The Thread About Ponies, Logistics and General Weirdness (And Gilda)TV 

  • Thread starter Thread starter TommyWizard
  • 35,371 comments
  • 3,755,292 views
EDIT:^Congrats.👍

And a premature Welcome to the featured-on-Equestria Daily club.




I found the real life equivalent in machines of somepony. Can you guess who it is?
 
Last edited:
>mfw there is actually a meetup happening fairly close to where I live:

2c1301fc177b4034a695774cb2f34dee.jpg
 
You going?

Also, I canceled my plans for comicon. I have almost no money right now. I'd definitely have enough to buy a ticket, get there, and then get back, but that would leave me with almost nothing.

If there was official pony stuff there I'd be perfectly willing to spend all of my money(not a joke, it really would be all of it) to be there.


Also, at the gym, watching ponies while working out. Like a boss.
 
Last edited:
Nah. I've been fiddling with this one:
Rainbow%252520Dash%252520Sketch.jpg


Which, since I haven't done anything like this for over 3 years now, is its going about as well as you would expect. I got rid of the base shapes easy enough (it looks fairly close to lineart now), but I'm sorta stuck now.

Ha, that'll be super easy to color xD

But I have a question.

As most of you know, I am a bad writer, but I have decent drawing skills.
So...I thought. Since I can't write my fan-fic, maybe I can draw it?

Each comic strip will contain 4 pictures.

What do you think? Should I even bother?

P.S. I already sketched some parts of the Prologue.
P.P.S. I still don't know how to name my story.
 
Uh, today was busy. It seems that spending a prolonged amount of time making small adjustments to images in Photoshop can really put a strain on your eyes.

OMG. Some guy is seriously bitching in the gallery because he's mad that putting image sources floods his RSS feeds or something.

Would that be the same guy who has posted a number of comments concerning image sources over the past month of so? Seriously, why would somepony be that irritated about the occasional source comment being added to some images in our gallery?

Oh god. The New Dawn of the Old Night has been added to the PDF gallery. Now I can give myself a nervous breakdown from any room in my house!
I really should stop reading that damn story.

After reading the first chapter god knows how long ago, I haven't felt any urge to read the next part whatsoever. I can't even force myself to read it, not because of the what occurs in the story, but because the first part didn't draw me in as much as I wanted it to.

There are a few reasons for me to read it though, mainly just to find out what happened to one of the characters, and to see how Luna plots her sister's downfall. Who knows, I might actually go ahead and continue that story in the future, but at this point it's staying firmly on the back-burner.

Sethisto just replied saying my PMV was added to the Queue to go on ED :D

Congrats mate! Looks like the 9 Hours of editing payed off in the end.

>mfw there is actually a meetup happening fairly close to where I live:

I'm still waiting for someone to plan such a meetup in my area, athough the chances of that happening aren't that great.


Ha, that'll be super easy to color xD

It depends on what tools you use to colour in an image really, as well as how skilled you are at using those tools.

As most of you know, I am a bad writer, but I have decent drawing skills.
So...I thought. Since I can't write my fan-fic, maybe I can draw it?

Each comic strip will contain 4 pictures.

What do you think? Should I even bother?

Sounds interesting.

I say work to your strengths, I mean, if you feel it would be easier to draw your fanfic rather that write it, then you should go ahead and try it at least.
 
Last edited:
I say go for the comic style.

If you're not good with words, you might as well do it in the form of a comic strip.
Besides, I've only seen a few MLP Comic series'(don't remember the names), so you might as well make one of them.



Oh, and Toro, I'm actually thinking the character you were said you were starting to like was Gilda.
I'd actually be alright with that. I mean, I hate her because she acted like a bitch, but if you found some kind of justification for that I'd understand.

I mean, I'll hate her unless she does something canon to show that she's changed and is sorry for what she did, which is unlikely, but whatever.
 
Last edited:
It depends on what tools you use to colour in an image really, as well as how skilled you are at using those tools.

Pixlr. Just tried, colors are applying good. I think I'll color it tomorrow...

