The Weather Thread

• Thread starter dbartucci
  • 12,561 comments
We had enough snow here overnight for it to be borderline whether i could drive to work this morning. Went out at lunch and not only is there absolutely no sign of snow anywhere, but the roads are also bone-dry too!

This isn't looking very promising for the trip.

Screenshot_20180212-125723.png

Getting some snow tonight in the Northeast. Hopefully for me it isn't enough to have to shovel and deal with. It's only a few inches and should be warm and sunny tomorrow.

@TB

When I said bring me back something from Hawaii I did not mean a snow storm! :irked:
The drive back is turning out to be less than amusing. :ouch: About 20 miles to go.

Edit: Snow covered Interstate picture doesn't want to upload. That's how bad it is. :P

On the plus side, I don't have a bunch of clothes to wash. Yet. :lol:

TB
Out of curiosity, what qualifies as "very cold" over there?

Going by the colours on the diagram above, i'd say 'similar temperatures as currently experienced in Greenland, Northern Russia and the artic' :)

TB
Out of curiosity, what qualifies as "very cold" over there?

Pretty much any time it snows the UK grinds to a halt but when its -5C (23F) and below generally that's considered very cold... or as the Nordic countries call it, a balmy winters day!

Attachments

• upload_2018-2-27_16-28-34.png
    upload_2018-2-27_16-28-34.png
    244.4 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
Pretty much any time in snows the UK grinds to a halt but when its -5C (23F) and below generally that's considered very cold...
So the -40F (-40C) windchills we had this winter would have literally killed you. :lol:

23F at the end of winter and I'm in shorts. :D

Edit: Last week the summits of Mauna Kea and Mauna Loa on Hawaii had 50-60mph (gusting to 75) winds and 6-12 inches of snow. I was tempted to go up there anyway but decided to stay on the nice 82F beach instead. :P

It's now -7 ish here, and tomorrow evening and night it may dip to -10. During the day it stays just below 0, and they're calling it Siberian weather. Because of the windchill.

Sissies.

In the last week, the town I grew up in, and the town I live in (15,500km apart) both had once-in-decades floods.

Also, 14C here today, 15cm of snow tomorrow night. Bat**** crazy weather.

I drove through drifting snow tonight that was so cold it froze to the windscreen even with the heater on full blast... bloody horrible driving conditions. I live in Holderness which is basically a huge flat plain right beside the North Sea, the wind conditions right now are pretty bad. Not much new snow coming down but the grit isn't staying on the roads and I think we might be going to lose some tiles from the ridge tonight.

Fortunately Mrs. Ten is in control of the indoor thermostat and it's a toasty 1,000,000C all around the house :D

I had to laugh when I saw that in amongst all of the snow we're having in the UK at the minute a Highways Agency car managed to catch fire :lol: It's getting pretty deep (for the UK) in some areas, this is in Rochdale:
DXSMKJkWAAESyOk.jpg

At the same time this may be the most British thing ever:
https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/9...fic-chaos-Northumberland-travel-disruption-A1

There's not a lot of snow left in Cambridge anymore, the roads are getting quite dry now. At least the main roads are. The side roads still have some snow blowing over from the surrounding fields. I learned my lesson yesterday evening and will be sticking to the main roads tonight!

Last edited:
Back