The Watch Discussion Thread

• Thread starter Silverzone
  • 1,456 comments
I have some cheapo one now. I use to have a nice one. It was a version of the Ironman Triathlon series from Timex. It had a countdown timer, chronograph, memo function, multiple time zones, and a 99 lap memory. I think that was about it. It was stolen years ago.

I have a Fossil, it's stainless with a blue analogue face and date. It was a Christmas gift about 4 years ago.
I suppose this is the '05 version:
AM3689.jpg

a6m5
Don't you have job or school? :D It's been a while, kikie! :)
It has been a while, yes. Thnx for noticing. It is always nice to see that I am apreciated in some degree :) I am not really having a "happy" life, lately
At the moment I don't have a job. If I want to know what time it is, I always find a watch, clock or whatever. It has become a second nature. And people can laugh all they want but my "internal biological clock" works like a charm. :) 💡

kikie
It has been a while, yes. Thnx for noticing. It is always nice to see that I am apreciated in some degree :) I am not really having a "happy" life, lately
At the moment I don't have a job. If I want to know what time it is, I always find a watch, clock or whatever. It has become a second nature. And people can laugh all they want but my "internal biological clock" works like a charm. :) 💡
Sorry to hear that. I hope it gets better for you soon! As for the "internal biological clock", yes, mine works as well.

I don't wear nor do I own a watch anymore. I'm part of the mobile-phone generation. If I need to know the time I just look at my phone, it's with me all the time. It has also replaced my need for an alarm clock.

RSCosworth
I don't wear nor do I own a watch anymore. I'm part of the mobile-phone generation. If I need to know the time I just look at my phone, it's with me all the time. It has also replaced my need for an alarm clock.
They do make great alarm clock, don' they? I do use the cell phone to tell time, especially when I go out to play basketball. You don't want expensive watches around while playing ball, so I just use my phone. 👍

a6m5
They do make great alarm clock, don' they? I do use the cell phone to tell time, especially when I go out to play basketball. You don't want expensive watches around while playing ball, so I just use my phone. 👍
They do. Mine has so irritating alarm noise it has never failed to wake me up.
And you're right about wearing a watch when doing something. If I had an expensive watch I'd be over-protetcive about it.

I had stopped wearing a watch for a while.
I own a Fossil, but it's been something of a disappointment.
It keeps decent time. But it kept falling off of the "good" band that it came with and ended up on a cheap leather band.
Plus, when you send them off for battery changes they come back all scratched up.

I also have two Wal-Mart specials that kept good time. I retired them after I had spent as much in batteries as I did purchasing them. Both are more than ten years old.

Ths year for father's day I convinced my lovely wife to buy me a watch. She made the mistake of taking me to the local jewelry store and letting me pick a watch.
I had wanted a Chase-Durer. ( www.chase-durer.com/ )
I ended up choosing a very nice Seiko Sportura, which was nearly twice the retail price of the Chase.
I also have a cell-phone, but with the limited pockets on scrubs, and the high possibility of the phone falling out of one of those pockets it to a variety of bodily fluids...
I find a wrist watch much more practical.
It may not be as "butch" as using a phone that was recently fished out of a pool of blood or vomit, or even a toilet. But as manly as I like to believe that I am. I'm not that "manly".

A6M5: For a good deal on a watch try www.overstock.com
I've not ordered from them. But the watch that I'm currently wearing was just over half price there. They have a heck of a selection if you're willing to take the time to sift thru the choices.

Gil
I had stopped wearing a watch for a while.
I own a Fossil, but it's been something of a disappointment.
It keeps decent time. But it kept falling off of the "good" band that it came with and ended up on a cheap leather band.
Plus, when you send them off for battery changes they come back all scratched up.

I also have two Wal-Mart specials that kept good time. I retired them after I had spent as much in batteries as I did purchasing them. Both are more than ten years old.