Sounds interesting.

I say work to your strengths, I mean, if you feel it would be easier to draw your fanfic rather that write it, then you should go ahead and try it at least.

Yeah, I sure feel like that. Writing surely isn't my strength.

I'll make the Prologue, then I will see if I have what it takes to draw the whole story.


Vacation has ended. Today was the first day shift. tired like Applejack bucking 1000+ trees.

night_pony_by_unitoone-d3raxii.png
 
You going?
Eh, maybe. "Close to where I live" is still about 2 and a half hours away. If I make a day out of it it won't be so bad, but I'd like a bit more info about what is happening.


Ha, that'll be super easy to color xD
Some of us were not born to do that stuff. Some of us were at one point really good at that sort of thing, than underage-drank most of the knowledge away in the following years.

As most of you know, I am a bad writer
Hey. None of that.

I still haven't been able to read yours, but that is just because you handed it off to me at a colossally bad time. Tomorrow I'm going to be away from the computer all day (incidentally, this means I won't be around to organize the races, so someone else will have to do it if they want it to happen), so I will read it then.



I mean, if you think it would be better if you told the story visually, then feel free; but don't dump on yourself unnecessarily.



Would that be the same guy who has posted a number of comments concerning image sources over the past month of so? Seriously, why would somepony be that irritated about the occasional source comment being added to some images in our gallery?
What bothers me is that this isn't some new thing.
The comments have been used first and foremost for sources since the gallery was started, so I don't see how it being in Google+ somehow means I should bend to his whim and stop just because he has it set to autoupdate when comments are posted.


After reading the first chapter god knows how long ago, I haven't felt any urge to read the next part whatsoever. I can't even force myself to read it, not because of the what occurs in the story, but because the first part didn't draw me in as much as I wanted it to.

There are a few reasons for me to read it though, mainly just to find out what happened to one of the characters, and to see how Luna plots her sister's downfall. Who knows, I might actually go ahead and continue that story in the future, but at this point it's staying firmly on the back-burner.
I downloaded it and read it last night just before I went to bed.




Not my best idea.
 
Has anyone been adding to the Bronytar account in my absence? If not...I've got some work to do. :sick:
 
^I haven't, plus I don't think anyone else has either.

Tomorrow I'm going to be away from the computer all day (incidentally, this means I won't be around to organize the races, so someone else will have to do it if they want it to happen)

Well, I would consider organising some races, but if anyone else wants to, then they can go ahead and do so. Personally, I think it would be better if someone else hosted them as I can't set an exact time to start any possible races tomorrow, plus there's still a chance that I might go out Saturday night too.

What bothers me is that this isn't some new thing.
The comments have been used first and foremost for sources since the gallery was started, so I don't see how it being in Google+ somehow means I should bend to his whim and stop just because he has it set to autoupdate when comments are posted.

I can't get my head around why someone would react that way to something so trivial, but whatever.


In all fairness, he should just learn to:
41938%252520-%252520deal_with_it%252520luna%252520meme%252520sunglasses.jpg






Anyway, for some reason, the last frame in this comic made my day:
she_did_it_again_by_spyrothefox-d46vmd8.jpg
 
33268%25252520-%25252520advice_pony%25252520and_thats_how_equestria_was_made%25252520equestria%25252520pinkie_pie.jpg


Literally, in this case.













This shirt, man.

46075%252520-%252520artist%252520dalapony%252520caption%252520meme%252520rainbow_dash.jpg


Also, official, so there's that.




Oh, and Toro, I'm actually thinking the character you were said you were starting to like was Gilda.
I'd actually be alright with that. I mean, I hate her because she acted like a bitch, but if you found some kind of justification for that I'd understand.

I mean, I'll hate her unless she does something canon to show that she's changed and is sorry for what she did, which is unlikely, but whatever.

Its a delicate situation, to be sure.

Canon Gilda is a massive bitch (albeit nowhere near to the level of the bitch twins), but Heart of Gold Gilda is so much better than canon Gilda (and Heart of Gold is so much better than Griffon The Brush-Off) that I can't help but sorta like canon Gilda simply for existing as a logical base to build off of. And I hate when fanon is better than canon. It never causes anything but problems.





