hate yourself enough to do something about it." That line could also apply to PD and the GT series. :D

I don't spend my money on a ton of games each year, so if the course creator and other stuff sucks...i'll live. Its one game and i'll play grand theft auto instead. We'll all get through this together.

Great impressions from him I must say. 👍 I was getting slightly worried he may find GT6 disappointing, but it turns out he was positive about it after trying it. So far, GT6 is shaping up to be a great game, unlike GT5...
Indeed. I especially like this:

Fourth session, as the three session before again on Silverstone in a BMW Z4, with DFGT but this time without ABS aid. I was able to get the best from physic engine, pushing my driving skills to the limit. I could control the car with greater security and sometimes I went off the apex just to brake at the maximum level without blocking tires.

You seem the type of person never satisfied: So the first GT game to feature dynamic time and weather, full car interiors, 16 cars (as opposed to 6), car damage, full online support, driver gear, wasn't innovative?

What's innovative to you? A car running on square wheels?

None of those features were new by then, so the game wasn't innovative.

It was for a GT game, off course. But Earth didn't mean that.

@Tenacious D and others, you might be interested in this fairly in depth review by a GT fan:

http://gtclub.forumfree.it/?t=67420143#entry545890364

This "no rebound" effect is true. I've sensed it when I tested GT6 at BGS. If you try to use the other cars as an edge to go around a corner, you will spin. Colliding with the bots has consequences now.

Hurt my eyes the "no sound improvement" bit, though.

Last edited:
@wowbaggerBR
Awwwwww those 12yr olds are gonna be disappointed, this is again something they could've added after they improved the A.I, now yes he did say something about A.I being a little more aggressive but I don't think it's that much of a difference seeing as PD hasn't come out and said anything about it,I just hope I'm wrong and there's some type of difficulty setting.

Comon PD, get the frame rate steady and I'll buy it...

This has me very worried to still occur so close to release in a nearly-final build. The increased resolution along with all the other visual enhancements might be too much for the PS3. What should we expect with weather, sub-30 fps? In a game like this, framerate should always be the top priority and then going for the eye-candy.

This has me very worried to still occur so close to release in a nearly-final build. The increased resolution along with all the other visual enhancements might be too much for the PS3. What should we expect with weather, sub-30 fps? In a game like this, framerate should always be the top priority and then going for the eye-candy.
You are absolutely right. I's a pity how many games get carried away with the need to always have more and better eyecandy, even if the hardware can't handle it. But hey, you gotta have those pretty screenshots, eh?

Quoting homepage news post by Jordan,https://www.gtplanet.net/gt6-hands-on/
My only issues with these new courses were some unsteady frame rates when a batch of cars got close together on the screen. Although it wasn’t severe, it was more significant than dropped frames I have seen while playing GT5.
Here we go... As expected. I had the same feeling with the GT Accademy demo powered by GT6. Stable frame rate always have been a PD trademark. No good news.

I think PD will try there best to sort this out. But PD Alone achieving this on PS3 is Mind Blowing.
It might very well be mind blowing how much they can squeeze out of the PS3, but I don't care about that if the game runs on a choppy frame rate. I would have liked PD to reason like this: 'GT5 was already at the very limits of the PS3 capabilities, so graphically GT6 is the same, but the gameplay and content is expanded so and so and we IMPROVED the frame rate'.

Yes that much better...I played RACE 07 again yesterday...AI is in another league. Fast, aggressive, eyt made mistakes if they pished too hard...

GT is so far behind in Racing AI, and racing atmosphere.. Why dont they have levels like games have had for 15 years? Casual for casual gamers. Sim or advanced for those who want good AI and no aids?? It's nt hard, every other game has been doing it forever. PD so far behind in this area.

Looks like racing in GT6 with aids off is gonna be a challenge. :)

Why?? Sounds like it was slightly improved, but GT's ai had nowhere else to go... It needs major improvements.

Last edited by a moderator:
You want me to explain why I liked his feedback on driving without ABS?
Just interested to know why you thought that was significant...

Since they introduced the ABS "0" option (GT5P I believe?) from the players I have seen, nobody seems to use it. The default setups with ABS at 0 are pretty much undriveable in GT5, but given some fiddling with the brake balance you can get some decent drivability with some cars.

I always thought the braking model in Ferrari 355 on the DC was absolutely spot on. Squeeze a bit to hard, a bit too late, and you get that tyre squeal and you end up increasing the slowing distance. Genuinely became part of the experience of every corner you took.

Just interested to know why you thought that was significant...

