We need a better clutch

Do you think GT sport needs a realistic clutch?

• Yes

Votes: 15 93.8%
  • No

Votes: 1 6.3%

• Total voters
United States
United States
This thread is my attempt at getting the attention of Polyphony Digital. There is no way to directly contact them that I'm aware of. I'm using GT sport with a steering wheel, pedals, and shifter to practice during the off season. My goal with this simulator is to learn good habits and muscle memory that transfer to the real world. With that said, It needs to be realistic.

The clutch is this game needs a lot of help. For a game calling itself the "real driving simulator" the clutch is pretty embarassing.

1. Cars with stock transmissions must be shifted very slowly to avoid misshifting. By the time u get into gear, you've lost all momentum. This isn't realistic. You can shift a stock trans stock clutch car as fast as you want. The game should mimic this if it's a true "driving simulator"

2. You can't shift gears at all while you're on the throttle. Again, unrealistic. We should be able to shift full throttle if we want.

3. Most cars only have the clutch option on the stock gearbox. Changing a cars gearing doesn't always result in a non-synchro type gearbox. (The turn14 BRZ is a good example. This car has adjustable gearing while retaining a clutch) Even if that WAS the case, a manual car with a dogbox type transmission (no synchros) still needs a clutch. How else would you drive it after u stopped? Even the cars equipped with a dual-clutch transmission (automatic essentially) should have the clutch option.

4. There is no "clutch kicking". If you rev the the engine to redline and release the clutch in GT sport, the rpm drops to zero. The spinning inertia from the engine does not transfer to the drivetrain like it should.

I'm wondering if this is all intentional? PD has plenty of real-world hands on experience with motorsports around the world. I've always had Gran Turismo since it was originally created.

I'm looking forward to the updates!

If they fix #1 and allow shifts to happen faster, does that mean people with a shifter will gain even more of an advantage over pedal using paddles?

Not in a car with a manual transmission, guys with shifters already have an edge there as far as I know.

If the guy using paddles, and the guy using a shifter both have to press the clutch down before shifting, I don't see how one is beneficial over the other. Unless the guy using a shifter is using H pattern Like I do. In that scenario, the guy using paddles would have the "edge".

If the guy using paddles, and the guy using a shifter both have to press the clutch down before shifting, I don't see how one is beneficial over the other. Unless the guy using a shifter is using H pattern Like I do. In that scenario, the guy using paddles would have the "edge".

It’s not the clutch it’s the shifter, a person can manually move the lever into the next gears faster than the game simulates a driver reaching for the stick and shifting it after hitting the paddle, shifter guys in the next gear and taking off before the guy using paddles driver even lifts his hand off the wheel to beging the shift. In a car that has manual H pattern gears anyways.

It’s not the clutch it’s the shifter, a person can manually move the lever into the next gears faster than the game simulates a driver reaching for the stick and shifting it after hitting the paddle, shifter guys in the next gear and taking off before the guy using paddles driver even lifts his hand off the wheel to beging the shift. In a car that has manual H pattern gears anyways.

I used the paddles for a while before I got my shifter. For me, the paddle always shifted into the next gear instantly. The driver in the cockpit always moved his hand after the fact. There is no delay with the paddles. If you're saying that the gear shift is delayed until the driver can actually shift into the next gear than that's just incorrect.

With H pattern, shifting takes time. More than just pressing a paddle button. H pattern also runs the chance of shifting into the wrong gear. Again, giving paddles the advantage. If the shifter is in sequential layout, it's shifts as fast as the paddles, but that doesn't include the time it takes to move your hand off of the wheel and over to the shifter. There is a reason all newer sports cars have paddle shifters and dual-clutch transmissions and that reason is because it's faster, and the driver spends less time taking his hands off of the wheel

Yeah I’m not talking sequential gears, they shift instantaniously. It’s street cars or old race cars with H pattern gears, when I hit the paddle they don’t shift right away, but the guy with the shifter shifts exactly when he moves the shifter, no delay. It’s worth around a second or so per lap depending on the car and driver, or at least that’s the word on the street around here. Welcome to GTP Man. :)

Here, watch this comparison.

Yeah I’m not talking sequential gears, they shift instantaniously. It’s street cars or old race cars with H pattern gears, when I hit the paddle they don’t shift right away, but the guy with the shifter shifts exactly when he moves the shifter, no delay. It’s worth around a second or so per lap depending on the car and driver, or at least that’s the word on the street around here. Welcome to GTP Man. :)

Here, watch this comparison.

Oh I see what you mean now. So the slow shifting issue needs to be fixed in general. In the older games, we were able to upgrade individual components. Like the clutch. And that made the car shift faster. Add that to the list of things that makes GT6 better.

Oh I see what you mean now. So the slow shifting issue needs to be fixed in general. In the older games, we were able to upgrade individual components. Like the clutch. And that made the car shift faster. Add that to the list of things that makes GT6 better.

You can still swap it out in any car for a sequential box, but when racing in the Daily or FIA races BoP is turned on, so your stuck with the manual gear box in those races and losing time for now unfortunately.

You can still swap it out in any car for a sequential box, but when racing in the Daily or FIA races BoP is turned on, so your stuck with the manual gear box in those races and losing time for now unfortunately.

This game has a lot of potential. Hopefully, they continue the updates!

There have been soooooooo many threads about this over the years. Here's a few of them that I can remember...

June 2018: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...crappy-clutch-hshifter-implementation.378670/

Dec 2013: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/clutch-still-an-utter-joke.292077/

Jan 2014: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/clutch-simulation.298089/

May 2014: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/clutch-model.309503/

They haven't listened in the past 10 years, I doubt they will start now.

Last edited:
That's what I was afraid of.

If you wanna know the history of how the clutch became the way it is, have a read of my posts in the first thread & follow the links. It's...interesting...

👍

I've gotten used to using the funky clutch in GT, but I don't like how I cant upgrade my trans and not be able to use my clutch still.

I've gotten used to using the funky clutch in GT, but I don't like how I cant upgrade my trans and not be able to use my clutch still.

The dumb thing is, some cars allow you to do just that. The Turn14 Drift BRZ allows you to change gearing while retaining a clutch. Because the car has quick change gearing in real life. We should be able to always run a clutch now matter the platform. EVEN in a car that is actually dual-clutch (paddle shifted)

You should check that car out. It allows you to shift quickly too. Only problem is, it's a drift car. and you can't clutch kick or shift at any % of throttle :banghead:

This has been a big problem for over a decade, sadly. Polyphony´s lack of interest in listening to us combined with the amount of people that thought the clutch was not an issue made it impossible for any changes to happen... Its very sad.

As of todays update (6-1-2019) the clutch has been upgraded!!!

-full throttle shifting is possible (still have to shift a little bit slow, but I'll take it!)

-clutch is no longer on/off button. It actually slips now!

Idk if WE did anything but I'm loving the updates!

FWIW, The clutch was slippable in gt6, so it was only a matter of time. Too bad it’s been such a long time

Back