As someone who made it a point to never get attached to Luna for that exact reason, this troubles me. I mean, I can take solace in the fact that Gilda is probably never coming back to the show so it will probably never really be an issue like it is going to be for the people who are crazy about Luna, but I'm still really conflicted.
 
Last edited:
131378599566.png

That's cute.

Look at the apples, they look juicy.
131378386730.jpg

Really juicy, but not as juicy as other apples I've seen recently, did I mention that they were apples.

Anyway, characters are what their cannon is, regardless of their portrait outside the canon.
 
Anyway, characters are what their cannon is, regardless of their portrait outside the canon.

That's just it though, there is no canon explanation for the background of any of these characters.

The only ones with a full canon background are the Mane 6 and Spike.

So the only background for them is the fanon one.


I mean, I don't like Gilda, but if someone finds a fanon reason to suggest that they aren't as bad as they seem, and it doesn't conflict with the canon version of that character, I don't see a problem.(Silver and Diamond are exceptions of course)
 
Last edited:
That's just it though, there is no canon explanation for the background of any of these characters.

The only ones with a fell canon background are the Mane 6 and Spike.

So the only background for them is the fanon one.

True, and actually, that's a very interesting point.

Is interesting because the characters that receive background are characters which justification and role is determined to fulfil an specific task in the story, in the case of Gilda, the story is driven to be an antagonist for a main character, and considering their target audience, the dilemma produced by the motivations behind Gilda will result in a complex ethic dilemma, and not a simple one to be handed to the target audience.

All characters have motivations, everyone have motivations for their actions, but this is based on the the background offered, and its a common result that people who follow a background will result engaged with the characters, because often these characters will follow a common sense of actions, which creates some sort of identification with them.

Probably that's the base for a good story, however common sense and individual perception of a situation that does not involves a dilemma will result in an actually identification with characters, I said this previously, but I'm derping a lot today.

And, that actually got me thinking for a sec.

Almost forgot, characters are determinate by their actions, not a strong point for Gilda, but still relevant for the whole characterization and identification issue.
 
Anyway, characters are what their cannon is, regardless of their portrait outside the canon.
True, but it is only an actual problem when one contradicts the other. Technically, even something as 🤬 up as the Severing/Reconnection combo is perfectly justifiable as a character backstory.



Heart of Gold gets a bit creative with canon events at times (though no more than Macintosh did when it was doing its world-building), but it never comes close to contradicting them and generally plays them exactly as they occurred. And after a while it goes off and does its own thing not directly related to Griffon the Brush-Off anyways, so unless she comes back sometime in the future its really a matter of "What difference does it make what canon says?"
 
Technically, even something as 🤬 up as the Severing/Reconnection combo is perfectly justifiable as a character backstory.


.......................Dammit you're right.

Well, I avoided that thought, and my power is flashing and.....wait......the powers flashing, and I've got Macintosh on my laptop....I'm an idiot. I'm going to Macintosh now. That's sure to make me stop thinking about that story again.
 
True, but it is only an actual problem when one contradicts the other. Technically, even something as 🤬 up as the Severing/Reconnection combo is perfectly justifiable as a character backstory.



Heart of Gold gets a bit creative with canon events at times (though no more than Macintosh did when it was doing its world-building), but it never comes close to contradicting them and generally plays them exactly as they occurred. And after a while it goes off and does its own thing not directly related to Griffon the Brush-Off anyways, so unless she comes back sometime in the future its really a matter of "What difference does it make what canon says?"

This is more like an opinion, but I think that there isn't a unique character to talk about, and its more down to the writer's perception of the character's profile and characteristics, which creates a different character depending on the writer(as redundant as it sounds).

This is also interesting because a writer can create a character that equally resembles the canon, however, I consider Gilda's actions more like a portrait of her character, instead of full characterization of herself, something like an stereotype rather, this makes her writing easier, something that can be said about Luna's and Trixie's story basis, however one particularity of MLP is that it portraits its characters and then it gives them some little details that creates a full character, instead of an stereotype.

