The Project CARS Video Thread

• Thread starter Ameer67
  • 5,999 comments
The thing that concerns me is that every other racing Game/Sim has more "tire squeal sound effect” than Project Cars. I know any tire will make noise when pushed hard into corners.
Well slick tyres don't make much noise in real life, so I think PCARS gets it right. At least regarding race cars.

By the way, does anyone know how customizable the virtual gauges are? I've so far only seen the one with the digital rev-counter/digital speedo combo, and the very simplistic one with no rev-counter at all (which I really don't like). And they were always placed in the bottom right corner, and rather small. As I'm a bumper cam racer I would like them to be bottom center and a tad bigger...and analog gauges wouldn't be so bad, either, especially on older cars.

There are tire noises and yes they are important. I can clearly hear them and find them refreshingly subtle. GT6 and AC tire squeals are quite annoying to my ears and a highly pitched squeal doesn't add any information to me over the scrubbing i can hear and feel in PCars.

EDIT: Just saw the "Premium" badge appearing below my Avatar! What does this mean to me?

Well slick tyres don't make much noise in real life, so I think PCARS gets it right. At least regarding race cars.

By the way, does anyone know how customizable the virtual gauges are? I've so far only seen the one with the digital rev-counter/digital speedo combo, and the very simplistic one with no rev-counter at all (which I really don't like). And they were always placed in the bottom right corner, and rather small. As I'm a bumper cam racer I would like them to be bottom center and a tad bigger...and analog gauges wouldn't be so bad, either, especially on older cars.
there was a PS4 video a short while back that showed complete customisation of the HUD. they moved the speedo, mini map, split time and even the rear view mirror round the edges of the screen. a lot of options.

Some users here and there are mentioning Pcars2 over and over again! I don't get it. Pcars isn't released yet and people start talking about part 2! Sure there are things that can't be done in Pcars but I don't get that "future talk". Seems to me like people are getting greedy or something like that. Be thankful for what we get these days... Ok, mid May it is. Hope you get what I mean.

Let me explain where this comes from and state that I am a WMD member. So I am on the 'makers' side of the fence.

When we initially thought up all the things we wished to include into the current project we made a 'wishlist of features'. A list which ranges from physics to sound to graphics... even if we would want all the buttons to be working in a car and assignable.
Some of this things were dropped, some were kept. But also the great ideas that couldn't make it were put on hold for either post-release adding into the game or to keep it in store for Project CARS 2. The latter was often due to the extensive development time needed to implement the features.

So if Project CARS becomes a hit and sells well enough that SMS can take the plunge for a second installment there already is a list of ideas and wishes from the community to consider and start to build upon. Including, of course, the ideas/wishes of the SMS developers themselves.

So when I mention Project CARS 2 it is not because of greed, but more to say that it's probably to time consumingly or big of an overhaul for the game engine for SMS to add via a patch. Thus it is on an idea and wishlist for future use.

The thing that concerns me is that every other racing Game/Sim has more "tire squeal sound effect” than Project Cars. I know any tire will make noise when pushed hard into corners.

Ugh, tyre squeal is way way over done in GT6, turn a corner, eeeerrrrrr, corner after corner. Done well it adds to the feedback, when it drowns out every other ambient sound it just becomes annoying

Right now I only see the good cause when giving money to the site. I don't need private conversation and the commercial banners aren't bothering me (can't see any in mobile mode).
Am I missing something? ...me, the second class member. :lol:

German Video (P1TV) showing a GT3 Race on Nürburgring GP. It is a MP session with two players and they filled up the field with AI. The second player (DriversView) is a motoring journalist with RL driving experience on some high end and race cars.

Can you tell me what they are saying? Pretty good video, shows the MP and AI.

Can you tell me what they are saying? Pretty good video, shows the MP and AI.

Pros:
- R8 LMS Ultra is spot on (Grippy, progressive - Journalist has driven exactly this combination in RL before)
- RUF GT3 Understeer is also just like in RL
- Lobby Options/Design
- Game runs butter smooth
- AI in MP is praised (feature and execution)
- Very good FFB
- Racing feel is very good
- Is reckoned as a potential MP Hit
- driving dynamics off throttle are correct
- 2nd race -> distinct different feel between race/road cars
- Scenery/Feel/Elevation Changes are spot on for the landscape in southern France
- Awesome tunnel reverb
- 1M can be heard from the Merc, Merc cant really be heard from the 1M -> realistic because 1M is much louder

Cons:
- HUD settings aren't saved yet
- Kurb FFB a little weak
- Journalist has some lags
- some distant trees are flickering
- FFB needs to be set up properly in order to give optimal results

That's pretty good evaluation. On my wheel I don't need to do much tinkering with FFB, but I know some wheels you do have to do a little. Seemed like the races were well in sync and fun (at least at the Ring).

On the MP side of things, nice they got that no shift-bug sorted out this week and I think damage/weather syncing is now working correctly as well, which was a problem that would sometimes happen. I think we're getting close to that gold-readiness state.

It's a little off topic so please excuse. For my rig review video: should I record the video and add the commentary later on (like a separate audio track)? For recording I want to use my iPhone6. What software should I use? Is windows movie maker ok for that, because my laptop isn't that powerful (old Lenovo r60). I have the iMovie app on that phone too. Any suggestions?! Thank you.