Ths year for father's day I convinced my lovely wife to buy me a watch. She made the mistake of taking me to the local jewelry store and letting me pick a watch.
I had wanted a Chase-Durer. ( www.chase-durer.com/ )
I ended up choosing a very nice Seiko Sportura, which was nearly twice the retail price of the Chase.
I also have a cell-phone, but with the limited pockets on scrubs, and the high possibility of the phone falling out of one of those pockets it to a variety of bodily fluids...
I find a wrist watch much more practical.
It may not be as "butch" as using a phone that was recently fished out of a pool of blood or vomit, or even a toilet. But as manly as I like to believe that I am. I'm not that "manly".

A6M5: For a good deal on a watch try www.overstock.com
I've not ordered from them. But the watch that I'm currently wearing was just over half price there. They have a heck of a selection if you're willing to take the time to sift thru the choices.

Thanks for the link, Gil. I'll definitely check it out. I can't believe you got the watch I wanted! :grumpy: :drool: :(

The Chases are excellent timepeices for the money.
$300 will get you a pilot's chrono, with tachymetre.
They're rugged, and good looking.
But I'm very happy with my Seiko.

I'm actually looking for a new watch right now. I saw a lovely Boss one on sale for $600 ($1200 regular). It was nice, but Boss is more of a name and may not have the same quality of saaay, my Movado. The other problem would have been the warranty since the store will no longer be a Boss retailer after they sell the last of their stock.

I'm looking for something clean, simple, and most importantly, well made. I seriously can not understand the fascination people have with these aviator type watches with the billion little hash-marks and dials. Sure, they're well built, but it's waaaaay too busy for my tastes.

My watch is a Finnish Leijona (Lion in English). It's quite well-worn, but as it's made of stainless steel, it keeps running after several showers and swimmings. I even washed it with soap once.

I have a Rado, which is an expensive Swiss made watch. It is scratchproof on the head of the watch (to a lot of things - but sandpaper can still scratch it). It also has little diamonds on the inside. Very nice watch - but I don't wear it that much.

I need to find a watch that I can wear for everyday things.

I'm currently wearing my Breitling Aerospace. Yes, I have the leather strap one, because I hate all metal clasp watches.

professional-aerospace-225.jpg

I have a cheap lorus digital with a metal strap, it looks stylish and moderately pricey.

x04-1703_sml.jpg

Thats the only picture I could find on the web, trust me it looks much better in real life :dopey:

I have an Elgin PQS chronograph with the hidden solar panel faceplate. I have had it for over ten years now and they didn't call it Eco Drive back then, at least Elgin didn't. I like knowing that as long as it only has a few minutes of sunlight or only less than a half hour of incandescent bulb light a day that it will remain fully charged and is good for up to a month.

It has a scratch on the faceplate and am considering having that fixed, but the only guy I knew who was willing to work on it closed his shop years ago and everyone else tells me to mail it to Elgin for any repair work. The only thing anyone will do is replace the band.

I understand what the Elgin brand is and that Elgin today is not what it was, so what is the big deal about just replacing the faceplate on my watch?

FoolKiller
I have an Elgin PQS chronograph with the hidden solar panel faceplate. I have had it for over ten years now and they didn't call it Eco Drive back then, at least Elgin didn't. I like knowing that as long as it only has a few minutes of sunlight or only less than a half hour of incandescent bulb light a day that it will remain fully charged and is good for up to a month.

It has a scratch on the faceplate and am considering having that fixed, but the only guy I knew who was willing to work on it closed his shop years ago and everyone else tells me to mail it to Elgin for any repair work. The only thing anyone will do is replace the band.

I understand what the Elgin brand is and that Elgin today is not what it was, so what is the big deal about just replacing the faceplate on my watch?
Rather than replacing, some jewelry stores will use a buffer over it to sand off a thin layer of the glass. It removes the sratch, but the face will also be a tad thinner and a little prone to cracking

I have a cheap Casio sport watch type thing. It says it has water resistance to 100 meters though

Back