I see characters from fanfics as different to characters from the canon(this is mostly attributed to that the writers that gives a different portrait of Celestia and Pinkie pie depending on the episode, unlike the other mane 5), and I consider each character from each source(even in the canon) to be different, regardless to their attributes and how they closely or equally resemble the original/canonical character.



And Rarity is the best pony, no doubt about it.
 
Alright, now I'm starting Macintosh.
I opened it up, and was suddenly hit with a large amount of hunger, but I'm good now.

To Macintosh.
Gotta%252520Find%252520Those%252520Fanfics%252521.gif

Yeah, I've got a reading image now too.

I'm starting to consider moving back to Chrome. I love this Macintosh theme, but I've got everything layed out in FF the same way it is on Chrome, and the only toolbar I ever used is now part of my windows task bar. And Bookmark sync on my phone would be awesome, because FF Mobile is awful.
 
Well, no, you can't directly compare fanon interpretations of characters to canon interpretations of characters. But there is wiggle room, so long as you have enough to go on that you can come up with a plausible explanation for your interpretations of the events at face value without making things up (or, at the very least, expanding on canon events logically).



For example, there are several different interpretations for Pinkamena in Party of One that can all be explained by Pinkie's actions in other episodes; and none of them are any more or less valid than each other because the show will never ever touch upon that sort of stuff to give an official canon answer.

Meanwhile, a fan explanation for why Prince Douche acted the way he did would requite require a bunch of background information that is almost completely made up, and thus is quite a different story altogether.
 
Last edited:
Macintosh
*middle of the field crying his eyes out was a young...***...colt"

I.....but.....holy 🤬

I told myself I wouldn't comment on the forums while reading this, but 🤬. I'm not entirely sure what word describes the feeling, the closest I can think of is surprise amazement, although it's really a mixture of a whole bunch of feelings.

Alright, that's it for comments unless something else that amazing happens. Given the story though that might not be too long.

Done 15. I'll finish up 16 and leave the rest for another time.

I wonder if....no....no, nevermind. I was thinking about Trixie for a minute but that wouldn't work......I think.
I doubt it'll happen, but there's no way to tell just yet.





🤬.....16 is a big one. Well, here I go.

EDIT:
Alright, since there's nothing to deep going on right now, I guess I'll comment on one thing.
If I'm right, and those lanterns reflect the sunlight in a certain way or something like that, it means I can understand what Derpy is saying.'
EDIT: I can't. But what she did would have been my second guess.
Ditzy is a damn creative genius.




EDIT: You know that feeling before Christmas or a Birthday when you know something really great is coming your way? Well whatever that thing is that's making them all tell Macintosh to stay until sunrise is, I'm getting that feeling because of it.
EDIT: I have never been this eager for something in a story.
 
Last edited:
I see a few posters have been bitten by the drawing parasprite; perhaps it's time to join the Artist Training Grounds over on EqD?

I wouldn't have been able to join you anyway, at least, not until Saturday. Saturday night I plan on doing a fair bit of TF2, since I don't have work sunday 'n' all.

We're gonna be LANning Bad Company 2 on Saturday :D... Man, you don't know how long and hard I want those new TF2 Deus Ex weapons HGNNNNNNNNNN

The sorta people that post this:
I hear about this story ALL THE TIME, so it's time I read it!

I'm finding myself really confounded by Twilight's attitude towards Trixie at the beginning. First a lingering sense of responsibility -- that I get -- but then worry and finally anger? What?

What?

What? I'm so not buying this. So Twilight's been secretly in love with Trixie ever since she ran out of Ponyville? Heck no at all. If not for the praise I've heard about this story and that seal of approval up there, I'd have stopped reading before the end of chapter 2. Just... the amount of injokes and fanservice! The telegraphing! I'd rather read about the Cutie Mark Crusader dragon slayers.