Since they introduced the ABS "0" option (GT5P I believe?) from the players I have seen, nobody seems to use it. The default setups with ABS at 0 are pretty much undriveable in GT5, but given some fiddling with the brake balance you can get some decent drivability with some cars.

I always thought the braking model in Ferrari 355 on the DC was absolutely spot on. Squeeze a bit to hard, a bit too late, and you get that tyre squeal and you end up increasing the slowing distance. Genuinely became part of the experience of every corner you took.
I see. Yes ABS0 is rare but it is used, and there is a small group of hardcore users dedicated to it like the infamous @Ridox2JZGTE who is very enthusiastic about it and uses a DS3. When DeadNutsEven http://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/deadnutseven-where-anyone-can-win.268235/ was active, about half our regular racers ran with no ABS.

At stock BB's yes, I find it near impossible, but with some brake tuning any car can be driven without ABS. You can drive anything from A 787B at the Nurb on RH tires to the slowest sedan on CH tires without ABS with a little practice. I routinely use it in Spec and Shuffle lobbies and rarely does anyone notice. It simply brings the game to life for me and requires intense concentration to be smooth and fast. I can't wait to try it in GT6, outside of the new tracks it's the thing I look forward to the most.

You can find some information on it here: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/abs-0-community-where-are-you.264980/

Last edited:
It's funny you say that because I said just last week that GT6 will be a day one purchase for me, and I stand by that. The updated car and track lists alone have me very excited. But from my point of view, all I'm seeing is a lot of negativity towards Kaz/PD's decisions. That's fine, but that was the reason for my comment.
Okay, then we are in agreement?

Sorry, I say this as you seemed to imply that fans would not be buying GT6 over GT5 - hence my own comment. I agree, there is a surprising amount of negativity on this site - mind you, it is mostly from a disproportionately small number of people who appear to be unhappy bunnies.

I see. Yes ABS0 is rare but it is used, and there is a small group of hardcore users dedicated to it like the infamous @Ridox2JZGTE who is very enthusiastic about it and uses a DS3. When DeadNutsEven http://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/deadnutseven-where-anyone-can-win.268235/ was active, about half our regular racers ran with no ABS.

At stock BB's yes, I find it near impossible, but with some brake tuning any car can be driven without ABS. You can drive anything from A 787B at the Nurb on RH tires to the slowest sedan on CH tires without ABS with a little practice. I routinely use it in Spec and Shuffle lobbies and rarely does anyone notice. It simply brings the game to life for me and requires intense concentration to be smooth and fast. I can't wait to try it in GT6, outside of the new tracks it's the thing I look forward to the most.

You can find some information on it here: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/abs-0-community-where-are-you.264980/
True it is definitely possible to run no abs,I find it mostly not being used in drift lobbies, so I'll turn my BB to 0 in the front and 1 in the back and that will give me a decent amount of stopping power almost like using abs.But most drifters will use the stock BB because it's the equivalent of the ebrake.

Last edited:
@Tenacious D and others, you might be interested in this fairly in depth review by a GT fan:

http://gtclub.forumfree.it/?t=67420143#entry545890364
I meant to thank you for this last night and today, but I'm a little shortbussed today. This and Jordan's recent quick critique of the latest public build are seriously encouraging. Maybe bigspleen will think the bots are worth racing against. And collisions having more realistic consequence is going to help make racing online more sensible and realistic, I hope. I'm looking forward more than ever to this crazy thing landing in my sweaty littlebig hands in December as an early Christmas present from Japan.

Okay, then we are in agreement?

Sorry, I say this as you seemed to imply that fans would not be buying GT6 over GT5 - hence my own comment. I agree, there is a surprising amount of negativity on this site - mind you, it is mostly from a disproportionately small number of people who appear to be unhappy bunnies.
I did say that yes, but I'm just saying that I will be buying it. Whatever lol I'm confused.

I meant to thank you for this last night and today, but I'm a little shortbussed today. This and Jordan's recent quick critique of the latest public build are seriously encouraging. Maybe bigspleen will think the bots are worth racing against. And collisions having more realistic consequence is going to help make racing online more sensible and realistic, I hope. I'm looking forward more than ever to this crazy thing landing in my sweaty littlebig hands in December as an early Christmas present from Japan.
Anything for you buddy:cheers:. The parts of the game I care about, physics and tracks are looking good. Sounds I will live with I have no choice. If I can get away with it, I'll never race ASpec so the AI doesn't matter to me at all. Now if we can get a little more playability online I'll be all set.

Back