Pros:
- R8 LMS Ultra is spot on (Grippy, progressive - Journalist has driven exactly this combination in RL before)
- Lobby Options/Design
- Very good FFB
- Scenery/Feel/Elevation Changes are spot on for the landscape in southern France
- Awesome tunnel reverb
- 1M can be heard from the Merc, Merc cant really be heard from the 1M -> realistic because 1M is much louder

Cons:
- Kurb FFB a little weak
Brilliant stuff - All the pros are good and the cons are all stuff I don't really mind (Apart from HUD settings and tree flicker, but even that isn't a huge issue for me).

That's pretty good evaluation. On my wheel I don't need to do much tinkering with FFB, but I know some wheels you do have to do a little. Seemed like the races were well in sync and fun (at least at the Ring).

On the MP side of things, nice they got that no shift-bug sorted out this week and I think damage/weather syncing is now working correctly as well, which was a problem that would sometimes happen. I think we're getting close to that gold-readiness state.

Little issues, which compared to the huge list of pros, ensure 93-95 review score. That's my estimate.

Hi

Race with the BMW M3 GT2 in the circuit of Brands Hatch

greeting

Hi Digiprost,
I am trying to find an answer to this question:
Which wheel would you say gives the best experience with Project CARS:
The Thrustmaster T300RS with standard PS Wheel, The Thrustmaster T300RS with TM Leather 28 GT Wheel or the Fanatec ClubSport Base with BMW M3 GT2 Rim??
I am asking because I see that you have used all of the above and I would like to get the combination that gives the best experience.
I understand that the CSW is more expensive, but I would still like to know if I should consider it or not.

Pros:
- Lobby Options/Design
- Very good FFB
- Awesome tunnel reverb

Cons:
- Kurb FFB a little weak

I really do not get why people complain about "kurb FFB a little weak". Has anyone thought about what happens to the front wheels when you drive over curbstones, before making a comment like that?

First of all... let's picture the front assembly...

250px-Steer_system.jpg

First of all we have a Spindle (#5) which rotates around a kingpin (grey points in #5). This spindle has a Spindle Arm (also called steering arm) which connects to the Tie-Rod (#4).
The Tie-Rods (#4) of both tyres connect to the Steering Rack (#3) which rotates a Pinion connected to the Steering Shaft (#2), to which your Steering Wheel (#1) is attached.

The important part is that your front end left tyres are connected via the steering rack. So even if only one tyre is inclined to twist around its kingpin, because it hits a curbstone edge (which is angled), it will not turn and at most jolt depending on the grip of the tyre that is on the tarmac on the other side.
If the camber is set properly, the tyre that is touching the tarmac should have full grip during cornering. Especially since the outside tyre has the full weight load during cornering. ;)

Now we know that the rack connects the tyres for the left right movement, we have to look at another connection rod.

The Anti-Roll Bar / Anti-Sway Bar / Sway Bar / Stabilizer Bar
Alfetta_front_suspension_antiroll.jpg

What this bar does is that it will cause both tyres to move up and down in unison. If the left side moves up and down, so will the right and vica versa.

In our curbstone case it means that if the driver hits a curbstone with his right tyre his left tyre is inclined to move in sync with it. So if the curbstone is a sawtooth model both wheels should move up and down in unison.

That said, of course an anti-roll bar is made in such a way that it will allow for a certain degree of independent suspension movement, but due to the high stiffness of race car springs the car won't have a lot of up and down movement of the tyres.
Also since the car rolls during cornering to the outside of the corner, the inside tyres will be lifted upwards due to this 'Anti-Roll Bar'. This creates an even lighter connection to the curbstones that are on the inside of the corner.
Which all means there isn't enough movement of the Tie-Rod (#4) when it goes up/down and a little left/right to make a BIG impact when hitting (most) curbs.

Since these springs are stiff and both tyres move fairly in unison, the whole front end of the car takes in vibrations from the suspension connection points. There they go into the chassis.
Since your steering wheel (bulkhead) and driverseat (bottom plate) are connected to the chassis they will take in these vibrations from the chassis, which you'll than feel in your hands and butt respectively.

Moral of the story?
You feel curbstones not through the steering wheel, instead you'll always feel it through the cars chassis that has taken in the vibrations. Which are transferred to your steering wheel, seat, gear shifter and even pedals.
This means that in order to replicate this properly from a Project CARS perspective you would need SimVibe to drive some Buttkickers when in Chassis-Mode. Which will than vibrate wheel, pedals, shifter and seat through your rigs chassis. That is the proper way of feeling curbs. :)

So people always seem to think that a curbstone really impacts a steering wheel's position, but it does not. It just impacts the car's chassis more, making everything vibrate like made, and that is what you feel in a real car.

Last edited:
...For my rig review video: should I record the video and add the commentary later on (like a separate audio track)? ...

I would use the separate audio track option. Get the shots you like and in the order you want, and then add some commentary. Its not like a commentary of a race, just your thoughts which can be matched to some pictures. Just my 2c.

I dont know anything about apple or software, but I do look forward to your review of the rig :)

Good luck :)

Back