I can't finish this. Maybe it's the hype, maybe I had some weird expectations coming into this, but it's just not doing anything for me. I expected a little more finesse, I suppose.

I.e., asshats. Although I've got a sudden little surge of positive reviews, turns out there's a fair few repeat customers. Mostly non-Halo fans funnily enough. XD

Yay for repeat customers--I realized 13 chapters late that there was a way to give my repeat readers their handles in Googledocs so they wouldn't all be Anon####

And yeah, I remember that review. I'm guessing he came in looking for something a quite a bit more romantic and emotionally-engaging than the alcoholic ponies he found :D

I've seen my fair share of reviews like that, though--I remember one in the Q&Neigh that read something like, "The romance sucks and the comedy doesn't make up for it." Can't please everyone, so I just continue writing what's funny to me and I try not to worry too much about it (until these more recent chapters, anyways XD)


Oh, and this is still the greatest PMV of all time.


Aaaand even though I've seen it, I go ahead and watch the whole damn thing again cause it's that great. Thanks for taking away those 20 minutes I could have spent replying, Mint.

And I sort of like this style:
130746998287.png

I sort of love it. I've always liked loose cartoony style like that. It helps that the coloring is great, too.

and_a_word_from_our_sponsors_by_johnjoseco-d472agh.jpg

Not sure if this was posted here before, but SoarenPie is so much better than any other pairing.

Please, please tell me I'm not the only one thinking Soarin could make an excellent American Pie parody.

God its done... After 9 Hours of editing its finally done... Here is my new PMV guys
(It's also my 1st)



My name is not Barack Obama, but I approve of this video.

Since I can't remember, have some Drawfriends badassery.
1313641489.baroncoon_pony-needs-speed.png


Badass indeed, but I think AJ would be more at home on one of those. Dash would be all about the liter bikes, methinks. *Imagines Dash in Repsol Honda livery*

>mfw there is actually a meetup happening fairly close to where I live:

The jellies. I have them. One of Puerto Rico's biggest faults is that fandoms here are very scattered and prone to pettiness and decentralization. The gaming scene here is like that and it made me drop out of the Smash tournament scene.

Ha, that'll be super easy to color xD

But I have a question.

As most of you know, I am a bad writer, but I have decent drawing skills.
So...I thought. Since I can't write my fan-fic, maybe I can draw it?

Each comic strip will contain 4 pictures.

What do you think? Should I even bother?

P.S. I already sketched some parts of the Prologue.
P.P.S. I still don't know how to name my story.

Like Toro said, no need to dump on yourself before even getting started. Storyboard it, make rough sketches, see where you're going with it, show it to people, get opinions and get to drawin' :D

This shirt, man.
Also, official, so there's that.

Dat shirt, man. Hmm, Rainbow Dash in a white suit and white fedora... Makes for a rather dashing image.


Too easy? Dapper Rainbow Dash sounds like something cool to draw, though.

And speaking of those shirts, DAT Steampunk AJ just might be the greatest thing ever.
 
My name is not Barack Obama, but I approve of this video.

Thank you.. I am planning a second one but not for a while :p

Funny thing is before I started making the Video I was going to use Fall Out Boy - I Don't Care but I was watching Comedy Central and that South Park episode with Live To Win (The WoW episode) came on and I thought that would be a good song to use for my PMV
 
At this point....I think I could put the way the story made me feel into words. It would take me pages to do so, but even though I have the time and the ability....I don't want to.

That story just means so much to me I don't think it's appropriate for me to even try to put into words.

I will say that I had to change my shirt because of how much I cried tears of unimaginable joy. But everything about that ending was perfect. I know not everyone will feel the same about it, and may never feel the same about a fanfiction, but this deserves a place not just in the forefront of my mind, but in my heart. It sounds girly as hell, but this really was something special to me, and I feel like trying to explain why only diminishes that.

I'm not even going to bother saying what position it has on my favorite fiction list.


You know, I was planning on playing some Forza after this, or maybe just watching some TV for a couple hours, but I just don't feel like doing anything else right now.

Good night everypony.
EDIT:Nevermind
 
Last edited:
At this point....I think I could put the way the story made me feel into words. It would take me pages to do so, but even though I have the time and the ability....I don't want to.

That story just means so much to me I don't think it's appropriate for me to even try to put into words.

I will say that I had to change my shirt because of how much I cried tears of unimaginable joy. But everything about that ending was perfect. I know not everyone will feel the same about it, and may never feel the same about a fanfiction, but this deserves a place not just in the forefront of my mind, but in my heart. It sounds girly as hell, but this really was something special to me, and I feel like trying to explain why only diminishes that.
I just finished it. I was crying throughout the last 5 chapters. I'm crying now. My shirt looks like I used it to mop a floor. Its the same happy sadness I had when I finished The Party Never Ended, where everything is just so upbeat and great that you just can't help it.
Sounds about right. Remember, you owe TotalOverflow a big sappy comment. Longer and sappier even than the one I posted (which doesn't leave you a lot of wiggle room, because I nearly maxed the box). I promised him one.


You're lucky that the story that grabbed you that hard is one that is already finished. That way the author can't torpedo the entire thing the following chapter and make you feel like an absolute asshole after you make a big sappy post talking about how much you connect with it.










Though, truth be told... *looks around* ...I'm enjoying Summer Days and Evening Flames almost exactly as much as I was Of Mares and Magic around Chapter 8, so fingers crossed I don't have to go through that crap again.
 
You guys are lucky, unless there is "Ace Pony Combat Zero" story among those fanfics, I don't think that I'll find a story in which I could identify myself or actually like that much. In any case, every fanfic that had the potential of impress me always ends up being disappointing(however that will probably be just me being too harsh towards them). I guess that I should just simply stay on the search for it.

Also, Macintosh seems to be a must, but is just too damn long, if I only had the time I would be reading it right now.

I fall more into visual design though, like this one:
131380882690.jpg


Not feeling in the mood of reading fanfics now, too many stuff to do: respond to some duels in JA, listening to an old Dark side of the Moon LP(Best pink floyd album, and probably best album ever)on this, and completing some stuff from work.

And yeah, I like that style too Gravekeeper, its sort of "over" the average, something about it, maybe the shapes.
 
Sounds about right. Remember, you owe TotalOverflow a big sappy comment.

Actually, it'll probably be something along the lines of the original comment I made here.

It'll probably be about the same length too unless something I want to add just comes to me. I mean, I love the story so much I still just don't want to try to put it into words any more than I already have. It's feelings similar to the ones I had initially, only with so much more.

I'll think more about it tomorrow, but I was just checking back in since I got back up to put my phone on charge.

Good luck with those fan-fics Toro, I hope they work out for you...

Please, please tell me I'm not the only one thinking Soarin could make an excellent American Pie parody.


That was actually the first thing that popped into my head.



Anyway, I'm going to sleep for real this time.

 
Last edited:
Sounds about right. Remember, you owe TotalOverflow a big sappy comment. Longer and sappier even than the one I posted (which doesn't leave you a lot of wiggle room, because I nearly maxed the box). I promised him one.

I guess my reaction to this story once I had completed it seemed slightly more reserved than yours and Mint's, not that I wasn't filled with pure joy upon finishing part 16, so much so that I was physically shaking in my seat (which is something I really didn't expect). It's hard for me to choose a place for Macintosh among my top 5 fanfics, but it's definitely near the top of my list, that's for sure. It's just brilliantly uplifting as a whole and even though it is kind of on the long side, don't let that put you off reading it, just don't. If anypony hasn't checked out Macintosh yet, I recommend that you find some time when possible and give it a look.



And Fluttershy's crying manly tears at the only anime series I currently watch:
47555%20-%20anime%20fluttercry%20kaiji%20manly%20manly_tears%20tears%20tv_meme%20you_better_cry.jpg

It's a great series if I'm honest.





So tired, g'night everypony:
39240%252520-%252520book%252520cute%252520daww%252520twilight_sparkle.jpg
 
Last edited:
Back